Login to your account

Vae Victis

A sci-fi/fantasy roleplay where two titanic forces clash for ownership of a world. Will there be anything left once it's over?......

Tags: action, conflict, dragons, fantasy, guns, sci-fi, war, world

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Advanced

New Players: Open

Creator: enkerzed

Created: 07-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
Place:       Character:

Game Log in Star Fort Praetorius

The United Earth Space Fleet's stronghold in the Thule system and training grounds of the Raiders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 30 of 60

Thread: Vae Victis

1. Characters in this post:

The shuttle had fewer people on board than it left with a month ago, when the squad had been deployed for a hunting mission. There were twenty Raiders then, some new, some experienced, all of them uncertain whether they'd make it back to Fort Prateorius alive for some rest and relief, even under the leadership of Colonel Lucas Baskevyl, a first generation Raider.

But after four weeks, ten sorties, seven encounters and three confirmed dragon kills, they were coming back home, albeit only at half their original strength. Out of the twenty who had been deployed to the surface of Cadeca, only eleven were still alive.

It wasn't uncommon for entire squads to get wiped out. Elaine knew it could have been a lot worse, but that didn't make her feel any less weary to the bone. She turned her head to the front of the shuttle, to see what the pilot saw. An ocean of darkness and light, with Fort Prateorius steadily drifting closer in view. It was a true behemoth of a spacecraft, the size of a city, and Elaine watched for a minute or two longer before closing her eyes to rest, as a hangar bay opened to swallow the shuttle.

"Docking in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1 and welcome home everybody," said the pilot, Mira Miles. "You can all get out of your harnesses now."

"Thank you," Lucas said curtly as he stood up, the first one to do so, and went to the door, waiting for it to open.

"You're welcome, sir. Now remember, if there's anything else you need, I'm just a... Mira mile away."

Several members of the squad groaned out loud, to which Mira responded with light laughter as she opened the door and then returned to her seat, shutting down systems.

As the squad filed out, still dressed in full Slayer Gear, which they would later have to return to the armory, Elaine noticed Lucas waiting in the corridor outside, for her, she guessed.

"You don't have to do this you know," the colonel said with the barest hint of concern in his voice. "This is your chance for some R&R. There's no need to take on another mission so soon."

"I've made my decision, sir," Elaine quietly replied as she brushed past and then turned around. "I'll return my gear to the armory, join you as you take your pick of the reserves and then await further orders."

"What if I order you to take some rest?"

"Then you can put me down for insubordination, sir. Like I said, I've already made my decision."

And with that, Elaine left to return her gear. Lucas shook his head slowly as he followed and the two didn't say anything else to each other until they were on their way to the mustering hall, to take their pick of the Raiders in reserve, most of whom would be raw recruits.

"There will be a lot of fresh rookies," Lucas said to Elaine as they waited for the elevator to go up. "You will have to help me take care of them."

"Yes, sir."

Silence reigned for the rest of the way until the doors opened, revealing a room full of young Raiders and nervous energy. For nearly all of them, it would be the most important day of their lives. Perhaps their last as well if the 'special mission' called for a rapid deployment, which it certainly merited. The establishment of a new colony... the dragons weren't going to ignore that.

2. Characters in this post:
    Standing at attention for what seemed like a life time, S'Rye's unique gaze stared like a hound towards the door where her destiny was waiting for her. Her body straight and proud as a statue carved by Instructors hands from the academy. Short brown hair, longer in the front, framed her heart-shaped face. For the moment, her iris's were the color of the blazing sun, set on the background of her smooth black sclera, these machine eyes did not stray from their target. At least not until she heard a familiar chuckle.

"The Dragons will still be there, S'Rye, relax." Oliver patted her on the shoulder. He was two heads taller than her, but lean and lanky. If he had muscle, it wasn't readily seen by the naked eye. Hair just as brown as hers, but shorter, S'Rye would have had eyes just as hazel as her older brother too, if she had kept her natural born sight. Oliver's feather brown hair that sat flaring out a little at the nape of his neck, wasn't the only hair on his head. He kept a small goatee and a light five-o-clock shadow.

"If you ask me, you relax too much, Olly." S'Rye gave her brother a slightly grumbled expression one that you would consider a parent might use to scold a child. Her sigh washed away that expression for one that denoted a soft impatience. "It's my first mission. I have the right to be tense...the shuttle came in not too long ago...they should be here by now."

"Ah, I see." Oliver ruffled up his sisters hair, which she immediately protested. "You are keeping those eyes out for Miss. Elaine Chiria." He gave an amused smile and let his sister brush his hand away. Oliver leaned against the wall watching S'Rye dripping with her envy of Elaine as well as her fandom.

"I can admire someone for their work." S'Rye didn't like him teasing her about that. "Besides, I won't have to just admire anymore." S'Rye let a hopeful smile for her future on her face. The destiny of grandeur flashing in those machine eyes. Now it was Olivers' turn to sigh. A sigh for his young and impatient sister.

3. Characters in this post:
    As Lucas and Elaine exited the elevator, Captain Edgar Armstrong, standing on the podium in front of the gathered Raiders, shouted, "Atteeeen-hut!" It was only after the collective slam of booted heels upon the floor that Edgar coughed and said in a milder tone, "Uhh, attention. I mean attention."

He turned to salute the Colonel and then stepped aside, allowing Lucas to take the stage. As he approached, Edgar whispered, "Sorry to say, sir, but Annie couldn't make it. Said she was going to hang back and take care of her mob first. You know how she is."

Lucas was not in the least bit surprised and, overhearing Edgar's words, neither was Elaine.

"I ought to have her court-martialed for that," Lucas muttered, though he knew and understood the views of Major Annabelle Chiria on the current military strategy. It was all a waste of time and resources that could have been better spent hunting dragons. What was even the point of expansion when not even the established colonies were safe from attack? Still, it wouldn't do to say such a thing to all the reservists and fresh rookies gathered in the room.

"At ease, Raiders," Lucas said, drawing himself up to his full height with his hands clasped behind his back. "I'll keep it short. The rumours are true, there is another colony in the making and it's going to be our job to keep it safe while it's under construction. I know that security and defense isn't exactly our domain, but if any dragons show up, we'll do what we were trained to do and kill them with very extreme prejudice. For the duration of this mission, you have all been grouped together to form a temporary fourth company. I'll be in charge. Now, report to your squad leaders and prepare for immediate departure. You have two hours."

Elaine, standing behind Lucas like a distant shadow, made to leave, but was stopped by the Colonel himself. "Where are you going, Corporal? Don't you remember that Sergeant Nesker is dead?"

After leaving the planet, Elaine didn't think much of the Sergeant's death, perhaps didn't want to. In fact, at the time of it happening, it only registered as a 'Oh no, oh well, shit happens and life goes on' moment, but now, the full meaning of Nesker's death came crashing down on Elaine.

"But," she uttered. "You said you would be-"

"Yeah, I'm in charge of the overall operation. Won't be able to muck in with the rest of you this time, so you'll be leading your own squad now, Corporal. Oh sorry, I mean Sergeant, effective immediately. Now go see Edgar about your list... what? Not getting cold feet, are you? You did have a chance to back out, you know."

Elaine could only gape like a fish as Lucas departed. She had NOT been expecting this. Even now, she could see a few rookies approaching her, led by someone she recognized, J'aquen Ryder. Elaine wondered if he was just as surprised.

4. Characters in this post:
    Routine, routine. It's what J'aquen had been thinking the entire time he stood at attention. Once they were free, he went straight to see Elaine. Hearing the words between her and the Colonel made him inwardly smirk and laugh. J'aquen was the picture of a well roughed up Raider. Barrel chested, 6 foot 4 inches, 200 pounds of muscle. J'aquens short brown hair was buzzed. He was a looker with longer hair, but the buzz cut was the tough-ass rugged look that gave J'aquen the appearance of a serious Raider.

In his profession, and it is his profession, J'aquen was a man who didn't just get the job done. He was also that guy who came up to you to give you a light squeeze on the shoulder if and when you lost a friend. He was the kind of guy who knew Death made frequent stops in this job, but didn't let make him desensitized. J'aquen made sure his men were well taken care of, when he was in charge, and even when he wasn't he kept an eye out for you. Even if he didn't like you. But, he was a good guy with a sense of humor. Though sometimes a bit dry in his humor.

"Keep your mouth gaping too long and you'll catch dragons in it." J'aquen smiled, heartily patting Eliane on the shoulder. Seeing Elaines face was a bit priceless." Don't sweat it too much, Elaine, you already need a shower." To avoid her immediate wrath, he motioned to his tag-alongs. "This here is Nikita Marshall." He pointed to a woman with ebony skin, her face scarred. She stood attentive and gave Elaine a respectful nod. J'aquen then inclined his head to the young Rookie beside her. Fair skinned with crimson eyes, he was tall but not as tall as J'aquen. His build was toned and his dark brown hair fell messy around his face. "That one is Caleb Ronaan."

"Sup" Caleb made a slight jerk upward with his chin to her. J'aquen knew Elaine could just smell Rookie off of Caleb. At least Nikita had been on a few missions before. Maybe introducing these two right off the bat wasn't the best decision, but J'aquen was a 'now or never' type. J'aquen chuckled and leaned to Elaine a bit.

"This too shall pass." he chuckled as he regurgitated psyco-babble from pretty much any therapist a person crosses paths with. The kind that they send stressed out Raiders to when they can't handle the drama of losing people to dragons. "It's funny, in a way." A familiar voice that sounded like a sandpaper spoke from the side of them.

"You know, there are men so philosophical, that they can see humor in their own toothaches..." Oliver said to J'aquen. Eliane had seen the lanky man by J'aquen before. This was the childhood friend he talked about. The one known to most as the Stoner. "...But there has never been a man so philosophical as to see the toothache in his own humor." Oliver was trailed after by a girl with cyborg implants. Both eyes the color of bright gold with flecks of black. Anxious and thrilled. Oliver was taken into a nugy. J'aquen made a gruff laugh and put Oliver in a headlock, making a fist he rubbed it hard against his friends head. Just beyond that, S'Rye was peeking over at Eliane. She shuffled past the two rumblers to extend a hand to Nikita, and then to Elaine.

"I'm S'Rye Hollen." She smiled. A little too excited to meet Elaine, it seemed. Caleb was watching S'Rye with a smile on his face. He must have known her, or he was an intrusive person for getting in S'Rye's personal space. Nikita cocked a brow at S'Rye's attitude. The girl certainly wasn't as enthusiastic to meet Niki.

5. Characters in this post:
    Elaine glowered as J'aquen clapped her on the shoulder, but remained silent when the others were introduced. In a glance, Elaine evaluated them all and immediately decided that they were a thoroughly unimpressive lot, especially after the appearance of Oliver the Stoner. The only exception was Nikita, who had that certain look of a proven Raider, one who has fought dragons.

It was said that surviving a single mission was enough to make a veteran and, green or not, Nikita definitely had that look. Elaine took some comfort in it, but the thought of leading her own squad for the first time was still so terrifyingly sudden.

"H-hello," Elaine said far too meekly and silently cursed herself for it. She drew in a deep breath and continued with more assertiveness, "My name is Elaine Chiria and you will address me as Sergeant or Sarge, I don't mind which. I'm assuming you're all supposed to be reporting to Sergeant Nesker, so let me be the first to tell you that he's dead. I'm his replacement, so I'll be leading the squad now. If there's anyone else who should be with me, let them know about it and bring them here now, then wait for role call. Corporal, a word please."

Taking J'aquen aside, Elaine paused for a moment to find the right words to describe her feelings and simply said, "I have to admit, I'm a bit scared."

6. Characters in this post:
    There were so many things S'Rye wanted to say to Elaine. Though, she didn't have the time to or the words to express her admiration for Elaines family. Maybe it was a good thing then, that J'aquen was taken aside. Oliver was glad for the ending of J'aquens rough-housing. He immediately- didn't do a thing to fix his hair. Oliver just laughed a little and let J'aquen go to speak with their new Sergeant, Elaine Chiria. Nikita was feeling a tad uncomfortable in this crowd. She was really only there because of J'aquen. Caleb made use of this time by flirting with S'Rye who had been staring after Elaine for a moment. Oliver kept an ear out for any word that might prompt him to intervene between Caleb and S'Rye. Meanwhile, J'aquen went to the side with Elaine.

"The death toll doesn't change between ranks, Elaine." J'aquens funny behavior seemed to disappear as this conversation took a turn to a serious mood. He could tell when a person needed someone to talk to. "So I am guessing it's not that you're worried about...this is the first time you're leading. I'll admit that it's a huge responsibility, but I don't think you are the worst they could pick." J'aquen scratched the scruff of his chin in thought. "Honestly, I think having a bit of fear is good. I think you would have to be an idiot not to be a little scared." He told her.

7. Characters in this post:
    "I know, I know, it's only natural I guess," Elaine replied. "But still, it's a bit daunting. I'm not exactly the leader type, you know. It's never been my strong suit... but you. People follow you. Heck, it's probably best if we traded places, but I don't suppose we can just do that."

Elaine looked towards the other Raiders and wondered just how many were new or experienced, and how many of either kind would be a part of her squad. And their lives would be in her hands, which was the real mind killer. To Elaine, the thought of that alone was damn near petrifying.

She considered what would be expected of her and what being a sergeant meant anyway, but it was no use. Being solitary by nature had left her profoundly unprepared for such a responsibility, she had no idea what she was going to do, or had to do. But perhaps seeing Captain Armstrong about the squad list would be a good first step, and so Elaine resolved to do just that.

Before going to the Captain, Elaine looked up at J'aquen, eye to eye, and said in the most earnest manner she had ever expressed, "Look, whatever happens, just back me up, okay?"

8. Characters in this post:
    "Don't worry about it Sarge." J'aquen gave her a confident grin and a bear hug which made popping sounds from cracking her back. "I'll always be here for you, you know that." He said, pulling away from her to speak again. Then with a playful nudge he joked a little with her. "Although, if we DID trade places, I'd have the authority to make you do the chicken dance, I'm sure you wouldn't like that." He laughed.

J'aquen, unlike Nikita and a lot of the other Raiders, still had that bit of sunshine tucked into his being. The kind of sunshine that S'Rye seemed to beam across the room. She was beaming right now in fact, but for a certain reason. Caleb had chatted her up. She had known him from before, just a little, but it was obvious the two got along. Oliver was an incredibly laid back kind of guy, but he kept an eye out for any unwanted behavior.

"You got to go to the Captain, don't you? You want company?" J'quen asked Elaine. Even just a friendly presence could be nice.

9. Characters in this post:
    "OH, what are you doing?" Elaine cried out in surprise as J'aquen squeezed her in a back cracking hug and then stepped away. He said something afterwards, but Elaine didn't hear or listen. She simply stood there with a stunned expression on her face, utterly speechless.

At first, she was mortified to be manhandled in such a way, in front of absolutely everybody in the room. This was not how a Sergeant was meant to be treated! Elaine turned to tell J'aquen just that, but not before feeling a light nudge and hearing him crack a joke, then laughing. The joke was terrible, but the laugh was infectious and Elaine couldn't help but smile, and then laugh as well for the first time in what felt like an age.

After two years of fighting monsters and losing friends on that hell rock, Cadeca, Elaine didn't think she could be surprised anymore, but she was and pleasantly so. All the horrors of the last deployment, still fresh in her mind, were washed away by simply giggling like a child. It felt good.

Elaine was surprised again when J'aquen offered to join her in seeing the Captain, but she didn't hesitate in replying, "Yeah, I'd like that... but don't do that again. Don't want to give anybody the wrong impression."

"Too late," Edgar said as he approached with a folder in his hand. "You kids make a cute couple. Your mother will be thrilled to hear, Sergeant. But seriously, try to be a little quicker on the draw next time. We only have two hours to prep and everyone's waiting, c'mon."

Embarrassment hit like an asteroid and Elaine could only stammer as she took the folder, "Y-yes, Captain. Right away, sir."

She remained silent for a while with her eyes downcast as Edgar strolled away, whistling. He paused to talk to another officer, perhaps the one who'd be in charge of this temporary company, and eventually left the same way the Colonel did.

"Time for roll call, I suppose," Elaine finally said and took a spot between two other squad leaders who were already calling out names.

10. Characters in this post:
    There were so many great jokes a person could use with the perfect timing of Elaines words and the appearance of Edgar. So many. Unfortunately J'aquen could tell the time had passed for such a thing. It may make Elaine uncomfortable too, which wasn't such a bad thing, but for her sake he just stifled his smile. That is, until Edgar walked off and Elaine finished speaking about roll call. J'aquen couldn't help just putting one more tease in before they had to got to the Captain.

"Yes dear." He chuckled to her as she walked off, knowing just how much that would make her feathers ruffle, inwardly or outwardly. Oh, the glory of that! The look on her face, it was all worth it. J'aquen rejoined the others he had with him. Nikita, S'Rye, Oliver, and Caleb stood for roll call and S'Rye was just crossing her fingers to be apart of Elaines particular squad.

11. Characters in this post:
    Elaine shot a final glare at J'aquen before opening the folder and reading the list of names out loud, among which included Caleb, Daina, J'aquen, Nikita, Oliver (the Stoner) and S'Rye, as well as thirteen other Raiders who may or may not be complete rookies. There was a dossier for each member, but Elaine knew that she would have to read them later as the other squad leaders began signalling readiness.

"Squad one, ready!"

"Squad two, all present and accounted for!"

"Squad three, also ready!"

And so on until it was Elaine's turn. Without any hesitation, she called out in perfect clarity, "Squad six, ready!"

After the tenth squad leader, it was time to clear the stage for the officer Edgar had been speaking to before leaving. He was a tall and bald man, with strange black eyes like S'Rye. The difference was that S'Rye had brightly coloured rings in her eyes, whereas the man's were entirely black and opaque, giving him an unsettling sinister look. The effect was further accentuated by his night-black uniform, yet in spite of his striking features, Elaine could not recall ever seeing him before. Was he from outside the Raiders regiment?

"For those who don't know me, I am Captain Thaddeus Rawne, from 2nd Company," he began in a strangely light, almost feminine voice.

So, he's one of dear old mother's subordinates, Elaine thought bitterly with a slight scowl.

"For the duration of this mission, I will be in command of this Company," Thaddeus continued. "Your objectives are simple. Each squad will go to their assigned locations and hold their positions. Maps and other details will be sent to your PDA's shortly if they haven't already. If the enemy attacks, you will assist the soldiers present to defend and repel, but do not pursue. You will hold your positions. That is all. Now prepare for deployment, dismissed."

"You heard him, let's move," Elaine said as she motioned her squad to follow and led the way out of the room. It was time to gear up.

12. Characters in this post:
    "He's like, the black eyed kids you know?" Oliver said as they walked together to gear up. He gave a glance at Thaddeus and made a nod to his thoughts. "Yep. Those black pools of darkness. But it's like, he's an old black-eyed kid." His walk was loose and fluid. Like Oliver walked on air.

"What the hell are 'black eyed kids'?" Caleb asked with an almost annoyed curiosity. He was new to Oliver. He didn't know how the Stoner seemed to meld between the paranormal and the philosophical; barley touching on reality.

"Usually the ages between 6-16, they are creatures, really." Oliver began. As he talked he rested his elbow on his sister's shoulder. She rolled her eyes and seemed to brush off all of her brothers words as soon as he began talking. "Imagine you are in a car, or a house, and two kids get your attention. You see them, but you don't 'see them' as they insist on using your phone, or ask for a ride. Then, you get the idea that something is wrong." Oliver pulled his elbow away and took a look at his sister for emphasis; raising his hands in the air and making a swishing motion as if he was wiping a window. Wax on, wax off.

"Before you know it, you realize you're in some kind of danger, but you brush it off until you look and SEE them." He stopped swishing his hands and he pointed at S'Rye's eyes.

"Both kids have black eyes, like the Captain Rawne. These 'kids' look like kids, but they don't feel like they are young. A panic sets in your mind and heart." Oliver was creeping Nikita out with the way he spoke. Not that she was scared. It was just how odd Oliver was that put her off.

"So, you suddenly tell them 'NO' and 'Go away!' but they insist and nag and badger you. It is SO important to them that YOU let them in!" Oliver straightened up and wiggled his fingers like they were going to attack Caleb. He did not move to the guy, of course. It was for effect. "The overwhelming sense of dread forces you to consider to let them in, but you know deep down something bad would happen. You slam the door, you drive off, you lock yourself in, and for hours, without checking, you know they are still there."

"I'm sorry I asked." Caleb rolled his eyes. That whole spiel was not productive in the least. In fact, Caleb made sure not to ask Oliver anything anymore.

"That's an Urband Legend, Oliver. It's not real and Captian Thaddues isn't one of them." S'Rye cocked a brow and nudged her brother.

"I didn't say they were real, I said he looked like them." Oliver gave a grin and shrug. "Believe what you believe."

"You contradict yourself sometimes, Olly." J'aquen's chuckle was deeper than his friends.

"Look alive, it's time to get ready." Nikita didn't like the seemingly nonsensical chitter chatter. She was all business and Raiding was her business. Gear was her business right now.

13. Characters in this post:
    At least someone in this squad has her head on straight, Elaine thought as she nodded a silent approval of Nikita's attitude. Upon reaching the armory, the squad of Raiders in front split off towards the left, where queues of Raiders lined up by a row of chambers, otherwise known as the 'lockers'.

These were connected storage units for the matte black nerve suits, typically retrieved by no more than a single squad of Raiders at a time. It was unprecedented for an entire company to mobilize at once, yet it appeared to have been well prepared for.

Lines of tape and numbers had been set out to indicate which squad would go where, and Elaine had no issues finding the right chamber for her people. The problem was each person having to retrieve their suit one at a time and Elaine worried that it would be slow going, but everyone knew what they were doing and movement would prove to be brisk.

Being the squad leader, Elaine got to retrieve her suit first. After a face scan from the panel on the chamber's door, there was a momentary whir of conveyor machinery and then the door slid open noiselessly, revealing Elaine's personal nerve suit; the one she had just returned not too long ago. She wasted no time stepping inside the chamber to wear it again.

At first, it seemed like a simple jumpsuit, loose enough for the hands and feet to wriggle in. Once it was on however, the suit took on a mind of its own and began to tighten until it fit to form. Elaine stiffened as the suit connected itself to her mind through the jack-in ports by the sides of her spine, and then just like that, all the strength and power of the suit was hers to command. From flesh and blood to dragonslayer, the first stage of transformation was complete.

Elaine flexed her fingers to test the suit's responsiveness and, after finding it satisfactory, she stood aside to let J'aquen go next. In confidential tones, Elaine whispered, "Your friend, Oliver, isn't going to be a problem is he?"

14. Characters in this post:
    "Only if you ask him questions." J'aquen chuckled, getting his face scanned. Oliver had a tendency to talk and talk...and talk. "He's actually more cautious than you think. My bet is on Caleb Ronaan. That boy is way too cocky." He told her seriously. J'aquen slipped on his suit. It was never a dull moment when turning to face the people who were still unsuited. J'aquen didn't say anything, but no one would deny that he had bragging rights.

"Whoo-hoo!" Caleb hallered with a grin once he wore his suit. It was the best feeling to him. That rush of strength and the way he could just feel the power in his fingers. Elaine had flexed her fingers, but Caleb flexed his entire self. S'Rye didn't make a big fuss about the conformity of the suit J'aquen wore, but her eyes wandered- just a little- to Caleb. She had to turn away though, because her iris began to change to a color of pink. She didn't want to explain what that color meant.

"So yeah. We should keep an eye on Caleb." J'aquen laughed, watching the ruffian of a young man enjoying his suit just a little too much.

S'Rye stepped up after Oliver and Nikita took their suits. Oliver was as nonchalant as you might expect. Maybe a little hazy. Nikita took on a visible sense of pride. Yet this pride was dutiful. She wasn't smiley and jittery like Caleb or had the anticipation like S'Rye. She was more, content with that hint of reality mixed in. These suits were great, but they needed them for a reason. That reason was danger and the possibility of fighting for your life; for others.

"Ah, wow..." S'Rye smiled to feel the suit form to her. She wasn't womanly shaped like Nikita. Quite lanky actually. Though one could see she was a young adult female, no one really turned their heads besides Caleb. Oliver was just as lean and toned, but reminded one of a plank.

Nikita was all set for the next step while the others seemed to chatter a bit once again. The scar-faced dark beauty was indeed endowed generously, but she wasn't interested in showing off. At least not that way.

15. Characters in this post:
    "All right, I'll keep that in mind," Elaine replied as she waited for the others to suit up.

At the same time, she glanced towards Nikita and took notice of the scarred woman's surprisingly shapely figure when one of the squad, a brown haired man who Elaine recognized as Jenkins, approached with a smile and a salute.

"Hey, just came to say it's nice to see a familiar face here," he said. "Back at the assembly hall, it felt like I was the only one from First Company around. So you're a sergeant now?"

"Yeah, it surprised me too," Elaine responded, feeling both glad and a little awkward at the same time. What were the other members of the squad going to make of this conversation?

"Well for what it's worth, I think you'll do a good job, but poor old Nesker, right? I thought he'd be around forever. Just how did he die?"

"Beamed in mid-flight."

"Damn, it's always dicey in the air, huh? Well, I'll go suit up now, looks like it's my turn."

Elaine immediately regretted answering Jenkins' question. It was not meant for the ears of rookies and wasn't exactly a morale booster in general. Ordinarily, she would have shrugged it off and thought 'oh well', but she was a sergeant now and part of that meant being careful with her words.

Or maybe I'm just over-thinking it, Elaine considered... hoped, rather. She wondered if J'aquen had anything to say about it.

16. Characters in this post:
    The talk about how Nesker died gave most of the squad a brief inward pause. S'Rye looked over at Elaine for a moment, but then looked away. No one said it, but they almost felt like, it shouldn't be dwelt on. Almost as if they didn't want to draw attention to it. It's not like they haven't heard about death before. Or that people die from this job. It's expected. They knew what they were getting themselves into. They understood the risks. It's all apart of being a Raider. So why even a bit of pause?

The pause for most was that they didn't really want to look at why they were accepting these things so easily. It's like, a part of you shuts down and gives into the idea of death. Most don't want to admit that. Maybe for others, it's just easier to take because they don't understand the gravity of what death means or how easy it can be to die. Just one slip. One wrong turn. A second too early or too late. Those few moments that decide whether live...or you die.

For some, especially the Raiders who had gone in the field, it's more of a reality. Nikita absentmindedly raised her slender fingers to the marks on her face. Just as quickly she pulled her hand away and gave J'aquen a glance. Her mouth parted to draw in some air, then slowly breathing out. Flash backs aren't the greatest things to think about as you suit up.

Caleb had been a little oblivious to Elaine, since he was being a bit of a show off to S'Rye. In turn, she wasn't completely on her usual attention to Elaine. Oliver didn't show much reaction. Maybe he heard, maybe he didn't. It wasn't exactly clear. He did seem to be in some kind of thought process, but that wasn't too unusual.

J'aquen, however, had been keeping an eye on Elaine like an older bro would. He caught the way she seemed to want to take back her words. That inward sigh as Jenkins walked off. Pfft, Jenkins.

"There are worse things you could have said." J'aquen told her. He looked at Jenkins as he got his suit on. "The boys right though." He said. J'aquen added on to his words when she gave him a questioning look. "I think you'll do a good job too, Sarge." He grinned and restrained from ruffling her hair. "Besides, you got that green on yah, right?" J'aquen liked to tease and say it's the lucky green of the Irish. A few Leprechaun jokes. However, she wasn't the happiest when he mentioned those things, so, J'aquen kept the humor out of it this time.

17. Characters in this post:
    "Yeah," Elaine replied softly and left it at that. For the briefest of moments, she allowed a look of deep sadness to flicker in her eyes as she recalled hearing J'aquen's words before, only from someone else now 5 years gone; her best friend, Seamus.

"Besides, you got that green on yah, right?" A word for word echo from the past. It made Elaine feel melancholy and she would have reached for her own hair too, dyed red in memoriam, but she reined in her instinct and recomposed herself as she looked to address her squad. Jenkins had been the last to put on his nerve suit.

"All right everyone, before we get geared up, I'd like to let you know that the engineers are getting real tired of seeing graffiti on our equipment," Elaine said, affecting sternness. "So if anyone does any scribbling... just try not to get caught. That is all, now let's move."

With a wave of her hand, Elaine lead the way out of the lockers and into another area of the armoury where a host of technicians stood ready, all clad in blue jumpsuits and carrying an assortment of power tools. Nearby, there were large cube racks of Slayer Gear equipment, one for each Raider.

With enough time, it was possible for individuals to equip the gear by themselves. As always however, speed was of the essence and it was with a grudging tolerance that Elaine approached one pair of engineers, allowing them to manipulate her limbs like a doll as they worked to attach each component of the gear to her suit, beginning with the harness. One of them reeked of smoke. The herb kind.

18. Characters in this post:
    Elaine had turned away to speak with the others before J'aquen could comment on her expression of sadness. He was actually glad for it, in retrospect. He wasn't sure what he might say right now. Elaine wasn't one to go on in front of people to chit chat about her feelings. J'aquen had his attention on her announcement instead.

His eyes glanced over at Caleb who seemed to snicker. The boy was obviously not one to listen to Eliane about the whole 'No graffiti' rule. It was fun! An besides, they have a dangerous job. For him, it was the right of a Raider to mark up the suits. Leave behind a remnant of themselves for the next fools to fight against their hated space demons. Those damed creatures drawn out from a children's horror story. Oliver didn't car either way, as long as his little patch of green leafed paradise wasn't taken away, he was just happy to know S'Rye was still alive and well. Nikita was dead set on keeping her suit tidy and clean. It was a question of respect. Do you respect the suit? Then you respect her, you respect the cause. For Niki, you don't doodle on your work.

Letting the engineers do their job, the band of Raiders were suited up. Caleb and S'Rye were practically chomping at the bit for their first mission. J'aquen patted Caleb on the back, which made the boy scrunch his nose in disgruntlement.

"So eager." J'aquen noted. "Keep your head, Caleb. Don't lose it to a plasma beam." He said, half joking. Caleb wanted to shrug him off, but no one thought J'aquens words were funny or stupid. Nikita would know just how true those words were. If it wasn't for J'aquen, she'd not be there to agree.

19. Characters in this post:
    The engineers worked with such speed and surety that Elaine was fully equipped within five minutes. The only things missing were the helmet, shield and gun, but they would come later. For now, it was time to see that everything was in good working order.

"Gear check," Elaine said as she activated the nerve suit's integrated mic at a thought. "Can everyone hear me?"

"Loud and clear, sarge," Jenkins replied with a thumbs up as the engineers finished assembling his own gear.

"Use your mic, raider."

Jenkins repeated his words and this time Elaine could hear them as though they were being spoken directly into her ears.

"Everyone else?" Elaine said, but before anyone could reply, Captain Thaddeus Rawne appeared in the armoury, already dressed in full Slayer Gear.

"Officer present!" someone from another squad called out.

"At ease," the captain replied before many stood at attention. "We still have over an hour left before departure, so I would like to use this time to speak to all squad leaders, right now. Following me, please."

"Uh... everyone, keep testing your gear. Corporal Ryder will supervise," Elaine said as she hurried to follow the captain, then whispering directly to J'aquen through the comms link, "I'll keep my mic on so you can hear. Something is up."

20. Characters in this post:
    It was a good thing Captain Rawne interrupted before Caleb could shout 'Roger that, Sarge!' into her ear for fun. Though it may not have ended on a fun note if he did do that.

"Alright." J'aquen nodded to Elaine. As she left to the other room, the Raiders chatted a little with their coms. Caleb had already snuck in a mark or two on his suit. He had to be extra careful because Nikita was keeping her eyes peeled for that misbehavior.

"I bet in battle these things get really confusing." Caleb said.

"They don't. Not really." S'Rye said. "Remember your training? It's not that bad."

"It's a pain. At least I think so." Caleb said. He went to set his elbow onto J'aquen's shoulder, but the Corporal shrugged him off. "Touchy." Caleb grumbled.

"Nah, it's his focused state." Oliver cut in. "You see how he's squinting? Yeah, he's thinking real hard."

"About what?" S'Rye asked in curiosity. "Are you certain?"

"Benjamin Franklin once said 'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes...' I would add 'and that J'aquen squints when he's thinking." Oliver chuckled. Caleb cocked a brow, still getting used to Oliver. Nikita was giving Caleb an annoyed expression too, which prompted the boy to wonder why. Whatever the reason, he took another look at J'aquen.

"Well, dam, he looks like a squinty eyed little- AH!" Caleb was smacked up the head by another Raider. It was Nikita. "Shit man, what's your problem?!" He said, getting riled up.

"You marked your suit." she narrowed her eyes. Caleb flushed a little. How did she know? He stepped a few paces away, as if she was some kind of voo doo woman that might place a spell on him.

21. Characters in this post:
    Thaddeus lead the way to the end of the armory, where the elevators to the shuttles were. His manner was hurried and Elaine almost had to jog to keep up with his long strides.

There was something in the tone of Rawne's voice earlier that warned Elaine of an impending complication. This became a downright certainty when the captain turned to address the squad leaders and said, "There's been a new development and for reasons of morale, no one here can say a word of it to anyone. Is that understood?"

Elaine answered in affirmation with all the other nine squad leaders.

The captain continued, "Just a few minutes ago, a dragon was spotted flying into outer space. Somehow, it managed to get past the frigates and right over the new colony. It's gone now, but we can only assume that it saw the colony and an attack may happen sooner than we thought.

"This is a problem since ground defences haven't been fully setup yet, but your objectives remain unchanged. Only be aware that emergency extraction points have now been added to your maps. Best case scenario, they won't be needed, but should the threat become unmanageable, a general order of retreat will be issued and you must go to your extraction points immediately or risk getting left behind. Now return to your squads and remember to keep this strictly to yourselves, dismissed."

As the captain made to leave the armory, Elaine whispered to J'aquen over the mic, "Did you get all of that?"

22. Characters in this post:
    "Roger that, Sarge." J'aquen spoke directly to her. "Looks like we have some scaly ass to kick." He grinned, but although she couldn't see, he was pretty sure she knew that quirk of a smile would be on his lips. There was one thing J'aquen was always pumped about, and it is to kill them mother-lovin dragons. By his hand or not, J'aquen was right there for that action.

"Just remember not to hide behind my pink skirts" He joked. "Can't babysit you all the time." J'aquen could just imagine the look on Elaine's face. How fun it was to tease her. Or anyone. But her mostly. He respected her as a Raider, so it was all the more fun.

J'aquen faced the squad, looking over at Nikita. How she was so serious. He could say one thing about his best friend Oliver. It was that he was lose, relaxed. Naturally speaking. Even without his little vice of the MJ he liked so much, Oliver had that easy attitude. Like he once said, 'In life, shit happens. You laugh, or you cry. I don't know about you, but I'm done with crying. The world isn't going to steal my laughter too.' Though, he was sky high when he said that. J'aquen wondered if that was why Oliver smoked. To ease things. He had thought about telling Oliver to cool his jets on the stuff, but life seemed so short these days.

Sometimes, it's those little things that can bring you out alive in the morning.

"Hey, Caleb." J'aquen spoke after a moment, watching the way Caleb was flaunting himself. "If you do meet dragons, they aren't going to swoon to death." The boy scoffed, waving his hand at the Raider. Like he was hot stuff. J'aquen laughed. He was probably one to keep an eye on. Even Oliver saw that. S'Rye was probably keeping too close of an eye on him.

"After we get this done, how about we go out sometime?" Caleb asked. S'Rye glanced at her brother, who just shrugged. He was safe in the knowledge that, one: Caleb was just a pup, and two: He had J'aquen to call on.

"Yeah, sure." She smiled.

"Alright." Caleb beamed that boyish grin.

Oliver was approached by J'aquen and the man arched a brow. "It won't last anyway." Oliver said.

23. Characters in this post:
    J'aquen had responded with his usual bravado, something Elaine often found tiresome, but in this case it was oddly comforting. She wasn't even bothered by his groan-worthy 'pink skirts' lark. It was enough to know that even in light of the news, J'aquen remained as steadfast and unfunny as ever... or perhaps it simply didn't occur to him that the chances of dying had just risen. In any case, Elaine wasn't going to press the matter. There was no use worrying about it, even if it couldn't be helped.

Upon returning to the squad, Elaine caught enough of the exchange between S'Rye and Caleb to cast them a judgmental look, but didn't say a word as she walked past. A drill sergeant surely would have called them out on it, but Elaine was no disciplinarian. She knew that reality was a sufficiently harsh instructor. Let them have their fun while they still can, she thought.

"You all tested your gear, any problems?" she said to the entire squad through her mic. "If not, then follow me."

"Hey, who's this?" an unknown voice asked.

Oops, Elaine thought as she mentally adjusted the communications channel.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention," she continued. "Our squad channel is delta-six, that's delta and six. If anyone forgets, just ask me. Now... moving on."

24. Characters in this post:
    "What was that again?" J'aquen asked with a big grin on his face. Obviously he got the message.

"Is it just me, or is there something wrong with my com?" Oliver said, blowing into it.

"Ack!" S'Rye punched his shoulder. "Stop! Your com works, it works!" She grimaced. The very face Oliver wanted to see. Of course his com worked.

"Enough fooling." Nikita spoke up. "We are Raiders." She stated. Even Caleb seemed to shuffle his feet a bit at the way they seemed to be goofing off. He had enough experience with Nikita to know he should be alert and professional right now.

"Right. Delta-Six." Caleb turned the attention back to Elaines words. He was like a male bird, showing off his plumes to S'Rye. You see Miss Hollen? He's being all professional. Take note.

"You Honey-bunches-of-soggy-cereal ready for this?" J'aquen teased them.

"I am, Corporal." Nikita nodded with a resolve and a spark in her black eyes.

25. Characters in this post:
    After everyone else signaled readiness, Elaine lead the way to the last portion of the armoury where the helmets, energy shields and Buster guns were kept in cages, left open and supervised by the officer of the day; not a Raider, but a crew member of the Star Fort. In other words, part of the scenery. He simply had to stand by as Elaine's squad filed into the cages, making another squad wait outside until it was their turn.

"You shouldn't get them so excited," Elaine said to J'aquen whilst taking a helmet off a shelf. "Pump them up too early and they'll only get edgy, waiting for something to happen. Besides, this 'special mission' is all grunt work. We're supposed to be hunters, not bloody guardsmen. It'd be demeaning if it weren't for the historic value of this new colony."

26. Characters in this post:
    "Despite a little edge being needed with this flimsy group, I think having that alertness is healthy." J'aquen grinned as he grabbed his own helmet. "You know there was this old guy named Steve I once knew. He was a good man. The guy told me he had a job as a window washer."

J'aquen liked to tell little stories to illustrate his point. Real life stories were the best kind. It placed truth in his words.

"It freaked him the hell out. Every time he rose higher and higher in the air, he got that much more paranoid. That much more worried." J'aquen grabbed up the Bustergun, looking it over with a scrutinizing eye. "He knew that the day he felt comfortable on that lift, was the day he had to quit. He told me that when you get to that point, you're setting yourself up to fail. To make a mistake you did't think you would, because it all got routine."

The rest of the gear was set in place as J'aquen gave her a smile.

"I might look relaxed, but inside, I'm a lot more paranoid than you think. The way Nikita is on the outside, is how I feel in here." he tapped his chest. "Got to keep on your toes. Historical significance or not, a person can die anywhere. I don't intend to die, Elaine."

"Whoo!" Caleb was heard, getting his things. The boy was like a beam of pride. A cocky little bugger. J'aquen chuckled at the boy and leaned to Eliane.

"You see? If he doesn't get it in his head that this isn't training. Caleb might just trip up." He told her.

27. Characters in this post:
    Elaine felt like letting J'aquen know he was preaching to the choir as he told his story. Gods above and below knew there was no way of ever getting used to fighting dragons. The rush of adrenaline, the sheer terror and frenzy of combat, the empty numbness afterwards, each encounter brought out these feelings anew in Elaine and it never got easier. The only way she could ever cope was to remember that she was literally born for this, otherwise, her sanity might have broken a long time ago.

"Everyone dies, J'aq," Elaine solemnly replied before donning her helmet. She had always been somewhat of a fatalist. "Didn't you know that?"

... She also had a very dry sense of humour.

When Elaine was armed with shield and gun, and saw that everyone else was as well, she rallied them with a shout, "All right Raiders, it's time to move out. Let's go!"

Then she lead the way to the shuttles, down the elevator at the end of the armoury.

28. Characters in this post:
    "What?" J'aquen made a surprised face. Like she said something he just couldn't believe. "What is this you say? Nonsense." He chuckled. His fake surprised faded quickly as she called the squad to the elevators. People squished together in the lift. As they lowered down, suddenly it just hit them. It was more real now. They were really doing this. It was a mission. A true mission.

"They prepare you really well for almost everything in training." Oliver said in that quiet. "Except the gut feeling that you're taking your last walk."

S'Rye had been the one to hear him. She didn't respond. As peppy as she had been, now it changed. She cleared her throat, as if that would clear her mind of doubts. Caleb had gotten quiet, but he still had a bit of perk in his step. That bit of overconfidence. Nikita was stern. She held her head high and with a determination in those onyx eyes that would stir the heart of a coward to action.

J'aquen felt like he wanted to say something. Anything. Yet in this moment, as they filled into their seats, he just had his eyes on the stars. The others took that breath of a moment to do the same. The sable night dusted with such beauty.

29. Characters in this post:
    Elaine noticed the shift in mood and wondered if she should do anything about it. For a moment, she considered making a speech, but thinking back on all the missions lead by the Colonel and his disciples, including the late Sergeant Nesker, Elaine decided to follow their taciturn example. No grandstanding, it was just another day at work.

"Get in your seats," was all she said to the squad as she entered the shuttle.

"Hey beautiful people, ready to slay some dragons?" said Mira, who was already waiting in the pilot's seat. "All right, buckle in everybody. Shuttle's hot, we're good to go and... baby Chiria, is that you?"

Recognizing Elaine's face in the passenger monitor, Mira twisted around in her seat to get a better look.

"It is you! Wow, I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon. Welcome back, darlin'. So who's leading this bunch of misfits?"

"That, uh, that would be me," Elaine replied, feeling her face grow warm with embarrassment. This was not a very good impression in front of the squad. "I'm a sergeant now."

"Oh, congratulations! When did this happen?"

"Just take us out already."

Mira pulled a pout in response then turned back to the flight instruments. "Aye aye, miss grumpy ma'am. Taking us out."

The shuttle door closed, the hangar bay opened and then the shuttle sailed out into space.

"So, ya'll ready to see a shiny new colony?" Mira asked, fishing for a conversation. Elaine did not oblige.

30. Characters in this post:
    There were just so many wonderful things J'aquen could have said to make Elaines' face redder than a fox tripped out on mushrooms. But, instead of making things harder for her this time, he let it slide. Mira was doing a good job of that anyway. As for the response to Mira, Oliver was the first to respond.

"Yeah man, like-" Oliver took a moment to speak the rest of what he meant to say. Like he was trying to remember some distant thought. "...I hope it smells like mint." He nodded, his eyes closing half way with his lips flat like a duck bill. As if to emphasize his thoughts.

"Mint?" Caleb looked over at him.

"Yeah, cause like, mint is new." Oliver told him. "New like mint, mint is new...new and mint...synonymous man, it's all synonymous. And synonyms mean the same as the word that a person says where they speak, like that."

"What the hell does that even mean?" Caleb screwed his expression up in dumb-founded curiosity.

"Sometimes, you just smile and nod." S'Rye said to him. Caleb raised his brows up then down, before he did just that to Oliver.

"Right buddy. Mint." Caleb chuckled. Nikita momentarily wondered, no...hoped that this was a dream and these people weren't really her squad members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 30 of 60