Login to your account

Protectors of Existence

The grand elders of existence created a peace-keeping team tasked to intervene in various incidents across the endless number of alternate universes to keep the fabric of time and existence intact. They are the Protectors of Existence.......

Tags: action, adventure, alternate dimensions, alternate universes, drama, epic, space, team, time-traveling

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Open

Creator: MK Emaster

Created: 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
Place:       Character:

Game Log in The Cortex of Creation

A place out of time, space, and existence.

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

1. Characters in this post:
    The Grand Elders of existence gathered in the The Cortex of Creation as they saw a couple worlds being erased from existence, all its inhabitants, history and potential future gone forever- it never existed, never will. Every time a world disappears from the radar of all there is, it endangers the existence of the rest. The Grand Elders agreed to put a stop to this, but even with their powerful abilities they were but spectators, they could end this for once, but they are forbidden to interfere- directly that is.

And so one of the Elders suggested the formation of a team of heroes from various worlds to end the catastrophic decay of all there is. The team members are to be selected based on their actions and history, candidates worthy of the task, capable of handling the responsibility. And so it was decided, they shall be called the 'Protectors of Existence'. I know, it sounds 'cheesy', but it was Elder Krakon's doing, he fancies his humor. Don't blame me, I'm just the Lore Elder!

The Elders left the main chamber of The Cortex of Creation and went back to the All Viewing Room outside of the Cortex, the hassle of communicating with the team members and guiding them was handed to the unfortunate sob, Elder Naghum. He wasn't chosen randomly, but rather as a way to make up for his past crimes against the moral code of the Grand Elders, he endangered his celestial sobriety by imbibing unknown substances, known in Earth - J43k as 'Ale'.

The members were contacted by Elder Naghum in his human form in their respective worlds, and then transported to the Cortex to meet the other members and be ready to be briefed of their task and first mission. The Elders and I are spectating all this, hoping they are worthy. And capable.

Elder Naghum stood in the middle of the Main Chamber of the Cortex of Creation, fixing his beard and inspecting his human form.
    "Damn Grand Elders, why couldn't I have assumed the form of a much handsome and lustful woman? How is an old man's form appropriate to approach various humans from various infinite worlds? This is mad, I need my ale."

The Elder motioned both his hands and waived them around as he created a portal that would take him to the worlds' of the chosen members. He would approach them all simultaneously and bring them back to the Cortex.

2. Characters in this post:
    There were two other guys, and a purple haired girl. One of the guys was in a black suit, and had a golden gun, he looked intimidating and far from friendly. Marcus shifted his eye contact to the Grand Elder, he was still occupied pouring unholy liquids into his beard. The golden hall had high ceilings, and high golden pillars that was seemingly lined up to infinity. The hall's golden hues was contrasted by the premium red carpet in the middle, it ran parallel between two sets of pillars to infinity. At the ceiling there was shimmering mist that reflected the view of the cosmos and starts outside the Cortex.

Marcus's attention was rattled by the voice of a redheaded, foxy young male. He was tall and handsome, looked carefree but resilient. The foxy guy extended his arm and expected Marcus to fist bump him. Marcus smiled and did the honor of fist bumping. He smiled and opened his mouth to answer the guy.

"I've never met a Curry, but I am pretty sure I heard a similar name in Germana's archives of the old world's figures," Marcus fixed his scarf and stepped away and walked around, "but nevermind that. I believe that funny old man sold you the same promise of glory and saving all there is? I was sold when he mentioned me- us being destined for this. So you are probably one of the team's members, my teammate." Marcus walked back to face Danny.

"I am Marcus by the way, I'm from Jurgenville, Germana." Marcus extended his open palm, and favored a formal re-introduction, smiling.

3. Characters in this post:
    Blinking, Reino stood unamused by the antics that played out before his eyes. He did his best to keep his face straight-laced and focused, for succumbing to their level of foolishness would ruin his acute reputation. And besides, he was the oldest, aside from the drunken man who acted like a sixteen-year-old, which dictated being the stiffest. Right?

Rolling his shoulders back, Reino bobbed his head from side to side to loosen the strain in his neck. The toils of the previous battle were still taking his toll on him. In fact, Reino whipped his wrist up and around so he could gaze at his less than clean hands.

"Really," he muttered under his breath when he spied a single drop of blood on the white cuffs of the oxford he wore below the tux. This was not his day. Not only was his interrupted mid-bow-chica-wow-wow by Flynn and Quincy, but now he also had blood on his perfect uniform. Oh, and did he forget to mention that he left his friends back on his home plant to fend for themselves. Nearly dead comrades. You know, the ones that needed him more than ever and he up and left without second thought. Maybe he should have declined?

With a grimace, he pulled his attention off the blood-spotted sleeve and back at the comments at hand.

Yup. He should have declined.

Introductions. Yuck. Rolling his golden orbs, Reino found himself admiring the ceiling; it was far more entertaining. Yes, he could live here, he decided. The colors were perfect. Just the right amount of gold. It would suit him nicely. Who owned this place? And how could he get his hands on it? Eyeballing the old geezer, he smirked. If killing that old guy got him this sweet place, he would murder without hesitation.

In a dry, haughty voice, he plainly stated, "Not that I want to be that guy but let's get on with things already. I have worlds to save and people to see. Let's cut the pointless chit-chat and get to work."

He was definitely in a cheerful mood. Not.

4. Characters in this post:
    To say that Danny was ecstatic would have been an understatement; he was free-flying his way past cloud nine with every word coming out of the other boy's mouth.

Destiny.

He rather liked the sound of that. No, he really like the sound of it—gave the whole thing a nice ring to it.

But, of course, someone had to come along and crush everything with a certain kind of stink. The man was much older than either of the boys and Danny could tell because the brunette gave off that kind of "old-people" feeling he usually noticed around unnecessarily stuffy adults. He also gave off a vibe that said: I'd murder you in your sleep if you look at me wrong right now, boy. In a way, the man reminded him of his own brother, who, while not a would-be serial killer, was accustomed to having a stick shoved up his ass twenty-four-seven.

"Well, Marcus," the teen said, blatantly ignoring the much taller man as he took the proffered hand. "I'm Danny or Dash, I'm your residential speed master. I cook a mean pasta, like long walks on the beach, and I'm currently single. I also have the time to actually get to know my new teammates. Unlike, you know, some people."

Yeah, if the guy turned out to be a psycho killer, Danny was going to have to sleep somewhere far, far away. And probably not sleep at all.

5. Characters in this post:
    Liana let out a giggle when she noticed Danny's colorful appearance, but it turned into a full-blown chuckle seeing Marcus, Mr. Steampunk-Aesthetic bump him back. Well, technically his costume wasn't all that strange, but it didn't look like anything that one would find in her world unless they went to a niche convention. In fact, he seemed to be the one that stuck out amongst the stuffy suit and soulless ginger. No, this wasn't the time for taunts. Those were for her opponents, whoever they would be.

Still, he was a bit dense.

"Unless you mean the East Hijran dish then there's no 'curry' here," she said, "or well...I guess Hijran could be forming a team, but they don't have nearly enough resources to put plants in other countries..."

Damn now he had her questioning the legitimacy of the operation. No, Hijrans have more honor than this, she thought, shaking her head. She would trust Naghum for now since it got her out of further competition.

From the looks of him he was too incompetent to do anything other than bring them to this room anyway. When he visited all he had done was drink her alcohol and attempt to peep her in the shower (at least that's how she thought of their meeting seeing as he had the power to appear practically anywhere). She was sure that there were others behind the team's assembly and behind the creation of the room given how Null-proof it was. In her journey here, her NullSpider had died and she didn't dare summon anymore lest they suffer the same fate. The room itself was gold in color with red carpeting and windows with swirls of galactic dust decorating whatever space existed outside.

Who created this room? she wondered, turning back to her team.

The black-suited man wanted to cut to the chase, which was annoying but understandable given their position. Still, Liana wasn't in much of a hurry to head back to her universe.

"What's your rush? We haven't even been given a mission by Naghum," she asked with a hint of irritation, "the least you could do is give us your name."

She paused for a second, realizing her possible hypocrisy.

"For example, my name is Liana but most people call me 'Gatekeeper'."

6. Characters in this post:
    Danny seemed quite upbeat and fresh, a good contrast to the other less cheerful and kept-to-himself guy. Marcus smiled when the redhead mentioned cooking pasta, there was a certain joy in guys that cooked, it told something of their character. "Awesome, I make cupcakes, party cupcakes."

Their little conversation was interrupted by one of the team members, a girl in a cute outfit and interesting choice of hair color. Marcus really liked both of them so far and felt like he could work well with them, good first impressions. When Liana was done commenting on Hijran dishes, Marcus added. "Back in Germana, Curry was the favorite food of the steam-engines engineers, they said it gave them certain strength to handle their daunting tasks. I tried it once, never again though." Marcus chuckled.

The guy in the black suit expressed his impatience, he seemed ready to begin the mission, the mission that Naghum has yet to explain anything about, too busy getting intoxicated. The girl introduced herself sarcastically to the suited guy, Marcus took the initiative to bring him into the team.

"And I am Marcus, you are?" Marcus smiled with a big grin that stretched his face, quite the naive and innocent smile as he extended his hand to greet the well suited gentleman.

7. Characters in this post:
    Yup. It was official. He should have rejected the offer.

As all eyes fell on him, Reino found himself wishing he could roll his eyes at the situation. Granted, for as boring as this was, at least he wasn't on the verge of death. He didn't hear the crying screams of his teammates nor the ceaseless droning thuds of the blades of a helicopter. There were no ravenous snarls from monsters nor the thunderous boom of weapons meeting bone. The peace was almost welcoming -- perhaps too welcoming?

His gaze shifted down to his teammates and, for a brief moment, he felt relieved that none of their young eyes nor bodies looked as weathered and war-torn as his. Perhaps their worlds were softer on them? Perhaps they had a chance to live, whereas he was cursed to die?

Shaking off the looming feeling of abandoning him teammates, he sighed and let his lids snuff out his golden orbs. When they reopened, sharply and with a bit of dramatic flair, Reino's heels clicked together while he uttered, "Recently reinstated SFA Division One Senior Field Agent, Reino." As the words rolled off his tongue like water off a roof during a downpour, his golden pistol swiftly yet gently rose to kiss his lower lip.

Was he striking a pose? Perhaps. Or maybe it was his form of saluting.

Equipping a subtle smile on his face, he tried to follow suit with what the others shared. "Never heard of curry. I'm more a carne (meat) and tuberosum (potato) kind of guy. Not overly fond of spicy or sweet."

Check, he spoke about food he liked. What else did they talk about? Oh, a hobby or skill!

"Er, I like felidae." Not wanting to confuse them, he tried to curl his lips and mimicked the creature by adding, "Meow, meow purrr" to the end of his comment.

Hoping that introduction sufficed, he turned to the old guy that he assumed to be the "boss." Frankly, he hardly seemed suited for he was still too busy ignoring them. Seriously, his reckless antics were pissing him off. Why wasn't this guy giving them direction?! WHY WAS HE DOING NOTHING?!

Perhaps he should. No, that was too callus. No, it was very Reino-like.

BANG!

A single shot rang out. As the bullet lodged into the wall after just missing the old man, Reino holstered the weapon and coyly chided, "Sorry, I was just trying to get your attention. I know you old folk can't hear all the time." Malice look in his eyes, he bore down his annoyed gaze at Naghum hoping that maybe, just maybe, they would begin their mission before he had to babysit the kiddies a second longer!

8. Characters in this post:

These people don't know who Curry was.

That was his first thought. His second thought was interrupted by a gunshot. Apparently, this was how people greeted each other according to the would-be ax murderer. Or, rather, it's how he would greet the elderly.

"Bro," Danny said as soon as he had recovered from his shock, "That's how you give someone a heart attack."

Without any sort of warning, the teen was suddenly invading the other man's personal space. He was moving a mile a minute, his hands everywhere—touching this, touching that. He may have, at one point, touched something he shouldn't have. Of course, it was all accidental. That brush against the butt? Totally an accident. Blame it on the guy for having a butt, Danny hadn't been expecting anything there.

"Do you even have a permit for this thing?" Danny grabbed the holstered weapon, tossed it around, and attempted to spin the gun using only his index finger (that, by the way, did not go well. Do not attempt). He was suddenly reminded of the old west—cowboys, rodeos, and outlaws. He glanced over at Reino's face; he man definitely had the "surly" and "I've been 'round the block" look. "It's pretty clunky. Kind of ugly. Kind of big. And you know what they say about men with big guns." His face was now centimeters away from Reino's, so close that he could see the other man's pores. "They have big holsters. Betcha thought I was going to say 'small dicks,' didn't you?" He grinned as he returned the gun and, wisely, moved away.

Or, rather, moved everywhere.

He was running around, admiring the building, telling everyone that there was too much gold and the whole place reeked of "rich grandmother." He pointed to a corner and then appeared in the opposite corner, shouting about how the ceiling was way too high. He literally ran circles around the crew before stopping beside Liana with an arm around her shoulder, not caring that they've only just met.

"So, if the plan is to show off our abilities, I just want to say that I am obviously so much cooler than him"—he gestured at Reino, grinning widely as he did—"I mean, he's got a gun and an okay butt—alright, I won't lie, it's pretty nice. You should grab it when you can—but big deal right? I can carry you in my arms to Paris in under an hour. How about it? Sounds like a date? Friday any good? How about Saturday, then? I'm very flexible." He smiled at her, absolutely confident that he was "winning it."

"Also, does anyone have anything to eat? I'm freaking starved. I could eat, like, five large pizzas, easy."

One more thing about Danny, he will chatter away until the end of the days unless, well, unless nothing.

9. Characters in this post:
    Naghum was enjoying himself quite merrily over at the little bar he has set up behind the massive columns. The bar had all sort of bottles and jars from various universes, all for the pleasure of quenching the Elder's drunkard needs.
    His fingers fiddled and tapped a bottle by bottle, as he inspected them,

Johansons' Fine Ale 1859.
    Budweiser classic root beer.
    Lord Agathonson bloody marry, 1918.
    St. Peter Spirits, mint and lemon, 1870.
    Sherwerber mead, 1300.
    King's Amnesty Ale est. 1450.

His wrinkled fingers kept searching for a better bottle, "Ah! There it is!"

Lord Vlad's Company, seasoned white Ale and berry. 1850.

He has found the perfect drink for the occasion, as he extended his arm to grab it a thundering sound and a beam of light went through the bottle, shattering it into million hundred pieces. The liquid evaporated from the heat, what was left stained the Elder's beard, and faded robes.

One of the heroes holstered his weapon, calling out to begin the mission. He was despicable, but Naghum wasn't allowed feelings of bias towards his own team. He shrugged off the anger he wanted to hail on the suited man, instead he smiled, ignored him and kept looking for a better drink.

"We begin when the fifth member arrives, my visit to them (I'm actually with them now) is not over yet. The fifth member should be here soon. I believe you are in need of nourishment, there is some Pizza over there. I love those-"

He snapped his finger and a counter appeared behind one of the columns, the counter had all sort of pizza, numerous with variant exotic and dull toppings. There were ale in mugs, quite the contrasting meal.

10. Characters in this post:
    Danny, Marcus, Reino. She could remember that.

With introductions over the four were left to awkwardly talk about what they did for fun, the things they ate, and unintentionally, the disparities between worlds.

Carne, like meat. Tuberosum, like tubers, like potatoes? Wow this man had quite the bland palette. Liana couldn't imagine limiting her favorite (or even preferred) foods to such a small pool and without spices or sweets? She was pretty sure she was speaking to a robot of some sort. The guy answered the question monotonously and had a precise enough aim that he barely missed Naghum. [color=#C45AEC]It's possible that he's augmented like some of the contestants she thought with a pursed lip. She was over thinking this.

"Yes cats we know," Liana replied with a roll of her eyes, "our worlds are different but not stupid."

She considered walking to the refreshments when Danny began to zip around the room, effectively putting her on edge. His power reminded her too much of the late Speedster and it unnerved her. Granted, the Speedster appeared to be less careless with his power's usage, but that didn't make her feel any better.

The Speedster was also less talkative.

"Put that down" she commanded, "oh no don't spin it, please." He's going to hurt himself isn't he?

Not that it mattered, by the time that her voice had registered, he had already moved onto another subject. He was nearly psychic in echoing Liana's thoughts about the powers of the people in the room, but probably anti-psychic in that he thought it wise to touch her. Instead of the usual "feed him to the Null tactic" (as she realized she would be working with him) she crossed her arms.

"One hour is pretty fast," she said, more joking than serious, "but I can be anywhere in three seconds so I'll have to pass."

Okay well that wasn't totally true, but Liana wasn't going to lose her composure, especially not around a comparatively attractive charismatic boy (good God was he in high school or something? She knew she looked young for her age and well he was tall but still!). She'd been asked out plenty of times before! Even if he was the first that she didn't try to kill this was no different a situation. She would just get some pizza and ale and let that be all.

11. Characters in this post:
    The fifth member of the Protectors finally arrived through a portal, just in time for the first briefing. Naghum took a longer time with Genesis because her world was fractured, and his careless appearance there would endanger it. Nevertheless the final member was here, he finished drinking and snapped his fingers, the bar was gone. The members all sat around chair by the food filled table.

Reino, Marcus, Liana, Danny and Genesis all sat down waiting for the Elder to speak, instead he grabbed a slice of pizza and ate it rather savagely, enjoying the well baked topping, the cheese was simply perfect.

Marcus looked at his fellow members, some of them were dead-impatient. Some of them wanted to get up and smack the elders into dozen wrinkled pieces.
    "Err... Elder sir? Elder Naghum?"
    "hmm?"
    "I think we are all ready to finally know why we are here, and what are we going to do next?"
    "Oh yes yes," he wiped his mouth, snapped his fingers and the food was off the table, instead bowls of fruit salad and cups of ice cream appeared, "Gentlemen, and dear ladies, you have been chosen as the best candidates from all over the multi-universe, from all over the worlds. You all -together- have the power and will to maintain the stability and existence of fragile worlds on the verge of oblivion. You are Protectors of Existence."

One of the members shooted a sarcastic comment, that they already know why they are gathered, Naghum chuckled and nodded.

"Okay, your first mission is to save World-34J008. It is a world very similar to the default world. The only difference is that in this world animals are able to speak in human tongue, nothing that will come in the way of your mission.
    "
    Your mission is to stop a certain event from taking place, should it happen, this world will collapse on itself and get erased from the books."

Naghum then paused as he started eating from his ice-cream cup, moaning out load to the awkward faces of the team members, then he put down the dessert and continued,

"The event you should stop from happening is... World War II. Yes, there will be a global war in this world, you will have to stop it from happening, take out the seeds early.
    "
    your objective are:
    Assassinate an Austrian art student, he goes by the name Adolf Hitler. Currently at this time period he is known as 'Delfy. You need to end 'Delfy before his second term in 2 days. You may find other ways to do so, other than taking his life, but I leave that to you.
    "

Naghum sighed, he wasn't keen on taking lives, but if one life could save a universe, he was more than willing to discuss it, now he seems more serious than playful.

"Also be very careful not to reveal to anyone that you are from other worlds. And in this world use your powers subtly. We can't ruin their potential yet. That is it, your portal should be ready to take you to 'Delfy's college in an hour. Any questions? Also please feel free to ask for any supplies or morale pushes. It is my job to help you do your job"

12. Characters in this post:
    When the debriefing was one, it left a bad taste in Reino's mouth. It probably didn't help that the old geezer was macing so hard on his pizza that it sprayed his way. Regardless, something just wasn't adding up. That and he had a question, unrelated and irrelevant to the first issue.

"So you're telling me that we're tasked to assassinate one man, Delfy. Why do we need a five-man team for an assassination hit. Not that my past needs bringing up, but I can tell you from personal experience that the larger the team, the greater the outcome for error. Wouldn't it be easier to send one man in and then extract he or she with the rest of the team?" Looking from his pistol to Naghum, he smirked. Maybe there was a reason he was brought in. After all, he was a damn good marksmen and he was even better at making people and things disappear.

"I assume you'll have some long, contorted, unjustifiable answer to that question, so I'll retract it and replace my questioning with... what are the foreign policies on theft? More so... kidnapping." Eyes pulling from the faces, he tried not to smile at the ceiling. "I have always wanted a cat. And if I find a talking cat, I'm taking it."

Sure, the whole thing made sense. In and out, no showing off. Kill a man in two days. Return her and move on to the next mission. Easy as pie. Still, if his hunch was right, and they did 'fuck up,' what would happen. He didn't dare ask the question, for he hated self-doubt and he hated self-fulfilling prophecies even more.

"You don't happen to have images of what this world and its people look like?" Reino's golden orbs shifted to Danny and, within seconds, his entire look from clothing to eyes to hair, mimicked that of the spunky boy. "On my world, our clothing and eyes change. You wish it, and the neurons in the brain relay a message to the receptive clothing and lens. Clothing, where I'm from, also includes skin color and hair style." Shifting back to his true form, he rolled back his shoulders before adjusting his posture.

"You want us to blend in? Give us some examples."

13. Characters in this post:
    Liana tilted her head at the elder's debriefing. The fact that there were other worlds in existence was enough to throw her head in a spin, but the fact that there was something known as a "default world" confused her even more. World-34J008 implied that there were at least thirty four worlds with twenty six sub-variations and then another eight variations of the "J" category (likely more given that he put two zeroes in front of that).

During the time they traveled to this plane of existence, Naghum had referred to her universe as "forty-seven" without any extra numbers or letters which made her assume that her world was just another universe but now she knew it was a simplification.

How many variations are there of my own world?

In retrospect she accepted what he told her far too easily. At best, he gave her a half-assed explanation of how every universe intersected and at worst was a deranged, meddlesome man bent on "fixing" these other worlds to fit his own image.

She'd barely heard Reino's words before speaking up. Something about cats she assumed.

Of all things why would you want to bring back a talking cat? It's not going to get much out of eating pizza and beer.

She knew better than to spout petty nonsense, particularly when he had a few good points.

"For that matter, not all of us are going to blend in to this world as is," she continued,
    "why not divide the party and send the rest of us to worlds that better suit our skill sets?"

Posts 1 to 13 of 13