Login to your account

Dark Seed

A dark fantasy set in a diverse world that is swiftly dying. You have been snatched from near death to take on a quest from the dying Goddess of Ivory: find out why the Dark Seed was released. There is no guarantee that you be able to stop the events that are unfolding but you will confront gods, fight the cruelest of beasts, unravel the world's oldest mysteries, and maybe die with some peace.......

Tags: adventure, apocalypse, dark fantasy, fantasy, fighting, magic, monsters, unique world, war

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Open

Creator: NomDePlume

Created: 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
Place:       Character:

Game Log in Part II: A Culmination of Souls

They have travelled to Ebony in search of answers- shall they find them? Or shall there only be more questions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 30 of 42

Thread: Dark Seed

1. Characters in this post:
    The caravans were slow tumbling away from the Ivory City. It was unknown whether or not they felt the desolation ebbing off of the empty city from their station far away- or if they simply didn’t plan to stop at the gleaming huddle of buildings in the distance.

When they arrived they found themselves immersed in the thick scent of those from all over their world. There were the somewhat plant-like Malachites, the sleek and dark Ebonites, the brooding Carnelians, the altered Steels, the feral Copperians, and even a few Ivories who glanced back towards the homestead with trepidation and curiosity.
    They offered to take the group to the City of Ebony, but for a cost: tell them the tale of Ivory.

Ebony existed to the immediate West of its’ sister city, and it was apparent as to where its’ name evolved from. The banqueted plains of fervent green and sweepings golds turned into grey-black turns of rock and stone, and the roads become narrower as the sweeping jags of earth erupted around them. The sky took on a dusky umber hue, and the stars seemed to show far more brilliantly at night. They were like small pinholes of light in a smooth expanse of darkness. Ebony wasn’t always in darkness, but there was never a full light in the land as their position on this tilting planet always seemed to glance the sun.
    Yet there was beauty in this because the close they got to the Ebony City the more and more the stars shown until the small specks became rivers of light that poured into their horizon- into the Starlit Sea. Immense inky black waves crashed against the craggy peaks of gray, and only the most brave of the citizens of Ebony skimmed these waters for fallen stars- for their hearth fire in an unforgiving land.

The caravan halted at the gates of the Ebony City.
    “This is odd,” one of the riders stated. “There has never been a refugee check here before.”
    “Aye you would think this was the City of Steel or some such nonsense.”
    “I told tha lot of yah we shoulda gone to Copper.”
    Margot pulled her head out of her journal as the husky rumbling of argument made her ears flick. “What seems to be the problem?”
    A caravan member whipped her head over and glanced at the Copper Child’s form before she rattled on. “They are stopping us- checking our papers. It might be a good time to part from us- you might have an easier time with just the four of yah. You might mention that you know what happened to Ivory- yeah?”

Margot found that to be sound advice and went to gather her companions. Between being messengers of Misene and Ivory- there was always Jian who was a citizen of Ebony. They were bound to get in. Well addendum- they needed to get in. Who knew how many days they had until the next Dark Seed attack?

2. Characters in this post:
    The journey to Jian's homeland was a bit long, but he was happy to see the familiar cityscape once again. Sure, it might have seemed a bit dark and bleak to the others in his group, but to Jian, it was comforting.

The caravan eventually stopped at a checkpoint near the city's entrance. 'Huh...that's new.' he thought, 'Did something happen? Oh Misene, please tell me my girls are all right.'. A feeling of dread crept its way up the man's spine as he thought of his family. Something must've happened, why else would the city close itself off like this?

The sound of the others exiting the caravan snapped him back to reality and Jian tried to get a hold of himself. He couldn't appear weak, especially now when this rag-tag group needed him most. He'd have to be their guide to this metropolis after all. "Now where should we go first?" he quietly mumbled to himself as he secretly eyed each of the party's members.

3. Characters in this post:
    Nimbus was perched on top of the caravan. She was having a look at Tristan. He seemed interesting to her. A young man, but an old soul kind of feeling struck her. Normally she would have taken this time to nap, but she didn't feel quite so safe right now. The Copperian didn't necessarily trust these folks. When the caravan stopped and her new comrades got off, Nimbus peeked over the edge of the top of the wagon.

"Check points?" She muttered to herself. Then grumbled that she didn't even have to go on land for any stinking check points. Flying was so much faster and efficient. If only everyone could do it. Seeing as they can't, Nimbus irritatingly hop-fluttered to the ground and when Jian asked which way they should go first, Nimbus thought it might be the best time to ask Jian a question, as well as give him her opinion.

"I think I'd like to visit a Blacksmith friend of mine. Short man, big beard. Has a limp in the left leg. I call him Chub. Because he's chubby." Nimbus spoke, and then turned her gaze up at Jian. "Would you be a pal and let me perch on your shoulder? It's dreadful down here."

"Please" She added quickly, remembering her manners.

4. Characters in this post:
    The mention of the word 'blacksmith' caught Jian's attention immediately. As the eagle described the man she was talking about, a somewhat familiar image formed in his head. " I think I have seen who you're talking about, Nimbus." he mentioned, "I don't know him that well, but we've briefly met a couple of times. I don't recall his name though. We see one another in the marketplace once in a blue moon.".

Jian closed his eye and raddled his brain for that man's name. 'I know his name, I know I do. Ugh, why can't I think of it?!' he yelled at himself in his mind. It was then that the eagle made an odd request. Slowly opening his eyelid, Jian gazed at Nimbus as he thought for a moment. "Eh, why not. Come on up here." Jian patted his shoulder, inviting the bird to perch herself there. The spaulders on his shoulders protected his skin from Nimbus' sharp claws and provided a nice foundation for her to grip on to.

5. Characters in this post:
    "Oh, goody!" Nimbus swept up happily to his left shoulder, so she didn't block the vision of his right eye. Her claws held strong, but she knew his shoulder would be fine. After all, she wasn't actually holding skin.

"By the way, I think Chub's real name is..." Nimbus huffed in thought. What was his real name? Bob? Cob? It had something to do with 'ob'. "Oh, wait, yeah. He's Rob. Yeah, that's it. Robert Bartholomew Wick."

"But he looks like 'Chub' to me so..." Nimbus trailed off, shrugging. Then she sighed in contentment. The Golden Eagle could see very well from that height. It wasn't anything like flying, but she was glad to be off the ground at the least. The Copperian wouldn't be trouble at all to carry either. She was sure Jian was strong enough to handle the weight. Besides that she kept clean and she would say she smelled like gardenia flowers, if you asked her.

"Are we all going to the Smithy? Or what? Do we split up and meet somewhere later? I do really have to get my gear prepped." Nimbus asked the others.

6. Characters in this post:
    Tristan spent much of his time on the caravan in a deep and quiet thought. Sometimes he wrote in the journals he kept, other times he just sat in silence or stared out at the scenery. He spoke sometimes, but little. He learned the names of his new companions, which was a start at least. Better than thinking of them all as ‘Woman’, ‘Horned-man’, and ‘Bird’. When the caravan came to a stop he listened to everyone talking about the checkpoint. What if we are not able to get into the city? the thought crossed his mind.

He hopped down off of the caravan with the rest of them. He listened as Nimbus and Jian discussed the blacksmith’s name, and he couldn’t help but chuckle when Nimbus continued to refer to the man as Chub even after recalling his real name. While they continued to discuss where to go next he took his crimson blindfolded out of one of his pockets. Tristan lowered his hood so that he could fasten it on before he brought the hood back up. The dark was something he’d grown accustomed to, but it didn’t mean he enjoyed it.

7. Characters in this post:
    Margot scuttled behind Nimbus and Jian as they discussed the name of a potential fellow that they were going to visit. His name was apparently forgettable, but his appearance inspired the revelation of ‘Chub’. She let loose a loud pout as she felt that the conversation was blathering into the inane. About that time Tristan joined them with a blazing crimson scarf covering his eyes. Margot wanted to ask about it immediately, but realized that it was probably not the time or place. Her influence over the boyish faced male was probably not to the point that she could will such information from his lips.

‘Dearest Hastian- this seems less like a proper recording of the world around my journeys and more like my vexations of my travel partners. We seem to be discussing the proper name of a weapon smith named ‘Chub’. Chub bring to mind someone with a festive amount of fat covering their body and a lack of worry about its’ existence. I find that intriguing, but not the point that I want to follow these two to find out. We need to find Magnus. Apparently I’m the only one crunched for time here. Isn’t that somewhat hypocritical?’

“So is this Chub fellow far from here? Because the Temple of Ebony is only a short jaunt that way.” It was hard to miss that massive structure that nearly blotted out the sky. She would gain nothing from visiting a weapon smith. What could Margot do exactly? She was short. She was not at all muscular- if anything she probably needed to lose a few pounds. Her kind was not nimble, but neither were they stout- they were more people of the land than of the military. There was her ability to use a crossbow, but to be honest that was mostly for show than actual application.

Her eyes flicked over the walls as they were ushered through without much hassle. Apparently Jian’s appearance or maybe their miniscule group would not be ground s for much trepidation. The city sprawled out before them in glimmering flickers of dark majesty that was punctuated by glowing hearth lights.
    “Hm maybe we can spare the time.” She mushed sweetly. “I am also starving.” A lazy point of her fingers to her curves and she admitted: “I didn’t get to be this curvaceous without a little help.”

8. Characters in this post:
    The group had fortunately made its way through the gates without much impediment along the way. Jian was familiar with most of the people managing the checkpoints, as most of their armor had been forged or repaired by Jian himself. Usually only a wink and a nod were needed to pass through and soon enough, they were inside the breath-taking Ebony City.

Jian found himself taking in the familiar sights, sounds and smells of his homeland when something caught his eye. Apparently the other male had adorned himself with a bright crimson blindfold. 'Huh, this group just keeps getting weirder and weirder.' he thought as he made a mental note to keep half and eye on Tristan. It would be disastrous if the smaller man hurt himself or something with that red thing blocking his eyesight. 'It seems that both of us have vision problems. I wonder what his deal is.' Jian would have to discuss it with him later.

As for where to go first, both Nimbus and Margot had valid points. The group needed to freshen up their weaponry, gather supplies and fill their bellies. A hungry rumble from Jian's stomach sealed the deal on where they would venture to first. "It appears that both Margot and I are in need of a meal." he announced, "I'm assuming you two are as well? I know a little shop not too far from here that's cheap and tasty if we want to head that way.". He pointed in a westerly direction, towards the outskirts of the nearby marketplace.

9. Characters in this post:
    "Yeah, sure." Nimbus shrugged, thinking the red fold on Tristan was one of the funniest things a person could do to their face, on purpose! But she kept her laughter away form escaping. Still, her mind kept going back to think. 'Why blind yourself on purpose?'. Not the best at asking those things when food has been mentioned, for if it wasn't, Nimbua would be spilling out her curiosity, she nodded to Jian.

"And yeah, Margot, Chub is in that direction. Something about, better pay er, better something." Nimbus sighed. "I don't know, I just know I saved his ass- Um sorry...I saved him once and he's the guy I go to for free service. These battle claws, he invented them."

"But I guess I can spare the time to eat, I'm quite hungry as well." Nimbus wasn't starving, she had caught food along the way to Ebony. Yet, food passes and now it was time to eat again. "Why not eat first then, Margot? I can tell you want to get this quest going, but we do need food" Nimbus smiled warmly at her friend. She thought Margot was a sweet Copperian. Tristan seemed odd with his blind fold, and Jian was a sport. He wasn't mad about the 'goat boy' thing, and let her on his shoulder.

10. Characters in this post:
    Tristan walked through streets with the others with surprising ease. It was something he had just grown used to over time, yet now even beneath the blindfold he was pleasantly surprised that he could still see the small lights in others. It helped in the getting around whenever they would pass by other people or make their way through a crowded street. He listened to the bustling noises around him and praised himself for remembering to cover his eyes. He could hear merchants, entertainers, and laughter in the distance. The market, probably he figured. Tristan stopped when the others stopped to discuss where they should go first.

“I don’t particularly need anything from a blacksmith, but something to eat would be nice.” He said as he remembered he had not eaten for quite some time.

11. Characters in this post:
    “It is decided then,” with that Margot pointed in the direction that Jian was heading with extreme gusto and eagerness. “Onward to sustenance!”

It had been easy enough to procure food, and Margot devoured it quite hastily as they began to make their way towards the one known as ‘Chub’ and his glorious ‘battleclaw’ invention. The woman had to admit that Nimbus’s fashioned weapons were quite aesthetically pleasing if not overly handy to have. Still Margot saw no need for such things to be designed for her own self, and teetered about with thoughts of their mission. It was sad how busy her mind was as it usually was more restful and content to wallow about in fine foods, stout wines, and good stories. Ah- and speaking wine- Margot had managed to procure some from a street vendor on their way into the marketplace. While it probably wasn’t in good taste to drink before attempting an audience with Magnus- she would eventually find time drink herself cheerfully silly, and of course encourage her compatriots to do the same.

OOC: Yes I sort of just glossed over getting food as I didn’t think it was important to the plot. But rumxcoke feel free to bring in Chub now. I’m excited to see this NPC. c:

12. Characters in this post:
    Nimbus tried to keep crumbs off of Jian. Her raspberry pasty, although moist and filled with berry goodness, was still sticky at the least. She managed well enough, hiding a smudge of jam from Jian, which wasn't too hard because she was sitting on his blind side. The Golden Eagle had a sweet tooth and a liking for wine as well. Before she could ask Margot to open the bottle now, for her manners were not as refined as the pale lady, she looked up and called out to stop walking.

“Hey, guys, here we are.” Nimbus spoke. “See? Not very far from where we need to go. Chub! Hey CHUB!” The large birds voice raised above the hussel and bussel. Beside them was a rather peculiar house for Ebony to have. It reminded one of a badgers hovel. Connected to it was a fine looking Smithy. The embers of the fire with in gave the place a warmth. Currently the man was not seen, but then he came shuffling out to greet them.

“Nimbus? Is that you?” The man spoke in a different language, but Nimbus understood him. It was the circumstance of Chub's rescue that forever prevented him from using the common tongue, but the one used by crows. A bird language was no challenge for Nimbus. Chub still had his business, because he could write in the common tongue, as well as still understand it.

Chub came around the bend of his home, a greasy rag in his hands. A few scars here and there gave him character. Chub was more muscular than what Nimbus had described, although he did seem to fit the name Nimbus used for him. He had a boulder like appearance, three fuzzy tails and five twisted horns that pointed back away from his bearded face. His colors were dusty grays and red. Chub was short. Shorter than Margot. But as tubby and small as he was, his hands were that of a Blacksmiths, and no doubt about it!

“Nimbus! You old bird you! It's good to see you again!” He just about hugged her, but stopped. Chub was covered in grime. “And who are your friends?”

“Oh, that's right.” Nimbus pointed to each person. “This is Jian, of course, he's from here. The Copperian is Margot, and this one with the red blindfold is Tristan of Silver- Yes, the one that's been consumed by the Dark Seed.” Nimbus nodded to her friends curious expression.

“Oh, well, that's a tragedy that happened to your City lad.” Chub spoke sympathetically. Nimbus relayed to her comrades whatever Chub had to say, so they were in the know.

"Alright Nimbus, you come here for a visit or two, but I'm guessing you need some repairs?" He asked, a serious professionalism came over the man. A bit of pride in him too, because he had seen Jian before, and knew that the man was also a Blacksmith...but Nimbus was at Chub's station, not Jians. So he took this opportunity to show off a little.

"I can do whatever you need, Nim." He said, and told the others he was glad to help them as well.

13. Characters in this post:
    Tristan had finished his own meal quickly enough. Like Margot, Tristan was eager to continue on. He was both curious and wary about the audience with Magnus that lie ahead of them, and if it would give them any of the answers they sought. Would he be able or willing to reveal the location of Janus? And there was another goal Tristan had in mind; a silent hope known only to him.

“Follow the path that they have set out before them, and you will find what has happened to the one person you loved the most in this world.”

These words still whispered to his mind in times of silence. Dare he hope for such a thing?

It won’t really change the outcome, though… Tristan mused as he followed the others through the city as they made their way to where the blacksmith “Chub” had his shop. I can’t change the past… He held a doubt in his heart for a moment before he finally shook it away. He was committed now. He had agreed to help in this journey and so he would. Besides, even if he could not change the past, knowing was still better than wondering.

When they did reach the blacksmith, they soon learned that, for whatever reason, Chub did not speak the common tongue. Nimbus provided the group with translations. Tristan stood attentively, though he shifted a little uneasily when Silver was mentioned.

“That's a tragedy that happened to your City” Nimbus translated for him.
    “It was.” He said. He wondered if he should say more, but what more was there? The city was gone. Its people had been left in much the same state that had been seen in Ivory.
    Silver had once been such a beautiful place… he thought to himself.

Tristan didn’t personally need anything worked on from the blacksmith. He was already well armed, and Tristan always did his best to keep his blades in good condition.

14. Characters in this post:
    Eventually, the group made its way towards the little restaurant and ate to their hearts' content. As for Jian, he enjoyed a noodle bowl of some kind as the bird on his shoulder munched on a pastry. 'An eagle eating baked goods. Who would've thought?' he mused to himself as they meandered over to Nimbus' friend's shop.

Soon enough, the companion on Jian's shoulder was calling out to the man known as Chub. As it turned out, he was quite short, especially standing next to Jian but he had respect for the blacksmith. They hadn't spoken in a while, but they had mutual respect for each other. What was surprising was that Chub spoke in a harsh, almost bird-like way with words the horned man couldn't decipher. 'The language of the birds? What in the world?' Jian wondered in his mind.

"Hey, Nimbus?" Jian questioned the eagle in a hushed tone, "What's with the bird-speak? Can't he just speak to us in our common tongue? I know he knows it...we've spoken together before.". Jian eyed the boulder-like man suspiciously for a minute before gazing around the shop to look for anything they would need.

Something about this blacksmith guy was different. Not necessarily good or bad mind you, but different nonetheless. And to Jian, something changing usually wasn't a good thing. Anyway, he decided that Margot needed to carry a weapon. The others were well-armed, but she was utterly defenseless as of this moment. 'Now what kind of a weapon could she handle?' The taller man took note of the rapiers, light crossbows and daggers lining the shop wall. 'Those shouldn't be too heavy for her delicate frame.'.

15. Characters in this post:
    "Hey, Nimbus?" Jian questioned the eagle in a hushed tone, "What's with the bird-speak? Can't he just speak to us in our common tongue? I know he knows it...we've spoken together before.". Jian eyed the boulder-like man suspiciously for a minute before gazing around the shop to look for anything they would need.'

"Oh, well, it's kind of like this..." Nimbus began. "Chub knows many languages, it's true, but at the time he was injured he had hit his head pretty hard right after speaking to some crows. It was the last language he spoke before he lost consciousness. When I found him, he was just waking up when a few bandits pulled a knife on him. I dived down and defended him, this was before..."

Nimbus stopped suddenly. She was not certain if she should say the reason why she would not have helped Chub, if she had seen him just a short month later.

"...Anyway, something just went wrong with his head, and now he can't speak anything but Crow speech." The Golden Eagle really didn't really want to talk about what had almost happened to her.

"Chub said I was welcome to his Smithy and free service, and that's what happened. Not much else to tell about that..."

It was too much to speak of how she would have just ignored Chub if she had found him later. How she would have had a cold heart and not cared to help him for free. And from what Nimbus felt when she got Misene's seed, she didn't want to lose the healing that was happening in her heart by bringing up a near death experience.

Nimbus had many near deaths, but none so personal as what happened to her not so long ago. A few months ago in fact.

"So, Chub, I need my battle-claws cleaned and sharpened. The re-tractability is getting a bit hard to do now. I think there is too much blood stuck in the talon joints." The Copperian flew over to his work bench, unlatching the weapons from her feet. She also slipped off her helmet. "This needs a shine."

16. Characters in this post:
    Chub was well- not what Margot expected. Maybe she was visualizing someone far more rotund. Mind you he did have a bit of adipose that settled on his form but he was far from someone whose body type was ‘chubby’. As they were introduced- she performed a short little curtsey and feigned a motion of sweeping a dress to the side. “Pleasure,” she stated sweetly before her eyes crept over to Tristan’s form. She found herself perplexed once again over the blindfold but said nothing of it, and instead offered a polite frown when the City of Silver was mentioned once again.

It was swift enough that the conversation swept back to Jian and Nimbus reacquainting themselves with Mister Not-Chub, and Margot found herself glaring at all the weapons loitering about. Mind you she had a crossbow and that while it was no threatening sword or intimidating axe- it got the job done when need be. More importantly she stayed far from dirty when fights did erupt. Margot was no soldier and didn’t at all pretend to be one- but sometimes she found herself at the sour end of a squabble.
    She glanced back over to Nimbus and offered a bemused smile as the warrior eagle brandished her weapons to the man. The only part of Margot that might be viewed as dangerous was her horn, and that was only if someone wasn’t paying much attention and lost an eye to it.

Margot took that time to saddle up to Jian and look over what he was looking over. “Never been one for weapons- I’ve always found my words and wit to be sharper and stronger than any sword. That and I’m short- as are most bushes.”

17. Characters in this post:
    “Margot, perhaps you might want to try a rapier or a dirk.” He suggested as he spoke up. “You have a crossbow, but while a crossbow can be a very useful thing at a distance, it takes quite a while to reload. If an enemy were to rush you than you would need another method of defending yourself as you might not get another bolt off in time. A rapier is a very light blade and easy to maneuver with. It is more of a defensive or parrying type of weapon, but that might suit you better.” Tristan pulled the dirk at his waist out from the small sheath. “A dirk is a sort of thrusting dagger. It is a short blade so it is easily concealed, but it has a very short reach.” He explained. “Whatever you choose, you should choose something. You should always expect the worst.”

18. Characters in this post:
    "I think he's right, Margot." Nimbus overheard them, as she was watching Chub go at his work. Nimbus was perched on the work-bench. Chub would need that place soon. Nimbus turned her Eagle eyes over to the fellow Copperian.

"Ranged weapons are great, but ya have to admit, not all enemies sit back and take crap." She smiled. Nimbus was being encouraging, at least she thought so. The Golden Eagle wasn't one for the best of manner's so she just winged it.

"Hey, Tristan. If Jian is ever out and about, could I hop on your shoulder to?" It was a thought that crossed her mind. What if Jian wasn't around? He's the tallest one, so the most desirable to sit on, but Tristan was there to. Margot's shoulders may not benefit from Nimbus's claws. The feathered female couldn't ask this favor of her pretty pale comrade.

19. Characters in this post:
    Nimbus’s question was one that took Tristan a little off guard, but he smiled gently as he nodded. “I don’t mind it.” He told his feathered companion.

20. Characters in this post:
    Margot blinked and glanced between the two. “As pleasant as that sounds- I don’t much have the talent for such weapons. I’m not a warrior like the rest of you.” She stated somewhat dumbly. “I am a cartographer, a journalist, and a bit of a drifter. I have done just fine with my crossbow so far. I fear that if I take any other weapons I would hurt myself more than protect myself.” It was then she had a thought and reached into her satchel procuring a small journal. She leafed through a few pages before a look of both enlightenment and interest bubbled across her face. “It is as the old philosopher DeLa Martes once said: ‘a weapon wielded without knowledge does more harm than good- for what can you accomplish if you don’t even fathom the extension of your own self.’ It may not apply to actual weapons but it does have a point.” It was then she chuckled, “a point- hm- yes- no pun intended.”

It was then she returned her book and inevitably rummaged her hand around for something else lost within the folds of that satchel. “Ah- and I do have a hunting knife. If that helps?” Honestly Margot didn’t want to lambast them with her monetary troubles at the moment and so just attempted to verbally weasel her way around the obligation.

21. Characters in this post:
    “If that is your choice then so be it, but I would not mind teaching you how to use such weapons.” Tristan suggested. “If you are uncomfortable with the notion then please do excuse me. It is your call, either way, Margot.” Tristan smiled gently.

22. Characters in this post:
    It took a little longer than expected, but Nimbus got all her gear cleaned, sharpened, and ready to go. It was a fine job. The Golden Eagle expected nothing less. Chub was an old Blacksmith with many years of experience under that big wide belt of his. It was good fortune to have made a friend in him. To think he may not have been one she called friend made her shutter. The coldness of heart she may have had was really beginning to dawn on Nimbus. Maybe it was the Seed from Misene.

"Thanks Chub, but I suppose we should get going." She told him apologetically. Nimbus kind of grazed over briefly about seeing Magnus. Chub bid farewell to them and Nimbus hopped on Tristan's shoulder this time, by his leave of course. Her battle claws were retracted at the moment.

"Well, I'm ready." Nimbus spoke.

23. Characters in this post:
    Tristan nodded. As he had told Nimbus before, he did not mind if she rode upon his shoulder. “Are you ready to go as well, Margot?”

24. Characters in this post:
    “I have been for a while now.” Margot responded cheekily, but then offered a sincere smile. “Very well- I shall purchase a dirk if it makes you two feel better.” She stated as she picked up one with a nice and sleek blade, but a bulbous enough pommel that she could grip it with ease. It wasn’t too much, but maybe she would find use for it later on. Who knew- maybe it would be particularly good at whittling wood or cleaning her nails.

Though given their proximity to the next step in their mission- Jian had decided to take a respite. The understanding the world might end tomorrow sunk heavily into his bones, and he went to spend his final days with his children. There was much saying goodbye, but no tears shed- the feeling was understandable. Yet at his final farewell Misene’s seed left him and returned to nestle besides its’ brethren in Margot’s pack.

---

The City of Ebony wasn’t an expansive thing but formed a nasty silhouette in the horizon. The Temple of Ebony was a shining beacon amongst it all- spires of pure darkness with a doorway that opened into a resounding yawn upon the city. It wasn’t guarded at all- even if the insides of it held countless treasures of this periphery of the world. One wouldn’t dare take from God of Ebony unless they cared to be hunted for the rest of their life. A stalwart deity, but not without a heavy application of power.
    Either way- given the ease that one could waltz into such a place they would find themselves amongst the hallowed halls of one of the last bastions of their civilization. Not a soul whispered down the dark marble floors, and the countless doors that were between our gallant adventurers and the god were locked quite tightly.

Yet there was one at the end of the hall- a massive two paneled thing with brilliant silver knobs and ancient filigree. There was a man that stood before this entrance. He had a massive silver gilded helmet that obscured his eyes before swooping up into two horns that curled much like a rams around his face. That skin of his was as dark as night without a single blemish or marking on it to alter it otherwise. He was in the armor of the Ebon Guard, but instead of just having a sword like the others did- he held in his hand a massive pike that thrummed with an ethereal energy. When he went to speak- his tongue and teeth were as dark as his flesh, and offered little to break the monotony of his umber hue. “Speak your business,” he announced and left it there.
    Margot went to open her mouth but found the pike pointed her at her lips. “Not you.” He responded briskly. “The others- especially this one- the Child of Silver.” That weapon slid to the side to Tristan out of curiosity and thought.

25. Characters in this post:
    Not you? Tristan wondered why the man did not want to hear from Margot, but he spoke up all the same. “We have come in hopes of audience with Magnus.” He began. “We have come from Ivory, or…What is left of it. The lady Misene has tasked us with finding Janus the Liarsmith to learn more about the Dark Seed. We hope to stop it before it can cause more destruction than it has already caused. We have hopes that Magnus may know something, or at the least know where we may be able to find the Liarsmith.”

26. Characters in this post:
    The guard glanced over the Silver denizen’s form, or at least one would assume considering that no one could make out their eyes behind the half-mask attached to his helmet. The weapon in his hand did not lower, and his aggressive stance didn’t at all falter. If anything those umber teeth only grit more in aggravation. “Do you play me for a fool?” The man hissed. “Not much time has passed since Ivory’s passing and you spill filth from your lips.” With that he pressed the blade of his pike closer towards Tristan’s neck. “The Dark Seed is coming, and you whelps get more and more adventurous with your lies. All trying to seek protection from Magnus.”
    “But it is the truth.” Margot pleaded. Of course she realized how foolish it sounded a group of mixed travelers in the Temple of Ebony and beckoning an audience with the god under the notion that they were sent from Misene herself. Had it not happened to her- she would have dismissed it as well.

“I find that hard to believe.” With that he lowered his pike and glanced between the three of them. “Leave now and I won’t find provocation to place your heads upon the stakes lining the Liar’s Quarter.” It was common knowledge that the City of Ebony even for all its supine grandeur mounted the heads of thieves, criminals, and even dirty politicians for all to see. They valued honor above all and sought retribution against those that didn’t abide by it, and that in itself was a double edge sword.

Margot went to state something else- anything else- but found her head reeling painfully as another vision passed before her eyes. While she watched an expansive scene unfold it was only mere blinks of an eye for everyone else.

Misene’s laugh graced the viridian fields with their sloppy blades of grass and small pink painted flowers betwixt them. “Stop it Magnus,” she cooed. “Must you be like your brother so? He is the trickster. You are the stoic and unwavering one.”
    The tight feeling of arms coming around her waist came next and a husky voice sung into her ear. “I was hiding in plain sight- you were the one that failed to see me.”
    She floundered before she leaned into him and pressed the soft wave of her locks against his chest. “You hid in shadows you cheat. Is this the way you treat your people?”
    Magnus grunted and placed a kiss atop her head. “I do like watching them squirm. And you as well- but in an entirely different manner.”

Margot gasped brilliantly and paused. “He likes watching us squirm. Magnus does.” She pressed her eyes against Tristan. Honestly she didn’t know what that meant or even how they were to use that in their advantage, but the memory showed itself for a reason she figured.

27. Characters in this post:
    Tristan was unflinching even when the pike touched his throat. He stared straight ahead at the man, or would have if he were not blindfolded. He inclined his head a little after Margot spoke, confirming he’d heard her, but what did it mean?

Tristan tried a different method of seeing. He has this seed for a reason, right? He’d been chosen for a reason, and this had been the gift granted to him. He dipped into that seed to see what he might see, and if there might be anything out of the ordinary.

28. Characters in this post:
    The world would fade from the conscious notion of mortal bodies that incased unseen seeds into one that was the truth behind that layer of façade. Tristan would see the vague outline of a being or at least the shape that they inhabited to mortal eyes. Within them he would see the seeds that formed the roots of this form, and how they spread out and dwindled more towards the porphyries of their form much like veins and arteries did. Margot had two seeds- one which defined her and another which snuggled up against that and on occasion touched her own. Nimbus would have three- one that seemed to define her, another which seemed to brace against it, and finally Misene’s which attempted to sit between the two in its’ glory.

When eyes are turned towards the guard before them- well his seed is nothing like the others. It is near painful to look at, and while the other’s faded near the end- it burns him through to the ends. Tristan wouldn’t be able to keep his power turned on for long, but honestly he didn’t need to look at the guard too much longer to know who he was- Magnus.

29. Characters in this post:
    Tristan inhaled sharply as he turned his head away as if to shield his own eyes even though he was blindfolded. He stopped using his power immediately, for the light was simply too much. After a moment he turned back towards this guard. “For a God that presides over a city of honor; tricks and threats seem not to suit you, Magnus.” Tristan had a bold tongue despite the different between Magnus’ size and power and his own.

30. Characters in this post:
    Nimbus had mostly listened and observed the goings on. Her blue gaze flicking occasionally to the pretty things in the place. But the Golden Eagle was intelligent enough not to be tempted to look things over. Her mercenary tendency to peek at goodies she might acquire for a job wouldn't be sated here. As the guard addressed Tristan Nimbus didn't feel the need to add to anything. The child of Silver hit the nail on the head. Yet, the guards irritating gruff response did make her feathers ruffle. Then Margot spoke that Magnus likes to see them squirm.

"Ugh, seems the type I guess." She mumbled.

When Tristan reached to use his seed from Misene, and spoke to the 'guard' so boldly as Magnus himself, the Eagle seemed just as indignant to this petty facade of a sentinel that Magnus took as his guise. What had prompted him to be so sneaky?

"Well what do ya say to that, Magnus?" Nimbus had known her companions for a short while, but her loyalties to them warmed up. For Nimbus, it was a kind of 'Ah hah! my friend figured you out'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 30 of 42