Login to your account

Helidor in Turmoil

The world of Helidor is on the brink of political and social revolution. Will you rebel too?......

Tags: alternate reality, fantasy, politics, power, rebellion, religion, strategy, war

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Open

Creator: Knerd

Created: 06-01-2011, 01:11 AM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
  1. Characters in this post:
    Well, that was certainly a thought. Ellia had not been to the Tavern in years. She had once been dragged out there by the older guards in a night of hazing, where she was fed drink after drink until she could no longer remember getting back to the castle. It wasn't her finest night and she had not touched drink since then. Still, visiting the Tavern for supper that night wouldn't hurt. She hoped.

Ellia still had some time before her shift ended, however. She stood with her back straight and listened carefully as footsteps echoed throughout the corridor.

2. Characters in this post:
    Mya turned when Ellia spoke, grinning a little. "I'll be sure to let them know, no problem." She smiled, and faced the girl completely.

"If you'd like... Once your replacement fills in, I'd be happy to have your company at the Neckwood Tavern. I'm... I'm not too good at the whole "making friends" thing, but I get the feeling you don't get out much. Maybe you'll enjoy it." Mya then turned and continued on her way out of the dungeons. She didn't pass any other guards on her way out, except the ones who were standing at their posts.

Mya left the castle stifling a yawn. Despite how tired she was, she knew that she'd get no sleep that night, at least not until she'd run herself dry with work. Besides, she'd put up with much less sleep before.

3. Characters in this post:
    "If it keeps bringing you back into my Tavern, then by all means annoy whomever you like!" Castle like was so filled with decorum and hierarchical rankings that the occasional misstep amused Adir to no end. At least his Tavern remained open to all Helidor citizens, regardless of their occupation. That was one of the many reasons why he loved his work. If he were restricted to speaking only with this person or that, he would likely die of boredom before the week was through.

"Everyone should learn to ride well," he quietly mused, half to himself. "It's a skill that will always come in handy at some point in you life. Even the King should be prepared for that."

4. Characters in this post:
    Vinelle nodded her thanks to Adir as he set the mug in front of her, then raised it toward the robed man in a toast of thanks. "I'd offer my thanks personally, but I'm afraid I haven't gotten your name," she laughed. "But I am Vinelle, and I will not forget your generosity."

Taking a surprisingly delicate sip, she savored the sweet honey-taste on her tongue as Adir went on to ask about her recent doings. The one thing on her mind, naturally, was the outburst in the king's riding session. "Guards, no..." she pondered, taking another sip before setting the mug down. "I may have nearly given the commander his death, though." With a laugh, she shrugged innocently and spread her hands. "I may have offered my services as a riding tutor directly to the king. The poor man looked so bored riding around in circles, and I assume no one else dares attempt to show him anything more interesting for fear of it being 'dangerous'. But the commander was so put off by it that he sent me away on leave a whole day early." She smirked. "I suppose I should try that more often..."

5. Characters in this post:
    Adir chuckled at Vin's light teasing. His Tavern drew all kinds. It had gained quite the reputation over the past few years, but that was to be expected. He had done his best to create a homey atmosphere, and what could possibly put one more at home than fighting?

"It was a sight to see, but I'm sure that the details would bore you. Nothing more than a disagreement and a bit of blood. We were able to clean this old place up in no time."

With an elegant motion, Adir swept the two coins off of the bar and into his pocket, pulling out a new mug for the mead. The rush of business had him fearing a drought, but for now there was enough for at least one more glass. He filled it straight to the brim and placed it before Vin, spilling only one scant drop. "So how are you, my dear girl? Made any guards cry lately?"

6. Characters in this post:
    Ridley tilted his head slightly as the women asked her question. "Nothing really it just cuts the tension, and I have plenty of coin anyway. Really a small price to pay to make this a happier world." His grin was toothy upon saying this it seeming innocent enough if not a tad bit eerie.

Both fans gave him a pat on the back as they finished their drink. As they began to stand Ridley asked softly. "Still going to meet me where I told you tomorrow night? I'm sure you will really enjoy it." Both men nodded. "Don't worry boss we will be there, and thanks again."

"Don't mention it." With that both men left the tavern for home both already having had several drinks before Ridley bought them that last round. With both gone he took another sip of his water, while waiting to hear Adir's full explanation of the fight the night prior before he would speak again.

7. Characters in this post:
    "An exciting night?" Vinelle feigned surprise, her eyes widening dramatically. "Oh, Adir, honestly I'd be worried if a night in your tavern didn't see some kind of excitement." She grinned and settled into a barstool, propping her chin in her hand and apparently knowing the man well enough to gear up for a good tale. "Did anything get broken, this time? On a person or part of your equipment?"

Her probing was somewhat interrupted as she was surprised by the robed man's producing of coins for her drink. She sat up a little straighter, giving him a closer look. She wasn't unused to having her bar tabs paid for, but she usually had to coax it out of the patrons with a rousing or embarrassing story about training or fellow soldiers, or by promising not to sing...

"Your kindness is appreciated," she said honestly, trying not to look as suspicious as she felt. "And what's put you in such a good mood as to spoil good coin on others' drinks, dare I ask?" Sure, it was probably fairly rude to ask a benefactor their motives, but Vin had never claimed to be demure. And she maintained a crooked smile as she asked, hopefully indicating that rudeness wasn't the intention.

8. Characters in this post:
    "Thank you good barkeep." He happily took his clean drink and clanked it together with his new fans. The two men began to guzzle down their drinks as Ridley gently sipped at his. His eyes closing as he enjoyed the crisp drink cooling him down.

As Ridley's eyes slowly opened they caught the dark haired women sitting next to one of the two drinking men. He continued to smile. His hand reached into his robe pulling out two more coins. He leaned over and placed them down in front of her.

"I think she said sweet mead Adir." He recalled the name having been shouted by her as she walked in, so it was safe to assume it was the barkeep's. He also couldn't quite place it but this women looked slightly familiar.

9. Characters in this post:
    Adir smiled happily, taking joy in the joy of his patrons. Having such a generous man in the bar on occasion was good business - Soon others would be buying rounds for the house and extending favors to newly made friends. The Tavern could expect a long night of drinking ahead of it now.

"Of course, sir," Adir replied. He reached behind him to grab two fresh mugs and filled them from a nearby tap. He placed these in front of the two, now beaming, men at the bar. Adir then found an especially clean glass to fill high with ice and water. This is he gave to the young man with a grin and a wink.

"That was mighty kind of you, sir."

Trying not to ignore either patron, Adir leaned over the bar and turned to Vin with interest. "And hello to you! My, how long has it been since you've come in here? You missed a bit of excitement last night, you know."

10. Characters in this post:
    Much to the disapproval of her superiors, Vin had more or less frequented the Neckwood Tavern as soon as she was old enough to pull it off while she was in training in Helidor City. Now that she was afforded a break from duty, it only natural that it was the very first place she stopped. With her horse Deyishene tucked happily away in the nearby stable, Vin all but skipped her way into the Tavern. She'd gone without most of her armor for the trip, although her wardrobe still mostly consisted of leather -- dark supple leather leggings, sturdy boots, and the one piece of armor she kept were her bracers -- but she managed to end the hide trend with her cotton blouse and laced-up bodice. Although her fingers itched when they were out of reach of her bows, she was wise enough to leave them with Deyishene's tack and gear, but she did keep a dagger tucked in her belt.

"Adir!" Vinelle beamed as she weaved her way through the tables to approach the bar. She didn't know if he'd remember her, as he had so many people in and out of his establishment and she hadn't been back in awhile, but she was happy to see him anyway. Finding an open spot to the side of a bright-eyed man in an odd robe and his two fans, she leaned forward on the bar to grin again at Adir with a glint in her eye. "It's so good to see you! Could I pester you for some of your sweet mead? The King's wines are nothing compared to your drinks, good man."

11. Characters in this post:
    The beaming man had not even noticed the wait, for he had been picking up conversation with those around him. From them, he learned a little about the fight the night before. His smile lengthened slightly as he heard about the clergyman getting his face punched in, but not enough to be noticed.

He pulled out some more coin as the barkeep drew near. His attention turned to the elderly man his right hand raising making the two chatting men on either side of him quite down. "Oh good evening sir. My new friends here would each like a refill of their drinks. I'll just have mug of water myself, please." Ridley stacked the few coins into a little tower as he spoke. His blue eyes wide as ever as he looked at Adir.

As he finished speaking both men cheered thanking Ridley for his offer.

12. Characters in this post:
    Adir looked up and peered through his glasses. So many people were now entering the Tavern that it was difficult to make sure they were all being served. His busboys were doing a decent job, but it was obvious that many of the patrons were being ignored for far too long. One young man has been sitting at the bar patiently waiting for quite some time. He didn't seem to be upset about the service yet, but Adir was not prepared to take that chance.

Placing his cleaning rags back underneath the bar, he briskly walked over to the young man. "Would you like anything, sir?"

13. Characters in this post:
    King Seine sat upright on his silver dapple bay and watched the exchange, holding himself with the squared shoulders and regally blank expression of the king he was (in name, anyway).

He nodded at the commander's response, gave another brisk nod in Vinelle's direction and turned Strider and himself back to the ring as he urged his horse into more of a canter than the previous trot. Strider gave him a slightly startled snort, but did as directed.

Seine did his best to act the rest of the evening as if he gave no more thought to the incident. If no one else introduced him- or herself, or otherwise brought themselves to his attention, he'd return to the castle at the usual hour.

14. Characters in this post:
    The commander seemed caught off-guard by King Seine's reply, freezing in place as he was obviously torn between preventing a potential disaster and not wanting to appear to openly oppose the king's stated wishes. Vin hesitated as well, eying the commander in open amusement. He finally turned his gaze up to her in a heated glare before bowing to the king with his reply, "I will arrange for Archer Vinelle's lessons to be reviewed and approved for your benefit, my lord."

Vin grinned down at him as he turned back to her, the glare returning. To her he said in much quieter, much darker voice, "I believe you have a bit of leisure time approaching. It is my serious recommendation that you take that time immediately, before one of the king's advisers comes after your head."

"Of course, Commander. I'll gather my things at once."

Although she had the urge to turn back to the king with a friendly wave, she refrained due to concern for the commander's health. Instead, she clicked to Deyishene and urged him into an easy trot back toward the barracks. She had at least a week of freedom to spend in town, and she intended to make the best of it. Being a royal guard was certainly an honor, but spending so much time out in the secluded castle grounds could get very, very boring.

15. Characters in this post:
    Ellia quickly shut the door and locked it once again, carefully checking that all was well. She slipped the key back around her belt loop and rested her hand against it.

She watched as Mya slowly began walking away. The girl was obviously drained from the experience, questioning her father couldn't have been easy. But that was her duty and that had to be respected.

"If you see another guard coming down," Ellia started, slightly unsure of how to say goodbye. "Tell them, well, that they're late."

16. Characters in this post:
    Mya moved through the door quickly once Ellia had opened it. She was no longer smiling, and she was starting to feel a bit tired. Trying to talk to her father was draining; she only wanted information about the rebellion, and he wanted to talk "family". However... She hoped she wouldn't need to talk to him again, that this tavern would actually yield some results. Her superiors were getting impatient with her; her investigations had been slow moving of late.

"Thank you." Mya said to the guard, a half-hearted smile on her face. "I'll let you get back to work." Mya leant against the wall for a moment, then slowly turned to leave.

17. Characters in this post:
    Vinelle was completely correct. Seine was getting complacent with his skills. He rode better than the average person and his Strider had the patience of an intelligent uncle humoring his nephew's strange whims - which is to say, the good horse would do anything that he deemed reasonable, but certainly wasn't going to get up to anything foolish when he ought to be sleeping like a normal horse.

He was trying not to be obvious about watching Vinelle (or any of the others), but it follows that a horse archer in particular would notice. Especially when it was her duty to protect him. Seine was, however, surprised that she called to him.

The king flushed with embarrassment (something that showed up well on his so pale skin) at being called out on not pushing himself. He had to admit to himself that he wasn't, but he didn't manage to get rein on his own embarrassment until the horse archer had been called away.

Rather belatedly, he called after her in a clear and carrying voice - a voice that would have been wonderful for public speaking, if he'd ever done any of it. "When you return, I would be interested in hearing what 'new' thing you had in mind."

He didn't want the young woman to get into trouble and hoped that his invitation would keep her out of the worst of it with her commander. She hadn't sounded disrespectful.

Seine didn't generally like riding instructors, but he had the idea that she wouldn't discourage him from attempting something after a first set-back under the dismissive comment of, "Well, you probably shouldn't have been learning that anyway, Your Highness. It's dangerous."

18. Characters in this post:
    The conversation had been a bit dull by Ellia's standards. When rebels conversed, it usually contained a bit more scheming and threats. To eavesdrop on this family talk was just as bad as standing in silence throughout her shift. She had never even heard of that tavern before, despite its apparent importance in the rebel cause.

Ellia slowly unlocked the door, once again, and opened it up by just one inch. She looked inside to ensure that Mya was the only one coming out. The last thing she needed was for a prisoner to force his way through the exit.

When she saw the girl standing ready, Ellia stepped back slightly and opened the door enough for Mya to step through. "Quick, I need to lock it back up again," she whispered.

19. Characters in this post:
    Vin watched the king through his warm up with the eye of an experienced rider. She'd pushed herself to many limits learning unique ways to maneuver with and about a horse. The thing she recognized in the king's routine was that he seemed to have simply developed an easy habit or pattern... there was no pushing.

Many times in Vin's life she'd had the thought, "Really, I should know better," but rarely had it actually stopped her. For instance, just about in the middle of her training days, before she was a fully-fledged archer, she'd decided that she wouldn't have her assignment anymore, and had simply up and left the training grounds on an arguably "stolen" mare. She had wanted to go home and see her family again, but she didn't get far. Chased down in the middle of the night when someone had finally noticed her missing from her bed, Vinelle was dragged back to the grounds in a sullen fury, and was sat down for a stern talking-to. Knowing now some of the punishments others had faced at less severe offenses, she was aware she'd come out of the ordeal extremely lucky.

This was quickly becoming one of those "know better" times, as she chewed thoughtfully on one lip, watching the king watching her and wondering what had drawn his particular curiosity this night. She also was surprised to find she felt a bit sorry for him -- he may be a spoiled king hiding away in his riches and luxury, but he looked terribly lonely out there in the big arena, with no companion to challenge his riding skills.

As his circling brought him back toward her direction, Vin finally couldn't help it. "You're a fine rider, my lord," she called, her voice respectful but without hesitation or fear, "But you don't push yourself. Would you care to learn something new?"

From the door of the arena, the unmistakable voice of her commander sounded, snapping her name loudly. "VINELLE. Outside, now!" She could hear him muttering all the way from the door as he stormed over, apparently prepared to drag her and Deyishene out of the arena by the bridle if he had to.

With a sigh and a perhaps childish roll of the eyes, Vin nudged Deyishene around by herself and urged him in a lazy walk towards the door. "Yes, sir. Apologies, sir," she responded halfheartedly, but obeyed nonetheless.

20. Characters in this post:
    The door to the tavern slowly slide open, and as it did a tall hooded and robbed figure slipped under the top of the frame into the bustling bar. He pulled his hood back as he moved past the many people being careful not to bump into anyone. He took a seat at one of the only empty stools.

Ridley had a beaming smile on his face as usual, and after he positioned himself comfortably, he did a childish spin the head of the chair rotating him one time. "Ah. Good seat." He murmured to himself. His antics granted him queer looks from those sitting on either side of him.

The man gave his neatly trimmed golden goatee a scratch before he reached into one of the pockets of his robes. He pulled out two coins and placed them on the bar. Meanwhile his bare feet started playing with the loose rungs of his chair making a soft squeaking sound.