Login to your account

Ardent

Thought to be able to fuel an empire and advance a civilization decades, the Shift Particle is the most sought-after treasure of it's time. Two years ago, the crew of The Ardent took on this job only to meet near destruction at the hands of a rival. Now, they try again.......

Tags: adventure, airship, custom setting, elves, epic, fantasy, freeform, group, magic, pirates, steampunk

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Advanced

New Players: Open

Creator: Eden

Created: 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
  1. Characters in this post:
    The elf scowled into the iced wind, lifting a hand to shield her eyes from it's bite. She was still stinging from the incident with Thana, and the lack of attention from anyone she wanted it from. With her free hand she tucked another cocoa treat between her lips, slipping it between her tongue and the roof of her mouth and finally letting out the smallest of pleased sighs.

Mountains were rising in the distance, and she spied her friend rising from the depths of the ship and heading for the pilot's sheet. Cas glanced over towards Thana, then her captain and Barasa, before practically hopping on over to Deryn, box of chocolates in hand.

She plops one in her mouth, eyes on the littlest of pilots. "Not going to get us killed, are you?"

2. Characters in this post:
    "Bloody hell." Her voice emerged along with her silhouette amongst the raging weather that was blowing about topside. She held her arm up to try and shield the snow from her vision, walking slowly across the slippery boards toward her station. Taking her binocular device she held it to her eyes to see a better view of what the ship was approaching.

She had initially wanted to be in station before they even began to approach these mountains to calculate a route more leisurely but unfortunately the distracting old man and her baking seemed to pull her away from her duties. Unfolding her map she pinned it to the boards and examined it further, her eyes going from the paper to the masses of frosty land approaching her. It seemed that they could in fact fit The Ardent through them, but just barely.

In all honestly, she should have been maneuvering the ship for it's entrance ten minutes ago but there was nothing she could do about that now. Calling out orders to the men assisting her she took a tight grip of the wheel that was proving to be quite a strain on her small muscles, and guided the ship toward the looming silhouettes that were now casting shadows upon the ship.

3. Characters in this post:
    The sudden jerk of the ship sent her against the counter with a loud grunt. Looking toward the window the guide was reaching for she saw the change of weather swirl in through the open slats. It seemed that she would have to wait to get the answers she wanted.

He was such a mysterious man, stirring up questions and unexplainable intrigue inside her body. She would have to inquire others about who this man really was. Staring into his almost abyss like eyes behind sluggishly dropping eyelids she paused before nodding a farewell in his direction, heading for topside.

4. Characters in this post:
    The old man shrugged his shoulders as the hull of the ship began to sway more sharply and rather unevenly with the wintry gusts of wind pushing the ship closer to the mountains. A nearby window, not latched well enough, swung open and met the inside of the ship with a slam.

The guide was smiling, just a little bit, when he looked to the opened window and walked over to reset the latch. "Maybe another time, then. Seems gusty, you best get up there, lady pilot," he said with a crinkle of his eyes and a little jester's salute, opening the door and heading into the hallway, towards the deck himself.

5. Characters in this post:
    What kind of response was that? Deryn thought to herself, furrowing her eyebrows toward the old man. “What is that supposed to mean?” She growled, picking up the dirtied bowls and throwing them in the sink. In a way, it was just a method to make a smashing sound without seeming like she was downright offended. Her eyes came to the sink as she ran the warm water and grumbled at her hands.

“Well how did you know her then?” She thought it was best to just bite her tongue any more on his prior response and focus on getting the straight answers she really wanted. It wasn’t long before the whole kitchen was now filled up with the sweet smell of the baking bread in the oven.

Motioning for the salivating old man to back up a few steps so she could open the oven, she waved and waited for him to move back before pulling the risen bread from the heat. The top was crisp and caramelized. Just to check, she stuck a knife into the Gypsy bread, causing steam to spill out into the air, inside was just right, puffy and moist.

Cas will be pleased, she thought. Hopefully she would be able to have enough to bring to her friend if this man doesn’t devour the whole thing.

6. Characters in this post:
    A strong wind blows in the first of the northernly snows, the grand mountains becoming less a thing of the distance and instead beginning to tower over the ship, piercing the skies themselves. It's difficult to tell through the growing amount of snow being blown across the ship, but a faint crack can be seen in the distant mountains: someone with a good eye could tell that a ship should be able to fit through them. In any case, the pilots seem to know to head for it. But the wind and the beginnings of hail within the next hour or two suggest that all pilots should be at the ready.

7. Characters in this post:
    Thana seems moderately satisfied with the elf's response. She had expected to be threatened in kind...elves would be elves after all. She watched the short little thing meander off with her candy tucked away. Behind the dark skinned woman, Abida mouths the word "Sorry" to the elf, making a face and shrugging behind the back of her mother- as if she too doesn't understand the big deal.

Rubbing a long finger between her eyebrows, Thana turns her attention back to her child. She stares at the girl for a long moment as she tries to rub out the knot between her brows. Inhaling she closes her eyes. As she exhales, she opens her eyes again, looking down at her girl and the prize she holds. She holds out a hand, moving her fingers slightly, lifting her brow and nodding her nose toward the candy.

Abida's lower lip juts outward briefly as she deposits the bag into her mother's hand. She looks down at the ground, waiting for her chastisement.

Thana places the bag into her messenger bag, closing it on the treats. She places her hand on the girl's shoulder, causing her to look up again. "I am disappointed in you. Go to our room and think about what you've done. When you can figure out why I am angry, I will think about giving you back your candy."

Abida looks at her mother, confused. She presses her little lips together and wrinkles her nose. "Fine. I didn't want any candy anyway!" She turns and runs off to the room in a spat. Thana watches her go and looks around at the rest of the people topside. The knot between her brows creases again and she brings her hand back to it, rubbing at it idly. She could not wait for this job to be over. If the money wasn't so good...

8. Characters in this post:
    Sniff. Damn him, whatever she was cooking smelled good. Nostrils stayed flared, eyes on the oven, flicking his gaze up unsurprised at her nod. Hand reaching behind him to scratch lazily at his lower back, the old man could only give her a toothy--surprisingly so, for his age--grin.

You know my mother. "Who doesn't?" he countered, insinuation shot at random. Well, he hadn't pressed anyone's buttons for a while. Couldn't blame him for scratching that itch once in a while.

9. Characters in this post:
    At first, the elf only half-listened, her attention split between the sweet-things scattered in the box on her lap and the annoyed woman towering over her. A thwap regained her attention momentarily, however, and brought Cas' eyes straight back up to Thana with a small, annoyed frown as she listened.

The medic's words took a hard left turn after she'd paused, veering into dangerous territory. Cas' jaw tightened, her hand lowering to set her current candy back into its paper-wrapping place. Her hand moved automatically towards the revolver at her side, unclasping the leather over the handle and placing her small hand on its hilt. But as Thana's threat wound its way on, Cas' eyes found themselves wandering in the direction of Fortinbras and Barasa speaking higher up and across the deck. Hesitation found it's mark.

Lifting her chin first before straightening her legs to lift herself, the elf tucked the box of candies under her left arm. Letting her right hand rest on the handle of the revolver a few more moments--only to make a point, she assured herself--she then let it slide off and dangle.

"I can't fathom any of you, but fine. Threaten me again, though? Do it out of the captain's sight," she hissed as her neck's muscles tightened and thin hands flexed. Ill-earned prize tucked under her arm, she began to head off in the direction of either the kitchens or the scholar--wasn't quite sure which, but both were calling to her at the moment.

10. Characters in this post:
    The concentrated worry on her face was burrowing wrinkles into her skin, her mind still unable to make such a weighty decision.

"Lilly Langdon's girl, ay'?"

Goosebumps rose all about her skin, getting the eerie feeling that only was reminiscent of encountering a ghostly shadow. Taking in a quick inhale and turning her face toward the hunched figure she held in her breath. It figures that the one time she manages to be virtually alone on this ship, this man would find her.

Perhaps it was her own fault, for the sweet smelling odor pouring from the oven was her doing, and he seem quite pleased with it.But, wait... Snapping to her senses she finally realized what he had just said.

"You know... my mother?" Her tongue pressed against the corner of her darkly painted lips as her brows arched into an inquisitive angle. When he spoke of partaking in a slice of her baking loaf of gypsy bread it bothered her, the bread was to be a gift broken between her and Cas. But... for some reason, she could only nod in agreement to what sounded to her like an order from the old man. This was surely unsettling, the way his presence brought her to bite at her tongue.

She held onto the counter as he peered toward the oven, Deryn was still very eager to hear how he knew of her mother, Lilly. Who are you...?

11. The content of this post is hidden because you do not have a key for "The Other Side - South"!

12. Characters in this post:
    "Lilly Langdon's girl, ay'?"

The voice was accompanied by the faint smell of alchohol--perhaps wine, perhaps ale, perhaps both--and the easily forgotten presence of the old man who so often haunted this fine ship. A withered hand crossed over his torso and scratched the whiskers beneath his chin, dark eyes on the elf.

He gave her a friendly, half-steady smile. Nostrils flaring, the old guide closed his eyes, clasped his hands behind his back and leaned forward to sniff at what she was cooking.

"You'll be giving me one of those when you're finished with whatever it is you're making, methinks."

13. The content of this post is hidden because you do not have a key for "The Other Side - South"!

14. Characters in this post:
    With a resounding THWAP, Thana's baton smacked on her thigh as she narrowed her eyes at the elf. Thana glared down at the elf, unsure what to say. A string of curses danced in her mouth, a tirade prowled around her brain, a rant of epic proportions clawed at her innards- all of these things vied for position at the front of the race to make their way out.

The medic closed her eyes, her jaw working slowly. Behind her, Abida stood, obviously recalcitrant and fully aware of the trouble she was in. In front of her, the elf simply seemed confused. Was the cocoa eating elf oblivious to social graces- a sociopath? Was the elf stupid or just clueless? Thana couldn't tell. She was leaning toward the idea that the elf was a bit dim.

Swallowing, she opened her eyes, letting her jaw loosen slightly. "Cas... it is Cas right?" she held up her baton, cutting off anything the elf might say in response to her rhetorical question. "Abida is a child and I am her mother. You do not take her anywhere without my express permission. No...you will not take my daughter anywhere, ever again. If something were to happen to her, I need to know who I need to hold responsible." She pauses, kneeling down to look at the elf on eye level, her dark eyes serious, "And by responsible, I mean the person I will have to show the pain of a thousand suns burning off their flesh. This is the second time you have done something that anyone with a shred of decency and understanding would know better than to do. I am going to assume for now, that I did not make things clear before, so I am going to do it now. If you do anything, ever again, that causes any sort of pain or trouble for my daughter or something that makes it so she could be put in a position where such things could happen to her, I will wait until the ship is aloft and then dangle you over the edge by your toes while I cut them off one by one and you eventually plummet to your doom."

Thana looks at Cas, her baton resting on her knee. She takes a breath, "Do I make myself clear?" She looks at the pile of sweets in the elf's lap, then back up to her eyes.

15. Characters in this post:
    The elf was busy licking two of her lanky fingers free of the caramel she'd squeezed from her last candy when the shadow of Thana slunk over her lap. She paused and looked at the shadow for just a moment before starting to look up, musing out loud where the sun had gone to.

"...oh," puffed her surprise as she looked up at the unhappy-looking medic. The left side of her lip twisted with her own displeasure. "I...thought it would work?"

Her hand rose mostly of it's own accord to scratch the back of her neck, a small measure of discomfort rising in the elf. She wasn't sure what it was exactly she'd done that had earned the medic's annoyance, but it was clear she'd committed a...faux pas, of some sort. Her line of work--the line of work she'd been since the day she'd left the manor--didn't really lend itself to much time alongside parents and their children. It was beginning for show.

16. Characters in this post:
    Abida finished her song and dance and followed Cas into the shop with her own coins. She watched as the elf bought a plethora of sweets from the shop, then proceeded to buy what she could with her own; lemon drops, chocolate covered nuts, and her mother's favorite- cinnamon candies.

"That was fun! We should do it again at the next port!" the girl twittered as she and the elf brought their booty back to the ship. She pranced merrily through the street and along the wooden boards of the dock, a wide, childish grin on her face. She was so caught up in her haul of lovely candies and chocolates, that she didn't notice the scowl on her mother's face.

The girl's smile dropped onto the deck as she set foot topside, Thana standing at the entrance, her baton in her hand and a stormy look on her face. Taking a small step closer to the elf, the girl grimaced, knowing that look. That angry, angry look on her mother's face. She squeezed the bags of treats closer to her chest, "Uh...oh..." escaping as a moan from her lips.

Thana smacked her baton against her thigh, the dull slap of the weapon against her leather pants loud but not actually painful. Narrowing her eyes at her daughter, she took a small step to the side, pointing her nose to indicate where she wanted the girl to stand.

"I...uh... got you some cinnamon candy...?" the small voice offered as if trying to diffuse the obvious anger of the woman who glowered at her. A sharp glare from the dark skinned woman snapped the girl's mouth shut. She knew with one look that she was in trouble and there would be a lecture and possibly a paddling later.

Thana turned her attention to the elf who held her chocolate like it was ambrosia, "And what made you think it was a good idea to make off with my daughter without telling me?"

17. Characters in this post:
    The elf was so caught up in her little game, slipping fingers this way and that in people's pockets as the child danced and sang before them, that she almost didn't hear the little bell on the ship begin to ring. A few of the crew were slowly filtering back in, and she could tell they didn't have all that much time before the ship'd be ready to start off again. Though whether or not they'd leave without Cas and the kiddo, she wasn't sure.

"Alright, enough of that," she muttered, adjusting her trappings so that there was once again a lack of emphasis on their bust.

She hurried off--whether or not the kid followed her, she didn't care all that much--into one of the nearby sweets shops and after a rather rushed sale in which threats of violence may or may not have been used, she was skittering back onto the deck of the ship, arms all full of paper-wrapped pastry and candy parcels. Cas even let the kid carry one, if she was around and wanted.

Chocolate: it was always the chocolate, for whatever little emotional need it satisfied for her. She lowered herself and all her ill-earned parcels and shopping bags onto the deck, sitting back against the wooden edge of the ship as it lifted off into the sky once more. Legs splayed out, steel toes of her boots pointing up, she smiled to herself as she began unwrapping the things, entirely forgetting--for now, at least--the little girl who'd made the sweets possible.

Cas plucked a little chocolate from one of the boxes and placed it on her tongue, closing her eyes and mouth and leaning her head back with a growing grin. She had a certain scholar to try to ignore, after all.

18. Characters in this post:
    While at port, Deryn had managed to buy up a few supplies in secret. She had a few coins on hand, and purchased ingredients that the ships kitchen lacked. One of the main ingredients being cinnamon. But to be quite honest, cinnamon wasn't exactly something that would be used often on a ship.

Anyhow, after she had guided the ship in it's proper direction and spent a bit of time writing out the proper course for her ship hand to follow she slunk away into the kitchen through the dining room. It wasn't meal time, so the kitchen was virtually empty. It would have been an odd sight to see if anyone had walked on.

Deryn had been mixing and rolling the dough for one of her favorite childhood delights, gypsy bread. Oddly enough, the whole ordeal turned out to take much longer than she had remembered as a child, but to be honest she hadn't tried her hand in the culinary arts in some time. Flour had seemed to make it's way all over the elf in the process. Once placing the dough in its vessel and slipping it into the oven she stared into the glowing metal box and drew her hand to her chin, pondering how long the estimated time of completion would be.

She didn't realize that flour still covered her fingers, and managed to give herself a comical white powder goatee. Already the kitchen was alive with the sweet smell of sugary, cinnamon delight which that itself was sending her into a delighted state of nostalgia. Thinking back to the days that truthfully were not too far from the present day but the changes have made her childhood at home grow foggier and foggier. A slight smile crept onto her face as she reminisced about her dear friend and the others they played with, but that smile shortly faded as she remembered all the negativity that now followed her friends name. Those mixed and painful feelings the elf had been trying to bury since they step foot on the ship were managing to make their way back to the surface, pulling at her heart and mind. "What am I going to do...?"

19. Characters in this post:
    The ship returns to the air, and begins to head further northwest, drawing ever closer to the vast expanse of mountains. In the distance, pockets of snow can be seen.

20. The content of this post is hidden because you do not have a key for "The Other Side - South"!