Login to your account

Seer Sight

As the land of Atamor shivers in the grip of an abnormal winter, people starve in their homes and a rogue seer vanishes into the snow with the blood of the high king on his hands. The seer must die, but first he must be found.......

Tags: adventure, bounty, fantasy, hunt, magic, nordic, rogue, seer, winter

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Open

Creator: enkerzed

Created: 12-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
Place:       Character:

Game Log

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 31 to 60 of 94

Thread: Seer Sight

1. Characters in this post:
    "Let's go then," Vala replied. "I'm used to travel."

Though certainly not with a Golden Eagle riding on her shoulder. Even so, her legs were strong and she had been well fed, and well rested in the city.

It was easy to tell which way was north, Vala only had to be facing directly away from the city. What she wondered was why her son would choose to flee in this direction when he could have gone to some distant land over the sea.

Vala could not fathom his motives, even as his mother. All she could think was that it might have had something to do with the sight and, for as many times as she had already done so already, she again cursed the very existence of the ability.

What foolishness such powers can cause, she thought bitterly as she trudged through the snow, using her walking staff for support.

"The killer is my son," Vala said after a while. "I thought you should know since you are helping me to look for him.

I think he might have been the one to divert you away from the city. He'd be clever enough to do that. Where was it that you were sent?"

~~~

Ashnak could see that Cirian was deeply unhappy about the king's death and chose not to broach the subject again. Of course it would have been better to die protecting one's master or friend, or both as Jorgen was to Ashnak, and the elf did not need telling that living was the harder test for a warrior.

"As I said before, I suspect Uldric," the orc replied. "But some others might be Jarls Golvar and Ericsson. Both are at odds with each other and each would die before seeing the other on the throne, though whether either of them have any desire to be king at all is yet to be known. Let us hope neither do."

Following Cirian out of the stables, Ashnak stood with the elf for a while and said, "Hey, while we wait for Arnolf to return, how about we grab a bottle of mead and drink to Jorgen's memory? I must confess, I've done that a lot of late, but this time I'll have someone else who knew him to drink with. What do you say?"

2. Characters in this post:
    "As you wish." Nimbus did not hinder Vala as the woman began her walk. Even as she was perched, Nim kept her eagle eyes on the surrounding forest. Any sound or movement could be ill fortune. It was quiet until Vala spoke, mentioning her son.

Nimbus had to admit that sometimes things didn't register for her like it normally does for people. The detail of Vala's son being the killer was hard to grasp for beasts like her, whose blood-kin were sort of bound to the graces first placed in their species from their ancestry. It was, in a way, strange to think a son would act in this way, contrary to their parents will.

"Being an Eagle, of my descent, it is truly odd that you have a son that would kill like that, especially if you are not someone who would murder a good King. If all is as it seems, I mean." Nimbus said. "But yes, I was told in the letter that your son is the Killer. I am sorry, you must be upset about that." She offered her apology, then added onto answer her. "I was sent to do a mundane job. A simple delivery of a scroll early in the morning. Hardly a big deal, but it was a order that took me far from the King."

A curious thing, Nim wondered what Vala was feeling. It's obvious to her she should feel awful, but, as it meant something different to Nimbus' kind, she still wondered how it was for Vala's species. Though, it might not be the best subject to touch on.

"What are you hoping for, when you find him? If you find him?" She asked. "What if we are not the ones who catch him first?"

=

"Mead would be fine." Cirian ran a hand through his hair. "When dawn breaks I will have no chance for drinking with you anyway. Might as well have my time with you now before I'm not avaliable." As they turned to a different tavern besides the one Cirian had left, he had something to say about that last word of his.

"By the by, keep an eye on him Ashnak." He grumbled gently, shaking his head. "Truly, he is a young man with his head in the clouds more often than is healthy for a man." Cirian was careful not to mention this ones name, or speak about where this one was coming or going from. All so secret.

3. Characters in this post:
    "I don't know," Vala replied. "It's hard to say. All I'm hoping for is that when the time comes, I'll have the strength to do what must be done."

Being a woman of few words, Vala left it at that and walked on in silence, wondering not for the first time how she and her son would meet, face to face and possibly blade to blade.

How might such a confrontation end between them? Vala's sight had not shown her yet and she wondered if she might falter at some crucial moment. Feared it more than anything.

My son, my responsibility, those were her words to Cirian and her fellow seers before leaving the north, but thinking of them now made her feel so small in the wintry landscape.

Where could he be and what might he be thinking right now? she thought.

After a few hours of travelling, Vala was finally beginning to tire and feel the need for sleep. "Let's make camp here," she said as she picked out a spot under a large tree with broad branches and leaves. Dropping her pack, she began looking around for firewood.

~~~

"What?" Ashnak replied, bewildered for a moment until he realized what Cirian was talking about. "Oh! Sometimes I forget about your, hm, situation. Very well, let's get our drink then get out before speaking anymore on it. Wouldn't want Arnolf to come back and wonder where we might have gone now, though I suppose he could make a good guess."

Chuckling, he drew two coins out of his belt pouch, laid them on the counter and took two tankards of mead that the bartender was quick to exchange.

"Good service!" Ashnak noted with a grin as he gave Cirian a tankard and left the tavern. Soon afterwards though, his air of melancholy returned as he said, "So, has there been any progress on your problem? I can't imagine your duties have ever left much time for that, but surely you've looked into it."

4. Characters in this post:
    Stopping to make a fire for camp wasn't something Nimbus did. That was a human task. "I'll hunt and scout." She told Vala, and with a flutter of wings, she took off. The ground became smaller until the land around her looked like a map sculpted from stone by skilled hands. Her blue Eagle eyes combed the world below. There was Vala next to the tiny light she made. She could see beasts here and there. A few deers slipping through the trees caught her attention.

Nimbus took a last glance to check for people. There were two men leading a wagon covered by a tarp. They weren't a big deal, somewhat ahead anyway. One other slow traveler coming down, but that was about it. It felt safe enough.

Taking a dive, Nimbus maneuvered in the air to compensate the dodge of the deer she pounced on. It raced through the trees, but Nimbus followed closely after it. Soon the deers stamina gave out and Nimbus rushed it. Her Ebony claws released by a spring she clicked with her nails. It dug into the spine of the deer and clipped right through the bone. Perfect kill. Nimbus picked up the deer, feeling her body warm. She coughed a bit as she went into the air.

Gliding back to Vala, she dropped the animal beside her. "I've brought dinner." She told her, perching next to it. Nim liked raw meat better, tearing into the eye to get to the brains of the deer. "There isn't much around us." She explained what she saw. "We should sleep safely."

As she pecked at her food, Nimbus asked Vala. "Where were you born?"

=

"Good service? It's ok I guess." Cirian sipped his mead before he answered Ashnak. "Well, we've looked, but progress has gone nowhere. We barely know the origin of this- thing. It's hard to get a grasp on a cure. If there is a cure. He's always optimistic, but, can't be too careful, you know?" He said.

Cirian tilted his head in thought. "You ever think that, maybe, a Seer could help my situation?"

5. Characters in this post:
    "In the north," Vala replied.

That was not strictly speaking true, but ever since she was banished to the frozen wilderness for having the seer sight, she considered that moment to be the day she was truly born. Everything before then may as well have been a dream.

Even so, considering what the eagle could do to the deer, there was no cause to be curt.

"I lived in a small village," Vala continued. "You won't find it on a map but we called it Elkwood. There was always enough animals for us to hunt throughout the seasons and I was the best hunter, but compared to you, I suppose that's not saying much."

After seeing that the fire was well ablaze, Vala went to the deer carcass and started carving off some meat with her knife.

"This will be too much to carry, we'll have to leave the rest for the wolves," she said as she took a haunch to the fire and cooked it.

~~~

Ashnak grimaced at Cirian's question and replied, "Seers can see what might happen in the future, but they won't necessarily know how. In any case, why would you seek help from one of their kind? Wasn't Jorgen's killer a seer?"

Taking a swig from his cup, Ashnak wiped his mouth and continued, "Besides, when you live in the north, you know it's best to not bother them anyway."

6. Characters in this post:
    Tearing out more meat, Nimbus sucked it down her gullet as she listened to Vala. The Eagle was a large bird, so she ate more than you would normally find a creature like her consume. The whole head of the deer was picked apart during their conversation. Eyes were eaten, most of the brain, and the muscle in the face and tongue were torn too.

"You flatter me." Nim spoke softly. She was an average hunter is her mind, but she can accept a compliment. The news of her village was pleasant to hear. "I did not live in a village. I was born in a forest far from this place. Cirian and Naris found me on the edge of the road. My home had been caught in a wild fire. My family didn't make it." Nimbus began cleaning her claws and battle-claws. "They raised me and I owe my life to them."

As she did, it was more to avoid eye contact, since she didn't like that story so much, but Nim felt she had to offer something in return. Vala had told her where she came from, so it was only natural.

"Where is your family?" Nimbus asked, looking back now that her claws were clean. "Does the father know of your son?"

=

"Some can see the past though, right?" Cirian asked, taking another sip of his drink, before he answered his friend. "Not everything is as it seems, Ashnak. We of all people should know that." Cirian had meant himself, and one other, but not Ashnak per se. Though it could have included Ashnak as well, and it kind of did, but his Orc friend knew what he really meant. "Some can say the same things about my kind. 'Full of guile' as Hrortir had said. 'Treacherous', he called me. But we know the truth. We must give people a chance...though this could be an influence from him, I would agree."

Yes, 'him'. The mysterious person in question seemed to have some sway with Cirian, enough that he agreed to give Seers a chance. Even after what happened.

7. Characters in this post:
    "You and Cirian must have great trust in each other," Vala replied as she peeled some fur off the meat and threw it into the flames.

Looking into the crackling fire and feeling its warmth, Vala thought back to better days when she was merely a hunter for her village and then a mother, teaching her son everything a child should be taught. How he had grown so strong and proud.

How has it come to this? Vala wondered as she gazed at the runes on her dagger before using it to carve some meat off the haunch.

"I have no family," she continued after eating her fill. "They are dead for all I know and I am dead for all they know. It is the same for my son. He was banished like me for having the sight and just as I was found by those who would adopt me as their own, so too did I adopt the child. I loved him so much..."

As if on cue, a bitter wind blew through the fire and almost extinguished it entirely. Vala stood up to protect the flames and fed in a handful of sticks when the wind eventually died down.

"It's getting cold," she said. "I will sleep now."

Leaving the meat by the fire, Vala laid out a bedroll and tucked herself into its covers, closing her eyes to rest.

~~~

"And Jorgen would have also agreed," Ashnak replied as he gazed up at the stars and raised his cup to them. "May he drink with the gods."

After taking a deep draught, the orc let out a mighty sigh and then poured the rest of his mead onto the ground.

"A taste of home for you, my friend."

At that moment, Arnolf returned and said, "There is a house ready to host us."

"Good," Ashnak replied as he clapped Cirian on the shoulder. "Let's go and get out of this damn snow then. I'm just about ready to sleep on my feet."

8. Characters in this post:
    The Golden Eagle, perched on her branch as she peered over the fire below, watching Vala and keeping alert, pondered a few thoughts. It was what Vala had said about trust. Yes, she had great trust now, but she lowered her eyes with a memory of how she had been growing up. "Trust doesn't come easy." She whispered to the winds that blew against her brown and gold feathers.

Through the night, Nim was half awake and half asleep. Two times she woke fully to investigate a sound or a movement. Here and there she would pay some attention to the fire.

When dawn broke, her attention was to the horizon. It's brilliant mix of reds, golds, and bright fire like yellow reflected in her azure orbs. More than just the scene of the dawn had entered her mind.

"Another day." She said, swooping to the ground. It had been cold enough to keep the meat fine for the next day. Nimbus ate with Vala a short breakfast. After that, they dragged the carcass to the side for the wolves to eat. The fire was burnt out, the smoke dissipating slowly.

Nimbus and Vala walked for a little, until Nimbus decided to fly and check ahead. She saw the wagon from last night up ahead. The traveler was no where to be seen, but maybe that was to be expected. Flying down, Nim perched on Vala's shoulder.

"Near a half mile ahead is a covered wagon with a few men." She said. "You can't tell by sight what is in a persons mind. Be wary." Then she added. "Well, I dont' know if that applies one with Seer sight." Out of curiosity Nimbus asked "How does it work exactly?"

=

Taking a last sip, Cirian toasted the stars with his mug and poured out the rest of his ale onto the ground for Jorgen. Giving the tankards back to the Barkeep, the two made their way to a house fit for a Jarl.

"Good night." the elf said, then walked downward, taking a room down the hall.

At the rise of the sun, when the first rays washed across the land, it was moments later when Ashnak heard knocking at his door.

"The day is waning, my friend! The first beer of the morning will not wait forever."

9. Characters in this post:
    Vala didn't hear what the eagle had said at first, for her eyes were on the horizon where the sun began its vivid ascent in the sky. With all its colours like different hues of a warm flame, it almost looked like spring. Even the snow didn't look so cold in the dawn's light.

When Nimbus mentioned the seer sight, that caught Vala's attention immediately and she frowned at the eagle's question as she replied, "It's hard to explain. I see what the gods allow me to see and sometimes it is hard to distinguish them from idle dreams. The only way for me to tell is with this."

Vala stopped walking for a moment as she drew her dagger and showed it to Nimbus, turning it this way and that to display the runes etched into the blade.

"This keeps me bound to the present so that I do not become lost in the future. Not all of my kind have the same totem, I simply find it convenient to make my dagger into one since I use it a lot."

Sheathing the blade, Vala walked on with her staff in both hands, climbing up a hill now.

"I know you're only here because of Cirian," she said, thinking about last night. "But for some reason, I find it easy to talk to you about things I normally wouldn't share with anyone else. I am hoping that we may become friends over time."

~~~

"Hngh, HUH, what?" Ashnak woke with a start when he heard the knocking at the door. "Who is it, what do you want?"

Getting out of bed, the orc hastily pulled on a pair of roughspun pants, leaving the rest of his mountainous torso bare, and opened the door with an irritated snarl.

His expression changed when he recognized who it was and said, "Oh, it's you. Hm, it's a bit early for a drink, isn't it? And..."

Looking out the window then back to the elf, Ashnak continued, "The day is hardly waning, it's barely even dawn... Well no matter, we might as well have some breakfast now that we're awake."

Walking out of the hall and into the common area, Ashnak saw the remains of last night's dinner next to the hearth and some empty mead bottles here and there.

"I hope that's not all mine," Ashnak murmured as he rubbed his eyes and then stopped for a moment as he looked around in confusion. "Wait, where are we?"

10. Characters in this post:
    It was not clear to Nimbus why a village would exile Seers, it was on her mind to ask as Vala spoke, but she kept silence and waited her turn. When it was time for her turn, as much as she wanted to ask about her curiosity, and also how one makes an item their totem, she gave Vala an Eagle smile.

“I wouldn’t mind counting you among my allies. Especially if Cirian thought so well of you in the letter.” She said. “What was your sons name? It didn’t mention that.”

~~~

“Ash, my friend, if you can remember what happened the night before, you didn’t have a good time.” Naris smiled wide, with a glint in his eye, heartily patting his shoulder. A jovial chuckle releasing from his throat. “We’re at a fancy looking house, it seems. One my- well, the ‘Grumpy’ man would probably not see the use for. You know how simple he can be with stuff.”

Naris walked into Ashnaks room, fitting right like it was his home. “So, the moot. When’s that exactly? Also, that Vala lady was pretty eh? Heh, I’d be too shy to talk to her though. OH, that reminds me, who are we seeing today? Anyone?”

11. Characters in this post:
    "Rorik," Vala answered reluctantly. It pained her to utter her son's name out loud, considering why she was looking for him. "No doubt he goes by a different name now, if any, but that was the name he was born with."

Looking towards the rising sun as she crested the hill, she continued in an almost wistful manner, "He had the fairest hair and eyes like sapphires. I always knew he'd grow up to be a fine, strong man. He was like that before leaving the village... perhaps he still is."

Walking down the other side of the hill now, Vala saw the wagon and men Nimbus had mentioned. She tensed herself as one of them approached and stood in the way, but said nothing. The others moved to join him. There were three of them.

"What do you want?" Vala said, warily tightening her grip on her staff.

The man still didn't respond. He only looked at Vala and then at Nimbus with a gauging stare. After a while, he turned back to his companions and shook his head, then all three of them returned to their wagon.

Walking on until she was past them, Vala said to Nimbus, "I wonder what that was about."

~~~

"Not a good time?" Ashnak repeated as he tried to remember last night... and then he did. "Oh no, that's right... I was in one of my moods."

That was putting it lightly. It began with Ashnak sitting by the hearth with his men and the owner of the house, reminiscing about Jorgen and their past adventures.

With each bottle of mead, Ashnak's hatred of the king's killer was brought closer and closer to the surface until, after the sixth or seventh bottle, it erupted like a volcano.

From there, he was ranting and raving, vigorously describing the methods he'd use to torture and kill the assassin, each more draconian than the last. It went on for some time before Ashnak finally passed out from drinking too much.

To answer the elf's questions, he replied, "The moot should be half a month from now and I'd like to spend today talking to my allies in the city. I'd like to know their thoughts on some of the matters we discussed last night. You're welcome to come with me if you want."

12. Characters in this post:
    Walking on until she was past them, Vala said to Nimbus, “I wonder what that was about.”

“Well, did you notice their wagon?” Nim asked. “Take another look.”

The wagon the men had with them was like a traveling merchant shop. It's odds and ends hug off the sides, things of various kinds filled the nooks and crannies. Carpet rolls, fancy dresses tucked into drawers. Pots clanked the sides, rods of iron stuffed in barrels. A familiar staff stuck into the side, one that Nimbus recognized. Lanterns of different qualities chained to poles swung from side to side. The wagon itself was beyond what a few men like them could afford from a days wage. But Nimbus knew these men weren't interested in an honest living.

They say never judge a book by it’s cover, but people forget that there is usually a summary on the back to give you a clue. Just like their wagon, the men looked mismatched and out of sync with what you might expect from a steady working merchant. Anyone would carry weapons, but the rest was still off. Quietly judging them by sight, Nimbus named them all.

‘Budgy’ was the man who had a rounded build like a massive boulder. His hair was long, spilling like a black waterfall along the sides of his head. Sunlight glinted off the top of his bald crown tattooed with symbols. His lips were large, but somehow paler then the parchment colored skin. They were even more pronounced for how flat his nose was against his face. The glaring beady eyes that were set below the large black unibrow across his forehead. He only wore a pair of red silk pants that billowed, gathered at the ankle with tasseled ropes. A wide sword was stopped to his hip.

The oldest one, now called ‘Grumpers’ by Nim, was carrying a hammer across his back. He had deep scars in his face that made it look like his own skin was a mask. This was kind of disturbing, but hey, you never know what a person goes through in life. He wore the best things out of the three, besides his shoes. Too nice. So many jewels woven into the fabric. His messy grey hair was braided down his back. Both eyes were a pale creamy green.

The last man, looking like the youngest of the group, was called Stork, in her mind. His skin was like the grey hued skin of a herons feather. Sickly, hallow faced, tall. The one she labeled Stork had a circled earring of gold, dangling from his ear by a thin chain. His hair was patched, as if he had some kind of disease that made his hair thin and wispy. Easy to break. His long spindly body had more leg and arms than torso. His fingers spread like spiders legs over the crossbow he carried. It’s quality would denote that a skilled hand made it, that had been tailored, but not for him it seemed.

“What sense did it make for a tailor to craft an outfit that didn’t fit his client?” Nimbus pointed out. “These men are bandits. They didn’t even offer to sell anything like a merchant would, you see? They only eyed you, and seeing me, they made the sensible choice not to tangle with us.”

Nimbus didn’t need to explain further to prove her point. Ahead they saw a half naked man, brutally beaten. His motionless body was sprawled to the side amongst the bushes. Eyes stared into nothing. “The man I saw yesterday from the sky.” She frowned. “His staff is gone too.” Nimbus’s eyes clouded with a stormy blue eyes, recalling the staff the wagon had. “Bastards.” She whispered. “I can't imagine what they might have done to you.”

=

“Of course I would, Ashy.” Naris chuckled. “I got to get work done too, you know? If he thought I was being lazy, even though there isn’t anything much for me to do as I wait here, I’ll get chewed out. Not that I don’t want to do work, but you know. What can I do until the moot?” He said, now just kind of shuffling his feet a bit. “Sometimes you can only do so much, but, not for him. I have to keep doing something. Then maybe we’ll be on good terms you know?..."

Naris's mind went back to a point in time when all things shifted for his life, but he dragged himself back to the present. "So anyway...who are you going to visit first?"

13. Characters in this post:
    Bandits. Cowards. Vala had nothing but disdain for such men, but considering the nature of her mission, she felt no compunction about leaving the dead merchant and his killers behind.

It would have been a waste of time to confront them and Vala preferred to avoid trouble when it could be avoided. However, she wouldn't put it past the three men to follow and wait for some later opportunity to strike. If it did come to that, she wouldn't hesitate to spill their blood in the snow.

"Better then they should worry what I'd do to them," Vala replied. "My blade guts men as well as elk, but let's ignore them for now. We have more important things to worry about than vermin."

After some time, the fact that Vala was essentially retracing her steps began to niggle at her mind. Had she actually passed her son along the way to the city?

At the very least, the elf had confirmed Rorik to be the assassin. No one else, no matter how skilled, would have that kind of advantage when it came to finding him.

"Let's go that way for a while," Vala said as she pointed her staff off the left side of the road, where the tall birch trees grew thicker. "I'd like to find a safe place to use the sight."

~~~

"I haven't decided yet," Ashnak answered. "First, we'll have to find out who is in the city. I'll have Arnolf and the others do that, and when they report back, we'll move out then. Until that time, let's have a talk. There are some things I want to know that only you and your brother could know."

Returning to his room to get dressed, Ashnak went to find Arnolf and the other men to set them upon the task of reconnaissance. With some grumbling, they ate and dressed hastily for the outside chill, then moved outside with a purpose and spread out to different parts of the city.

After seeing his men out of the house, Ashnak returned to the hearth to eat some bread and meat left over from last night. All the empty bottles scattered around were enough to give a man the mother of all headaches in the morning, but being an orc, Ashnak's hardy constitution negated such problems. Indeed, his only wish now was that he had left at least a little mead untouched.

"So, I know this might be a little awkward," Ashnak said as he checked one empty bottle after another. "I imagine you and Cirian would have been questioned quite heavily after Jorgen's death, but please understand; the last time I saw him was back in the north a year ago, as you might know, so don't think of this as an interrogation. I just want to know what he's been up to since then and before his murder."

14. Characters in this post:
    It had been some time that Nimbus had scouted. She didn't particularly like Vala going into a thicket of trees. Part of her wanted her to wait a moment while she looked ahead. Vala walked on into it anyway, seeking about for a place to lay. There they found a large boulder, that nestled against a cliff edge. It was not so high. About ten or so feet, but a cliff edge nonetheless. The boulder's side was gaping for a gash that was cut into it. A dry spot on the ground was a good place to lay.

"Do you think this is good enough?" Nimbus asked, fluttering to a branch by it. "I can keep my eyes out for trouble if you want to use your sight here."

=

"Questioned? I'll say. I was questioned twice, if you get my drift." Naris sighed. "He wasn't without his own interrogation. But anyway, yeah, North." The young elf shuffled some of the bottles around, putting them up in a clever shape that held itself up.

Naris made a thoughtful expression, thinking about what to say to Ashnak. What was it that Jorgen did? Would that he was articulate like his brother.

"As far as I know, he was fine. Doing what he had to do. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary." Naris shrugged, but also he frowned. That was an issue his brother got on his case for.

Naris wasn't paying enough attention. Naris should have taken note of everyone Jorgen met. Naris shouldn't have let- well, what's done was done.

"Did you notice anything? Anyone new, anyone old? Something? Someone? I can't think of anything wrong." Naris admitted. "And I can't say much happened at night that my brother didn't know about. Nothing happens at night. What was there for him to catch? Nothing really. It's my observation that lacks, apparently."

15. Characters in this post:
    Surveying the area, Vala nodded and replied, "This will do, thank you for your help."

Huddling up against the foot of the boulder, she held onto her dagger and closed her eyes. When she opened them again, they were aglow with the sight and she saw the same vision she saw in the tavern. This time however, there was more...

~~~

"Well they saw us. Bring the beast man," said the oldest of the three bandits. "We'll have need of his power."

The youngest went to fetch the shapeshifter whilst the largest came and asked, "Do you have a plan?"

"Yes, we'll use the savage to range ahead of us like last time and let him do the fighting. With any luck we won't have to do a thing, but just in case, you and I will take the woman, and Ivar will shoot down the eagle."

When the shapeshifter came back, his dark eyes locked onto the old one's and his mouth curled up in a smirk. How the grey haired bandit hated it when he did that.

The shapeshifter was a true savage of the north; black eyes, black hair, tall and lean as a hound, all covered in blue tattoos and clothed only in a leather vest, boots and loincloth. It would have been foolish for anyone else to be near naked in the snow, but apparently the beast blood ran hot in the shapeshifter's veins.

"Brun, we have a job for you," the old bandit said.

"Tell all," Brun replied. "I listen."

A short while later, the shapeshifter travelled along the road in bear form with the bandits trailing behind. It was not too long before he reached the forest and the hunt began. For the purpose of stealth, he shifted back into human form and followed the woman's tracks on the ground.

~~~

"Don't be hard on yourself," Ashnak replied. "No one can be expected to remember every little detail of the past, or even know which should be important. No doubt, Jorgen had simply been doing his duties, same as usual."

Finally finding a bottle that was at least half full, Ashnak took a swig of mead and sat back in a chair by the hearth.

"So the question is now, who would benefit from his death? With this long winter, all the people that are leaving and the money with them, the next king would only inherit those problems. What's to be gained?"

16. Characters in this post:
    Among the branches, Nimbus would flit from tree to tree, keeping an eagles eye on the surrounding forest. Any noise, any movement, had to be investigated. It was prudent to make sure one wasn’t completely exposed to danger. During a landing on a branch farthest away from Vala, Nimbus caught sight of a shaded figure. His presence sent an alarm in Nim’s mind. Friend or foe ran through her mind in a flash, and Nimbus decided he was not going to be given the benefit of a doubt.

Taking to the sky in that second, she tried to be as silent as possible. Diving down, Nim focused on his spine. Locking eyes in mid air, Nim turned just in time before the tattooed man could repel her attack which caught his attention to her displeasure. Making a blast of a shriek, her eagle voice was loud, and hopefully it was as alarming to hear for Vala as it might be for Brun.

Taking a swerve again, she dived down once more. These beings were nothing to toy with, and Nimbus knew there was a possibility of great damage, but there was dire need to fend him off.

Come on Vala, wake up! She spoke in her mind, unsure if she should give away that Vala was hiding between the boulder and the cliff.

~~~

“Ah, I don’t think drawbacks to having the current throne is much of an issue. Every rule has problems.” Naris offered, shuffling through bottles to find a full and unopened one. He smiled with a boyish grin at his good fortune, taking a seat by Ashnak near the hearth. “I wouldn’t say a man would worry about taking up slack. Maybe they think they have an answer for the issues at hand, and so that isn’t a big deal. What we should look at first is the very simple question.”

He popped the top off the bottle of ale, taking a swig from it that looked more like a man quenching his thirst after days in a desert. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve, and made a satisfied sigh before continuing. “Who thought they could run things better in general? Who here thinks they have the answer to questions that Jorgen wasn’t inclined to listen to?” He thought about it a little more. “But then again, everyone has their secrets. Could be deeper than we think…” He squinted his eyes. “And that would make my simple question less simple...which brings it back to your proposal. Who would gain most out of this?”

17. Characters in this post:
    For a fraction of a moment, Brun's feral instincts took over as he spun around and took a swipe through the air, his hand changing into a bear's paw as it clawed through where Nimbus would have been had she continued to dive.

"You," he said with a grin as the eagle shrieked. "They warned me of you."

Holding out his turned hand, he gave a sinister chuckle as the other hand changed as well and then, with frightening speed, he bounded up the nearest tree and leaped from it to take a swipe at Nimbus.

The jump was high, but the eagle was higher and Brun fell short. Catching onto another tree to break his fall, he spun around, scratching off wood and bark with claws as long as knives, and landed on the ground with a roll after letting go.

Looking up, he readied himself for a second attempt until he heard quick footsteps behind him and then sprang away just before Vala could drive a spear into his back.

Having seen the shapeshifter's arrival in her vision, Vala had come prepared with her dagger attached to her staff with twine. After her charge, she stepped back and held up her spear in a cautious guard, knowing that a single mistake could mean death.

"Heh, the prey is a woman," Brun said with a smile. "A strong woman, I like that. We can make strong children if you be mine."

Vala pointed her spear at the shapeshifter in response, her expression that of grim defiance.

"Ha ha ha! Oh, that is fine too."

Raising both clawed hands, Brun laughed as the rest of his body began to change. Thick black hair sprouted from his skin, which also expanded as he grew and grew.

"Then I will eat your heart," he said just before the transformation was complete and there he stood as a beast, a bear as large as any other yet still vaguely humanoid in form and no less agile for all his size and mass.

With a berserk roar, Brun bent down on all fours and charged towards Vala, who stood her ground and gave her own battle cry, a shout she had not made since her days as a shieldmaiden. And so they clashed, bear and seer.

~~~

"Hm, you may have a point there about someone thinking they could do a better job," Ashnak replied. "But to resort to assassination... whoever is the cause of this is someone completely without honour. I knew someone like that once, but at least he still faced me in a duel. Of course, he ran away afterwards, but he fought nonetheless."

Remembering those early days, Ashnak wondered where the man he was thinking of was right now. It was possible that over the years, he might have wormed his way into nobility, one way or another. Perhaps he was even the same man who killed or was the cause of Jorgen's death, but all that was mere speculation.

Still, Ashnak pondered the thought as he drank. When he finished the mead, a knock came at the door and he knew that it was Arnolf reporting back.

18. Characters in this post:
    The sheer mass of this beast was a sight to see. The tattoo's on his human body transferred to mark his fur. The fight Vala had in her against the bear was not left to fate. Nimbus dived in and splayed her claws. She targeted his ear, like it was an unsuspecting little brown bird in the sky. Swooping down, her claws caught it up, and then his ear was no longer on him, but tucked in her claws. Blood spurted out from the wound.

Nimbus snickered, taking it up high.

=

"Well we should keep our eyes out for someone like that." Naris said. "I don't think honor matters to men with greed in their hearts..." Then he thought of something interesting, but shrugged it off. He took another drink of ale, and his thought became a little more interesting, so Naris said. "It could be a woman, you know. Well, I mean, it could have been a woman who had him assassinated. Right? that's not too far fetched. They can be wicked creatures too."

19. Characters in this post:
    Vala stepped to the side just in time to avoid getting crushed as the shapeshifter charged on ahead, roaring in pain.

Digging his claws into the ground, he turned around and flung some rocks and sticks into the air, sending a cluster shot of projectiles at Nimbus in retaliation for the attack.

Returning his attention to Vala, he pawed the ground and charged again with a roar.

Moving quickly, Vala stepped behind a tree and waited to see which side the shapeshifter would attack from, but suspecting a trick, Brun checked his advance and slowed to a stop, then circled around warily, keeping his eyes on Vala, who had her spear aimed the whole time.

From there they faced off, both slowly circling around each other with Brun alert for anymore surprises and Vala trying to keep the tree between them.

Taking the initiative, Vala struck first, lunging forward with her spear. The bear dodged to the side and counter attacked with a swipe, which Vala narrowly avoided by leaning her head back and then she launched a counter attack of her own, swinging the butt end of her weapon into the shapeshifter's head.

Having been cracked across the nose with the woman's staff and torn at the ear by the eagle, Brun was quickly becoming infuriated and he sprinted after Vala as she danced away, but she kept her spear pointed forward and never turned her back for a second.

Slowing down just out of reach, Brun approached with caution, frustrated by the threat of the spearhead and the woman behind it. He never imagined that he'd ever meet such a wily foe.

Grunting, he took a swipe at the spear itself, which Vala swiftly moved out of the way then into position again, pointed at the shapeshifter's face. They spent the next few breaths of a moment like that, Brun testing Vala's defences and her maintaining her guard, breaking it from time to time to feint or jab.

Thinking of what he did before to the eagle, Brun tried the same tactic, digging his claws into the ground and flinging up earth and snow, which worked to his satisfaction. Vala went reeling back, shielding her eyes, and Brun lunged forward, knocking the seer to the ground.

The bear was about to rush for a killing blow, but Vala kept her spear raised as she fell and defeated any attempts for a coup de grace. Brun realized too late that he could have knocked the weapon out of the way, but Vala was already on her feet and they faced off yet again, seemingly at a stalemate.

Brun had not forgotten about the eagle either and remained alert for anymore of its swift attacks.

~~~

"Perhaps," Ashnak said as he went to open the door, but to his surprise, the man outside was not Arnolf, at least not only him. Standing in front was the master of Hrotir and Kodral, and one of the wealthiest men in the land, Jarl Uldric Fenrorsen.

"Hello Ashnak, may I come in?" he asked.

Ashnak looked back at Naris with a questioning look, wondering if this was an issue for the elf.

20. Characters in this post:

A rock hit Nim's wing tip, forcing her to recover by rolling in the air. She felt the sting of it through her wing. Nimbus tossed the ear away, taking higher to the air as Vala and Brun were hidden in the trees, making their strikes in there. Once she felt her wing was still good, she saw them clear from the branches. Nimbus assessed how bad it would be to dive in about now. She had an idea spring into her mind.

Twisting slightly in the air, she could see her presence wasn't lost on him. But being reckless, and having trust in her armor, Nimbus disregarded that and made for his head.

=

Of course it was 'perhaps', and Naris looked like he felt it was more than plausible. He tried to explain how Jorgen could have had this secret love. She, being called Esperanza at the moment, couldn't stand that Jorgen loved a different lady, so she tried to kill that woman, but Jorgen saved her. This slighted his lover, and she took her revenge on him!

As anyone can tell, Naris was creative, but hardly the type to depend on when working out detailed scenarios. He was chuckling to himself as Ashnak went to the door, but as soon as he saw Uldric, the elf's face dropped and he quickly pulled up his scarf and yanked down his hood. Only his golden eyes could be seen.

"Good morrow." He said with a small voice compared to earlier.

21. Characters in this post:
    Warned by instinct, Brun turned around to bat the eagle out of the air, but he was too slow. Nimbus's talons smashed into his face and tore bloody scars above his snout, and Brun was stuck violently shaking his head, trying to fend off the attack. Seizing the opportunity to strike, Vala dashed forward with her spear and thrust it into the shapeshifter's side.

Bleeding from his ear, face and body, Brun realized that he'd be as good as dead should the fight continue, and that made him all the more desperate and ferocious. In a final outburst of savage fury, he reared up on his hind legs and smashed Nimbus out of the air with one hand, then delivered a heavy backhand to Vala with the other.

The claws raked across her chainmail, but did not penetrate. Even so, the sheer blunt force of the blow sent her flying back through the air and all the breath left her body when she landed on her back.

Having kept a tight grip on her staff, it was still in her hands when she fell and she used it to push herself to her feet, but the dagger had torn loose from its bindings and remained embedded in the shapeshifter's body. Without it, she feared that there might be no hope of putting up anymore resistance, but then she saw the bear transform back into a man and she knew that the fight was won.

Feeling himself grow weak, Brun pulled the blade from his side with a grunt and turned to face Vala whilst trying to stand up, but he collapsed on his knees and could only manage to look up... with a smile. His face covered in blood, it looked like something out of a nightmare.

"Good fight," he said. "You are strong, stronger than the old man. We should make a deal."

Vala stood over the shapeshifter and looked impassively from his smiling face to her dagger in his hand, and then to Nimbus. Her ribs were sore, but Vala had enough strength to knock the dagger out of the shapeshifter's hand then say in the coldest of tones, "If she is dead, you die too."

Hobbling towards the eagle, Vala called out, "Are you all right?"

~~~

Ashnak cleared his throat and said, "Ah yes, Uldric, this is Gerrick, Gerrick, this is-"

"Do not insult my intelligence, Ashnak," Uldric interrupted as he stepped inside the house. "I know this is the elf who failed to protect the king... and now it appears he's trying to latch onto another lord's good will, or has he already wormed his way into your service?"

Squinting with contempt, he went to stand between Ashnak and Naris, and continued, "I always knew he was good for little more than decoration. I told Jorgen as much you know."

"If you're done," Ashnak said, already tiring of Uldric's presence. "What is it that you want?"

"To talk of course. Your man Arnolf let me know you were in the city, so I thought the least I could do was come here myself to discuss matters of state, particularly about the moot."

"All right, take a seat."

As Ashnak let Arnolf inside and closed the door, Uldric approached the hearth and stood above Naris, saying without words for the elf to leave the chair.

22. Characters in this post:
    The feathers of Nimbus shook as a trees leaves would in the strength of an autumn wind. Her body felt the shock of the hit. Thankfully she had turned in time for his claws to miss her vital parts, but she did make an uncommonly sharp shriek before she thumped to the ground. Her tiny lungs- well, tiny compared to the other beings around her- momentarily lost its breath.

Many things went through her mind. Was Vala alright? She couldn't see her! Nimbus berated herself for not missing that hit. She thought she was too foolish, for putting herself in that reckless position if it meant Vala was without a companion, or worse, if it meant Vala had been harmed. Nim thought back to the letter. To keep safe this woman. She didn't have to say the words to Cirian, to make a promise like that.

The ache through her body was intense, but thankfully her breathing was hindered already, and the strike's effect faded away quickly enough. Still, her hearing was dimmed for longer. Nimbus felt the foot steps vibrations coming towards her. Turning her head gently to see Vala's figure block out the sun, she sighed in relief to know she was alright. Only one eye peered out. The other was closed shut, having been sliced by the claw of Brun.

“I'm...ok.” She grunted, trying to right herself. Nimbus's eye seeped crimson tears.

Hearing the man, Naris kept his brothers words in mind. A man doesn't let his countenance or calm be unsettled by idiots. One must look at a situation of any kind with a critical eye and come to understanding, even if that means accepting and owning up to failures on your end. Naris could just hear his brother by his shoulder, guiding Naris not to fly off the handle when it came to people insulting his kin. Counting to ten, was always a good idea.

“One...” Naris began counting as soon as he heard Uldric speak his first word. “Two...” Naris grit his teeth, staring back at Uldric with the same intensity of criticism as Uldric was giving him while he stated him as a failure. “Three...Four...” It was getting harder now, listening to him make judgments on his and his brothers character. “Five, six, seven-” As soon as Uldric made the motion that he would have Naris's seat, he elf couldn't keep it in any longer.

To hell with the last three! Naris huffed inwardly.

“Hah! Saying that would suggest you have intelligence to insult! Don't flatter yourself, Uldric.” Naris burst, gripping the seats armchair with strength that turned his knuckled white. “Decoration? Pfft, don't hate us because we're handsome AND we're competent warriors, you ass. My brother of all people could take you down with a flick of his wrist! You know, you're not even worth the explanation of what really happened that night, and I don't care what you say about me, but so help me, if you insult my brother again, I'll take you down! So you can suck it!” Naris then got up, standing in front of Uldric. His fists were balled and his eyes burned with the gold of the sun. “You want my seat?” The elf turned around, picked up the recliner, and tossed it out the window. The chair crashed into pieces below. Naris turned back to him with a cool stare.

“Make yourself at home” The notion that the gutter was his home, that the seat now was scattered in, wasn't out of the question either. Naris stood right by that hearth, ready for what might come.

23. Characters in this post:
    "No, you are not," Vala said with concern as she bent down to help Nimbus up. "Your eye is gone. We must find a healer before it gets infected."

Overhearing her words, Brun laughed and said, "An eye for an ear, that is a very fair trade, yes it is!"

Turning and standing, Vala strode towards the shapeshifter and kicked him onto his back.

"You will tell me why you attacked us, wretch," she said as she held the point of her staff above the man's throat.

Still laughing, Brun replied, "My respect to ye and yon companion, truly. The old man said to follow good prey, but you are more like wolf than deer, ah ha ha ha ha! So, wolf woman, my life is in your hands. Will you make a pact with me or kill me dead?"

Looking back at Nimbus, Vala asked, "This man is with the bandits, what do you think we should do with him?"

~~~

"Technically, this isn't our home," Ashnak mumbled as Arnolf chuckled with amusement.

"It seems I struck a sore spot," Uldric replied nonchalantly to the elf. "And now you'd like to strike me down, wouldn't you? Well you're welcome to try, but of course, the whole city will hear of it and judging from your false name - Gerrick was it? - I'm guessing that's not what you want. Be assured, I've no personal quarrel with you, but when all is said and done, you were a bad investment for Jorgen."

Taking a different seat, Uldric sat down by the hearth and continued on, "Ashnak, I know you and I aren't exactly friends, but I'd like you to hear my story and plans for the moot. Your friends may stay and listen if they wish, but beyond this room, I'd like our discussion to be private."

"We better find some more chairs then," Ashnak said as he motioned for Arnolf to do just that. "And regardless of what you said, I value the elf's thoughts on things so he should stay, but that is of course up to him. What do you say Naris?"

24. Characters in this post:
    "Yeah, I guess you're right." She nodded. "Thanks..."

Nimbus began preening, trying to get the blood off of of her chest feathers, and off of her armor. She tilted her head to the left, to peek out with her right eye. The Eagle was staring intensely at Brun, just slightly twitching that good eye when he mentioned the trade. She glowered in contempt. Hopping fearlessly up to him in the manner that all birds do, Nim quietly contemplated what his innards would taste like, while Vala talked with him.

"I know what deer tastes like, you know. Wolf...and Bear too." Nimbus hinted to her thoughts. Just a little interjection.

Still she had to admit this wasn't an attack on a personal level. This was business. She knew that kind of job. Still, she wasn't happy about losing an eye. Brun losing an ear wasn't enough, in her mind.

"Did you make a pact with the other men? What do we have to go off of, besides your word?" Nimbus scrutinized with that one eye. "The question here is, do we trust a stranger who switches sides?"

"Well, apologies to the owner, Ashnak, but the offer still stands. If Uldric wants my seat, he can go sit in it." Naris said, taking another seat, away from Uldric. but in a comfortable spot. "Yes, I would like to strike you down. And I think what sheep think doesn't matter to me. I'm Gerrik for someone else, and if you think you can threaten me with their wrath, you can swallow your words when I shove them down your throat, because you made it personal."

Here we have a good example of why Cirian wouldn't have Naris go to the moot unsupervised. This, one can imagine, is one of those times that Cirian would have sighed deeply too. Maybe even hushed his brother so that he might speak instead. Naris was hot-blooded, and stubborn. But most of all, he was passionate. Taking time to think about that, Naris mumbled that Uldric was a waste of energy anyway.

"And regardless of what you said, I value the elf's thoughts on things so he should stay, but that is of course up to him. What do you say Naris?"

The elf crossed his arms, impatiently. "I will hear it, thank you Ash." Naris said, giving Uldric a critical eye.

25. Characters in this post:
    "I do not choose whose hands might claim my life, brave bird," Brun replied, suddenly serious in tone and expression. "Only the gods can know such things and they have decided I should be here at your mercy. I would not question their designs."

Turning to Vala, the shapeshifter's jovial grin returned as he continued, "But where the old man bested me with trickery, you did it with strength. If our fight went the other way, I would have eaten your heart to take your power and yours as well, warrior bird, but instead I am the one who is beaten, and very clearly as you see."

He removed his hand from the wound in his side and showed the blood on his palm, then reached up and smeared it onto Vala's arm. Disgusted, she stepped back and away from the shapeshifter, allowing him to sit up.

Brun laughed at the reaction and covered his wound again as he said, "Ha, anyway you decide, I may be dying already! But I am wood-wise, so I can tend to my hurts if time be granted. Heh, your friend's as well if she is not too proud, so decide quickly then, I only have so much blood."

"You talk a lot for a savage," Vala replied with disdain, but looking back at Nimbus, she was sorely tempted to accept the shapeshifter's offer of allegiance.

Though Vala knew how to live off the land, she was no medicine woman and if there was a chance that the shapeshifter was telling the truth, then perhaps he could help Nimbus quicker than having to travel to find a healer. If not then at the very least, the man was in no state to do anymore harm. It would be simple for Vala to kill him at the first hint of betrayal.

"Very well, I will spare your life," she said with reluctance.

"That is good," Brun replied, smiling. "And what of you, one-eye? Ye bested me too, so my life is also in your, heh, talons."

~~~

"Very well, I will begin with saying that you ought to care more about the sheep of this country, elf," Uldric said. "Because it is by their sweat and toil that we sit here under a roof, with food to eat and clothes to wear. You at least respect this fact, do you not, Ashnak?"

"Yeah I suppose," the orc replied from where he stood, still waiting for Arnolf to return with a chair.

Uldric nodded with approval and continued, "Jorgen knew it too and he also knew that our duty is to ensure the people's prosperity, so ours may be ensured as well. Of course, he wouldn't put it as cynically as that, but the point still stands."

With a deep sigh, Ashnak interjected, "Yes, yes, enough preamble. Now what do you want?"

"To put it plainly, I want your support at the moot."

The orc could only stare in disbelief. "Well here comes the incentive then."

"How about your people surviving the winter, is that incentive enough?"

"What do you mean?"

Uldric scoffed. "Surely you know. People are travelling in droves to the lands in the south, our winter stores have dried up from here to the north and there isn't a bit of farmable land left anywhere in between. We must begin to rely on foreign aid, I've told Jorgen that for years, but he and everyone else were always too stubborn to admit it."

Ashnak frowned upon hearing Uldric's criticism of Jorgen and seeing this, Uldric hastily continued, "Now I do not mean to disrespect his memory. He was a good man, you know this most of all, but as a ruler, well, you should have seen him at court. Always with the compromises and middle grounds. In any argument, he'd see both parties leaving equally unsatisfied."

"Some might call that ruling fairly," Ashnak replied.

"He ruled fairly, aye, but he wasn't serious enough about the country's survival. I am."

A silence settled as Arnolf came back from one of the bedrooms with two chairs and gave one to Ashnak. "So what did I miss?" said the one-eyed man.

"Just Uldric here telling us how badly he wants to sit the throne," Ashnak answered as he took a spot by the hearth.

"I won't deny that I've desired it," Uldric said. "But this is an issue of necessity. Times are hard now, they're only going to get harder, and all the other jarls are too proud to look for outside help."

"And the substantial bounty on Jorgen's killer, this is your idea of looking for outside help?"

Uldric fixed a level stare at Ashnak and replied in an even tone, "No, that is my idea of avenging his death. He was my friend as well as yours."

"Hm... well what do you think, Naris? My place in the north keeps me far removed from these kinds of concerns, so I'm not sure what to think. Life is always hard up there, you see."

"Harder yet if no more food shipments arrive from the south," Uldric quipped.

26. Characters in this post:
    The Golden Eagle stared at him for a moment, then said. "Oh yeah?" Nimbus rolled her eye, for the other wasn't available to roll. "Gods is it? I suppose everything that happens to you is 'designed' by the 'gods', now?" She asked, and then took a balled up clump of mud, tossing it at his side. "So I guess that was the 'gods' design right?"

Sure Nim had heard Vala speak of her Seer Sight, and sure Vala had mentioned gods, but just because Nimbus had accepted that Vala really had this ability, it didn't mean she thought the rest was true. The Eagle didn't much like Brun, so for him to mention these 'gods' she didn't mind taunting him about it.

"I suppose all of this was just made up by gods, and we are all supposed to be where we are, and there is some stupid plan set out by some invisible random people in the sky." Nimbus flapped her wings a little in a goofy fashion. "I guess I can just eat your heart and take your power, because for some odd reason, the heart holds your essence!" She nearly laughed.

Nim, however annoyed, decided she'd listen to Vala. "You live, because of Vala." She grumbled with disdain. Though, one could say that Nimbus's hesitation to kill Brun added to his survival, she refused to indicate that she valued any of his help at all. To wait for Vala, Nim took to a shaded bush not too far off. It was cooler there, and she didn't have to be next to Brun. The Eagle was quite annoyed. Her whole body language was stiff and her feathers were very much ruffled.

"Being respectful, and having respect for someone is different, Uldric." Naris pointed out.

The idea that one preserved the people to preserve oneself was indeed cynical and pretty much anything coming from Uldric was going to be viewed in a disfavorable light. So, when he asked Ashnak to support him, it was almost inevitable that he would not promote such a move. Yet as Uldric explained his position on things, Naris added in his own thoughts.

"I'd go for a Just rule, over an ambitious rule any day." Naris said, setting his feet up on the footrest. He carefully pondered Uldric. "You know, one might think that the assassin sent to kill Jorgen could be placing attention off of himself...maybe by investigating Jorgens murder. Or financing a search. Who's to say you hadn't set the killer onto Jorgen, Uldric? What if you think we're just playing into your hands now that Jorgen is dead."

27. Characters in this post:
    "You mock the gods?" Brun said in a deadly tone as he glared at Nimbus. Vala thought of dashing for her dagger and plunging it into the shapeshifter's heart... until he burst into laughter. "Heh heh heh heh, ah ha ha ha! The bird that can speak is dumber than the birds that can't, AH HA HA HA HA HA!"

He scooped up a handful of snow and sent it spraying over Nimbus, still laughing uncontrollably.

"Even the trees know, but one-eye is blind, ah ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, too funny, much too funny. Come wolf woman Vala, help me walk. I know what to look for."

Entirely bemused by his reaction, Vala retrieved her dagger then bent down to help the shapeshifter stand. This is all for you, Nimbus, she thought as she tried to ignore all the blood that was getting onto her.

As Nimbus hopped towards a bush, Brun called out towards her, "Hey, you better come too! The old man is not far behind now and one of his dogs has a crossbow, heh, or maybe you can stay behind and meet the gods yourself. It would be a funny palaver!"

"Please stay silent if you value your life," Vala sighed, supporting Brun's weight as he laughed.

~~~

Ashnak's mouth fell wide open as Naris spoke. Why in the abyss did you say that out loud, TO HIS FACE? he thought, wanted to shout, but remained in stunned silence.

Uldric for his part only chuckled at Ashnak's reaction and then replied, "I don't suppose you have any proof to back up your claims, elf? Because that's a rather serious accusation, you know. But those were some good theories, I'll give you that. As colourful as the ones about you in fact, but I'm sure you've already heard most of those."

Shifting in his chair, Uldric continued, "Very well, I'll play this game. I mean it would make sense, would it not? Me, an ambitious jarl who thinks he can do a better job at ruling than Jorgen did, so what quicker way to get to the throne than by getting rid of him? Then I, feeling justified by my plans to save the country, ascend to the throne and secure the authority to do what I want, while the assassin is conveniently captured by one of my men, then executed with the bounty paid off and none the wiser. Only..."

Uldric held up a fist and raised one finger for each point he illustrated, "One: Jorgen's killer was a seer, of which there are only a few in the whole country and they are all known to each other, and would not hesitate to help us find the rogue so that the rest of their kind may be vindicated. Common wisdom dictates that it'd be better to NOT hire such an assassin, who'd inevitably be caught and could easily lead back to his employer.

"Two: even with Jorgen's death, my being chosen to be the next high king is not even guaranteed. In fact, I have less chance than anyone else since my opinions at court have always been unpopular, especially regarding foreign aid. The reason I come to you for support, Ashnak, is because you are one of the few respected lords who may be willing to listen to reason and not disregard everything I have to say for the sake of pride."

Uldric looked at Naris as he said that last word.

"And three: despite what you and everyone else may think of me, Jorgen WAS my friend. He didn't always follow my advice, but he listened and that's something all the other jarls never did. I never intended to play politics and make friends at court, I only did my duty and if the fact that he actually respected my opinions isn't enough, it's because of Jorgen that I'm even alive today and can sit here, being accused of his murder. Do any of you know what it's like to endure a famine?"

Ashnak, entirely surprised by Uldric's impassioned spiel, only answered, "Came close a few times in my hold."

"Is that so?" Uldric replied sardonically. "Well in my younger days, a plague had destroyed all the crops in my home village and we were too poor to afford anything from outside. Sickness took hold, people started dying and even a potato was worth killing for. It was only until I, the only able bodied man left in the village, had traveled here to this city, to raise the issue with high king Jorgen that anyone could be saved at all. I even remember you being his housecarl then, elf, but by the time assistance was finally rendered, so many were already dead. Now imagine that scenario replicated across all of Atamor if someone who's willing to act before it's too late is NOT on the throne by the end of the moot. Can you blame me now for being an ambitious man? It's almost as though I'm the only one who notices each year getting colder and colder, and each harvest being poorer than the last."

"As for Jorgen's killer, I have a theory of my own to propose. What if, and let's remember that he's a seer; perhaps he saw something Jorgen might do in the future that he didn't like and so acted upon it. It wouldn't be the first time such a thing has happened. Now, considering that, what if the assassin had acted entirely on his own? No scheming nobles, no conspiracies of betrayal, just a man on a mission."

"Then I'd say he's a fool," Ashnak replied. "Seer or not, he's bound to get caught."

"But his mission remains accomplished, the future he saw being averted or ensured."

"Even so, he has to pay for what he's done."

Uldric nodded and then said to Naris, "You don't have to like me. I desire not your approval nor your respect, I just want you to think, though that might be better suited for your brother. In any case, understand that we are truly one in the same for our desire to avenge Jorgen. I know he was always kind to you, little as you deserved it and the same for me."

28. Characters in this post:
    The cold stare of her eye was meeting that of the dangerous Shifter. Nimbus wasn't going to back down in this silent power-struggle. However, the sudden laughter furrowed her golden brow. The snow had to be shuffled off, like a dog shaking. Nimbus's annoyance at this movement, and at his words grew, but the bird was not going to engage into this childs game of pointing fingers.

"As blind as you are deaf!" She argued from her bush. "And don't patronize me, Shifter, I can handle myself!" But it did enter her mind to remind herself to thank Vala later for all she had done. The Eagle watched them hobble away in to the trees. The blood on the snow was pretty, despite it's implications of a fight.

'Gods. What a fool. There are no gods.'

Pondering these things, she was snuggled in the folds of the bush. She had a clear view of the battle area and although she couldn't see in her right eye anymore, she heard quite well. Tilting, she spied the bandits creep into view. Each were mumbling, pointing where they thought Nimbus and the other two had gone. The one known as Stork had a crossbow.

'Pfft. Unacceptable' Not intending to let them follow the blood trails, Nim shot out at the bowman first. His head slumped forward on his shoulders like a napkin folded in half, but still attached. The startled bandits turned around, just as Nimbus cracked the bow in half before taking to the sky again. She flicked into the trees while Grumpers and Budgy got their bearings. Yet no time more would they get. Nimbus shot out again, dodging a hit by Budgy. She went in and out of the branches, and they couldn't guess when she'd spring from next.

"It's a demon!" Grumpers cursed.

Nimbus rushed at his head from behind, clipping his spine too. Budgy managed to slam a hand onto her wing, but thankfully she swept it in fast enough not to get pulled. In the air she swung, coming right onto Budgy. He made a yell, like a warcry, as Nimbus came to to his face. He had a hard metal club to shatter her body with, but when they met her ebony talons, the blades cut into it, slicing it in half. Nimbus struck her hemelt against his head, and crushed Budgy's temple. He fell backwards, and she used the force to fling into the soft snow. Once on the ground, she turned to look at her handy work. All dead.

"I guess I'll see the gods at a latter time." Nimbus spoke smugly. "Or when summer reaches the North." The Eagle snuggle into the bushes again, waiting.

Naris could tell what Ashnak was thinking, and he guessed Uldric would make up something to say. No one would go 'Well, you got me. I did it.' Of course he would give an alibi. In a way, all they know now is a story they can potentially find holes in, which could expose Uldric later.

"Well, you make a good point." Naris agreed, though reluctantly. "I guess you didn't do it. He sighed in defeat and crossed his arms. As Uldric spoke of a famine, Naris didn't seem to care to offer his own story. "This isn't a competition to see who had the best sob-story." Naris mentioned flatly. "We don't have to have gone through a famine, to know it's bad, alright? So you had hard times, big deal. Not as if no one else did." He said. "Your solution, what would it be, Uldric? You can't control the weather." Naris was suspicious.

What might this man intent to do? It was fine, until Uldric made a crack at him again. It was, in all technicality, a compliment towards his brother in a way, but it wasn't welcome still. "First off, you would do well to keep your smack-talk to yourself, Uldric, you inherently disagreeable man." Naris narrowed his eyes. "I would hope you have the sense to explain just HOW you are gonna 'save' us all, before expecting us to just follow you into this. What if the aid doesn't agree?"

29. Characters in this post:
    Some time later, Vala returned with Brun hobbling behind her, but walking well enough on his own. His wounds were covered with poultices, kept in place with strips of cloth, and a clump of moss was hanging out of Vala's pouch.

At first, Vala was concerned when she saw the bandits lying dead in the snow, but then she saw Nimbus huddled in a bush and sighed with relief. Brun on the other hand was absolutely wide eyed as he looked at the bodies and then at the eagle.

For a moment, he simply stared in stunned silence, but when he turned his eyes upon the bodies again, a look of realization dawned on his face and his mouth split into an open grin.

"Yes... yes, I see now!" he said excitedly. "It's all coming together, I see it now!"

"See what?" Vala asked, utterly perplexed.

The shapeshifter burst into a fresh fit of laughter as he replied, "I was going to make you fight the old man before making our pact, but you and your companion are worth ten of him and his dogs together! The answer was already clear!"

Turning to Vala, he gripped her by the shoulders and continued, "My time with them was only so that they could lead me to you, don't you see? It is the call of destiny, the gods have a plan! Ha ha, we must make our pact now!"

"How about after treating Nimbus?"

"Yes, of course!"

Brun let go and went towards the eagle with Vala following behind.

"You are magnificent!" the shapeshifter crowed with joy when he crouched down in front Nimbus. "I am free now thanks to you. Here, Vala, give me the ice moss."

~~~

Uldric merely shrugged and replied, "I make no apologies for speaking my mind, never have. In any case, all I can do is try. Foreign relations has always been tricky business and there's no guarantee it'll work, but if it does then we'll have averted a disaster. I've already enlisted the cooperation of some other jarls, but every voice will count at the moot and yours counts for a lot, Ashnak."

Standing up, Uldric nodded at the orc and concluded, "Well, I've said my piece. I'm sorry I could not be more cordial with the elf, but I cannot forgive him for failing Jorgen in his time of need. Maybe someday, but not today. Anyway, I'll be seeing myself out."

When Uldric left, Ashnak turned to Naris and said, "I'm surprised he didn't try to bribe me. So what do you think, is there any merit to his words?"

30. Characters in this post:
    Crunching boots made Nim look up through the branches of the bush. It was warm there, and pretty covered. If it had been a beast coming to feast on the dead, she was sure she would be concealed well enough. Seeing it was Vala and Brun, Nimbus stepped closer to the edge to meet eyes. Cocking a feathery brow, the Golden Eagle sighed and shook her head at the Shifter. He was spouting about the gods again.

"There is no plan. What do gods have to do with us, even if they are real? Why are we even important to them at all? Can you tell me that, eh Brun?" Nimbus posed. The Eagle knew she was going to have to travel with him, so might as well get ready to be fussy about this subject. It was her mission, she thought, to relieve him of the fantasy he latched onto since he was a babe suckling on his mothers breast. The lie of a deity, or deities, looking down on them. Nim's thought on that was that it was insulting. No one is special. There is no one looking down on her. Or anyone.

The Eagle let Brun come over to help her eye. It was very sore and she had to brace herself. The color was off and the eye ball was loose inside her socket. It was either going to come out, or stay inside. Either way would work at the moment, but Nim wasn't sure how bad it was from Bruns point of view. The vertical cut was going to stay, of course. Forever to mark her. Nims eye went to look at the place where Brun's ear had been. She had to admit. It was quite coincidental.

"How are you there Vala?" She asked, making sure she was alright.

"I honestly don't like this man at all." Naris crossed his arms, not taking his eyes off the door. "I don't need his apology anyway." He added.

The elf grabbed a bottle of ale and swirled the bottle a little, watching the liquid form a tunnel. "I guess in a way, we are stuck. Depending on how many Jarls he has with him, he might not need our voice, and if we purposefully vote against him, he might take that as a slight. I think he's cornered us Ashnak. If we don't, he'll know." Naris frowned, tipping the bottle to sip it. He finished the bottle and set it down. "I don't think he had to bribe you, Ashnak. He just had to show up. This wasn't a bribe. It was a question asked. 'Are you my friend, or my enemy'. And we'll give him the answer at the moot."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 31 to 60 of 94