Login to your account

In the Belly of the Beast

Tensions rise in the kingdoms. Deceit will be revealed. Alliances will form.......

Tags: dragons, kingdom, knights

Character Approval: Yes

Player Level: Intermediate

New Players: Closed

Creator: Petrichora

Created: 08-10-2011, 01:28 AM

Overview
Characters
Game World
Game Log
Recent Posts
Journals
OOC
Place:       Character:

Game Log

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 61 to 87 of 87

1. Characters in this post:
    Shayden resisted the urge to grin. It was hardly the appropriate response to Marius's complete rage. Part of him wanted to even respond coolly, that Marius was hardly staking a claim in the fine lady and if he didn't.... Someone was bound to. However, for the sake of his purpose he simply remained quiet. "Of course your highness, I meant no offense." He said, though he wanted to add that any woman who stripped in public would grab all men's attention with in seconds.

Seeing that Marius was at least done raging at him for the time being he went to his horse Cliff and threw himself into the saddle. Careful to keep his eyes completely away from the Princess.

Trulin returned from cleaning her shirt and the damned little fox pup and carefully set the damp creature into her saddle bag once more. The contents of the bag were what caught most of his... Elimination. So the bag itself was fine. Once he was situated, she too mounted up. Having no intention of unpacking to change into another shirt, she simple removed the linen one and buttoned up her leather vest all the way. Leaving her arms bare and about an inch between her somewhat loose fitting pants and the bottom of the vest. She shoved the shirt into the saddle bag opposite Lir's and settled into the saddle.

Looking at Marius, whom she noticed walking back from Fontain, she noticed a very distinct and displeased expression contorting his features. When he mounted, she drew up beside him. Part of her wanted to know what had happened while another part felt it wrong to ask, all things considered.

She did however, notice Fontain now completely ignored her. He had seemed as intrigued as any of the other pale faced natives, now she was practically non-existent. Oh..... Stupid males... She wanted to stride over to Fontain and give Marius a real reason to feel threatened but she resisted. Instead, she looked to the Pyre, its smoke curling up higher and higher with each passing second. She felt the need to address this moment, but nothing felt right. She didn't know or like any of them, though she assumed they did their job well. "They were good men." she said in a strong and perhaps even a tiny bit compassionately. Then she squeezed her horse into a sort of walk not, going out ahead of her husband to be. Feeling strange waiting around to leave, but knowing it was inappropriate to gallop until they had at least rounded the bend in the road some fifteen yards ahead.

2. Characters in this post:
    Some people, when angry, would scream and yell. They would snap at everyone and everything. Marius was no exception, at least, at first. At the sign of the first flame, Marius could quarrel with the best. But once the initial rage subsided, nothing could get Marius to talk. In fact, Marius had gotten pretty good at controlling his outbursts.

Except just then. With Fontain. It was an odd situation, really.

Marius stubbornly set his jaw. The princess rode beside him, and Marius was certain she hadn't seen what had transpired. He grunted in response to her weak sympathy. He glanced over at her, suddenly ashamed at how callous he was being. And yet, he was too proud to apologize. Especially with that idiot Fontain present. Perhaps if Marius could get her alone, he could apologize to her. In the meanwhile, he sat atop Dancer, hating everyone. Fontain. The princess. Himself.

3. Characters in this post:
    They rode for what seemed like an eternity and a single moment, for Trulin felt as though she had been chewing on the same thoughts for eternity but she felt as though they had hardly progressed at all through the dense forest. It all looked the same to her unfocused eyes.

When they stopped to make camp, she dismounted and only when her legs trembled did she realize she hadn't eaten since this morning. Most of the men had eaten while they rode, or not eaten at all to consumed by pain she assumed. She didn't know if they would strike a fire or not, so she simply lead her mare to a large tree and looped her reigns over one of the branches while she untacted her. The mare was a strong specimen, but even the strongest beast would be sweat slicked after a full days ride. She took care to comb her and scratch the places where the bridle, cinch, and saddle itself rode uncomfortably. It was uncommon for Trulin to be so kind and compassionate to a human, yet she was always gentle and soothing to any animal she came into contact with. Something about them brought out the tender side in her. When she was done, she hung the tact from a chest high branch far from reach of any critters or the like while they all slept.

She saw that Nolita was trying to help some of the men who were in pain, offering more salve and a pain relieving tea she kept in a flask. Esric was probably patrolling the perimeter of their encampment.

Trulin knew that she was of little use to Nolita, and besides she knew that none of these men would probably a appreciate the Barbarian Princess aiding them. So instead she took out a long thick fur and spread it, fur side up, on the ground on the otherside of the same tree she tied her mare to. Sitting down on the fur with her back against the tree she considered going to find Marius, but part of her knew that he wanted nothing to do with her right then and she didn't particularly want company either. So, this spot on the farthest edge of what could be considered the camp was fine with her. Lir, who'd disappeared while she worked over the horse, presumably to do his private business, returned and lept into her lap. Her hand fell to his back, petting him thoughtlessly.

"I wish this was war, I'd at least know what to do then..." she said quietly to her fox. He looked up at her blinking his amber eyes lazily. He was quite tired. She wasn't sure that she meant it, she knew war was a terrible and bloody thing. Only monsters truly enjoyed it, but she loved the fight of war. The way it flowed into a dance, the intimacy of it, the scent clash of steal or staff. This... this was not battle, he hadn't fought for her hand, he hadn't challenged her in anyway. And at every turn he insinuated her weakness, as though she were to feeble to be worthy of challenging. It down right galled her. She wanted to punch him in the face, but she couldn't. She was to make an alliance.... This was hell.

4. Characters in this post:
    Shayden was careful to avoid the Princess or to give any signs of outwardly noticing her. Though he was acutely aware of both Marius and his bride to be the entire journey. The Princess seemed to be a million miles away, her expression glazed and somewhat unseeing. Though the slightest snap of a twig or rustle of leaves set her to full alert in less time than it took to blink. He would make sure to remember her keen sense of hearing in the future; though it was certainly an obstacle easily enough overcome for one such as him.

The Prince was an odd fellow, Shayden decided. He didn't seem to feel anything remotely affectionate for the princess, he hardly even seemed to notice that she quite an exotic beauty. As the rode, he thought about how whenever she had touched him, he'd virtually ignored her. She seemed to be more out-reaching and determined to make the best of this, well most politely termed, uncomfortable situation. However, he knew she had stunk out the night she had arrived here, so she had a more devious side as well. Perhaps her motives were geared to a grander purpose. . . He had expected that the prince would be the best source to understanding the alliance between Dragonhalle and Ailsa, however it seemed the Princess or her companions might lead to more answers.... It might do well to find a way to install a maid servant close to her. He would have to consider the best way to do that without raising suspicions and while making certain it had absolutely nothing to do with himself.

Airon found him when they made camp and addressed him with the slightest sparkle of amusement when he spoke, "Lord Fontain," the glitter most prominent when he spoke the assumed title. "I have set the men to patrolling the nearby forest, and setting up a perimeter guard. We won't be surprised tonight." he said, and bowed. Now it would be Shayden's duty to inform the prince of the precautions they were taking. Though he didn't see the prince anywhere, he sighed. He would have taken care of his horse, but instead he handed the reigns to Airon and removed his gloves wrapping them in his belt. "Thank you Bonavar." Airon glared at him, he hated the distinctly Dragonhalle name. Had commented on knowing a man by that name and had lost twenty gold pieces to him once in a rigged game of dice. But Airon was very much a Riverstone name. So he said the first thing that came to mind instead.

Looking around, he located the one he thought to be the Prince's second and with a very confident saunter, he approached him. Careful to maintain an air of nobility but wanting to be as approachable and friendly as he could to win over those closest to the Prince he smiled and looked the man in they eye, breaking with common tradition of the separation of the blue bloods and the soldier class. He said repeated what Airon had told him. "Now, I would hope you'd inform your master of our precautions." And he turned and strode away.

5. Characters in this post:
    "This is war," Marius said, stepping out from the forest behind the princess. With Dancer cared for, he had sought out the river. It was good to always know where your water source was, and luckily, it wasn't too far away. They had been following it all morning. After splashing some water in his face, he decided it was time to talk to the princess, to apologize. Before he could think, before he had time to change his mind, before he let his pride get the best of him, Marius had turned his back on the river and headed back toward camp.

Now, he stood a few feet from the princess with his clasped behind his back and his head slightly bowed. It was the most submissive position he could manage without hurting his pride too much. He cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably. "B-but you are right," he stammered. When he realized she'd expect a better explanation, or rather, admission, as all girls do, he added, "Ab-about not knowing what to do. I. . . I've never been in this situation before, myself, and, well. . ." He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what he wanted to say. Perhaps something to make things better between them. So they'd at least be friends. "I. . . I don't know what to do or what to say." He decided to be honest.

Grayson Averoth, Marius's second-in-command for this operation tapped him on the shoulder. "Your Highness," he addressed him when Marius turned to acknowledge him. "The Lord Fontain wishes you to know that he has had his men set up a perimeter around the camp. There will be no problems tonight."

Marius pursed his lips and nodded curtly. "Thank you, Averoth." His nostrils flared a little as he felt the rage build up again. He still didn't trust Fontain. "Send out a few of our own men, too. Let Lord Fontain know that we thank him." He dismissed Averoth and turned back to the princess, not sure how to continue. He was proud of himself for not completely losing his temper. He opened his mouth to say something, but his mind went blank. Only the sound of his sudden inhalation could be heard. He lifted his hand as if to gesticulate what he was trying to say, but that didn't help, either. He let his hand fall to his side before bringing it up and sheepishly running it through his hair and resting it on his neck.

Marius noticed the little fox pup staring at him and couldn't help staring back for a moment. Realizing he had drifted off, Marius looked up quickly, and made eye contact with the princess. "Please, forgive me for my foolishness earlier," he said, trying to fill the silence.

6. Characters in this post:
    Trulin watch the prince silently. She hadn't heard his approach, either because she was too lost in her own thoughts or perhaps he was more adept than she gave him credit. Either way, it was of little matter. They were of a blood that sought advantage. It was only to be expected he would come from the rear, silently, perhaps to get the better of her in some way.

Before she could speak, one of Marius's men came to him and spoke of Fontain taking the initiative to setup a perimeter. Then Marius, of course, sent several of his own men to do the same. Then the soldier left. And they were left together, in silence.

She stared at him for a moment, considering what to say in response to his apology. A part of her was pleased that he was owning up to mistakes, while another part of her was bothered he would at all.... "I accept your apology... Though you needn't have made it, neither one of us is used to..." she paused, her common was clear and concise because she spent much time attempting to perfect it so she would have less difficulty with the people of Dragonhalle, but she still stumbled sometimes with finding the right words. "compromising?" She smiled, not certain that was the word she wanted. "I have had to earn everything I have at the end of a blade, a mate should have been no different... I am sorry... That my resentment has poisoned this alliance.... You were brave today. And your hand with a sword is excellent..." I wonder if you really could win my hand... "I want this alliance to be a good one... I simply am not accustomed to... working this way." She sighed, looking down at her fox. Lir was interestedly listening to both of them. As though he might at any minute chime in.

"Please," she scooted over on her fur. "Sit with me a while..." She looked up at him through dove gray eyes, her face uncommonly open and inviting. In the pale light from a fire that was now lit towards the middle of the clearing she even looked vulnerable... Though she would have been insulted had anyone told her so. "Perhaps we can ... talk, and begin again on a better footing?" It was the closest thing she had to an olive branch. A part of her hoped he accepted it, since it would make things easier down the road. Yet, another part of her prayed he didn't because she might have to see him as an equal.

"He is a pale face... He will never understand our ways. How can you agree to marry a man who has no honor? Who will not cross the salt water to battle you for the right to your hand and your bed?" Kease's voice echoed in her mind... She looked at Marius, for the first time trying to unearth weather or not he was just a pale faced bastard or...

With a bit of a shock, she realized he was quite handsome. His eyes were filled with hidden depths that he seemed to want to conceal. His tumble of curly black hair was somehow appealing in a way she was unfamiliar with, curly hair was not typical in Ailsa. Her wavy hair was strikingly uncommon, in fact. Damnit... she thought as her stomach pinched uncomfortably. That was a strange sensation she had experienced only twice before and she knew it lead no where good.

7. Characters in this post:
    It was unsettling to Marius to be referred to as a "mate." Or perhaps the unsettling part was that the princess had implied that he was not a worthy mate. Whatever the cause, he knew he did not like the word mate. The word made it sound as though marriage were simply for providing children and that love was not involved in it. When he thought about it, Marius realized that that was exactly what they were doing. Marrying for political reasons as well as heirs to the Dragonhalle throne. Maybe mate was the perfect word for him. Marius furrowed his brow briefly before clearing his face with the skill earned through years of practice. He couldn't keep his emotions from his face at all times, but he was fairly quick to replace it with a blank canvas.

Marius could tell that the princess was uncomfortable with offering him a seat. Hell, he was uncomfortable with it. And he definitely didn't know how to respond. If he accepted, he was sure another equally uncomfortable conversation would ensue. If he declined, he was sure the princess would be insulted. Insulting the princess was easier than being mounted by some hal'penny hussy from a cheap cathouse.

He looked over his shoulder at the rest of the camp, searching for someone who might need his attention. Finding none, he let his head fall in defeat and sighed. Cocking his head to the side, he smiled. "As no one seems to be ready to come to my deliverance from this cruel fate, I suppose I must." He laughed nervously, hoping that would make it clear that he was joking and not trying to insult her. Standing up straight, he cleared his throat. "Um, yes, of course. A new foot. Certainly." Marius sat on the fur next to the princess and rested his elbows on his knees.

8. Characters in this post:
    Trulin barely caught his poor attempt at humor, it was such a strange and unexpected reaction from one so stiff.

Her brow furrowed for a moment as she looked at him. "You're actually joking with me?" she smiled, somehow she felt relieved at this. The warmth that touched her lips, quickly spread across her entire face. Lighting her eyes to a friendly and amused expression, and softening her entire posture. He could treat her as an equal, well perhaps that was stretching it a bit, but he wasn't treating her as so frail and delicate in the head and hand that he couldn't honestly express he didn't like this.

"Well, some might consider me their deliverance. After all, I did save you earlier." she chuckled, allowing the mood to shift into a casual one. She leaned back against the broad trunk of the tree. "So, is it true?" she asked, a wry grin beginning to pull at her lips. "They say you aren't really a man at all, they say you hatched from the egg of a dragon and took human form, so that you might lead Dragonhalle into a new era of glory." She had heard several versions of the rumor both aboard the ship, and from the men who'd visited Ailsa. She was certain it was all hype, but it had intrigued her non-the-less.

9. Characters in this post:
    Marius's first reaction was to protest. The fact that the princess would claim to have saved him was infuriating. But he had already sacrificed too much of his pride to let it be for naught. Arguing with her now would just push them right back to where they were. He washed the emotion from his face, as he had done many times before. He tried to think of a diplomatic way to refute her statement. We both fought bravely back there...We both saved each others' lives... But nothing he could think of sounded right. Eventually, he gave up and moved on. Besides, rumors that he was a dragon were far more interesting. They almost even entertained him.

He shrugged and looked away, feigning modesty. "It's true. I am a dragon. I'm a man by day and a dragon by night. At the moment of my crowning, I shall burst forth from this human body and take on my true form permanently." He flashed his teeth, and a dimple appeared on his cheek. That wasn't quite an accurate myth. Actually, dragons were known for being able to shape-shift at will. Be he remembered a tale he heard once of an enchanted prince, and he liked that story much better, so he spun his own tale. "I was born long ago, hatched from the egg of the last dragon. With no mother to guide me, my shifting became unstable, and eventually my human form took root, my dragon hiding itself from man out of the necessity to survive. Only when I have gained enough power shall my dragon return in all it's glory." So maybe he was getting into the story a little too much. . . "And now, it is almost time for me to reclaim my power and lead my people into prosperity."

10. Characters in this post:
    Trulin arched a brow at his story, pursing her lips so as to hold back the smile and laughter in her throat. "Oh, I see..." she said, for if she said more she would have been forced to laugh.

Taking a moment to compose herself, she petted Lir idly. "You are a man of many sides my Prince. So, tell me, how do I fit into this grand scheme of yours?" The corner of her mouth pulling up in to a lopsided smile, "Do you offer me immortality and set me as your queen at your right hand? Or am I sent back across the salt waters? Or perhaps you've planned something entirely different?"

As she finished speaking, she reached into the saddle bag that she had set not to far off the fur she sat upon. Pulling out a leather wrapped parcel and a flask of water. She would have preferred something with a little more fire in it, but she knew it wasn't suitable while traveling to risk dehydration. Unwrapping the parcel, she pulled out some dried meat that had been soaked in honey and some herbs to give it a sweet tangy flavor. It had been shredded into three or four inch trips that were about an inch to an inch and a half wide. She held out a strip to Marius, less than a night ago she wouldn't have even considered sharing a meal with him. Yet, a part of her was always softened when she fought along side someone. "I promise its safe." she said, not sure if he'd take it, but it was hardly right to eat in front of another warrior without sharing it equally.

11. Characters in this post:
    Marius took the meat, but didn't eat it. His mirth had disappeared once again. It was all fun and laughter to talk of rumors and stories and make-believe, but then the princess. . . She had a way of bringing up the wrong subjects.

They were bound to have this conversation some time. Maybe it was for the best that it was sooner rather than later. "After we are married, we shall remain Prince and Princess of Dragonhalle until my father dies. Then we shall rule together as King and Queen. My father truly believes that our alliance will help to bring the nation of Dragonhalle out of the turmoil and strife that has been it's history. He also believes that any son of a king of Dragonhalle and the princess of an undefeated nation of warriors shall grow up to be stronger than any man born or yet to be born." He made eye contact with the princess as he spoke, trying to convey that this was of the utmost importance. Other than that, he wasn't quite sure what was to happen. They were to be married and they were expected to produce an heir and rule together. It was out of the question to send her back.

"I'm afraid, at least while my father lives, you mightn't ever see your home again."
    There was something else. . . He'd heard that the kingdom across the sea revered women. Yes, his father held his mother in the utmost respect. That was not the issue. There was something else. . .

12. Characters in this post:
    Trulin bit off a piece of the cured meat and chewed mechanically. He had to go and turn a perfectly pleasant conversation into another conflict.

"I didn't mean..." she sighed heavily. "I accepted that I would probably never see my home again when my Queen told me of the alliance she wished to forge with your people..." I do not blame you, you are pawn just as I have allowed myself to become... As for heirs... We shall see if you can earn them... "However, your father is correct. If we were to create a child, she or he would most certainly be bound for glory... Yet, it is sad he does not already see his own son is as well." She wasn't certain why she said it, but she found a reason to verbalize only a few seconds later. "After all, you were brave enough to marry a woman most would be afraid to look upon for fear I'll be offended and eat their children, or some such nonsense." I wonder what he really thinks about me, about all of this... He seems so ... torn... Probably he's lost the chance at some fair maid he would have preferred as wife... He shouldn't have agreed to marry me if it would make his heart so bitter. Though she had no inclination towards a marriage for love, she knew those who did were best left to their own way. They tended to fall of cliffs or their mates poisoned if they were forced into a union they didn't want.... A sobering thought, perhaps she'd look into a taster when they got to Dragonhalle. Poison was such a pathetic way to die.

13. Characters in this post:
    Marius shook his head almost mournfully and looked away. He couldn't meet her eyes. She was certain to discover the truth in his eyes. No, he couldn't do that to her. He could deal with her anger. Anger was something he dealt with every day. But he knew the truth had the potential to break her heart.

"I don't know what the men are like where you are from, but many men of these kingdoms find it a treat to bed, even marry, a dark-skinned warrior as yourself." He had intended it as a compliment, but it didn't come out that way. "I mean, I have heard many tales of men, rich lords taking village girls from across the sea to wife. They are foreign to us. Exotic. And I see the way the men back in the city looked at you. The way my men look at you. The way Fontain looks at you." He clenched his fist. He knew his men would look on her lustfully. It was their nature. And they were much lower than him in the hierarchy. It was almost unheard of for a woman of higher standing to run of with the likes of them. But if this Fontain was who he claimed to be, then he wasn't much lower than him and that made him a threat. Many a royal lady ran out on her fiance for another lord.

All the more reason for him to keep the truth hidden.

14. Characters in this post:
    Every muscle in her body froze and stiffened at his words. "A treat to bed" He'd said, she wanted to hit him so hard his jaw would shatter! Then his stumbling explanation cooled the rage, only a low simmer of insult hid beneath the surface of her blank expression.

"Your men look at most women lustfully, not to be rude. And Fontain ... He probably sees the power I represent. Just as your father does, I'm certain. As for the rest, it really does not matter, does it? I've pledged myself to marry you, and I keep my word, Tiamat. As I expect you will as well." She did not understand what it mattered how other men looked at her, child eater or temptress it made little difference. She was High Cassara, Daughter to Queen Olencia of Ailsa, and would be Queen of Dragonhalle. She knew what her future held, though she tried to ignore the fact she hated it. A Cassara such as her was meant for more than sitting at home and bearing heirs.

"As for bedding," she said softly, "That, you, just as any other man I might have taken as a mate, will have to earn." She knew he wouldn't understand, she didn't particularly care either. It wasn't her problem and he would figure it out soon enough. It wouldn't be til later it would occur to her that he already felt proprietary over her, and that in some small way he was revealing himself to her by voicing the fact he even noticed other men's attentions toward her.

Nolita could see from her vantage point near the fire that Trulin and Marius had spoken for quite some time, but as she had expected one or the other had said something to offend the other and Trulin's eyes, which had been warm and for once, almost as they used to be before the Queen's Announcement of Trulin's union with a Dragonhalle Prince. Yet, now they alit with the quiet fire of anger she nearly always held inside now.

She stood and quietly made her way to the High Cassara, she curtsied before Marius and touched the three longest fingers of her right hand to her forehead and bowed from the waist to Trulin, "High Cassara, I have made everything ready for you to wash by the river if you will come with me."

"I don--" Nolita shot her a look that said, "don't argue" and Trulin shut her mouth. "Of course, I'll be there shortly." Nolita wanted to argue further, but she knew not to once she had been dismissed. Trulin stood and set Lir down on the fur, "Despite our conflicting natures, I enjoyed this. Tomorrow night when we make camp again, I wouldn't mind repeating this. It might be wise for us to get to know each other." Before we get swept up in ceremony and politics... Though she didn't say it aloud, she thought he would know her meaning anyway. So she turned and left, following Nolita towards the river.

15. Characters in this post:
    Marius stood and bowed when the princess rose. "Oh course," he said. "I have been preparing myself for this day since birth." He was trying to explain to her, to reassure her that he would never run off with some forsaken lover because he had never taken a lover before. He knew it was his destiny to marry for power rather than love and had readied himself since he could remember, since he knew what love was. But the princess had already left.

It was all for the best. No matter how well he could keep silent, the temptation was always there, always threatening.

He would keep his distance. He would not take her up on her offer to speak the next night.

It was all for the best.

16. Characters in this post:
    Nolita grabbed Trulin by the shoulder and jerked her around to face her once they were out of sight of the camp. In Ailsan she said, "You are going to ruin things if you don't start acting like a woman and less light a warrior on crusade!" She hissed angrily.

Trulin glared at her, and turned around and kept walking toward the water to clean herself up. Nolita once again grabbed her, but this time Trulin was ready for it, and grabbed her arm and twisted it around and flipped Nolita over as she knocked out one of Nolita's legs with her foot, effectively throwing her off balance and forcing her to the ground. In Common she said, "I am what I am, I did not ask for this. I did not ask the be the strongest, or to be first among you. I accepted those things as I have accepted this, but he knows not what I have given up for his sake and he never will. He cannot understand me, and so I will not understand him." Nolita could have tried to fight Trulin, could have thrown her off, but the pain in her voice made Nolita stop and hold still. It was the first real weakness she had ever seen in the young woman, and it was unnerving.

Trulin released her and rose, spinning on her heel to go to the river and wash her face.

Nolita rose and did not follow her mistress, instead she debated on what to do about the prince. It was obvious working through Trulin was going to take far longer than was viable, there had to be Something between them before they reached Dragonhalle or there was no hope. Trulin would be alienated the moment they reached the palace, and Marius would have the advantage ever after in her mind.

17. Characters in this post:
    A se'enight and a day later, they arrived at the border of Dragonhalle and Riverstone. They had made good time and Marius was glad to be out of hostile lands. Dragonhalle's terrain wasn't the most forgiving of land, but at least it was his land. Him and his men didn't have to creep through the woods like criminals anymore, fearing capture or death at enemy hands. In two days time, they would arrive at the Castle Dragonhalle.

Nothing particularly eventful had happened in the passing days, not since that first attack. And Marius was pleased with himself for successfully avoiding any private conversations with the princess. He hadn't completely shut her out. They still rode side by side at the front of the group, but he would not let himself be alone with her. The temptation to tell of the information he possessed was great, but he could overcome it if he had ample reason to. That's where his men came in. It wasn't exactly a discussion for their ears. With them around, he couldn't very well tell her.

As the beauty of Riverstone slowly faded behind them, Marius smiled. "This is Dragonhalle, princess." He swelled with pride. "Home."

18. Characters in this post:
    In the time since their one night of almost friendly conversation, the Prince had managed to completely avoid her. Well, Completely might have been an exaggeration. They put on the show being together, they rode together they occasionally exchanged a comment or two about the scenery or such trivial matters.

Trulin was irritated.

They were to be married and he hadn't the spine to be near her if there wasn't at least one other person present, and that was nearly private compared to the usual three or more men he seemed to always have nearby. It was enough to make her feel pushed away and perhaps that was well. It helped her to regain proper control over her expressions and her words. She had not given into temptation and let her temper show since the last time she had the day after her arrival in Riverstone. Nor had she really shown any emotion, save for mild amusement or interest. Very mild on both counts.

Then they approached the border between Riverstone and Dragonhalle, which she smelled before she saw it. The scent of sulfur, she thought or something equally distasteful assaulted her nose and her throat. She had been warned about this, but it was all she could do to suppress a cough by clearing her throat and sipping from her waterskin. Luckily, no one noticed and she composed herself before she actually saw the beauty of Riverstone recoiled from the ugliness of Dragonhalle. Her last traces of hope that Dragonhalle was only rumored to be a barren wasteland compared to the emerald Jewel of Ailsa were shattered as the most fragile of glass dreams, the shards of which lodged themselves in her heart and a part of her hated Marius. Hated him for forcing her into a land forgotten by the gods, for what god would allow such a place to go untended such as this? Hated him even more for not having the slightest inkling of what she had given up for him. For this damned alliance.

Trulin retreated into the calm, logical part of her mind. From there, she could pick up or set aside emotions as need be and merely look at any situation rationally. Seeing all its advantages and disadvantages, weighing her responses and choosing that which was of most benefit. The first thing she did was to push away the anger she felt towards Marius. It was unreasonable, and unjustified. He was ignorant and she could not hold the deeds of their parents against him...

Fact: A hard land bred hard people. Those who were weak could not survive, and thus tended to be weeded out. This could be good... From what she had seen, Marius and his men were not weak. His men, perhaps needed some thorough polishing and sharpening of skill but they were not weak nor very stupid. They could be taught.

A land that was not kind to live in, also brought out the best and the worst of man. Honor was raised in high regard among the civilized, while cunning and cutthroat tactics tended to rule supreme over those lower on the food chain.

Next, she picked up the few details she liked about Marius and focused on them. Allowing what little warmth was left in her to truly shine in her face when she spoke, "A land like this almost makes me believe the legends. Truly, this is a land that whispers of myth." For the first time in se'enight time, she reached out and touched him. Gripping his forearm and meeting his dark gaze she said, "It is an honor to be welcomed into your homeland." And she released his arm, her hand returning to the extra slack of her reigns and resting on her thigh. She continued to look ahead now. Knowing it was pointless to try to have any sort of a real conversation with Marius. He made it clear he didn't want to speak with her beyond trivial matters and polite discourse.

"Will we pass through towns or villages on the way to your palace?" she asked. It was after all important to know if any of his people would see her before they reached Dragonhalle palace itself. Perhaps she ought to wear a dress? Or at least remove the double swords hanging from her belt and stow them out of sight? (At least she didn't have to worry about the rest of her blades which she carefully concealed on her person.) Then again, they expected a Barbarian Bride, perhaps she should just give them what they wanted.

19. Characters in this post:
    Marius had seen the almost painful look on the princess's face when she first caught wind of Dragonhalle and took a drag on her waterskin. He'd expected something like that to happen. It was not a friendly land. And it would take a long time for someone like the princess, who'd come from such a fertile land, to get used to. Marius wouldn't be surprised if she never got used to it.

When she grabbed his arm and spoke to him, he could see a hint of despair in her eyes, despite how well she tried to hide it. He felt so guilty, knowing what this union was taking away from her. He had definitely gotten the better end of this deal. They would be staying in his home, what he was used to. Essentially, his life wouldn't change. Well, except he'd have a wife and if things went as his father planned, he'd be king of all of Stone. The princess had to give up her kingdom, her family, her people, her home. . . Practically everything. For a man she despised.

Dragonhalle wasn't such a bad place to live. . . If you'd been born there and had years to grow accustomed to it. . . If you didn't know anything else. . . It wasn't such a bad place to live if you'd never known the beauty of the ocean or a forest.

Marius looked back out over Dragonhalle when the princess released his gaze. "We shall not be passing through any villages. They all lie north of the castle." There were but few villages in all of Dragonhalle. There were little resources to sustain shrubbery, let alone entire villages. Most were found along the river at the base of the mountains north of Castle Dragonhalle. The villages, that is. There, they have access to water, and are closer to the castle. Nearly every spring would see an abundance of villagers come to beg grain and meat of the king. They can never harvest quite enough to last them through the winter.

"Never fret, princess." Marius knew his words would do nothing to comfort the princess. They were cold and flat. Marius wasn't used to having to deal with women. His own kind of women or warrior women. Of course, he'd dealt with his mother and women of the court, but that was all courtesy, conversation he'd been trained in as a prince. He'd never been taught how to talk to women in normal conversation. He'd never been taught how to talk to women sincerely, always keeping a careful, calculated distance, always keeping emotions out of all discourse.

20. Characters in this post:
    Trulin nodded when he said they would not pass through any villages. That was at least one less thing to consider. Public appearance was important, as Nolita kept pounding into her each night. Even what the men saw at the moment could be detrimental to their goal of presenting a united and happy couple.

"No, its human nature to want to believe in love and happy-endings." Nolita said in a hiss as they sat some distance from the fire one night.

"Its ridiculous! Love is foolishness personified! They should want to see my strength, or child bearing hips or something remotely useful like that!" Trulin muttered angrily.

"Well people are fools then, but you have to stop being so damn cold and get Marius to like you. Smile occasionally in your direction, I don't care what you have to do to get him to, but you have to melt the ice growing between you or we're through! The whole thing capsizes and your honor is destroyed." To which Trulin fell silent.

She had tried to convey to Marius before that they might want to warm up to each other some before they got to his kingdom, apparently that had been the wrong approach. Though she knew of nothing else she could do to make it plainer to him. Perhaps she would simply have to explain it to him in as short and concise a manner as possible. I don't expect its possible for you to ever love me, and it doesn't matter. However, it generally helps when people believe their rulers give a damn about each other. . . Even Olencia put up the appearance of caring deeply for her consort. Perhaps it was even genuine, Trulin had no idea, as she was not privy to such matters in her mother's life. Nor did she wish to be.

"If you cared to deepen your understanding of your future wife and queen, you would know why I asked and that it had nothing to do with fretting." She said quietly, so that it passed no further than Marius' ears. There was neither anger nor any trace of emotion in her words, she said it as if she were merely stating a fact he was unaware of before. Then she fell silent, knowing conversation was pointless with someone so... she stopped before a string of insulting thoughts entered her mind.

21. Characters in this post:
    Shayden had done little in the way of attempting to win over Marius Tiamat. It was obvious the Prince and Princess were having some kind of stand off over most of the journey. Marius seeming to be occupied at nearly all times while Trulin seemed to be biding her time and assessing. Or mumbling with that strange wisewoman, Nolita. He surmised from Trulin's permetual frown and Nolita's exasperated expression that Nolita was probably trying to help her mistress into the ways of Stone and Trulin thought the ways of Stone were ridiculous.

He was becoming more and more certain he wanted to install a maid into Trulin's employ. Someone who would drift in and out without notice and could gather the information he wanted.

Shayden was also forced to wonder if perhaps there was something... Other-way-leaning about Marius. He was going to marry an exotic beauty who would make any man pause and contemplate if the wrath of her blade was worth the possibility of her midnight embrace. If that were the case, he was certain he realized there were certain lengths he was not willing to go to, to obtain access to Marius' inner circle.

22. Characters in this post:
    Marius was taken aback by the princess's words. He turned his head to look at her. "I--That's not what I--I didn't mean anything by that, princess. I. . . " Marius wasn't sure what to say. He turned back, looking straight ahead, silent.

There was no denying that the princess was upset with him. No matter how hard she tried to keep her voice calm and even, he knew she would never say something without a reason. He and the princess were similar in that regard. They tended not to speak without cause.

"I'm sorry, princess," he said, very calculatedly. He supposed it wouldn't hurt to talk with the princess, he would just avoid certain subjects. Maybe if he engaged in what he considered unnecessary discourse, it would satisfy her.

Here's to hoping I don't fuck this up.

"You are right." Good. Good start. "It would be good to get to know each other better before we are to be presented together at the ball." Alright. I don't see anything wrong with that statement. What to say next? "I should have made a better effort throughout the journey." Admitting fault is fine, but be careful not to seem too weak. Ask her about herself. You're supposed to be getting to know her. "Tell me, princess. What is your home like?" Oh, damn. Probably not the best idea. Now she might get homesick. Especially when Dragonhalle is so barren. Shit, shit, shit.

23. Characters in this post:
    Trulin turned to look at Marius, the frown on her face seemed to say, "Really? Thats what you choose to ask me after all this time?” Sighing heavily, she returned her attention to the path before them. “Eptu Mkt sevtar, noit” she muttered, meaning when loosely translated “The men were smarter for one” or “Men didn’t ask stupid questions”, as Ailsan varied greatly by region.

"I was born in the capitol, which when translated would mean the "Emerald Valley"." she said very mildly, as though by wrote. "It is the most lush and beautiful place you could ever lay eyes upon, however I was only there for a few weeks of the year as my duties often required that I frequently traveled throughout the whole of Ailsa." Though it was the most personal they had been since the evening she'd attempted to be friendly with him, there was no warmth in the words. Nothing to make it feel like anything other than a running down of facts.

This is pathetic and pointless... I should ask something back, but what? It doesn't matter. We're both just fufilling our vows of honor, damnit Nolita. What does this accomplish? "Why do they call you the dracosei?" she asked, attempting to ask something relevent. She only knew that it had to do with his abilities as a warrior.

24. Characters in this post:
    The gods damn it! Marius knew that was the wrong question to ask as soon as it left his lips. Luckily, the princess changed the subject. He could get away with not commenting on it again. He'd just try not to ask any specific questions and go off of what the princess gave him. If she mentions something, then it couldn't hurt to bring it up, but otherwise, Marius figured it'd be best not to ask personal questions.

Marius rarely talked about himself, but not because he was opposed to it. He just never felt the need. Besides, most people knew all about him anyway, since he was the prince.

"The dracosei," he said. "Means 'the son of the dragon,' or 'the dragon's son.' It's just another name for the prince. It was said that Dragonhalle once shared it's lands with dragons, and to honor the dragons, the king adopted the name of dragon. Not only was it to show honor to them, but it was to instill fear in the hearts of the enemies. And so, the king is referred to as 'the Dragon' and his son is the dracosei." Marius was a bit surprised that the princess didn't know that. He had never come across someone who didn't know what the dracosei was.

Whatever you do, don't say that.

25. Characters in this post:
    Trulin nodded understanding. "I see..." The silence seemed to stretch out to infinity before her. Endless days and nights spent in silence with the man who robbed her of the thrill of battle, the scent of a land rich with rain and life. "You could fight her! Why are you letting Olencia rob you of your right to the throne?!" Kease's voice echoed in her mind.
    "I will be queen--"
    "But not of Ailsa! What other throne could compare?"

It was true, if she were to rule (which was not in and of itself, an appealing idea) she would want no land but that of her own. This was a sacrifice for honor. Olencia liked to present it as a sacrifice for the good of the people, but Trulin could hardly see these pale faced men as any threat to her people so far across the sea.

When Marius asked nothing else of her, she felt she should try to continue the facade of companionable conversation. However, she didn't really want to get to know him better, there was so little time for it to make a difference. "Do you have any siblings?" It occurred to her that perhaps she ought to know more about him, she might have asked some of the men who came to Ailsa from Dragonhalle about him. She could have even asked those on the boat about him, but she had no desire to speak to strangers about another stranger and so she had not.

26. Characters in this post:
    [[Ok, here's the first post that actually reveals anything about the plan, and about Marius's character. So sorry for taking this long.]]

Marius could tell that the princess did not really care about their conversation. She continued to prod him for information simply because she thought it was what she must do. Marius completely understood; he didn't care much for the conversation either. But, if this union were to work, he would need to be on good terms with the princess. As it stood, the land across the sea was much more powerful than Dragonhalle, and without their alliance, their seizure of the five kingdoms would not work. Sure, it had been rumored that some poor shepherd in the mountains had found a cave with the broken shells of dragon eggs, but that didn't necessarily mean that they had the dragons yet. And, until they had the dragons, Dragonhalle didn't really have any leverage with Ailsa, either.

Perhaps, if they had the allegiance of dragons, Dragonhalle might be able to take the Five Kingdoms, but it was a long shot. It would be easier to take the kingdoms if they had Ailsa at their back.

With the warrior princess by his side, Marius was to rule the Five Kingdoms. This brought him little pleasure. It was his father's plan, after all. Marius wasn't opposed to ruling the Five Kingdoms, Dragonhalle had been planning this take over for centuries. It just would have suited Marius much more if he could have chosen his bride. A pale, fair girl. Docile. Quiet. Obedient. After he became king, Marius sought to right this situation. After all, once they had the kingdoms, they had no further need of the Ailsans, especially with the dragons on their side.

Luckily, Marius had no siblings. No impetuous younger brothers eager to run him through for a chance at the rule of the Five Kingdoms. No sisters to be married off to enemies, unstable alliances that ultimately backfire, allowing the enemy on the inside. "No," Marius said. "No siblings. My father, and his forefathers were all single children. There is no need for more children after the dracosei is born." Marius hoped she didn't ask more about his family. He had been awfully close to revealing that there has never been a female born to the Tiamat line, not since the death of the last dragon. It would have surprised Marius if she didn't pry further. He had practically told her there had only ever been one son born for many centuries. Before she could dig deeper, Marius hastily asked, "And you? Have you any siblings? Tell me of your family."

27. Characters in this post:
    Trulin arched a single brow, the prince seemed eager to change the subject from himself... or perhaps his family... No need for more children after the Dracosei is born... Only sons. It might have bothered her, had she any notion that this man might ever earn the right to her bed. As it were, she was unafraid of that prospect. As far as she was concerned they might never have children. Besides, few men were born in Ailsa, fewer to the royal house. "All the eldest children of the elite warrior houses are raised together. The Cassara, usually with Ma'Kok, Viper, Heslong, Spear and Vine. Occasionally, when other houses rise into positions of promise other children are added. They were the ones I trained with and grew to know. I did not know my mother had another two daughters until I was seventeen summers of age and returned from training in HighCliff, to claim my right to battle for the title of High Cassara."

She spoke possibly more than was necessary, but she cared very little at this point. He hardly seemed be listening as it were, what did it matter if she spoke too much?
    "So, only sons for generations... hmm." she shrugged off the point. "That may or may not matter in the future, Tiamat." she said, simply to point out she was not daft and perfectly understood what he'd done by sweeping that point away. "Union or no, bearing children is not a given. We will see." If you have the will and the strength to earn it.

Behind her she could almost feel Nolita's gaze and disdain at her words, though she knew she spoke quietly enough that none other than she and the prince would hear.

Shayden was a keen observer by nature but it would not have taken so much skill to see the ice hanging in the air between Marius and Trulin. And what fire she was! It was such a pity she would be wasted on one so unappreciative. Then again... An idea formed in the breath and space of a blink in his mind, and he was forced to stifle a healthy chuckle. There was more than one way to poison an alliance, if it turned out to be a threat to Riverstone.

Soon they would enter Dragonhalle Castle, and Shayden had a feeling that the road was not going to afford him any great opportunity to get into Marius' good graces. Perhaps there was something to be done at Dragonhalle... Another staged attack was not the best idea most likely, and he was far from the chatty type of man.... It would take some time, but he was certain he could conquer whatever coldness the man felt for him, either with deed or coin if necessary. . .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 61 to 87 of 87