Login to your account

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC : Ardent

Last edited by Eden; 08-02-2011 at 05:22 PM.

I figure here is a good place, so if someone was curious about the same thing they could already see it's been answered as opposed to you having to say the same thing over again. But anywho~

1. Did you have specific races you'd prefer certain main characters to be?

I am particularly interested in creating a character for either "The Captain" or "The Aeronaut" but I also plan on the character being Elven. It's stated that they are mixed into the population but I wasn't sure if having one as "The Captain" would be acceptable.

2. Will we be starting out the story at port or in the air already?
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Thanks for the interest! And yeah, that's a good idea to post here.

1. I don't have any specific races I'm asking people to be. Tyrisians are probably more likely because Tyrisia has the biggest port, but Kerrians are the second most common, after that Bursians and Aun. A gypsy, elf, or Innate would be very rare, but I won't say no. If you do want to play an elf, I'm pretty happy with that! I will however be unlikely to allow more than two elves (ie, just you and me) because of their rarity. If you do wish to play an elf, there's some behind the scenes info I'd prefer to pass on to you via PMs. I have to say, although they're setting are a bit more complicated to play, I adore playing an elf in this setting. Be warned however (and I can elaborate in PMs) that elves have a unique moral and social system, as well as a modified racial personality that is a legacy of their, er, 18+ past. Mostly this just means that, like in Cas' case, elves have some hang-ups.

As a side note, the Captain is reserved for the player who played the original game's captain. He's actually said he's going to return as the captain so the spot is reserved for him. Sorry! However, there's no reason an elf can't be the aeronaut. You're also free to come up with your own slots, or to have two of one slot.

2. It depends. Last time we started in port, it gave people a chance to get to know each other IC. However I'm open to suggestions and hoping to start the game off with a more interesting method.

Sorry if I rambled! I just wanted to cover all the bases.

Trust me, rambling is the best way to go about it. Feel free to stuff as much information as possible into my brain as you can regarding this game. I even started scribbling down key things in my notebook and so far it looks like Ardent is going to end up with it's own section. Hah~! But, it looks like I was leaning toward Aeronaut by the way I was going with character design anyway. It's really because the way Elves are depicted here that I'm so eager to play one. So there we go, looks like you should be expecting an Elvish Aeronaut profile very soon. I'm just jotting a few notes down and working some ideas out in my mind before I put everything together! Feel free to educate me via PM as I see taking on an elf for a character is going to be some work... I'm eager to get started!!

Very cool! I'll start on that PM. I'm eager to get started too, I've missed this game so badly. On that note, some old fanart that was done of the original game. Inspiration food!

These are by Derloffle:

1 2 3 4 5

By Nautche:

1 2 3

Wow, so I take it this concept must have been pretty popular the last time it was running, huh? I'm not surprised. xD

Alrighty, sent you the information. Curious whether you're thinking of a male or a female elf. Let me know if you're interested in Cas and your elf sharing any sort of background. Cas was a bit notorious among the elves of Cann (the main city in the main nation).

This game sounds very interesting! I just really have to go and run now for real life so I can't stick around to type in a character and read everything through with time. So, could it be possible to reserve a doctor position? I would love to try that out and I'm willing to do research over things if needed to get them as right as possible and so on and so forth. I'd send "character sheet" in for viewing this week, probably on tomorrow already...

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Glad to hear you're interested! I'll be happy to reserve you the spot. Don't worry too much about perfection, but research can definitely help. As far as where medical technology is at, go with what feels right, probably in the ballpark of industrial revolution-type stuff. That's the ballpark, though. You're free to stretch/make things up if you feel the need. The RP is what's most important.

Let me know if you need to bounce any ideas off me.

So I've finally gone through all the information thoroughly and have a few more questions.

Oh and I do plan on making a female, I would love to create some kind of past to add more intrigue but that would be another thing to possibly do in PM (if we plan on making things secret or what not). But I'm not quite at that stage yet... I'll be sure to poke you when I'd like to go over it.

1. Since they grow into adulthood fast, and age slow... I was going to just explain her apparent age as... "Not being birthed too long ago, her appearance is perceived to be around the budding age of a young woman and due to her elven genetics will appear this way for many decades to come." Because like you said before... I want her to be under the age of 20. Does that sound like it makes sense?

2. Is she apart of the original crew? That went out on the first and failed voyage? It's said that there are chances original cast members may possibly be joining up and I wasn't sure if perhaps my character is a new addition to the crew or will my character be incorporated into the past of the story?

Yup, I can describe some parts of Cas' past to you and we can see if anything might match up.

1. That works perfectly fine. It's not generally well known that elves grow up as fast as they do, or have as long lives as they do. Describing her as appearing twenty or so in one way or another is perfectly fine, and the way you've written it out works nicely.

2. It's up to you whether she was part of the original crew. If she was, she was not a "main character" and so wasn't the head pilot or anything (which Cain was) and has in the two years since distinguished herself as an amazing pilot. Word of warning, Cain was a total pig. You can also come up with a completely separate backstory and have her have joined in the last 2 years or so. Whichever works for you. The ship has multiple pilots (as well as multiple gunners, doctors, mechanics, etc), so having been a pilot at that time is perfectly acceptable.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Though, thinking on it a bit more, since your character is an elf I would suggest having her be a new crew member for the following reasons because before the very recent dispersal of elven communities, elves outside their communities were *extremely* rare. It also means less retconning work for you, more freedom for your bio.

Can I just peek in and say that I love the images you have posted and used in the roleplay? They're amazingly well done! Having that said, I might follow this roleplay but not join it as I'm not that good yet.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Quote Originally Posted by Brook V View Post
    Can I just peek in and say that I love the images you have posted and used in the roleplay? They're amazingly well done! Having that said, I might follow this roleplay but not join it as I'm not that good yet.
    Thank you! That's very nice of you. You can always join as minor characters if you're uncomfortable with RP obligations/being the center of a plot just yet.

Alright, thanks! That really helps! Having her be a newbie does give me some freedom. Of course I'm going to give her a good amount of skill and a colorful personality, enough to get her noticed to join crew on a ship like The Ardent. Once I got a solid bio/history I will PM that section to you just so I know it doesn't leave any strange loopholes and stuff like that. c:

Yup, you are perfectly entitled and even encouraged to have her be a very, very skilled pilot. And sure!

Also, damn my cats! I keep trying to do the sheets on the bed and they just want to get up in there and between the sheets!

My poor cat Hugo is being bullied by my cat Chloe right now. D: She has a litter of now month old kittens and for the first time Hugo went in and actually saw then and Chloe chased him out of the house! He finally came back and now he is hiding upstairs with me... poor guy.

Oh and another question! I was examining the map you laid out because I was trying to decide what city my character would be from, it seems that Cann is not residential so I was wondering if I could just pick an area off the map... like perhaps Athlas?

(I have a bigger version of the map by the way if you need)

Not sure why Cann doesn't seem residential, it is (do let me know why you thought that so I can correct it). I should probably add some information about Cann since it's sort of the starting area. Long story short, it's a HUGE city carved out of an entire mountain, with some rock-crafting involved as well. Everything from the Tyrisian palace to massive slums are there. There's also *one* mansion where the elves were based, it's not the only place an elf could be from but if your elf is from Cann chances are they lived in the mansion there. That's where Cas is from.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Also, poor kitty! We have our own cat who is a little borked (he has cerebellar hypoplasia) and the other cat likes to hold him still and lick him. He also likes to charge at him and knock him over, jump over him, startle him, etc. Weebly falls over like a turtle when he's startled. xD

I keyed in on, "Wars, assassinations, diplomacies and pacts are negotiated within its walls." And focused on that I think, assuming it to be a city that was strictly business. But o0o maybe that can be helpful to putting a past together between the two. I am just completing my first draft of her profile and I'd like you to give it a look over... mainly to see if it has any noticeable problems with it but also if anything gives you any good ideas for a past between Cas and her.

I'd love to give it a lookie over. And hehe yeah I'll try to think of ideas.

Had a couple edits I forgot to make and tweaked it a little bit so it's all ready for you to check out when you have the time. c:

*excitement* Now the waiting is going to kill me.

Oh, if you haven't already noted in your bio, is she one of the ones trained in murdery goodness, or one of the nicer ones?

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Oh cool! I can do that now.

*sips bubble tea and reads*

I accidentally wrote buttle tea, hehe.

You know everyone talks about buttle bubble tea, and how great it is. What is it?

And... I want to say she isn't the MOST skilled in battle, she can handle herself but her skill lies more in the books than anywhere else. She will fight, and like most has sensitive areas that can trigger her temper but I want to play her as less aggressive than say... someone like Cas.

I love the bio! Approved!

Yeah, since she's not one of THE fighters, she would at least be second to say the captain or one of the assassins (if there are more). But it is definitely acceptable that she's a damned good fighter, especially considering her background. Darn elves!

How old is she, and how old was she when she left the mansion? Cas left when she was about four, so if Deryn has lived in the mansion before then she'd probably know Cas (very small communities). If she has stayed in contact with people in the mansion since then she would probably know Cas committed a very bad crime and is supposed to be killed on sight. Up to you how Deryn would react to that.

Finally, a reminder that the mansion in Cann had a lethal show down with the crown prince's troops and dispersed, so it's up to you what happened to Deryn's family there. Doesn't need to go in the bio or anything, just something to think about.

The bio is great as is. Welcome aboard.

I will likely be leaving it up to the players when we start, but I'd want at least 3 spots filled other than the captain before officially beginning the game (preferrably, the majority of the slots). What's your preference?

Of course players are always free to RP with each other in the locations before the ship is finished being repaired and takes off.

Yay! I'm accepted~!

I want to say probably around the same age or so, about 5 when she left and taking into consideration the amount of time she spent educating herself I'd say she would be 9 or 10 right now. How old is Cas? And hm... would you be opposed to a possible friendship prior to her crime but due to the severity of the crime Deryn isn't so friendly to Cas when reuniting with her but possibly has inner battles on how she feels?

My opinion the subject... I'd say go for trying to get at least another spot filled before we start anything. Could give us some time to work out some side stuff anyway.

I was reading back over my first posts with her and I realized she was older than I thought. Whoops. For story's sake I'll just say they're about the same age and that Cas is the younger one. Up to you which of them left the mansion first (if it was Deryn, it may have put the idea of leaving into Cas' head).

That's fine, Cas was a bit friendlier back home and with elves. She may dislike humans but she's still, well...a living thing. I guess I can't say she's human. xD If it helps you figure out the specifics of what Deryn thinks of her, the specific nature of her crime...well, I'll detail it in a PM to ya.

The gears are turning in my head... and I sent you a PM regarding some more background stuff. Oh man this is gonna be good!!

: D

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

I'm trying to figure out if I should add any more areas on the Ardent. The original game just had one thread for the whole thing so it never really occurred to me. Maybe I should add the captain's quarters (which'd include a sort of general tactical area), but other than that I don't know. I can always add more areas as needed.

Yeah, just think back to the first generation and where a lot of the interactions took place... and put those main one downs, if more come along and come to mind you can always add more or we could suggest some to you. As for now it seems sufficient.

Yay, then!

Also, welcome to a91nicole, who I'll be doing a private 1x1 with. You may occasionally cross paths with them or see the effects of their actions, or vice versa.

Welcome~!