Login to your account

Thread: Basic slice-of-life RP

Basic slice-of-life RP

I don't know if I am personally up for making one since just started Generation 2, but we could have a use for basic sort of game without any historical or fictional things to it... Modern day, modern problems - maybe just a bit of twist where different aged and backgrounded people could meet. I noticed that the character pool is full of RPless characters specifically made for such a game (and I'd enjoy playing one myself as well). I tried to search for it too but didn't come across anything (or I just fail with searching in here).

Ideas, suggestions, one excisting?

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

I would be interested. My game is running at a slower pace than I expected and I doubt that I'd find anyone interested (at the moment) in the other game I have written for later playing.

A slice-of-life game might be something I could keep up with if my other game started getting busy.

Were you thinking small town, small city or big city? And in a real life country or a fictional sort of "general or fictional" country?
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

I think it might be better to go with a fictional place since it's slightly easier to play and we could bring in cultural elements from all around the world into it as we want to.

I haven't thought at all about the size of the game, though. In cities it's easier to bring characters to the game and make them leave too, but it feels sometimes forced to make the players meet. Also more different sort of things could be attached to it but gossip drama is lesser. Hmmmh. What do you prefer?

There could be some bigger event or such coming up to help to start the game. Big circus, some super popular artist having a show, final matches of some contest...

I like the idea of a fictional place in a generalized country. Perhaps a city in the very "near future" where the only difference between it and the current world is that several countries banded together to build a floating island country that gets stationed different places every few years.

If that's a bit too sci-fi, then we'll just be non-specific about what country it takes place other than it's a very multi-cultural place somewhere with all four seasons.

I'm happy with either solution. <s>

In whichever the case may be, perhaps the game itself takes place in a smaller community on the edge of a big city. One of the 'satellite' cities of a big metropolis. That should give us the balance of a small community life with the options of big city adventures.

I like the idea of starting with a big event, whether that big event be in the city itself or is the smaller location's celebration of a local holiday or entertainment event.
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

I am worried with the floating option thing, that people start get going a bit too sci-fi about everything then.
    We could place some large, fictional international airport on the place and also make it a dock city. That sort of things add to multiculturality without a doubt with foreign workers and all that. The four seasons thing next to a sea is just a slightly off, so it could be narrow bay coming to the inner country.

Ooh, satellite city is a natural solution! Problem solved. ^__^

The last thing is how to present the whole RP as. Saying "normal life RP" doesn't really let imagination any fuel. I was wondering if giving the game real year rotation related goals could help a bit. For example all high schoolers would have to practice a christmas show for their parents and relatives to see. After christmas is over, we'd wrap it up and lock it leaving it still visible under "events" location. Does that sound silly? ^^''

I would be interested in your slice-of-life roleplay. My life has a enough drama (and knowing about other people's drama) that I'm sure would convert well to a roleplay setting. It would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gess Jahd View Post

Ooh, satellite city is a natural solution! Problem solved. ^__^

The last thing is how to present the whole RP as. Saying "normal life RP" doesn't really let imagination any fuel. I was wondering if giving the game real year rotation related goals could help a bit. For example all high schoolers would have to practice a christmas show for their parents and relatives to see. After christmas is over, we'd wrap it up and lock it leaving it still visible under "events" location. Does that sound silly? ^^''
    Your idea sounds awesome, by the way.
    Beautiful are the stars in your eyes and the fruitful tree of your heart.

May I be a peach of your hanging branch?

Welcome aboard then! ^^

Ahh, good then. As long as it gives the little extra to the game play. ^^

I'd say we could already set up this game to the group RPs. Last thing is that what should the RP be called? Just the place's name would be good, but I'm open for any suggestions about it since I can't come up with anything that doesn't sound too cliché.

EDIT: I'll set up this RP probably this evening. I will let you know where to find it when I'm done.

EDIT 2: It's up with the name New Heather River.
    Last edited by Gess Jahd; 07-13-2011 at 06:48 PM.