Login to your account

Thread: Greetings to all!

Greetings to all!

I just joined after saw an "advertisement" about this place in my mailbox. Still looking around and trying to figure out this place but I think I'll survive.

I've always roleplayed and I like to think that I've also done progress during these years. I play almost any kind of an RP if it has long time plot included - one that allows creating new goals and characters to the game. Pure pairing of characters and such isn't my cup of tea at all.

My English isn't perfect because I'm a foreigner but I promise to always do my best with it! The people who I've RP'd with also have said that it doesn't have an effect on playing with me. ^^'

Anything you'd like to know?

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Welcome Welcome Welcome Gess!
    It's a pretty easy place to figure out, and if you have any questions I'm still fairly new but have poked my nose in almost everything so I'd be able to help if you need it. Take some time to look around, we've got a wide range of different genre games around here that range from beginner to intermediate! If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never known! Your English is even better than some people I know who were born in the US. xD

Hmm... what I'd like to know about you... hmm... what is your favorite genre?
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

*opens a bag of cookies* Eat one...they're good.

Welcome to the forum and don't be scared. We're all super nice...IN THE DAYLIGHT.

Gaining a Reputation Michael Cra's Avatar
    MUWAHAHAHA *tackles Cole and steals the cookies* i'm not in the daylight!!

Naw but welcome to the Site Gess feel free to talk on the forums and make a few characters join a few games even make your own if you have a good idea for a RP you want to share ^_^. The site can be a little tricky at first but just like a Original Xbox controller it looks complicated and scary but it just takes a minute to get used too.

Why must you make references to the Xbox controller?

The Nintendo 64 controller is so much better.

Gaining a Reputation Michael Cra's Avatar
    Ohh yeah your right sorry that's a better example also didn't make your hands cramp at first either, that was just the first thing i thought of.

I dunno, I think the Xbox controller probably is a good one. It depends on the "size of your hands" how much it makes you cramp at first. For some people here, the adjustment is a little more difficult than for others. But hopefully not painful. D:

In any case, welcome to WTF RPG, Gess, Jahd. XD I'm glad you followed the email on over here and liked what you saw enough to sign up. :3 If you need any help finding your way around, either I or the other users will be happy to help you out. :3 (But if you post often around the same time you posted today, I may not be awake yet. ::laughs:: )

Don't worry about your English. :3 It's very good and probably all we'll need to think about is colloquialisms that don't translate well. :3
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Thank you all for welcoming me so warmly.

Schizophrenic: Thank you!
    The only problem is that I don't know in what level to place myself. I don't think I am completely hopeless but my writing style could do quite a bit of improving. Someone should evaluate me, haha.
    You also asked the hard question right in the beginning! I have played a lot of fantasy and also sci-fi. Both of those are genres close to my heart but I like trying out new things.
    I tried to have a cliche western themed RP on one other site but it never got players. I am interested in trying again with it in here, since I got so excited about it by myself!

APBCole: You should know, that my second name is "Cookiemonster"... *stuffs mouth full of cookies*
    Good that I'm not usually online during your night time!

Michael Cra: I've never had Xbox. The little I've played with it was tricky since I kept tossing granades by accident on my friend...

Maneki Neko: Ahh, yes... I can understand the English ones mostly without a problem but sometimes use ones typical to my first language. People have sent me back quite puzzled messages after some of them... "How do you mean it costs strawberries?" "Cow in a trench? What??" I'll try to avoid confusing people with them.

Yay! Another non-english guy o/
    I'm French o/ Welcome here and have fun!

Hahah, thank you and nice to meet you!
    I'm just about to start looking through the excisting roleplays.

Oooh. I wonder about "it costs strawberries". It sounds cute! "Cow in a trench" sounds like it's something about being troublesome, maybe?

I actually enjoy learning new colloquialisms. xD Aussie and British ones are usually as understandable as American ones (for semi-obvious reasons), and many of my otherwise international friends avoid using colloquialisms from their own language, so I don't get to learn as many anymore. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I have problem with taking my idioms (sp?) from my language and put it into another language (English that is). I've found some English idioms that means almost the same... I think. There's a site for English idioms I stumbled upon. I'll see if I can find it.

Btw welcome! Although you arrived before me. :P

... also, "It cost strawberries" and "cow in a trench" is unfailair to be although I'm from Scandenavia.
    Last edited by Brook V; 06-28-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Sometimes they don't make much sense translated into English. xD Even if you don't need to know any cultural details to understand it. xD It's just a problem with English sometimes not having enough of the right sort of words that would convey the proper emotion or thought. "Essence" words, I suppose?

To use a (not real) example (because I can't remember any of these I've read explanations for)..... It would be like an expression that in English when translated directly became, "And squirrels do too." But in the original language, perhaps there is a word that means "the feeling of being watched by someone who is hungry", so the feeling of the phrase actually means something more like, "And squirrels are also the sort to watch people with hungry eyes like you are using on me now." Which isn't as elegant. :B
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Maneki Neko: When something costs strawberries, it's very expensive. And the whole cow saying goes "Own cow in the trench". It means that you are doing something nice for someone else only because it will bring something good for you.
    I like hearing these too! Usually they bring up very clever word plays and such. ^^

Brook V: You'll pick them up without noticing when talking and I've found at least for my own language many sites that match up the same meaning English equivalents witht the sayings I use - there must be those for your mother tongue too.

Well, Finnish is not the same language family as other fennoscandinavian languages. We do have many same sounding words and same sayings as Swedish does, though. It must come from the times when Finland was a part of Sweden and also from that Swedish is still another official language of Finland even when spoken only by minority.

Thank you!

Yeah I agree. Lost in translation kind of like.

Thank you for explaining those to me! I may need to use "it costs strawberries" because it is one of the cutest expressions I've ever heard. xD Do they still cost a lot now where you live, or is it a slightly outdated phrase? (It would make perfect sense for strawberries to be quite expensive treats even a few decades ago, but I wonder if they might be more commonly available now.)

This is just idle curiosity, of course! You don't have to humor me. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Well, we can grow strawberries in here, we have wild ones too, but I'm not sure how long it's been that way.
    Finnish people have gone through rough times in the not-so-far-away-history so it might be where it comes from. All delicacies being hard to get.
    On the other hand, strawberries are still ridiculously expencive in the beginning of the summer because there is only limited amount of them and people crave for having some.

By the way, WTF RPG logs you off a bit too fast unless you check the "remember me" box. I usually forget to.

I'll see about asking about how to extend the time before it logs you off. ^^ I always click "remember me" on sites because I have my own computer, but not all people access the site through personal computers. :3

I wasn't sure what the weather would be like to give people in Finland strawberries. xD I knew they grew loads in Germany, and an English friend of mine always looks down her nose at strawberries from other countries (Spain and America, mainly) because they're supposedly not as good as English strawberries, but I don't get to speak very often with people living in your area of Europe, so beyond knowing this and that, I don't know as much as I'd like to. :3 Thank you for explaining even more. :3 I appreciate it. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I use always a shared computer for internet, so that'd be nice. ^^

I heard from my dad who was in Canada for couple of months that North American strawberries are big but don't taste much. Ours aren't a bit sharp tasting but sweet too. Oh man, I really crave for strawberries with pancakes and ice cream now...

No problem at all. I'm glad about being able to help with your questions.

That's what I hear - that North American strawberries are large, but don't have a strong taste. xD I think it may depend on the "breed" of strawberries you buy. The small ones are nice and tart and sweet and the big ones are sweet only if you sprinkle them with a little sugar. xD The big ones are cheaper, if I remember correctly. xD;
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin