Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the last book you read, and what's your current read?

What was the last book you read, and what's your current read?

Just like it says~

What was the last book you read, and how did you like it?

What book are you currently reading, and how are you liking it?

Me, the last book I read was War Thorn, by JM Snyder, which I didn't like as much as the previous books I read from her, but it wasn't bad at all. And I'm currently reading Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, which is... going a bit slow, so I'm not too enthusiast about it.

What about you? What book are you currently into? Or even really looking forward to reading next?

(ooc)

I just finished rereading "My Name is Asher Lev" by Chaim Potok. It's an amazing book, I can't recommend it highly enough. It centers around the emotional conflict of an Orthodox Jewish artist who struggles to decide between his family and his craft during the height of antisemitism in Europe.. Even if you don't paint and aren't Jewish, it's a story that can appeal to a wide variety of people.

Currently, I'm reading "The Fall of the House of Walworth" by Geoffrey O'Brien. It's nonfiction, following the aftermath of the 1873 Walworth parricide trial. A bit dark and moving slowly so far, but it's an interesting read.

Tahiel -- I've always loved Pillars, it does improve. Follett is really a stunning author.

Knerd -- I've never read Asher Lev, but will definitely have to pick it up. Sounds really good.

I just finished three (I'm sort of an obsessive reader). All three were really fantastic. I just read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers which was a fascinating and compelling read. I really loved it. I also recently finished The Emperor of all Maladies, which is one I definitely recommend.

For fiction, I've just finished Middlesex (again). It is definitely one of my favorite books of all time.
    "I know we'll imprint Whiskey with the Tenth Doctor!"
    "And then my brain will implode."
    "Yes, but we will have saved the world."

Ooo, Middlesex is lovely. I'm glad you reminded me about it, that's a novel that I should probably reread at some point in the near future. I have it sitting somewhere on a shelf in my parents' house, just waiting to be rescued.

It's definitely one of the best. I'm so excited to read his new novel, The Marriage Plot. It's coming out this fall.
    "I know we'll imprint Whiskey with the Tenth Doctor!"
    "And then my brain will implode."
    "Yes, but we will have saved the world."

Yes, Pillars was highly recommended to me, it's just slow at the moment and I get lazy when long books start slow. Hehe. Afterward when I discover I really like them I read them all in no time and wonder what took me so long. :P

I haven't read any of the others mentioned, but I will have a look around~

(ooc)

Hmm... I'm not sure how to answer the question. ::laughs:: When I'm not feeling well or I want to read in the bathtub, I generally end up re-reading books I have read before. So I don't know if it "counts" if I've re-read something. xD

I'm currently reading Jane Austen's "Emma" for the first time.
    I've read every other novel length work of hers (even "Lady Susan", what of it there is), but never Emma. I've been working on it for months, because I've been so busy with WTF RPG behind the scenes, I've not felt like I can spend hours in the tub reading as I normally would. (That and my book is a collection of all of her novels, and it's heavy, so I don't tend to read more than one or two chapters before I have to put it aside or drop it.) I think my thing with Emma is having seen the movies based on it, and there being a scene or two in it that make me cringe and have a dislike for Emma as a character because of them. I'm determined to read it and make up my mind based on the actual text, but it's still slow-going.

The literal most-recent book I've read (and completed) is "Evil Genius" by Catharine Jinks.
    I took that with me on my trip to Florida because I hadn't read it for awhile. I ended up reading almost the entire novel on the trip down there. xD; It has an interesting story and I think that in spite of how little sleep I'd gotten the night before, I caught a lot more of the character personalities than I had the first time around. I'm not saying it's something you study and ponder, but it's a fun read and I'm really interested in hunting down the sequels.

The last "new" book I read... hm... I'm not sure which one it was. It was either "Cloaked" by Alex Flinn or "If I Were an Evil Overlord" which is a multi-author short stories book.
    Having spent most of my childhood in Germany and touring Europe as a child and seeing loads of castles and going to a fairy tale theme park while there, there's something about fairy tales I love. And fairy tale retellings can be a great deal of fun. The way Alex Flinn does it is interesting and perhaps if I were a young teenager I'd appreciate and enjoy them more. (There are bits that are really clever or funny and then there are bits where you're obviously supposed to like the characters, but make me want to smack some manners/sense into them.) And of course in a book of short stories, there are some that are really fantastic and then there are some where you just sort of nod and move on from. There was one in particular that really struck me as interesting. An evil overlord was putting his son through his paces to see if he could take over his mantle as the new evil overlord. A few others were also quite good, but that's the one that I remember off the top of my head.

(I write too much, sorry. >_>; )
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

>.> I normally have three or more books going at any one time. Over audio, I just finished "Demons Don't Dream" and moved on to "Harpy Thyme". I read those in paper back as a child and listening to them is a fun change of pace. The most recent physical book I finished was the thirs book of the Brtimeaus trilogy (the name of the book escapes me and I might have misspelled the Demon's name) and next up on my physical book list (starting tonight) Is Darke, book six of the Septimus Heap series. I love all of the above for widely varying reasons.

I usually read multiple books at the same time, since I'm a multitasker from heart.

Currently reading mainly "Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien and "I Captured The Castle" by Dodie Smith.
    It's the second time I'm going through Tolkien's books since I was very young when I last time read them and can't remember pretty much anything. Smith's book I found from library by coincidence and since I believe in the power of coincidence, picked it up with me. It's been proven to be interesting so far.

Last books I read (since I read a lot) were "Inkheart" by Cornelia Funke (it was slightly disappointing to be honest) and "P.S. I love you" by Cecelia Ahern (was über syrupey yet oddly entertaining).

I have pile of books waiting for me and some are distance loans too but reading is awesome and I like having some challenge.

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Humble Farmer With a Sword Petrichora's Avatar
    I can't remember the last book I actually finished. I think it was probably Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I liked it, but it was kind of a disappointing end.

I'm currently reading Chasing the Bard by Philippa Ballantine and The String of Pearls, which I can't remember the author of. Chasing the Bard is something about Shakespeare. I haven't really gotten that far into it, but I like it. The String of Pearls is about Sweeney Todd. It's pretty good.
    While I was waiting. . . I ate your lunch.

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    I've read Wounderous Strange.
    I forgot the author, but it was a lovely book. ^w^
    I'm not reading anything right now. I went through all of my reading materials...

The last book I read was "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. It was way better than I thought it would be. Right now, I'm struggling to get through "The Black Tattoo" by Sam Enthoven. Can't say I like it all that much. I'm also gearing up to re-read all my Harry Potter books before the final movie comes out.

sooo many books I don't know. I will have to check them all. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Gess Jahd View Post
    "I Captured The Castle" by Dodie Smith.
    Oh this one! I saw the movie and loved it, so I wanted to get the book, too. How was/is it??

(ooc)

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nanaki's Avatar
    Last book I read was "Girl Interrupted" by Susanna Kaysen. My English teacher recommended it and I thought it was pretty amazing.

I'm about to start the "Pretty Little Liars" series by Sara Shepard and thinking about buying and rereading "Perks of Being a Wall Flower" by Stephen Chbosky all of these books were also suggested/given to me by my epic English teacher.
    Most people see the world as right side up, I prefer the left side.

"Don't worry, you'll like denial... it tastes like bacon" The quote that made me fear for my sanity...

I think my psyche's broken!

This just got two steps too freaky...

If you ever find a genie, wish for more genies, not more wishes. Wish to nullify the rules, and never, ever, wish your characters to life. It'll end bad... trust me.

Last book I remember reading is "The Shadow Queen" or something like that it's part of a Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop. It was interesting enough for me to want to read others of the series and thus ended up buying book one of it all. I just hope it's a good one... I haven't gotten around to reading it yet... too easily distracted to read right now.

I'm currently reading "Daughter Of The Forest" by Juliet Marillier... seems interesting so far but I'm only a few pages into it. Haven't even made it to the second chapter before I get distracted. It was one of the random books I liked the title of it and the look of the spine cover and thus read the flap inside and it caught my interest. I'm really bad at judging books by their titles and spine cover but it's lead me to some interesting books and authors that I probably wouldn't have picked up unless recommended to me.
    Want to rp? Send me a PM!

Story of Us a small town slice of fantasy life.
    Shichiyou Academy is Adult Rated School.

Oh! I loooooooove the Black Jewels Trilogy. The Sadiablo family rocks. <3 I went ahead and bought most of the books of the series (because the trilogy is the main one, then it has like 4 more books with side stories/sequels), but I'm still missing some. I really enjoy Bishop's way of writing though.

And Girl Interrupted is definitely on my list to read someday.

(ooc)

Finished up John Dies At the End by David Wong a couple weeks ago, and some trashy adult book, haha. Going through Suttree by Cormac McCarthy and King Rat by James Clavell right now. Later on I think I'll dig into A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar
    Last book was "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte, and my current read is the novelization of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen by Alan Dean Foster. :3 That is all.

It's been AGES since I read Jane Eyre! Never been big on reading movies turned into books, lol just not my thing.
    Let's see, I just finishes Zombie lover and the last book in the bartimaeus trilogy. Started up the next xanth book (Xone of Contention, I think.) and started up Crane's book in the 5 ancestors series and rereading the first of the hunger games books (I am failing at remembering their names atm, sorry)

Reoccurring NPC S h i n ` K ! S S E S's Avatar
    The last book I read was 'Waking the Witch' by Kelly Armstrong. It was really neat because it was centered on a character who had been present as a child in many of her other books, but now she is grown up and the main character. ^^

Before that, it was probably something by Tamora Pierce. I absolutely love the woman's 'Tortall' series, it is my favourite fantasy setting ever I think. Her characters are just so likeable! And whenever I don't have anything else to read, I reread her books.

I'm a huge fan of Tamora Pierce's work too! I got her to sign Terrier two years ago when she was doing signings at a convention. :3
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Reoccurring NPC S h i n ` K ! S S E S's Avatar
    I'm so jealous! I'd love to meet her. I own almost all of the Tortall books. <3

I'm not as big a fan of the Circle books, although I like them as well.

I am sooooo sick of waiting for Mastiff to come out. >.<
    Soon though! I can pre-order it from Chapters now at least. :3

I usually read between 1-4 books a day, depending on how busy I am at work and how much time I have at night. (I work in a job where half the time I am sitting in a lab waiting for samples to run- that gives me time to read). Today I finished Heartless by Gail Carriger and now I am reading Einstein's Refrigerator: And Other Stories from the Flip Side of History. I have rather eclectic reading tastes. I should finish Einstein's Refrigerator soon and I think after that I am going to read Baby Codes: 101 Winning Combinations to Help Your Baby Sleep by Kevin Mills.

Then for fun I might re-read the Dresden Files books before the next one is released next week.

I abuse my Kindle, but love it so very much. I usually go through the free books on Kindle about once a week just to get new things to read and not spend stupid amounts of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post

Then for fun I might re-read the Dresden Files books before the next one is released next week.

Dresdin fan win! Have you read any of his other books? I've already read the preview for the new book xp

Reoccurring NPC
    Last book I read was 'The Throne of Fire' From the Kane Chronicles series, by Rick Riordan. I do really enjoy these types of books even if they are meant for a bit younger audience than myself.

Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. A awesome book to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
    though with the way he talks about food, it makes you hungry. So, never read this book if you are hungry at any given time. You just might eat the pages.

but it worth the read. it is the second novel and just recently came out a couple months ago. If you are guna start somewhere, get Name of the Wind. Wonderful wonderful books.
    Updates Mondays

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    Dresdin fan win! Have you read any of his other books? I've already read the preview for the new book xp
    I've tried to read his Codex Alera Fantasy series, but it didn't do much for me. I actually got to hang out with him at dinner last year at Dragon*Con. He's a really nice guy. I am really looking forward to the next Dresden book. I will go and look for the preview of the new book despite the fact it will just make me more impatient. *chuckle

I'm a Library addict I go there and its like crack.(sooo many good things)
    I can't wait for the new Dresden files book
    http://naristar.deviantart.com/favou...t=120#/d2ndb7t
    (my basic response to the last one)
    Right now I just finished Dragon song of Pern By Anne McCaffrey and Darkangel by Meredith Ann Peirce.
    Right now I'm reading 4 books.
    Dragon Singer by Anne McCaffrey
    Gathering of Gargoyles by Meredith Ann Peirce
    A Bad Spell In Yurt by C. Dale Brittain
    Zombie loan(its a manga by peach-pit)

Lmao you compared Dresden to macaroni. Hmm, I loved the Alera series my self, but if Dresden is macaroni and cheese, Alera is soft serve ice cream with some weird toppings.
    That response was to the last full book, right? Not the short story compilation?

I remember the pern books, I haven't read one of those in years.
    I've caught up on my Xanth books and I'm rereading the Disc World books by Terry Pratchet along with rereading Stardust by ummm gosh I know his name >.< Neil Gaimen or Geimen or some such.

Gaiman* -jumps into conversation- x-x

I just finished reading Stardust a bit ago. I didn't mind it, but oddly, I think I liked the movie more. ^.^;;

Another book I finished recently was Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs. A sequel to an anthology containing the Alpha and Omega Series opening story. I find, like all of Patricia Brigg's Urban Fantasy series, it was tasteful and worthy of an audience, despite the fact that they are some of the easier books for me to put down when I want to sleep. I'm currently in the midst of reading Blood Bound form her Mercy Thompson Series and Hunting Ground (the sequel to Cry Wolf) as well as The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix and The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, both of which I would recommend for fantasy readers.