Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the WTF community together! Let's breathe some life back into this place!!

Bringing the WTF community together! Let's breathe some life back into this place!!

Now, I've got to be honest. I just thought of this... maybe only a few seconds ago. So I'm not spewing with ideas at the moment, it's just late and I want to bring this up.

We all know the site has significantly slowed down.
    But I have noticed an array of new users signing up.
    And I have noticed we have a good amount of regulars who come on every day, who are committed to this site!

Yet, most of us lurk.
    Not many games get enough attention to actually move forward.
    A large amount of games have recently closed, become abandoned or have come to a halt.

So let me propose this...

Anyone who feels like they could add another game to their roster, meet here with others just like you!

We can discuss, brainstorm, or just shout random ideas into the air.

((Instead of putting hours and hours of effort into creating countless other advert threads that frankly, seem to fall on deaf ears. No matter how great the idea.))

So everyone! Now is the time to step out of your comfort zone of roleplaying with the same few people, or sticking to one x one, or hiding in the safety of the shadows and break out!!

Let's breathe some life back into this place!!
    Because let's face us, it's a responsibility that has fallen on our shoulders.

Hmm... how can I make this easier for the more socially awkward? Questions! Yes! Everyone loves questions!

• What are you craving? Tell us!
    • Have any images that have inspired you but you have no idea how to use them? Post them for us to take a look at!
    • Are there any games you've taken part in on this site that have been closed, or died that you wish were still open for posting? What is it you miss about them?

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

EDIT:

By no means am I trying to say that advertising and recruitment threads or one x one search threads are useless, I am just saying that those follow the general formula of throwing your ideas out there and waiting patiently for someone to come along.

Here, it is more like an active place to discuss ideas, cravings, and what you'd like to see with other people. Talking things out, getting real feedback, sparking ideas from the ideas of other people... and so on.
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 05-20-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

I've been working on an Assassins creed RP if anyone wants to help, figured maybe trying something popular would help lure people out of their hiding places
    Friendly Neighbourhood Gunsligner
    'Tag...you're it...*shoots*'

Hey hey! Mai here. I was just thinking (literally), of making a full-out Pokemon universe roleplay. Possibly mashing up all of the known Poke-worlds or something. XD Anyway, I'll think some more on it, and if anyone's interested, message me?

I WOULD like to get back into RPing... as of right now, I'm only in one RP on this site with a friend of mine. I'll be looking around to see what I can do to add some spice to the place. Peace out for now!

Quote Originally Posted by nero123 View Post
    I've been working on an Assassins creed RP if anyone wants to help, figured maybe trying something popular would help lure people out of their hiding places

Were you thinking of making an officially related Assassins Creed RP or were you thinking of making a game based off of the same ideas, like an adaptation?

I only ask because I know some people shy away from things that are tied directly to the plot of games because those who haven't played the game shy away from it because they don't know much about it. Even when it is a genre or plot they would normally be interested in.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinMaiden View Post
    Hey hey! Mai here. I was just thinking (literally), of making a full-out Pokemon universe roleplay. Possibly mashing up all of the known Poke-worlds or something. XD Anyway, I'll think some more on it, and if anyone's interested, message me?

I WOULD like to get back into RPing... as of right now, I'm only in one RP on this site with a friend of mine. I'll be looking around to see what I can do to add some spice to the place. Peace out for now!
    This is something I have heard being discussed around here in the past... but never really got anywhere. Pokemon is really popular, and in my opinion LOADS OF FUN to roleplay. I personally have been in a few, and think that they have a lot of potential if done right.

Yeah, it would take some thought on how to do the Pokemon RP... I'd personally want to figure out how to work it all out using WTFRPG's world-building and character options, you know? Like, really bring out that sort of potential, if that makes sense.

So if anyone would want to help me plan, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

I would love to see some high quality, yet super silly Magical Girls/Anime style fun. Silly monsters, silly powers, old school air-head bimbos.

I think, if this place was more... active, I would probably come back and spend my usual amount of hours on here. But, due to the lull and the monotony, I've found myself frequenting other sites that are more active and have a wider array of partners to pick from. I find the same old, same old to be getting a little dry and dull. And, I would create my own roleplays, but it's not even worth it. You spend hours making something for what? One person to have an interest? It's just not worth the effort, in my opinion.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

It's sad, but true. It's the reason I have been trying to brainstorm ideas to jump start the community. Because like I said, I see a steady stream of new users and we have a solid group of regulars, and still this place has fallen into a lull.

That's why I want to hear directly from the community, what does everyone want?

@Utopia - You know, I love when someone takes a whack at comedy. Not everything has to be intense, serious and dramatic... but at the same time, I wonder how many people share the same opinion.

Well, until people pipe up ideas, I have some roleplays in motion on another site. If anyone wants me to make a version of it over here, I would be more than willing to do so. The stories are...

NINJAS: Clash of the Warring Nations; This one is pretty much set in the Naruto Universe because I'm too lazy to actually remake a place, clans, powers, etc. Only, I don't want to see Naruto and such in the story. All original characters. Probably 300 years after the series and stuff. - Link
    > SUPERHEROES; Pretty self explanatory. This one, obviously, revolves around heroes and villains and the battle for the fate of the world. It's set WAY in the future when cars can fly and people can communicate via chips in their minds. And, as expected, some thugs wanna get their hands on the greatest technology of the time and unleash hell on the Earth, forcing people to succumb to their desires and might. - Link
    ELEMENTAL BENDERS; I'm on a role with awesome names, aren't I? Anyway, this one is like A:tLA, but it's, again, original. Rather than being limited to the four elements, this is during a time where anything can have an element or affinity. Some of the darker nations - fire and darkness (original, wootz... not) - are seeking to rule the world and those who find it within themselves to help the Avatar (yeah, I couldn't think of a better term) must set out to... save the world (cliche as hell, but whatevs). - Link

I'm in the works with an INFECTIONS roleplay. This one will probably be like Prototype 1/2. Maybe mixed with some Fallout. Idk. I didn't get enough interest on the other site to really work on the details for this one.

Could also retry my dragon story... - Link.

Too lazy to retype it, but this is the last idea I had...
    > GOD QUEST // Blessed (or cursed depending how you look at it) people roam the planet in fear. Their powers make them a target of the church's punishments. To escape the noose, those who are cursed must prove their worth by going on a "God Quest;" a quest where they will be given godly titles, should they be able to complete the horrific tasks.

Ugh. I hate this styling system (Type Face, Color, Size, etc.). It's such a pain....
    Last edited by Xavirne; 05-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.

- hangouts -

Hmm. At the moment, I kind of really like the idea of an epic, action/adventure game. In a world or setting similar to Skyrim.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Quote Originally Posted by jingRAWR View Post

Hmm. At the moment, I kind of really like the idea of an epic, action/adventure game. In a world or setting similar to Skyrim.

Yes! I would join that in a heartbeat! I believe this was in the works... but never actually got anywhere! Now I must go find the brainstorming thread and link it...

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Here it is. Impish was the one who suggested it, I think I am going to contact her and see where she was headed with it before I forget.

... darn, she hasn't been online in almost a month. I wouldn't want to steal the idea right out from under her...
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 05-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Remember we tried to do a skyrim like RP but it never got anywhere
    Maybe something like Devil May Cry?

I think if someone actually went ahead and set the Skyrim thing up, we could get a good amount of players.

I actually have an idea in mind that works with a Skyrim-setting.

When I'm more awake tomorrow, I'll provide a sketch of the idea.

TUMBLR.

Nice! Making some progress~. I'm gonna end up plying Skyrim again because of this, I know it.

Well I actually had a few ideas kicking about. Until I logged in today and found four new games. Problem I find is, if you are not known well enough, your idea seems to get lost or ignored. With the amount of games on the go, I would struggle to get any interest. I mean, look at my Assassin idea... I had hoped a death match would mix things up.

Also! I had a bloody great idea, based along the lines of a space/fantasy epic adventure based on Star Ocean:Till the end of time. The whole thing is about being on under devolped planets but your crew is alot more... Advanced than the Race you encounter. So you are possibly shipwrecked, with an unknown force after you, on a planet that knows nothing of space travle. The game itself is like that, of course I would put a personal spin on it and let people make own characters.

But I really see no point in launching. Not gonna work on something that will have no commitment...

Checkmate.

Would you stop pointing it out every time?

I love space opera epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Misaru View Post
    Problem I find is, if you are not known well enough, your idea seems to get lost or ignored. With the amount of games on the go, I would struggle to get any interest.
    That's always my issue too. I hate making new stories to see them flop. It's half the reason I went back to Mene. I have a bigger audience over there and more people are willing to jump on the idea. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons of making something new or not.

I also think the other issue is that people don't actually look at the stuff. They just kinda skim over it. Or they see that no one's joined so why should they? Idk. It's lame, but I feel like it plays a role. Like if I see a thread that was made a month ago and only one person's in it, I won't join it because I think it's either dead or incomplete. But that's just me....

EDIT: Other comment. I feel like some people won't join based on who the GM is. If you're known to vanish or something (this is true on Mene), people will be skeptical about joining because they fear you're just gonna POOF.
    Last edited by Xavirne; 05-22-2012 at 07:32 PM.

- hangouts -

Well, I put alotta thought into this game I released. Schiz was a trooper and joined, but no one else gave a thought to it. It was actually sounding fun though as it pit the players against each other, but even death was rewarded. XD So mature players could let their players be killed off and not grump as they would still have a cool role. And. Assassins. New age, hitmen assassins. Sounded cool to me! But alas. Flopped like the footwear of similar name.

I mean, usually I woulda left the game open if I had at least had a bit of interest but I ended up pulling it. I may throw it back up some time. As it would be so much fun to get working. But the feeling of everything for not can put everyone off.

I think we need something like this. Something that all the players should look at and something we all feel. We need a more active WTF for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    I love space opera epics.
    Well I do too. What I loved about Star Ocean was the blend of old fantasy with sci-fi. Fighting in a castle with a beam sword blew my mind. Also! When villagers refer to ther being a man with a stick of death that can end you from a distance, you kinda fall in love. Best way to discribe a gun. There is a line in the game that actualy made me fall in love. Two people get captured and place in a cell. "Did you find anything out?" "Yeah, whips on this planet hurt too!" I died at that moment. The whole madness opens it for giggles, fun and adventure!

Checkmate.

Hmmm. I wonder if these games you speak of were up when I was here or was I MIA? They sound interesting enough! Maybe you could make a pool of all your ideas in a thread and have people vote on the ones they like? ISOS_Duke did that a while back when she was trying to determine which stories she wanted to put up.

Also, I think, if we wanted to get a super active roleplay, we would need it to be something everyone likes. It can be hard finding common ground with so many people, even if it's only 10 people, it's still hard. I, personally, like the idea of an assassin roleplay, but, in the past, those stories have failed within a month. :\ But it is nearing summer so maybe schedules have loosened up and people are more available?

- hangouts -

In terms of gathering an audience... It's, pretty much, going to always be a stab in the dark until the user base grows substantially and, even then, it'll still be a gamble.

A little before you (Misaru) joined, I had set up an RP based off an assassin's game, but... it lacked appeal. I had just attributed it to information overload (stricter restrictions were in place) and not enough solid substance to convince players the RP was actually worth seeing through. Although, at this point, it might just not be because the audience has a different taste in things.

As for the loose sketch of the idea... I'll articulate that at a later, more convenient time, lol.

TUMBLR.

All of my ideas just die for some reason...
    Which is why I'm making my self find someone to help me run them

It is not a popular genre for myself, honestly it is a completely new world, but I would love to see more horror/dark themed (truly, not just teehee vampires, woOooooooOOooOOO!) I mean touchy dark themes, and not slasher/gore (though some gore would be lovely), but horror with plot in it, mental horror . . . fucked up shit . . . mixed in with, you guessed it, every other sort of genre out there.

I've tried my hand at this twice . . . recently and not as recently (okay it was a few weeks back, and that thing is still around, just didn't hash out the way I wanted it too and I put it on the back burner).

Hmn, so yes horror/dark themes/gore themed roleplays . . .

I think I'd die from nightmares...count me out of Horror and gore
    I'm thinking...I might try an Anime theme be as silly or serious as you want but in the end...we all laugh at one another.

No offense but...Horror and Gore is something I always avoid

Well, I put alotta thought into this game I released. Schiz was a trooper and joined, but no one else gave a thought to it. It was actually sounding fun though as it pit the players against each other, but even death was rewarded. XD So mature players could let their players be killed off and not grump as they would still have a cool role. And. Assassins. New age, hitmen assassins. Sounded cool to me! But alas. Flopped like the footwear of similar name.

I mean, usually I woulda left the game open if I had at least had a bit of interest but I ended up pulling it. I may throw it back up some time. As it would be so much fun to get working. But the feeling of everything for not can put everyone off.
    Don't feel bad. I too have had to pull a game that just didn't take off. It made me sad. I have also had games in advertising that never even got so much as a nibble. Sometimes it is depressing when you put the work into them (and I put gobs of work into my games).

I think one of the main problems is, a lot of people who play games don't always frequent to forum itself. When I first started here I actually avoided the forums and only looked at the games themselves.

Everyone here seems to have specific sorts of games they enjoy. And I think some people get scared off of games as well when they see "Intermediate" or "Advanced" in the info. And there are others who won't play in a "Beginner" game.

Well I do too. What I loved about Star Ocean was the blend of old fantasy with sci-fi. Fighting in a castle with a beam sword blew my mind. Also! When villagers refer to ther being a man with a stick of death that can end you from a distance, you kinda fall in love. Best way to discribe a gun. There is a line in the game that actualy made me fall in love. Two people get captured and place in a cell. "Did you find anything out?" "Yeah, whips on this planet hurt too!" I died at that moment. The whole madness opens it for giggles, fun and adventure!
    I also love the Star Ocean games so very much because of the lovely blend of sci-fi and fantasy.

I think it would be quite entertaining to play a cheesy Space Opera style game. I mean like Original Battle Star Galactica or Flash Gordon style Space Opera. I think a Star Ocean style game would fit the theme. However, I tend to avoid games that are based on pre-made worlds.

I do love collaborative worlds where everyone can have some input into them. But I love world building in general. (Yay MAPS! and PALLAIMA.)

On a bookshelf. Perched there like a bird.
    I've found that most of the people on here like their Sci-Fi and Fantasy Roleplays, and that there are a lot of RPS about school life.

But I guess that's just in the General rated roleplays. We need more good ones and I seem to be one of the few people actually working on some. Not to say that there aren't people who don't work on them!

I personally don't like Fantasy rps because they are so... unexplained. I need some logic in it. Just some! That's why I created Fragile Nightmares and joined Those Who Hunt Giants-because it explained the magic. And Heavy Gore roleplays make my stomach churn...

But I will stop ranting now...

Anyway, I am kinda interested in a Skyrim themed roleplay, but I don't know much about it at all. I usually don't play in game themed worlds, but this one sounds kinda cool.

Whelp, I have been bullied by an unknown source into outting forth both my Assassin's game and my Sci-Fi fantasy. So be on the look out for when I put up the info on that.

Gotta say though Sure2HerWord, I think alot of the new RP ideas seem pretty good even if not to my tastes. Maybe it seems like you are the only one working on them because you haven't had the time to stop and actually take in the lore and concept of someone elses game? I mean, I recently joined the Ruby Gate and fuck me... So much was put into that. You can understand everything and everything has a soild reason.

Checkmate.

It's because The Ruby Gate belongs to Utopia, that gal is creativity incarnate . . . and I would have her fictional babies if she asked.

Oh and I get it gore and horror don't sit well with people. It isn't something I particularly cared for either, only recently have I gotten interested in it . . . I think mostly because any adult rated RP, usually (and this is generalizing), is rated so because of chances for mature sexual content. Some have the rating for other thing, sometimes just adult themes that are spoken about, but I just want to see more adult RP's that do real tuochy adult things, you know. It isn't for everyone, but it is something I'd like to see more of . . . because, for me, it isn't something I have ever done in RPing and I've been doing this a while, I want to try things I've never done or didn't care for, but now are curious about.

I like fantasy actually, done right everything is explained and easy to grasp.

I mean the same arguement could be had with sci-fi. It can be super vague, make up some kind of particle whatever whoseit and a gadget and you're done . . . and people go: "what?" . . . but done right it makes some sense ^___^'

Hmn, but I agree there are a few school RPs . . . but a lot of them are one on ones, so you can't really count them.

Totally unrelated but... when does this thing change over to page two? I feel like I scroll for miles, especially on my iPod. x_x

- hangouts -

Well right now, for me, it's part way through page three . . . so check you personal settings and how many posts you have each page set to.