Login to your account

Thread: The dark carnival

The dark carnival

WON'T YOU COME PLAY WITH ME?

THE IDEA: A group of individuals (varying in both backgrounds and personalities) have been selected to partake in an event known only as "The Dark Carnival." Through a variety of means (often through coercion and other less-than-legal methods), the participants are whisked away from their homes, jobs, or schools (or wherever) and, some time later, find themselves inside a posh hotel room — with no recollection of ever having slept or wearing the clothes they, now, find themselves in or why this is happening — to them.

THE GENRE: Dark Comedy, Mystery, Action/Suspense

THE RUN-DOWN: Fancy words aside, I'm going to break down the role-play for you in terms of what to expect. Hopefully this doesn't take too much away from the role-play.

First, in this role-play, characters will, inevitably, die. In fact, in order for the role-play to function, characters must die. Therefore, if having your character killed is not your cup of tea then this role-play is, probably, not for you. Sorry.

Second, this is a modern-day role-play and will take place in (city, country). I haven't decided yet which city (or even country) this role-play will take place in. But that is a small detail and, if all else fails, this will simply take place in America or something.

Third, the role-play is designed around the idea of a "survivor's game." Essentially, this means that the characters (henceforth known as Champions or Heroes) are all involved (most likely against their will) in a setting where they are, quite literally, fighting for their lives.

At the beginning each stage (the role-play will be divided into twelve stages), each Champion will be prompted by either a global mission (a mission that is given to every Champion) and/or a private mission (a mission that is given to only a select number of Champions). It is possible to be given both a global and private mission. In fact, please expect multiple missions.

Completion of these missions will be rewarded (or at least not punishable) while failure to complete will result in a penalty (rewards and penalties will be defined in each mission).

I would like to note, here, that the "game" being played is fashioned after (in parts) Dead Man's Wonderland and Hunger Games/Battle Royale. If you're familiar with any of the three, you'll have a pretty decent idea where this whole thing is going.

Fourth, there are a limited number of slots (roughly ten to twelve — more likely to be ten, though). Each slot is defined by a pre-determined characteristic (I'll reveal the slots later).

I don't really have much else to say. I don't want to give too much away, but, at the same time, I would like you to (kind of) get an understanding of what to expect.

If this helps anyone, the role-play was inspired by the following:

Alice Human-Sacrifice — Vocaloid, Battle Royale, Dead Man's Wonderland, Hunger Games, Liar's Game, The World Ends With You, and various other things that, for whatever reason, isn't coming to mind. Anyway, yeah.

Right now, I'm just looking to see what kind of reception I might get and etc. (:
    Last edited by joonsexual; 12-16-2011 at 02:08 AM.

I am actually interested. I've never had my character die, neither tried any RP like this so I would be up for the experience. Hunger Games trilogy I've read through and I know Battle Royale's story so I have a some sort of clue what kind of RP this would be.

Could you explain (without giving spoilers) what sort of things would I face in the RP by my character? In other words, what sort of game play there'd be? Fights? Discussion? Horror-ish things?

When the world is darker than I can understand
    When nothing turns out the way I planned
    When the sky turns grey and there's no one in sight
    When I can't sleep through the lonely night

Not a problem!

In the role-play, your character will be subjected to a variety of missions (some seem disconnected from the storyline and absurdly simple while others may be incredibly complexed and difficult). The missions can be anything from the purchase of an item to the bombing of a public location. Additionally, missions can involve the assassination or sabotage of other players.

It's worth mentioning that some missions will be done in teams (teams may not always be split evenly).

Moreover, each mission has parameters outlined for how to successfully complete a mission. For instance, let's say Character A was given the mission to plant a bomb at a public location. To successfully plant a bomb, they must roll either a three or a five. They have until X hours to plant.

Some missions will require the use of a dice and other missions will not. Some missions can be discussed and pre-arranged in the OOC and others can not. Generally, this is how it'll be like.
    Last edited by joonsexual; 12-16-2011 at 02:46 AM.

That sounds nicely different from the usual, yes.
    I have had only "aimless" RPs so far so this will be interesting and new on that aspect aswell.

So, when do we start?
    If you need to lend a hand with anything, please let me know.

Haha, I'm thinking about setting up the game sometime next week, but no promises.

When (if) the game is ready, I'll drop a link into this thread.

Alright, I'll keep checking the thread every time I log in but no pressure really. I know setting up RP sometimes needs sudden extra work and yeah, always it doesn't even feel like doing it. :'D

Hrn, I think I might hold off on setting this up... Some things came up and, lol, I might not have the time to devote myself to running a RP. derpderp, but, if I ever get it put together, I'll shoot you a link. (:

I just wanted to let you know — so you don't... wait for forever. Haha. D:

Ahh, I see. Don't you worry about it at all. I have busy times ahead in life myself so I might have to gone on a hiatus anyway and yeah. ^^'