"Good-night then," she turned and walked up the stairs to her room. As she ascended the stairway she heard the Healers start a whispered conversation. She knew the two were really worried for her, and she had become worried as well. So far she had not formulated a plan of what she wanted in her life, but she knew that in the very least she wanted to eventually get married, and she couldn't do that without an Animal Companion. In their society the Companion served as more than a bond friend and protector. Elves that were not able to find bond companions or who chose not to had to enter the School of Enlightenment, which on top of being completely specialized in Healing, were not allowed to marry or start a family because of being unable to do so as well they wanted the Enlightened to focus all attention on their studies. Although it was a very honored position, many and especially Kytti did want to start families, and be able use all Magics.

Kytti crawled into her bed, pulling the blanket up to her chin, after having the Sun Tree dims its light orbs to darkness. Tears ran down her face, because as much as she would rather leave the Village than enter the School of Enlightenment, she did not relish the idea of leaving either. It would hurt her Healers very much, but it would be the choice she made. Eventually she drifted off to sleep.

The next day after Kytti had gotten up and finished with her chores and breakfast she went out to her and Karvek's favorite grove right outside the Village. She was sitting alone in a tree, swinging her legs back and forth, her thoughts occupying her completely. Suddenly Dor was stretched out on the branch beside her, his head resting in her lap. Realizing he was there she was startled out of her reverie and gave a little jump, but then she giggled, putting her hand on his soft head.

"Wow, Dor you scared me. What's up?" She asked him as she gave him a loving scratch between his ears. He peered up at her with big eyes.

"Not much, just out to play. I can't believe you didn't even notice me Kytti, I think this is the first time I ever successfully snuck up on you," he purred, satisfied with himself. From above her came a laugh as Karvek swung down from the branch right above her, his knees hooked on it so that he peered at her from upside down.

"Yeah, I don't think anyone has ever been able to sneak up on you Kyt!" He exclaimed, grinning at her, "Losing your touch I see?" He was teasing her, she knew but she couldn't find it in herself to return his smile. He saw the grim look on her face and immediately became serious. "What's the problem Kyt; this isn't like you at all."

"My Healers had a talk with me last night about what I will have to do if I don't find my companion," she sighed out her words, looking very depressed. Karvek then swung down from his branch to sit right beside her.

"What do you mean, what you'll have to do?" He looked genuinely concerned since it was almost completely unheard of for this kind of thing to happen.

"I mean, I'll either have to immediately enter the School of Enlightenment, or go on an Extended Journey to find my companion and keep going further until I located my Companion, and if still unsuccessful, I could only come back under the terms that I immediately enter the School," she explained this to him, putting her arms around herself as she thought about it. They sat in silence for a few moments together and then Karvek looked to her.

"Wow, Kyt. That's a hard thing to contemplate. Let me guess though, you would choose the Journey so that joining the School could be your last resort?" he smiled softly, knowing that he would hate to be in her position right now.

"Yes," she nodded along with her words, her eyes downcast. Suddenly Karvek smiled widely at her, pulling her close for a hug.

"What do you have to worry about Kyt? You’re the most powerful out of all of us, I just bet you’re meant for a very special Companion and that's the only reason why you haven't bonded yet. You'll have no problem once we find them. Until they decide you have to make this Journey we'll search out every animal in the vicinity and see if we can find your Companion!" he tried to sound as cheerful as possible. She gave him a shaky smile back.

"I guess your right Vek, we'll just have to become dedicated to searching!" Her face brightened, and gently moving Dor's head off her lap she jumped off the branch, landing in the branches of a Pillow Leaf tree that grew to meet her. Karvek followed her with Dor right behind them both. Karvek laughed, shaking his head, always amazed at how skilled Kytti was, he knew she could do anything she wanted in the Village, all they had to do was make sure she got her Companion.

Over the next few months Karvek, Dor and Kytti spent all their time trying to search for and track down her possible Companion, but each day came back empty-handed. And each day that passed that they came back without results Kytti became more and more sad, feeling hopeless and defeated.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Approximately six months after the last Youth that had bonded, however, something happened that cost her the ability to make the choice. It was another unsuccessful day that Karvek and Kytti had come back from and they were in the Main Gathering area when a severe event occurred. They were walking along chatting underneath the large trees that were everywhere when someone gave a loud cry.

Drawing their attention they noticed everyone pointing up to the higher branches of a particularly big tree. Craning both their necks they peered up to see a Young Naturalist on one of the branches. What probably was supposed to be routine work to check out the trees health seemed to have turned ill. The Naturalist looked as if they had slipped and were barely hanging on.

So far they had gathered several Naturalists together that had already begun work on growing a Pillow Leaf tree to catch the one in the large tree, but they weren't able to go very fast. Everything seemed fine though, with the Naturalist hanging in the tree successfully and the few they had gathered so far working as fast as possible. But then, once again something unexpected happened again, the endangered Naturalist lost their grip and began plummeting towards the ground. As this happened, the elves gathered let out a collective gasp and knew it wasn't going to end well. So far the Pillow Leaf tree wasn't large enough and would break under the momentum of their fall, and the Naturalists wouldn't be able to get it large enough.

"Karvek, I'm going to have to show them all now to save him," Kytti cried out to Karvek and ran towards the Pillow Leaf tree. Karvek gasped and put his hand over his mouth, knowing that everything was going to now change for her, but he also knew that Kytti could never allow another to get hurt so long as she had the power to stop it.

By this time which only had lasted a second, many elven eyes were drawn to her as she ran up and did what she could. She stopped near the already maturing Pillow Leaf tree and put her hands out towards it to channel energy better. Her eyes began to glow bright green, brighter than anyone they had ever seen, even in a Naturalist. As this started, the Pillow Leaf tree rapidly grew up to meet the falling elf, successfully stopping their fall before any major damage could be done.

After she knew that he was safe in the leaves, her eyes began to glow green once again and the Pillow Leaf tree began to shrink just as rapidly and gently let him on the ground as it went back to being just a seed. At first everyone stood where they had been, shock evident in their faces before everyone began to move again. Other Naturalists went up to the one she had saved and led him away to make sure he was okay, while everyone else went about their business, whispering in hushed tones about the event that just happened.

Kytti stood with her eyes closed her hands hanging at her side, with her long golden hair hanging over her face, she knew that her whole world was going to change again and she didn't relish the thought about how it was going to change this time.