Login to your account

Thread: TeleVISION (Insert Your Art Puns Here!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Haha, well that makes me feel better!

So about that project/deadline that I've been whining to all my friends about...

Maybe a few of you are familiar with casting jewelry?

Anyway, I had to make wax models of two rings that related in some way. Here they are! I finished them late today and I had to prepare the piece for the next step toward actually casting: Investing.

Investing (for anyone who MIGHT care!) in casting terms basically means that you put your rings in a metal flask filled with special plaster and let it dry. When the plaster is set properly, then you put it in a kiln to melt out the wax. The hollow space left behind is where you'll pour in molten metal later. This is called Lost Wax Casting... I think? Sounds right! ^ ^

Anyway, before you can pour the plaster into your flask you have to sprue your piece(s). Like what I did here! Spruing is essentially making a little wax stalk-tree-thing attached to the bottom of the flask so your hot metal will have a path to flow in; via a hole in the base.

So now my piece is all invested and slowly drying! It will go into the kiln tomorrow and hopefully Thursday I will get to make my first cast! xD

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics... D:
    Last edited by Telemachn; 09-28-2011 at 04:07 AM.

I really love the cicada graphic. I would wear it on a shirt if you printed it. I have a strange love for the cicada... xD

~~~~
    I am not at all familiar with casting jewelry but I would love to be. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product! Making jewelry is a long process. x-x;
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.