Login to your account

Thread: Blue Rose: The Roleplaying Game of Romantic Fantasy (Green Ronin Publishing)

Blue Rose: The Roleplaying Game of Romantic Fantasy (Green Ronin Publishing)

Has anyone played the Blue Rose game using the True 20 system?

For those unfamiliar with the game, Blue Rose is a tabletop roleplaying game published by Green Ronin. It uses dice and character sheets and stats, similar to the more familiar Dungeons and Dragons or Vampire: the Masquerade.

The game is themed off of "romantic" fantasy and lists such authors as Mercedes Lackey, Tamora Pierce, Diane Duane and Andre Norton (plus doses from fairy tales) as inspirations for the sort of 'feel' of the setting. You can play a human, of course. And there are also a few fantasy races (sea people, for example) or sentient animals you could play instead.

I'm not here to advertise the game (I'm not getting a kick-back, unfortunately) - but more giving the information in hopes that it would either spark conversation or have someone who has played the game might drop by with an opinion on it.

I've long been interested in tabletop gaming, but have never had the opportunity to do so yet. Blue Rose, being set in a sort of theme/genre that appeals to me is a game that does interest me quite a lot (I even pre-ordered it), but no one I've spoken to about it seems especially interested. It doesn't help that most of the reviews online are either indifferent or sneering. (And it's difficult to tell if the sneering is just the players who would never read novels of that sort looking down on it or if it's just a poorly made game.)

Anyway - yes! Thoughts? Opinions? Reviews?
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

I've never heard of that particular system but i love green ronin and my favorite table top system is 'Mutants and Masterminds' Also made by them. The interesting thing about that system is you can play just about any thing. I've played OC heroes and villains, existing heroes and more interestingly such things as a Naruto themed campaign, a Victorian vampire hunter theme campaign and the old fall back of a group of shape shifters (ala animorphs or any of those X inserted with animal DNA style games). I actually started on table top role play with dungeons and dragons, I used to own a book signed by Gary Gigax. The system you mentioned sounds interesting though, and I think I shall have to check it out n.n!

I've always wanted to try a tabletop roleplaying game. I have found a virtual thing we might be able to use! I'm not sure though. rptools.net
    Maybe we all can get together and try to get something going. Well, if there is an ex-DM in these forums that sees this. We could use Skype or something else to talk. I would be very good at the acting part though >_>

I've done the gm thing before but honestly not certain I have the time at current. Would love to participate how ever!

...Having been a TT/rollplayer for years, and a fan of Lackey for longer, I now want to look the book over and give an honest review.

Gaining a Reputation Michael Cra's Avatar
    I think a Table top game is very doable on here We would have to have voice to discuss things and could have our character moves be put on here and since we have a Dice function
    The 100-sided dice lands on 12

The 20-sided dice lands on 11

The 10-sided dice lands on 4

The 8-sided dice lands on 1

The 4-sided dice lands on 4

It would be very easy to keep people from cheating, but getting the time together to do it would be a pain ((well it normally is in real life too)) I've Never really DM'd but been interested, I tried once for just a simple one but as i started the people wanted this set of rules and for it to be done like this and blah blah blah. Then when i realized all the research i had to do i quickly started but by that time people already backed out cause they wanted to do it right then.

Yes - I'd love to see or play in a table-top game online, but it's really best done with people actually in the thread at the same time (which means setting up a regular playing time) and rules as simple as possible. (Unless you're talking about making a game with people who are all experienced at playing that game, in which case they can be only minorly modfied. xD)
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

This... sounds like it would be epically amazing. (sorry if I'm reviving a "dead" thread) I don't know a lot of people IRL who are that interested in tabletop RPGs, so a sort of online format would be good for me! I've always wanted to try this sort of game, but, again, hard to find people who are interested/nearby.

Plus... romance AND fantasy? Together? As the main themes of a game? I am SO there! XD