Login to your account

Thread: Monster RP brainstorming

Reoccurring NPC

Monster RP brainstorming

I wanted to pitch my half-formed idea for a game. I was poking through the D&D monster manual and it gives rules for playing as goblins, kobolds and such. So what if we started a game where you played as the minions we usually spend all our time trying to beat?

The setting could be a ruined castle or temple with potential to expand it. Characters play things like devils, minotaurs, harpies, etc and maybe some bigger “boss” monsters to offer missions (like a dragon who controls part of the castle, and doing favors will get you in his good graces). Players can explore the life of a dungeon monster, with adventurers occasionally breaking in and needing to be dealt with. There could even be some kind of overarching plot where instead of trying to save the world players try to gain influence for the dark side.

It’s not totally thought out and there’s plenty of room for improvement, but I wanted to see if anyone was interested. I’ve never hosted a game so if this does take off, I'd like a partner DM or something. But thanks for reading

Oh god. >_> This bit sold me on wanting to play:

and maybe some bigger “boss” monsters to offer missions (like a dragon who controls part of the castle, and doing favors will get you in his good graces). Players can explore the life of a dungeon monster, with adventurers occasionally breaking in and needing to be dealt with.
    It just called to mind more of a tongue-in-cheek rather dark and evil vibe for me.

"Hey Hank."

"Hey Ted. How's it going in Sector Ichor?"

"Not too bad. Adventuring party came through. Can you believe it? Two bards. Two. And a mage. Did they really think they were going to get through Ichor?"

"At least it was funny for you today..."

"Yeah? What's it like in the Blood Sector lately?"

"Oh, you know how it is. Blood dripping from the walls. Blood dripping from the ceiling. Blood oozing from the floors..."

"Yeah..."

"Today they switched it to green slime. Not even a memo about it. Just - bam - out of nowhere."

"Woah."

"Yeah, the vampires are totally freaking out."

/etc

<_< Sorry for the spam. xD
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Reoccurring NPC
    Haha, I love that. It could totally involve some comedy if we want it to. Like sarcastic fantasy (making up genres, woo).

Sounds fun, sort of like Dungeon Keeper (gosh I loved that game). Would you play it like a real pen and paper rpg- with dice and what not? That would make it classic.

Reoccurring NPC
    I did think of dice as a possibility if other people are down for it. Possible uses of dice could be determining certain actions (like breaking down an iron door to a locked area) or to randomly generate items (player wants to search a treasure chest so they roll, and the GM finds a corresponding object on a table).

I'll just chip in with that there's a dice function on the board.

The 20-sided dice lands on 10
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Reoccurring NPC
    :Checks DM chart:
    You find a magic hammer

I've been typing up some ideas in a Google doc. It lacks detailed places and rules for playing (like if and how dice will be involved). I've never made a roleplay before but I wanted to ask if there's a way to keep it locked for some time while I edit it, just to see how it looks and get some other input?

Quote Originally Posted by Vervain View Post
    :Checks DM chart:
    You find a magic hammer

I've been typing up some ideas in a Google doc. It lacks detailed places and rules for playing (like if and how dice will be involved). I've never made a roleplay before but I wanted to ask if there's a way to keep it locked for some time while I edit it, just to see how it looks and get some other input?
    Yay! A magic hammer.

You can close a roleplay. Then nobody can post but I don't know if it keep you from editing overview or locations... Or you could lock character joining, so that nobody can join.
    However there isn't a function to hide a rpg for modifying.
    Zone District

You could always base the game on DnD or something. I know there are even character (and monster) generators out there for DnD so it would be pretty easy for players to make characters.

Reoccurring NPC
    Thanks. I made a closed roleplay called The Black Tower for now. It needs a more interesting title -_-
    The rules I've got so far are like DnD lite: roll to see if you hit a defense score/find random object.

If it has dice rolls, I'm even more into it. :3 Looking forward to hearing more about the game.
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Reoccurring NPC
    Sorry for the delay, school work needed to be dealt with :P Anyway, I added some things and opened it up, now I'm just waiting for players. It's not very visually appealing at the moment, when I get some time I'll try to make stuff pretty.

http://www.wtfrpg.com/forum/showthre...pgtab=overview

Background NPC
    This whole concept kind of reminds me of a webcomic I read about a tribe of goblins who frequently defend their homes from 1st-level adventurers looking to beat up on weak monsters. XD

Definitely an intriguing concept. I'd be down for this, either free-form or with dice rolls.

@ Brook V: there is a dice-roller here? I was told there wasn't. o.o How it work?

Quote Originally Posted by RusanCrosha View Post
    This whole concept kind of reminds me of a webcomic I read about a tribe of goblins who frequently defend their homes from 1st-level adventurers looking to beat up on weak monsters. XD

Definitely an intriguing concept. I'd be down for this, either free-form or with dice rolls.

@ Brook V: there is a dice-roller here? I was told there wasn't. o.o How it work?
    You use the dice function by clicking on the tiny dice icon. Then you need to alter it for it to work correctly ofc.

Code:
    [DICE=1]20[/DICE]
    This code makes a 20 sided dice roll 1 time.

Code:
    [DICE=5]20[/DICE]
    This code makes a 20 sided dice roll 5 times

Code:
    [DICE=1]6[/DICE]
    This code makes a 6 sided dice roll 1 time.

E.g.

The 20-sided dice lands on 14

The 20-sided dice lands on 3
    The 20-sided dice lands on 15
    The 20-sided dice lands on 2
    The 20-sided dice lands on 5
    The 20-sided dice lands on 13

The 6-sided dice lands on 1

EDIT: Actually I think it isn't 1 20-sided dice which rolls 5 times but 5 20-sided dices which rolls simultaneously.
    Last edited by Brook V; 09-25-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Zone District