Login to your account

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Advanced Roleplay- Interest Gathering

An Advanced Roleplay- Interest Gathering

I have been thinking about starting an Advanced roleplay here. I already have a world completed and the first part of the scenario (the first part would actually be about 12 chapters long). It would be run in chapter style rather than location style.

Why would it be advance?

1. There is a detailed world- complete with history, naming traditions, religion(s), moral code, superstitions, flora, fauna, traditions, calender, celestial bodies, legends, art styles, etc. (No, really, I have really detailed out the world... a lot.) I would expect people to create character that would fit into this world. This would require quite a bit of reading on the part of the people who want to join.

2. I would expect people to read everyone's posts and try to post at least twice a week. I do not have a minimum post length- sometimes being forced to write 3 paragraphs can slow down the game and make it lose the flow. I would like at least 3-5 sentences a post, but this would also be fluid.

3. The game would require 8 other people to play (I would take on 2 roles because of the part they play and the narrator/NPCs).

4. It does have a plot and it is a long term game. It would eventually have 4 parts, each one consisting of at least 10 chapters.

5. It would be an adult game- violence, nudity, language, really harsh scenarios and horrible things will happen to your character. Your characters would be forced into making terrible decisions that you, as a player, would never make. Yes, you will be playing heroes, but you may be forced to kill children on the course of your journey. If you the player has trouble with moral ambiguity, I expect them to get over it, or not participate. I ran the first part of this game before on another site and I had several people drop out because of the horrible "tests" I put their characters through.

What are the basics?

Setting: A Country called Arascon in the world of Amb. It is a world of low magic/fantasy. The only 'civilized' race are humans.

Characters: The five knights of The Black Dove Guard (five direct knights who guard the queen) and the five knights of the Red Dawn Watch (five knights who directly guard the King).

Each knight wields one of the ten holy weapons of the world- something that has not happened before. The weapons are rare and choose the wielder. Most of the time there are only one or two in use. The ten holy weapons are each associated with an element or a god and grant the wielder magical abilities (which are separate from magic). Information on both the holy weapons and the magical abilities would be detailed more in the required reading for those wishing to join.

Background:
    This game is set in the world of Amb. It involves Ten Knights of Arascon, each of whom wield one of the holy weapons. These weapons grant wield wielder magical abilities in accordance with the magical element they represent: Fire, Air, Earth, Water, Wood, Illusion, Divination, Time, Protection and Blessing, and Animals. These ten Knights have been set on a path of Destiny dictated to them by the Three Holy Sisters - the representatives of the Gods on Amb.

The Gods seem to have something in store for the Ten Knights, but the prophecies which could lend a clue to the path they must take, have long been lost. Do the Holy Sisters have the answers? What is the curse which is slowly covering the land?

Follow the story of the Ten Knights of Arascon as they seek the answers and follow the path of destiny.

Damn you for presenting me with yet more RP's that interest me. As is currently the case, I'll wait to see how my schedule pans out before fully declaring my interest in this or Dorian's game.

Well, mine will require a lot of reading up front with the world setting. I had a whole entire webpage set up dedicated to the world before I let my personal webpage expire. I still have all the info for it though (and I may set it up on a free page somewhere, or just post all the info in a few threads in the roleplay itself.

The main thing will be getting 8 dedicated players who are interested in putting in the effort up front to learn the world. (And reference things if they need them later.) If people are showing interest here, I could start putting up a bit of info about the world as examples of how detailed it is. (I even wrote superstitions and have main trade goods for each city int eh country.)

I have started putting together a web site to host all the information I have on the world. It is on my free google webpage so I can't make my own .css or simply upload my old page, which is irritating. But it has all the basics.

World of Amb

So, after seeing how much information there is on the world, how many people are actually interested in playing an Advanced roleplay?
    Last edited by Utopia; 09-20-2011 at 07:43 PM.

So I guess that there is no real interest in an advanced roleplay where the players would actually have to learn about the world through reading. *sigh*

What would make it more interesting for people? I have noticed an influx of new people- maybe ya'll have an opinion?

This idea is so alluring! When do you plan on starting this up? I only ask because I have so much in the mix, but this is really appealing to me. I just know this will take a strong level of commitment and I don't want to sign myself onto something I won't do justice to.

But something like this, I don't know how to describe it but I've been looking for something along these lines for a while... and I have to be honest, would consider putting a pause on my 1 x 1 projects to jump into this.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

So long as I'm not swamped with work and extracurricular activities, I would totally be interested.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Do you think I should let each person who takes up a Knight add one magical ability (in the theme of their weapon) to the mix, so each person has 5 abilities?

I can start it up at any time, but it really needs all the positions filled before we can begin.

Positions Available

Knight of Fire
    Knight of Air
    Knight of Earth
    Knight of Water
    Knight of Wood
    Knight of Illusion
    Knight of Divination
    Knight of Animals

(info here)

The balance of male/female doesn't matter. But all characters are human and from Arascon. I just ask that they be realistic for the setting (low fantasy). Oh- and none of them have a pilgrimage name yet.

Oh my goodness, the Knight of Illusion <3 I already have so many ideas!

and yes Utopia, that would be nice. That way the players can have a chance to add their own little idea to the mix!

Okay, this is just badass... Holy Weapon: The Scythe of Destiny

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Erm, as far as the role... I'd be down with any. Schizo, pick one for me.

- hangouts -

I know! I was reading up on all the weapons individually, and The Scythe is pretty badass. I actually thought the The Knight of Divination would be my second choice... and since you like the weapon so much I'd say go for that!

Empathy - This is the ability to discern what others are feeling.
    Precognition - This is the ability to see things before they occur.
    Scrying - This is the ability to locate objects, people and places by use of a pendulum, detecting rod, mirror or crystal.
    Psychometry - The ability to learn about the past of an object by touching it.
    I feel like you would be able to do wonder with those powers, as far as placing them onto a character perfectly and describing them well.

Ha ha. Okay. Now should I be male or female? (Since you're online and all, you've been suckered into helping me. XD)

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Ohhh, an Ice Spear sounds fun, too. In case anyone wanted to know...

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Oh snap! This one's cool, too...Wooden Doors - This is the ability to create doorways between any two wooden things. You open a doorway in one piece of wood and come out of another piece of wood. The wood can be living or dead.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

OMG OMG OMG. I nearly died laughing. XD Speak with Plants - The ability to communicate with flora of all kinds.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

LOL! The Scythe sounds like Captain Jack Sparrow's compass...The scythe acts as a signpost, pointing it's wielder in the direction of their destiny. When the wielder places the end of the handle on the ground, the scythe blade spins around landing on the direction that leads them to their destiny.

- hangouts -

I believe I am going to play a male character. Not sure why, but I have had a particular lean for playing male recently. I think you started it. xD

I also have a pretty sweet character picture I found a few weeks ago I haven't been able to use and I think he'd be perfect.

It's up to you. Personally, I love whatever you come up with. Although I haven't gotten to directly interact with any of your female characters, so that would be a change of pace for me. xD I am also going with male since I am anticipating a burst of females to join.

Oh gawd, I can't chose a profession/job/lifestyle. I was thinking farmer, but a butler sounds like so much fun. And then there is a trader, that would be fun, too! OMG. Or a muckracker. That would be fun to do (not really, but I love to make my characters suffer).

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

I was leaning toward female, but I don't want to be one of seven females. So I'm also torn at being a guy. Plus, it would allow him to hold more manly jobs and such. I'm currently looking to see if there are gender restrictions on jobs. If there are, then I'll probably lean toward being a male. And a sexy one at that. XD

- hangouts -

That's what I'm working on right now. Basically trying to read the rest of the information and take notes on ideas as I go. This character is going to have to take a lot of thought, but will be well worth it in the end I'm sure. ^_^

Darn, wish I would've stumbled across this last night when insomnia kicked in. Would've had something to do! D:

But yes, I'm pretty interested in this roleplay .. so, I'm off to go read through everything! Will give me something to do till tonight.

Well, I will open this up to players then. Just remember that you all are Knights serving the Kingdom either in the Black Dove or the Red Dawn (Black Dove serves the queen, Red Dawn serves the king as sort of personal guards- they are the best of the best and chosen by the King and Queen personally.)

Alright, I will let each person choose one skill for themselves, that way everyone has 5 magical abilities with tier weapon and can do some nifty things that they come up with.

Also, if you do have pictures, can you send me a link to them so I can make a thumbnail for the webpage for each character?

Here he is, nameless and hailing from Rosedese~

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...89ea879287.jpg
    Last edited by Schizophrenic; 09-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Here he is, nameless and hailing from Rosedese~

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...89ea879287.jpg
    Why hello there sexy pants. XD

- hangouts -

Actually, since they are all Knights of Arascon, he would hail from Arascon. Though, he may have some distant Rosedese ancestry.

O_o I just realized that he's eating his tie. XD

- hangouts -

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    Actually, since they are all Knights of Arascon, he would hail from Arascon. Though, he may have some distant Rosedese ancestry.
    Well haha yeah that was my plan. I just really enjoyed reading about Rosedese. ^_^

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    O_o I just realized that he's eating his tie. XD
    I wonder if he is an original character, I'd love to find a more unobstructed picture of his face if their is more art of him, but can't find him anywhere.

He reminds me of the characters from DOGS. I'll show him around to my anime friends and see if anyone can figure out who he is.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Badou Nails is the character I think he looks like.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Ha, called it!
    http://www.polyvore.com/badou_nails_...ng?id=41724396

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

I'm tempted to do Heine. XD
    Last edited by Xavirne; 09-23-2011 at 05:49 PM.

- hangouts -

I like that art style.. (Did some background looks around the show and other characters.) The one I grabbed is just like a dark skinned, lighter haired version? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post
    Sheehs, expensive stuff!
    That jacket is ridiculously expensive!
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    I like that art style.. (Did some background looks around the show and other characters.) The one I grabbed is just like a dark skinned, lighter haired version? xD
    I thought he looked SO familiar. Then I took a closer look and was like - I think I have a manga with that guy in it. XD

But yes, the artist is awesome. I really haven't read the series, but I will... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Brook V View Post
    Sheehs, expensive stuff!
    That jacket is ridiculously expensive!
    It's true! But looking good always costs money.

- hangouts -

Two-thirds-ish through all the reading; finished with reading all the topics I felt are most important - those being the first two sections and the culture. Finishing up Basic Geography now while also doing other things for my character; finding a flippin' picture, deciding what knight I'd like to play, his 'name', and other various things for a general idea of his personality / how he interacts with fellow comrades.

Should be fun!

I don't suppose I can convince ya'll to find medieval/fantasy style art? Just want to be careful of modern elements of clothing. Anime style is fine though.

What roles did you guys want? I will show them as reserved when I finish up the character section.

Knight of Divination, unless someone really wants that. If they do Knight of Water would be awesome.

And that's a-okay. I will totally find a knightly looking dude. >3

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Or a chick. Whichever. XD

- hangouts -

Okay, Divination is reserved. If someone else really wants it, you guys can toss a coin or something.