"Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon"

As I sit here this night, writing in this journal, that phrase keeps popping into my mind. I am alone this evening, on the morrow I shall reach Ka'Lent and meet my soon to be constant companions in the quest the gods have blessed me with (Or cursed me with dependant upon my point of view). I suppose I would be thinking of Fire on this night, considering I have recently come into the ability to control this beautiful, perfect element. I was gifted with the power to destroy a world, yet I am to save it. But I must wonder....

Can our world even be saved?

I feel as if we have gone so off track that the gods must be furious at us. Other countries have grown to worship technology rather than the gods that gave them the intelligence to create the technology. Thank god I am from Alshmere, the people most in tune with the gods. But pondering the nature of the world is not what I am meant to do right now, I have a mission and I must accomplish it.

I need to redeem myself somehow, my actions caused the death of those most sacred (behind the gods) to an Alshmerean. I got the sense to be rebellious, I suppose it was the fire in me, but I decided to try and start gaining information and hosting meetings to fire up spirits for a rebellion. I paid a high price for a foolish attempt at being a hero.

I watched them die.

My younger brother first, they made my parents watch as they cut him from navel to nose, spilling his innocent blood all over the floor of our small home. Then my father, a shot through the eyes. And then my mother...

They dragged her out, into the field behind the house. I followed secretly, hiding behind the tall stalks of fresh wheat, nearly ready for harvest. Using their knives they cut her clothing off and proceeded to do what men do to women they have power over. I saw this, I wanted to kill them but had no weapons and there were three of them. Each took a turn. And then they killed her to.

The minute they were gone I rushed to her side, holding her head as the last light left her eyes. Killed for my crimes, falsely accused and brutalized. As I cried, I saw a small flame in a pool of my mother's blood. It spoke to me, I pulled out a ring that magically attached itself to my hand. As it locked into place, I felt it sear the skin there. It hurt, but I didn't care, I knew it was important.

And so I listened to the words it said, the few times it spoke to me, and I have become aware of my destiny, a destiny that starts tomorrow. I do not know what awaits me, the people I will meet or the dangers I will face, but I am not afraid, I deserve the pain, I deserve the risk of the burden. It is the only way I can repent for their deaths, if I succeed. I just hope the others are as serious as I am. They may never know why, but they will know that I mean business and I will not let them die. I cannot have more blood on my hands than there already is.

The hour is late, and I have a full day on the morrow, it is time for me to sleep, but I will keep you updated as the days progress.