Login to your account

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OOC : Helidor in Turmoil - Still a WIP!

I'm a little bit pressed for time right now, but I wanted to let you guys now that I've read through all this. I'll type up answers for you sometime soon.

Okay, here goes!

Psymoski - Ideally, you'd have a huge hand in creating your character, so you do have a lot of control over both what they look like and what they were assigned to do for a living. So we all just have to work together in order to make sure that the character traits stay consistent. This might mean that some of us have to change our original plans a bit in order to make things work out, but you can still design your character and still choose what their occupation will be.

DaCheney - 1. Ah okay. I think I see what you're trying to do there. I guess we could just call that "suited for outdoors work"? I'm not too sure how to best describe it either.

2. That makes a lot more sense, thanks for explaining. I think that sounds great. "If you couldn't speak, you had nothing intelligent to say" sounds like a good rule of thumb and a pretty solid guideline for character development.

3-4. That rambling is good, I think that's going to become a solid part of the roleplay. You're already exhibiting the thought process of a rebel, haha! A religious person in Helidor would say "Of course they're more apt to develop into a strong physical specimen, that's what Fate has chosen." Meanwhile, a rebel would say "Well duh, they're muscular and work hard, of course they'll be strong."

That's a conversation our characters will probably get pulled into pretty often. So however you want to switch your definition there, I think it'll be fine.

Wow, everyone's questions so far seem to be about the physical trait stuff (I admit, though, I mostly skimmed, so I might have missed if there was more). xD I had more questions about the political turmoil...

I'm thinking about typing up a profile for a soon-to-be rebel. Is there any sort of structure to their uprising, or are they just a group of disgruntled run-aways so far? I assume that my character, who would start out as a fairly upstanding citizen, would be able to glean information in the form of rumors in taverns, but would you say there are also rebels hiding out in society too? Actively recruiting 'n stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
    1. Ah okay. I think I see what you're trying to do there. I guess we could just call that "suited for outdoors work"? I'm not too sure how to best describe it either.
    Perhaps something like, "happiest doing jobs that interact with nature" or "natural outdoorsman"?
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie Styx View Post
    I'm thinking about typing up a profile for a soon-to-be rebel. Is there any sort of structure to their uprising, or are they just a group of disgruntled run-aways so far? I assume that my character, who would start out as a fairly upstanding citizen, would be able to glean information in the form of rumors in taverns, but would you say there are also rebels hiding out in society too? Actively recruiting 'n stuff?
    Up to you!

In my own imagination, there are already small groups of rebels hiding out in the mountains. These are the people who were either forced to flee from the country or just couldn't bear the state religion anymore. These rebels would be more like guerrilla warriors or outcasts, surviving by any means necessary and planning a greater military uprising.

But there may also be some rebels who aren't so open about their intentions. They would be the ones who stay within the city, appear to be normal members of society, but somehow work to sabotage the system. Maybe the two groups work together, maybe they don't get along, maybe they don't even know about it other. That part is pretty much up to you guys.

Sweet. Okay.

Also, this is more of a general question, although it's semi-related... I haven't made a character yet for any RP. Will I be able to go back and edit the profile later if I submit something? I'd like to go ahead and get my girl in there, but since the characteristic stuff is still being worked out, I don't want to get stuck claiming something that ends up being assigned to something else.... >.> Or would you prefer for people to wait until things get more worked-out before jumping into it?
    Last edited by Nixie Styx; 06-19-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Yeah, you should be able to edit the profile later on. I went in afterwards and filled out all of my character information, too.

Jump in whenever you like. This RP might have a little bit of a slow start as we finish all the organizational stuff and get more people joining, but there's no harm in making a few introductory posts. We'll just shift the RP into full gear whenever a fair amount of us are ready.

Alrighty, I got it put up! ^.^ Upon more browsing around, I think my character is going to end up being the Rebellion's mirror to the Loyalists' Mya, if that makes sense. I anticipate many interesting interactions between those two. :3

I will say that I realize I probably took many liberties in my assumptions about the kingdom's martial system, so feel free to have me make edits as you see fit. I know since they're a reclusive kingdom, they probably don't have much need for a strong army, but I sort of had in mind as I was writing it that they were maybe trying to build up defenses as it was becoming apparent that the rebellion was sparking. ...maybe? >.< I spent a lot of time in the sun today, so really... if I'm not making any sense, I blame my dried-up brain.

Just some possible reasons for having a good standing army (all suggestions, of course xD and possibly combinations of them):

- The religion wants to gather together and make loyal the types of people likely to become good soldiers. So they take them in and train them and hopefully instill loyalty in the process. So they won't have to worry about them.

- The religion knows quite well that there are people who can't be conditioned to accept their way of life, so having a (hopefully loyal) standing army will keep more people in line even if they disagree with it. (This also ties in to them knowing that there are rebel groups that exist and wanting to be able to protect themselves from them.)

- They may be isolated, but this may have become by the choice of the extreme religious, who are using the army to prevent people from coming to the country to prevent new ideas and ways of life from being introduced and possibly then adopted by the people.

- It's possible that the country has a lot of natural resources and knowledge about crafts/sciences that the outside world doesn't (either "anymore" or just because they hadn't figured it out yet). They may not have entirely closed themselves off to protect their culture but more to protect their foothold in the valley and the freedom of the people (or that's how it started off, anyway). They could be under constant threat of invasion, but the military keeps them safe (and isolated) and the constant siege could be why trading routes dried up.

Just thoughts that came to me as I was trying to think of various reasons for why there's a military if there aren't enough relations with the outside world to ostensibly justify it. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie Styx View Post
    Alrighty, I got it put up! ^.^ Upon more browsing around, I think my character is going to end up being the Rebellion's mirror to the Loyalists' Mya, if that makes sense. I anticipate many interesting interactions between those two. :3
    Ha, looking forward to their interactions >.< I had a hard time creating Mya, because I wasn't entirely sure of what I wanted her position in the kingdom to be. But, now that she's there... This is going to be fun.
    Simplicity is key

All of CK's explanations sound plausible and possible. A standing army is pretty necessary for every nation - Not only do they have to defend against outside invaders, as unlikely as that would be, but they also have to keep the citizens in line. A growing rebellion would just make the king even more conscious about possible military entanglements.

Those are all good points, so it sounds like she should fit in pretty well. Now I just have to figure out where to start out. I suppose I'll wait until we're closer to getting things started so I know where everyone else is going, if many more people join up. It seems so far like the castle is going to be the hub of things in the beginning, although I had in mind that maybe only a few of the guard were actually allowed inside the castle (unless, of course, in the case of some sort of emergency), to go along with the king's reclusiveness, but maybe that would too severely limit my character's ability to interact. Hmm, but still... an archer indoors seems like a silly plan anyway... *thinking outloud*

In terms of the religious stuff, is the king considered the religious leader too, or is that a whole separate organization?

Allo peoples I got an email from this site and I came to look around and this RP world caught my eye. It looks really interesting. I've read all this thread and most of the character sheets already. I just have one quick question after some exposition.

I plan to make a rebel character who has a strong distaste for the current religion. Would it be out of left field to have him be the founder of a new religion of his own creation? I had in mind for him to have a small band of rebel followers that live with him away from the larger rebel camps.

If you don't mind taking the time to develop a new religion/philosophy like that, then go for it! You'll just have to convince the other rebels to see if they want to follow him.

If nothing else, the king's nightly horse-riding practice may be in an arena that others with a certain level of clearance might be able to access. :3 I wasn't sure whether it should be in a courtyard or arena - and it may be in various locations depending on the weather. (ie: wet/cold would be in the courtyard, warm and dry would be in the arena)

If the king is considered a religious leader, I think it would be only a figurehead position with zero input in policies. Seine's religious views are so soft that I couldn't imagine him being given any more power in religious venues than he seems to have in secular venues. xD (Of course, that wouldn't rule out that the king is supposed to have more religious power than King Seine actually does...)
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmarch View Post
    I plan to make a rebel character who has a strong distaste for the current religion. Would it be out of left field to have him be the founder of a new religion of his own creation? I had in mind for him to have a small band of rebel followers that live with him away from the larger rebel camps.
    I think it'd make for an interesting diversion, for sure... a bit of a moral dilemma for the rebels as they try to determine if the solution is a new religion to fill the void or to shun religion completely.

Would it be alright for him to start with a few no name followers? And I do have a good idea as to what his religion will involve.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    If nothing else, the king's nightly horse-riding practice may be in an arena that others with a certain level of clearance might be able to access. :3 I wasn't sure whether it should be in a courtyard or arena - and it may be in various locations depending on the weather. (ie: wet/cold would be in the courtyard, warm and dry would be in the arena)

If the king is considered a religious leader, I think it would be only a figurehead position with zero input in policies. Seine's religious views are so soft that I couldn't imagine him being given any more power in religious venues than he seems to have in secular venues. xD (Of course, that wouldn't rule out that the king is supposed to have more religious power than King Seine actually does...)
    Ooh, good idea... I suppose he'll have to come outside at some point. Heh.

And yeah, that was part of why I was asking--I'd noticed in the profile that he wasn't particularly hard-and-fast when it came to religious interpretations. I'll keep that in mind... *the plotting continues* >:}

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmarch View Post
    Would it be alright for him to start with a few no name followers? And I do have a good idea as to what his religion will involve.
    That's perfectly fine. There are going to be a lot more people in the country than we can all play, so having a general faceless group of followers isn't too much to ask for. Do you want to make a public character for them or is it okay if they're just described in posts? Because this site has a pretty awesome feature of being able to share characters - If we were to make someone named "Shadowmarch's Religious Mob," then everyone could actually take control of that character and post with them.

If we were to make someone named "Shadowmarch's Religious Mob," then everyone could actually take control of that character and post with them.
    Oh, that'd be awesome xD I do love mobs...
    And I do love the setup of this site. It makes it so easy to keep track of characters and places and the storyline... It's a shame the community isn't bigger.
    Simplicity is key

That's perfectly fine. There are going to be a lot more people in the country than we can all play, so having a general faceless group of followers isn't too much to ask for. Do you want to make a public character for them or is it okay if they're just described in posts? Because this site has a pretty awesome feature of being able to share characters - If we were to make someone named "Shadowmarch's Religious Mob," then everyone could actually take control of that character and post with them.
    That's actually a really interesting idea. I think i'll make a public character sheet as well but more so as a guideline as to what they will be like, and people can use and refer to them when they like or need. That's not to say people couldn't post with them as my character doesn't have complete control over their actions just most. Also i'm picturing his group to be more of a cult than a standard religion.

We'll get more players. xD As I've said elsewhere, if you have friends that roleplay (even if you don't think they'd be interested in the same types of games you are), you could always recommend it to them anyway. They may have roleplaying friends, who have roleplaying friends; etc.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

The more players, the better! I feel like this is the type of roleplay that would benefit from a huge crowd of participants. The nation of Helidor is so big and the story is (hopefully becoming) so epic that trying to organize a ton of participants would only help the plotline feel more sincere. We need those two armies going against each other.

Knerd - This may seem like a silly question, but...

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was thinking that the King's riding lessons would take place in either a courtyard (during poor weather) or an arena (during good weather). I know that the courtyard would be best suited for posting in the castle location, but where would the arena go?

I'd expect the arena would be something that at least any nobility and officials would have access to, but think it might also be interesting to have it something where public events are held during the daytime (and the king would just appropriate it for his own use at night time). But I don't know which location it would "fit" in.

I was thinking my first post with the king would be at the arena, to give him the most amount of access to other characters. But I'm really willing to listen to any ideas. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I had a question that goes along with that -- how far remote is the castle, exactly? I know it's not supposed to be IN the city, right? But is it close, or is it a few days away?

Wow that's a bummer. My browser crashed and I lost about an hour or so of history I wrote. I'll try to rewrite what I lost and get it all done tomorrow.

Oh, that sort of thing is always so painful, Shadowmarch. D: My empathies/sympathies.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I tried to make a little map in Paint for you guys, but it came out as a big ol' mess.

The castle wouldn't be too remote. It's accessible from the city, but separated from the actual population by a set of walls that wrap around the royal grounds. If anyone wants to get inside, they've got to pass through a main enforced gateway. The king would probably have his courtyard, stables, gardens etc. hidden behind the castle that way.

Hmm, an arena might be a bit tougher to place. Converted farmland? That would place it just outside the city and near the river. You can fiddle with that if you like and decide what it actually looks like and how it's built.

I was thinking the farmland areas - close to the town, but outside of it. That works for me. :3 I'll make a post tonight before I go to bed. Thanks. :3

(Too bad about the map. D: There are a few programs online that let you make maps for games, so maybe you could find something like that where you sort of drag and drop elements around? I don't have a program to recommend so... yeah. :x I'm of no help.)
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Great minds think alike.

I ran a quick little search for online map making programs, but I'm wary to click on most of those links. A lot of them lead to weird little forums and fan pages, so there are just too many bad things my computer could pick up from then. I'm open to any suggestions that you guys might have, though! Safe (and free) map making software would be amazing. Until I can find it, I'll just keep attempting to draw something up on my own.