Login to your account

Thread: [LIFESTYLE] edumacation & carears

[LIFESTYLE] edumacation & carears

So, I was just curious who is in college and what your studying. If you're not in college, what do you hope to go to college for? If you're not going to college or you've graduated, what are you doing? What are you past summer jobs? What about your dream job? Did you make the right choice going to college? If not, what did you wish you had done differently?

Xavi's edumacation and carears -
    I'm a forth year student at RIT in Rochester, NYI have a double major: 1) packaging and 2) advertising and public relationsI'm currently co-oping/interning at Kodak in Rochester making... boxesIn the past I've worked at a small company where I did all kinds of odd jobsFirst job was a babysitter - funny story, I made sugarless sugar cookies once with the kids... let's just say the dog didn't even eat the dull, brick blobs

When I graduate in May 2013 I hope to work at that small company I spoke about earlier

Oh, and I wish I hadn't gone to school for packaging... I hate it
    Last edited by Xavirne; 11-18-2014 at 04:00 PM.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I've got to be honest, I didn't know you could go to school for packaging. What made you go for that , or was it just something you stumbled into?

I went to beauty school a few months after I got out of high school. I went to school all day, and worked all night as a clerk at a crummy dollar store kind of place. It was a recipe for miserable. Anyway, it was really something I had to do to put my parents minds at rest for when I went into art school. They really weren't a fan of me doing something so risky so they figured if I did something quick and easy like cosmo school I'd always have something to fall back on.

In my opinion, the industry is terrible. It's full of people I can't stand and in order to make money you have to be pretty darn trendy... which I am not. So moving on to my current status... going back into graphic design and illustration pretty soon, but my main goal is to get some business courses in. Gawsh I love me some business~
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Now that you mention it, I really should explain my major. And by explain, I mean cut and paste! XD

Packaging engineering is a broad topic ranging from design conceptualization to product placement. All steps along the manufacturing process, and more, must be taken into account in the design of the package for any given product. Package engineering includes industry-specific aspects of industrial engineering, marketing, materials science, industrial design and logistics. Packaging engineers must interact with Research & Development, Manufacturing, Marketing, Graphic Design, Regulatory, Purchasing, Planning and so on. The package must sell and protect the product, while maintaining an efficient, cost-effective process cycle.

Engineers develop packages from a wide variety of rigid and flexible materials. Some materials have scores or creases to allow controlled folding into package shapes (sometimes resembling origami). Packaging involves extrusion, thermoforming, molding and other processing technologies. Packages are often developed for high speed fabrication, filling, processing, and shipment. Packaging engineers use principles of structural analysis and thermal analysis in their evaluations.

In other words, I make boxes, crates, bottles, and bags for a living. FML.

Everything, at some point in its life, needs a package. We're in high demand and we make a pretty good salary. We can pretty much work anywhere - Kodak, Kraft Foods, Toyata, Wegmans, NASA, GE, Song, Apple, Proctor and Gamble, GSK, Merck, etc.

The program at RIT is over four years and you have to do a half-year's worth of co-op. We learn about shock and vibration, physics, chemistry, chemistry of materials, polymer technology, flexible containers, ridge containers, marketing, public speaking, package design, SolidWorks, CAD, calculus, etc. We even have to take a microbiology class (which I loved) so we understand why some packages need to be sterilized.

It's an interesting major. Originally, I loved it. Then the professor I liked vanished and the program has gone downhill.

- hangouts -

Hm, now that I think about it you are right. And since you are in such a high and constant demand you'd never be jobless which is a pretty big deal these days when it is so difficult to find a job.

I HATE when that happens though, when you have an amazing professor and then something goes wrong and they poof. Sometimes it really is all about the educators skills, which is why teaching is far more of an art than most people realize.

Eh, I hate it. It's great paying and all, but I hate every minute of the job. It's just not exciting enough for me. I need something exciting and involving other people. Working alone is no fun.

Also, rumor has it he got arrested. O.o No idea if it's true or not. :\

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    going back into graphic design and illustration pretty soon, but my main goal is to get some business courses in. Gawsh I love me some business~[/I]
    Business courses are great with this economy and market! I'm actually working on a marketing minor so I can make myself more marketable.

- hangouts -

Lets trade certifications.

I would love to be surrounded by boxes all day. (But I can see how it would loose it's appeal after a while)

Quote Originally Posted by Schizophrenic View Post
    Lets trade certifications.

I would love to be surrounded by boxes all day. (But I can see how it would loose it's appeal after a while)
    True me, you'd get sick of them. Papercuts... those suck too. And don't get me started on the proper termonology for "cardboard" boxes. It's corrugated, not cardboard. If you say the wrong word, you get yelled at. It's so gay. And it gets really old. I'm like "yes, I know it's corrugated, I'm not stupid."

- hangouts -

I'm actually a Public Relations major with an English minor.

I've finished the classes portion of the degree and have only had to do my internship.... for several years now. >_>; Most of the PR internships in my area are for hospitals, so since I get sick easily (sigh), I've been on a holding pattern since most other internship opportunities are away from home and don't pay anything, so I can't entirely afford to do them. :P

I'm actually hoping when I'm home and all well again to look into the possibilities of an internship at a local museum. That's the sort of job I'd really love having. I'd also like to put my degree towards a career in the hotel or resort industries. I interviewed at a lot of PR firms and got the impression that unless I found a firm that was a very good fit for me, I'd be part of the usual industry churn.

Ultimately, I'd like to write for a living.
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Humble Farmer With a Sword Petrichora's Avatar
    So, I was just curious who is in college and what your studying. If you're not in college, what do you hope to go to college for? If you're not going to college or you've graduated, what are you doing? What are you past summer jobs? What about your dream job? Did you make the right choice going to college? If not, what did you wish you had done differently?
    I'm going to Central Washington University, starting in the fall. (Three weeks, actually.) I'm going to take some music, theater, and dance classes (it was my dream to be a Broadway star). I plan on majoring in criminal justice, so I can go on to be either a homicide detective with a state police department, an SBI Agent, or and FBI Agent. (Of course, I'd prefer to be a Supervisory Special Agent in the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI, but that's a really competitive career.) Basically, I just want to catch killers.

And currently, I am working at a cleaning service, going to people's houses and such and doing things like dusting and vacuuming and bathrooms.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    I'm actually hoping when I'm home and all well again to look into the possibilities of an internship at a local museum. That's the sort of job I'd really love having. I'd also like to put my degree towards a career in the hotel or resort industries. I interviewed at a lot of PR firms and got the impression that unless I found a firm that was a very good fit for me, I'd be part of the usual industry churn.

Ultimately, I'd like to write for a living.
    That's cool. I once considered working in a museum. And what type of stuff do you write?
    While I was waiting. . . I ate your lunch.

Wow you accomplished people make me feel pretty lame lol Unfortunately I'm considered a high school drop out so never went to college as much as I had plans to. Then again, after everything went downhill I had no idea what to even go to college for when my original plans were destroyed.

And career wise, I'm an unemployed, disabled, Artist/Writer. Unfortunately, currently unpublished but I am determined to eventually get there. One day!
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichora View Post
    And what type of stuff do you write?

I mostly intend to write young adult fiction, mostly in the fantasy genre or hybrid genres. xD

I'm currently working on a few different dating simulation games (so, I'd be writing "romance" essentially) and I'm seriously considering starting a webcomic which is a parody of RPG video games. xD (And for the parody, I'd be thinking seriously about doing adult "doujinshi" for it on the side. >_> )

So... Uhmmm... I write a lot of different types of things. xD
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Graduated! W00tz. Got a job! YAY. I'm Global Marketing. Spiffy title, I know right?

Maybe three or five years down the road I might go back to college. But I'm not sure. I know some colleges offer free on-line classes so I might just take those to better myself and call it a day. My boyfriend would like me to go to school for either a lawyer or business admin. Not sure I'm feeling either of those. If I did anything, it would be for marketing or communications.

But yeah, that's the update with me.

Past Jobs:
    Babysitter
    Farm helper (for the family business)
    Manufacturing Intern
    Manufacturing Assistant
    Orientation Assistant (College related)
    Note Taker (College related)
    Student Disabilities Worker (College related)
    Packaging Engineer
    Advertising & Public Relations Coordinator
    Last edited by Xavirne; 10-09-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Edited because I liked Wifey's post and wanted to copy her

- hangouts -

Duke's Edumacation!
    Currently on my last year for my Bachelor's in Accounting.
    I have my associates in general education.
    My degree originally started as an associates in graphic design.

Teh Work Places
    I was a babysitter.
    I worked on a fiber (sheep) farm.
    I was a waitress.
    I've made pizza.
    I've sold toy (Toys R Us).
    I currently sell glasses.

Le Dreams
    Ultimate dream: Own my own business
    Other awesome dreams: Working in payroll or something budget related

Eghads, Duke has a deviantART?!

:O The things I learn! I didn't know you were a waitress! Or that you worked on a sheepy farm :3

- hangouts -

The waitressing was when I was with my ex. The sheep farm was back in high school and it still remains to be my favorite job. I like jobs that require some sort of effort, whether physical or mental. I've been enjoying making things for my cosplay because I have to think differently than I'm used to, which is awesome. I don't have any physical jobs anymore though, sadly...

Eghads, Duke has a deviantART?!