Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thalia's Journal

Humble Farmer With a Sword Petrichora's Avatar
    In the 1474th year of the Gods, Autumn, Twenty and fourth day

Father gave me this journal for the seventeenth anniversary of my birth. He says it is best to keep a journal for posterity, so our children can know the true history of things. So I suppose I should be writing about important things, like my brother's wedding or the execution of the Bastard Knight. Maybe they'll use my journal when then write the histories and family logs of Sagore.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-15-2011 at 12:28 AM.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Autumn, Fifty and seventh day

I haven't written for quite a while. But, nothing note-worthy has happened yet. My posterity isn't interested in reading about nothing. Well, nothing except Henrik's wedding.

Henrik's wedding went well. His wife, Phoebe, a younger daughter of the Lord Esben Montagu, was beautiful in her ivory gown. And she's so sweet. Henrik's really a lucky man. Of course, Phoebe is lucky, too. She is to be the future queen of Sagore. She and Henrik will make wonderful rulers, wise and caring. I hope to someday have a pairing that works just as well as theirs.

The gifts were. . . extravagant and tasteless at best. Lord Halvard Tane and his wife brought a mounted moose head. Some farmer gave them a tiny pony, which was sooo adorable, but also impractical. What would they do with a tiny pony? I guess it'd be perfect for when their children started to learn to ride. The dressmaker from the village donated fifty yards of velvet. Fifty yards! And the other gifts. . . There were just too many mention. I guess it might be what a newly married couple needs, though. I won't know until I'm married.
    While I was waiting. . . I ate your lunch.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Autumn, Sixty and first day

Oliver says that the nations are on the verge of war. Something to do with Dragonhalle. He says that Dragonhalle has been searching for dragons again. Apparently, every few decades or so they send out a contingent of knights to search for any surviving dragons. But the last dragon died over a thousand years ago. There can't possibly be any dragons left. Can there?

I think we should send someone to find out what's really happening at Dragonhalle. Oliver says that I'm absurd. Dragonhalle hasn't made any move against any other kingdom yet. For us to move against them would certainly mean war. It'd be best to keep the peace and try to stay out of Dragonhalle's way.

But what if while we're busy trying not to be noticed, Dragonhalle gets so powerful that we can't possibly win? At least if we strike now we'd have a chance.

Oliver says to leave the warring to the men and get back to my embroidery. I guess he's probably right.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Autumn, Eighty and second day

Phoebe is with child! I am to be an aunt. I can't wait!

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Ninth day

Father is ill. Archiater Mulion is certain it's the Lady Grey Death. If that's true, then he has less than a season left. He'll be gone before spring. Father never liked winter. Death is cruel to make Father die during winter. Father deserves to be warm when he dies.

He can't die. Not yet. There is so much. . .I am still unwed. Father should see me wed. I don't want him to die. Not now. Not ever.

Please, dear Gods, Gods of old and new, Gods of my fathers, please don't let Father die. He has so much to live for.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Twentieth day

Father is worse. He is constantly having these coughing fits and every now and then he'll cough up blood. He's been bedridden for almost two weeks now. Archiater Mulion says that if it really is the Lady Grey Death, then he may still live. If he doesn't get start getting better after four weeks, though, there is no way to save him and he'll spend the next eight weeks slowly dying. However, after the first four weeks, the Lady Grey Death may decide that he's fought valiantly and let him live.

I must find a way to get Father to fight the Lady Grey Death.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-15-2011 at 12:29 AM.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Thirty and eighth day

Archiater Mulion won't let any one in to see Father, not even Mother. He says we'd make him weary and less able to fight. If he is to get better now, he needs complete solidarity. It's been four weeks now. He has to start getting better!
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-15-2011 at 12:29 AM.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Thirty and ninth day

Archiater Mulion won't give tell us how Father is. Certainly, he's just waiting a little longer to make certain Father is getting well, so as not to get our hopes up.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Fortieth day

Still no news of Father.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Fifty and seventh day

I've finally stopped crying.

Father didn't fight strong enough. Archiater Mulion told us several days ago that he's only gotten worse. Since it had been more than four weeks, that means he's not going to live.

I can't believe Father is dying.

I would have written sooner, but. . . I just couldn't bring myself to write it. Writing it just makes things so. . . final. And besides that, I was spending all my time crying. The day after Archiater Mulion told us of Father's fate, Oliver visited me in my room. I hadn't come down for dinner the night before, nor breakfast that morning. He says that it's alright to cry. That even the bravest of knights cry at the death of a loved one. He told me that Father wouldn't want me to lose faith. He told me that Father loves me very much and even after he died, he'd still be with me.

Now, I find it best if I just sit at the window and watch the birds on the parapets and be thankful I'm no longer crying. Mother says the salt ruins my complexion.

In the 1474th year of the Gods, Winter, Ninety and third day

Father has died. Mother is beside herself with grief. Henrik is detached. I think he's trying to be strong so as to appear a worthy king. Oliver disappeared somewhere. Probably to the rookery. He always did love the birds. Father always kept owls, messenger pigeons, falcons, and hawks.

And I. . . Well, I can do nothing more but cry. Complexion be damned.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Spring, Seventh day

Father's funeral is to be today. He's to be cremated and his ashes spread over the lake, as all Sagalvis are. The castle is crowded with those attending the funeral. Those who live farther than a se'ennight away will pay their respects by tossing moonflowers and starblossoms, silverbells and goldenhearts into Lake Zinnia. After a Sagalvi funeral, the lake is completely covered with flowers. Father's will be no different.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Spring, Tenth day

Today is Henrik's coronation. It was supposed to be a happy day. With Father. Henrik was supposed to be crowned king back in the winter, when Father stepped down from the throne, but with Father's illness. . . It should have been a happy day.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Summer, Thirty and third day

It has been so long since Father's death. Life in the castle has fallen back into a familiar routine. Mother and Eir still put sundrops in the lake for Father. Every day, they venture out to the forest around the castle to pick the small blossoms, Father's favorite. He'd said once that in the time of the dragons, a knight, weary from travel and weak from battle, was about to give in to death when the Sun took pity on him and dropped a bit of life to the earth. The knight, noticing the bright yellow flower in the grim forest picked it, a bit of happiness in death. The flower did not restore him to life, but he no longer feared death. Father said that the knight who carried a sundrop with him to battle would be the bravest on the battlefield, because he would not fear death.

Henrik is turning out to be the king we expected him to be, kind and fair and wise, if a bit impulsive.

I am. . . well. Oliver makes me laugh again. And Phoebe is showing. Archiater Mulion says she is doing well, too, and that the prince or princess is expected in early Autumn.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Summer, Sixty and first day

Phoebe is having complications, or so Archiater Mulion says. She can't keep anything down. She can't get out of bed without help. She reports sharp pains in her head, neck, and back. She is constantly sweaty, and when she pisses, it comes out red. Mother says this is normal, but Archiater Mulion is the physician, not her.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Summer, Sixty and eighth day

Phoebe seems much better. Archiater Mulion says the only thing wrong with her now is her fever. She's been eating better, and the baby is fine.

I'm so relieved.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Autumn, Ninth day

A beautiful baby boy! Henrik and Phoebe have a beautiful baby boy. Tobias. A fat, happy baby. It was like he came out of his mother laughing. Tobias Sagalvi, heir to the throne of Sagore. Tobias Sagalvi, the Laugher.

I'm an aunt!

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Autumn, Seventy and third day

Tobias is getting so big! He's going to be a big, strong man someday, I just know it. Phoebe let's me hold him from time to time. I hold him in my arms and rock him and he just laughs and gurgles his little baby gurgles.

One time, he vomited on me. It ruined my favorite green dress. Mother wasn't too happy about that, but I can't stay mad at Toby.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Winter, Ten and fourth day

At the Councill today, Peter Tane, Lord Halvard Tane's son, reported that Dragonhalle is discussing a possibly marriage arrangement. I don't see the significance of this. So they're going to marry of their prince. Even the son of the dragon deserves love. Or, rather, since it's an arranged marriage, then everyone deserves a chance at love, I guess.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Winter, Ten and fifth day

Oliver says that the only reason anyone is making a fuss over this Dragonhalle marriage is because it's Dragonhalle. I know that once Dragonhalle was a great realm, all powerful, with the power of the dragons, but that was over a thousand years ago. Dragonhalle is nothing but ruins now. It can't be that big of a threat.

And as for these dragons that Dragonhalle is looking for. If they exist, then why have we never seen them?

Father used to tell us stories of these dragons. They were great beasts. Some were as large as a castle, other as small as a chicken. But they talked. They talked and thought just like humans. They were intelligent and ferocious, with scales that no man-made weapons could pierce. They were invincible. Any nation with power over the dragon was invincible.

Of course, they weren't as invincible as they thought.

Dragonhalle had tried taking over the five kingdoms before. They'd made a pact with the dragons. But in the end, the dragons turned on them, leaving Dragonhalle in near ruins, a skeleton of the grand kingdom it must have once been.

This is where Father's story always got a bit confusing. No one is really sure how the dragons were killed. Of course, no one was thinking about recording it for posterity at the time. They were too busy trying to not get eaten or scorched by dragons.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Winter, Thirtieth day

Mother and Eir are to travel to Lord Tane's lands today. Lord Tane asked Mother to visit. I think he fancies her. Mother has it in her mind to marry Eir off to Lord Tane's son, Peter, the knight. They are to be gone for the rest of Winter and all of Spring.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Winter, Sixty and fourth day

Mother writes that Eir and Peter are sure to be falling in love. They've spent nearly every minute together since Eir arrived. Aside from when Peter had to leave on duty, of course.

Tobias is crawling everywhere. I swear, Phoebe is nearly always hunched over trying to pick him up.

In the 1475th year of the Gods, Winter, Seventy and eighth day

Eir and Peter are engaged to be married. Mother writes that Eir is all smiles and that Peter is a right gentleman. I don't care much for Peter. He always seemed...smarmy.

As for me, when I marry, I want him to be charming and funny. Handsome, certainly, but his appearance means nothing to me. He will be handsome because I love him. Intelligent. I shall not marry a man who I can't converse with. He has to make me smile, and he has to smile himself.

Oh, if only Oliver knew that I dreamed of love. He'd laugh in my face. Sometimes, I think Oliver doesn't believe in love. Sooner or later, he will be so infatuated with some maiden, and when that happens, I will stand up and laugh.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-19-2011 at 02:38 AM.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Spring, Second day

I found one of Father's sundrops today, out in the forest. I have picked it and pressed it in your pages for safe-keeping, a bit of courage for the future.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Spring, Twenty and second day

Councill today. It seems Dragonhalle has been in talks with the kingdom across the sea. Some say they plan to marry Prince Marius to the princess that kingdom. I've heard it's a barbaric land filled with savages, warriors skilled at skinning a beast in seconds. Though, I can't help thinking that they can't be as savage as we make them seem. Or at least, not more barbaric than we are. With all our warring and hunting. And our men can't seem to use their silverware at dinner. Especially not Oliver.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Spring, Eighty and first day

Dragonhalle. They seem to be doing a lot lately. Searching for dragons. Making marriage arrangements.
    Building mountain passes to nowhere.

No one at Councill seems to think this is an important issue. According to them, Dragonhalle has always been doing things that prove fruitless. Maybe they're right, but it'd probably be wise to send someone to investigate.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Summer, Ten and ninth day

Mother and Eir will be spending more time with Lord Tane and Peter. Instead of coming back at the end of Spring, they've decide to stay there until the wedding in Autumn. Mother will come back after the wedding, but Eir will be moving there permanently with Peter.

Phoebe has regained most of her pre-Tobias beauty. She's started wearing her old dresses again. Some, that were almost too small for her to begin with, she has given me. She says they're to replace the one that Tobias ruined.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Summer, Fifty and fifth day

It has been confirmed. Prince Marius is to marry the princess from across the sea. An odd wind blows the stench of deceit. I don't like it. Something must be done. At Councill, everyone finally agreed that someone must be sent, but they couldn't decide who should go. Everyone had an excuse.

No one would listen to me. I could go. I'm available. And no one from Dragonhalle knows me. But Henrik would not hear of it.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Summer, Fifty and sixth day

Henrik pulled me aside after breakfast and banned me from future Councill sessions, saying war was too stressful for a woman and too confusing.

In the 1476th year of the Gods, Summer, Seventy and first day

I have decided that I am going to Dragonhalle. Henrik has ignored me for the last fortnight. He'll not notice me gone until it's too late. I have already talked to Ulric Orim, Commander of the Guard, and he's arranged for me to join the service of the queen of Dragonhalle as a servant.

Together, we decided that I would be known as Liesel Sunna, a maid of Castle Sagore in danger of being discovered by my lover's wife, and executed. My lover being an unknown lord. Ulric's correspondence confirms the queen's acceptance of a new servant. She will be expecting me in two fortnight's time. I must leave by tomorrow night if I'm to make it in time. I will not be working closely with the queen, as I'd hoped. But I've been assigned as a servant to the princess from across the sea, in addition to the maid she brought with.

Maybe she'll teach me of her land. I should like to go there some day.
    Last edited by Petrichora; 08-19-2011 at 03:54 AM.