Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Western Interest Thread

Vampire Western Interest Thread

Okay guys, so I'm considering making a vampire/supernatural western roleplay. Like Cowboys and stuff. Think Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style, but with a much darker environment and with things like vampires etc. Perhaps even using a clan system similiar to Vampire the Masquerade.

And I assure you, there will be no sparkles. It would probably be an intermdiate level one or two paragraphs for post, likely unlimited spots for characters and pretty free from, just a setting most likely.

What do you lovely people here at WTF think of that?

/me raises interest hand

Interest here!

My personal preference would be to lean towards a less "magical" style, so that vampires exist because of a disease (or something) and don't have inexplicable fantasy properties (for example, inability to enter a person's home without an invitation). So, VTM!

^ Pretty much that. Though VtM has a sort of vampire magic. I don't mind doing away with VtM clan disciplines but not sure that's what you meant.

okay yeah, I like that too. Westerns and Magic just don't seem to go together lol. but I wouldn't want the disease to be so bad that they cant function. Honestly I wasn't planning on spending much time on the whys, just the vampires and surviving that etc.

Yeah not much reason to spend time on the why's, they're unlikely to know.

... I just noticed we have an interest gathering forum... woow.

If you make it I think I'd stalk it for a while... until I get back into my normal rp habit and stop being lazy then I might join it. Would have to fix up a vampire for it though... I don't think my evil little girl vampire who is around a million years old but looks eight would work in it.

Western and Magic so go together just like Western and Ninja's go together too. Just a little two cent comment on that.
    Want to rp? Send me a PM!

Story of Us a small town slice of fantasy life.
    Shichiyou Academy is Adult Rated School.

Never fear! I have moved it with a redirect. xD The redirect will expire after one week.

There was something else I was going to say, but now I've completely forgotten what it is. D: ::scrolls back up to re-read::

Ah! Yes. Have you ever read the Vampire Hunter D novels? Some of them are set in deserts and pretty much all of them read like Westerns. There's a lot of magic, but also a lot of steampunk and badassery so it sort of balances out. xD
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

I declare this thread open again!

(Oops. >_>; )
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I have not read them actually lol. I just like westerns. And vampires. Cause I cant stand playing a human lol.

Humans can be fun, but I like more-than-humans best. xD;

Of course, most of my roleplaying experience has been with playing cat-people or people-people. But the people-people were usually superheroes, so not quite regular human people. xD;

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

/stops totally spamming mostly off-topic yabber in your thread. >_>
    (Apologies. D: )
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

LOL, Maneki. You were so entertaining this thread. xD Hey, you're bumping it at least! <3

humans are weird to play... and I'm not saying that because I can't play a human to save my life. Closest thing to a human I can play is an witch or someone with powers.

Again random comment... now I must try to stay awake long enough to do one more post.

No worries Maneki, it bumps the thread which would be great, cause I wanna see if people want this. Also Eden. Already started a playlist if you are interested:

O Look! A Vampire Western Playlist!

Ooooh, awesome a91!

Wild West and Vampires? I'm unsure on that. Also the player level is too high for me, not there yet.
    Hey I got Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid on DVD!

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Not sure why I posted that. But that's the kind of Wild West I'm familiar with. It's based upon Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Different characters but the same premise.
    Edit: I actually wrote a fan fic in that fandom with super natural elements. A few people didn't like it and thought it was unfitting with the Wild West theme. :/ Anyway....
    Last edited by Brook V; 08-08-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

@brook-that's not too high for you. The posts you do in haven are the length I was looking for. You are an intermediate roleplayer in my eyes. Beginner to me is like one liners. You'd be fine. Also I mainly care about quality, and you are a good writer.

And butch cassidy is around what I mean, just with vampires. It sounds odd but I think done correctly, it would work. Also, some people are just genre elitist, that may be why they didnt like it. Id like to read it though. Maybe I should do a sample post or something to illustrate what I meant

There are some genres I'm probably pretty snobby about keeping pure, but I like to keep an open mind as much as possible because some of the things I've enjoyed the most were mashed-up genres. :3 ....I can't think of anything directly off the top of my head, but I blame the coughing. :3

/continues to spam, thusly encouraged by both thread host and others.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I totally understand wanting to keep genres pure. But I'm going to do my very best to make this a well done roleplay, making sure it doesn't step into bad fanfic territory lol. I think keeping it dark helps, as does qualifying it as a more intermidiate roleplay. Although I may make a location in it for beginner roleplayers to roleplay too and maybe I'll give em pointers if they're interested in that.

Also if you any of you know awesome western sounding rock songs/songs in general please tell me.

I think my negative reactions to genre-mashing is when they're done poorly, now that you mention it. I don't think I've ever watched/read something and gone, "That was brilliant, but I hated that they blended Genre A and Genre B together. >:|" Haha.

I suppose my thing is if they don't study the genres enough to have even a layman's understanding of them that's the problem. The result often ends up seeming disrespectful to both. A sort of, "I'm only doing this because it's popular."

Not that I'm suggesting your RP would be guilty of this. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by a91nicole View Post
    I totally understand wanting to keep genres pure. But I'm going to do my very best to make this a well done roleplay, making sure it doesn't step into bad fanfic territory lol. I think keeping it dark helps, as does qualifying it as a more intermidiate roleplay. Although I may make a location in it for beginner roleplayers to roleplay too and maybe I'll give em pointers if they're interested in that.

Also if you any of you know awesome western sounding rock songs/songs in general please tell me.
    A few thoughts as far as realism:

-Tiny frontier town couldn't really support many vampires, you'd need a big frontier town.
    -Town should be much more likely to be suspicious than modern day towns.
    -If you're going VtM, bet there'd be no camarilla foothold or established hierarchy. ie an anarch free state

@ Maneki- I totally know what you mean. Roleplays that try to be a genre but actually know nothing about it aren't a pleasant thing at all lol. And I didn't think you were, I figured you were just expressing thoughts, its all good in the hood

@Eden- Good points, I was actually thinking of making it more than one town, have some plains in there, gold mining etc etc, I want to make more of an open world where its mostly a setting and people have their own independent stories that tie in rather than one overarching plot in one town. Also I'd have to research VtM if I were to do that, im not as familiar with that.

I'd suggest then maybe not doing it VtM lore then, and just leaving things vague.

Yeah thats probably a good idea.

I'm gonna bring something else up, if I'm understanding that ya want it more wild west type with vampires and such,.. would there be any modern day stuff in it? Like indoor plumbing (only the rich seemed to have it back in the wild west type days), what type of cars, how far long would trains and guns be, types of clothing that it would have (like would girls be outcasts for wearing mens clothing and not dresses/other female clothing), gonna follow the old west school settings or have it differently... that type of stuff is all I can think about at the moment.

Just to get a clearer picture of it. I hope my country roots aren't showing too much with asking this.
    I know I did a spacey western rp once that failed horribly... probably because the guy I was making it with wanted everything to be completely spacey and I wanted more of a wild west with a few modern things.

No cars, maybe rich people indoor plumbing, trains would be steam engines, guns would be the typical guns that you think of when you think of cowboys. I would also say women were okay with wearing men's clothes, unless you wanted them too. How do you think that should be? I think the frontier schools would be okay. I'm thinking of making this the gold rush time period or something. Fairly typical wild west. Think small towns and saloons and gunslingers and duels and probably some battles with native americans. Horses are the main method of transport.

Actually I appreciate the input. I like people's opinion. It seems there's enough interest, so I'm going to go ahead and make it but it will be under contrustion for a while. Also have you ever watched firefly? That sounds like the type of roleplay you were trying to do, and if you haven't seen Firefly I think you'd really enjoy it.

I have opened the roleplay for profiles.

Take My Love, Take My Land

I'm be tempted to do the cliche thing and have a Native American vampire (cliche, but I've taken a class in California Indians and another in that era of California history as relevant to women, working class and non-whites, so I totally got this.) But realistically a dark-skinned person in that time and place not getting constantly shot at isn't that feasible...hm.

its a fantasy roleplay, if you want to play them play them. I trust you to play them well, so I'm not worried lol.

Also you could make her back story as such that she's welcomed among whites. Perhaps she saved a white child at one point?
    Last edited by a91nicole; 08-11-2011 at 07:05 AM.