Alexander stepped around the corner, head still down as it had been all day, hood over his eyes. There was absolutely no way he could risk getting caught here, he was a madman for even coming. Everyone knew elves and humans didn't mix, that had been true even before the disaster, even before the fighting and relocation. It had been true when he was just a babe, and he hadn't been a babe for a little over two hundred years now. This was a bad idea, this was a very, very bad idea, he should turn back, he should go home, he should-

No. He shook his head gently to clear away those thoughts, they would get him no where. He was here now, he had to be here, he had to get what he came here for. No, her certainly couldn't turn back now, not now that he'd gotten so close, not after he'd come so far. What would they think? he mused darkly What would they think of me if I came back empty handed, if I came back without it? If I hadn't even tried? No, nope, not at all he couldn't do that, that would be wrong.

Tugging the cloak a little tighter around him as the wind picked up he paused in his walk to look up at the sky. Large blue gray clouds were gathering overhead, blocking out the sun that had been shining so cheerily just hours ago. A storm was coming their way and he'd have to hurry if he wanted to get on his way home tonight. There was no way he'd let himself leave the city if it was pouring down.

He couldn't stand being rained on, as odd as that sounded to some people, he really couldn't. It wasn't so much the being cold part, or even the being wet part, he happened to love the cold and water just as much as the next guy, and maybe a little more on the cold, he just didn't like the feeling of his clothes sticking to him. For some reason it just really drove him crazy, he'd do what ever he could to avoid it honestly and he knew if he didn't leave before the rain came down he'd find somewhere to haul up and wait it out.

"A waist of time" he muttered softly as he turned another corner, he was closer now, almost there. Goodness, why did he have to be sent on this run? He hated being in these cities, all these people clamoring about, chatting loudly, going on as if their lives were the dandiest things in the world. So oblivious. They were all so oblivious to the suffering they caused others, his people and the creatures of the land they so greedily stole to expand. So ignorant.

He scoffed as he walked passed two men having quite the cruel and explicit conversation about the worth of elves. If he wasn't on a mission, and if he was a complete idiot, he would've drawn his sword and cleaved their heads clear off. But, he wasn't an idiot and he was on a mission so he simply walked by, disregarding them as much as he could.

He winced as he turned again and found himself in the central market. Yes, this was where he needed to go, needed to be, but he most certainly didn't want to be here. He was so loud! Alexander didn't know if it was just him but it seemed his ears were particularly sensitive and all the chatter was driving him mildly crazy. Hands clenching unseen under his fabric sanctuary he slowed his walk, looking from stall to stall for the one he needed.

"Found it."
The words were muttered as his destination came into view. It was a basic wooden stall, like all the others, but draped with a fine green cloth. On it several herbs were placed carefully, bottles placed just as meticulously before the seller, an elderly woman with a severely slouched back and gnarled hands.

He walked up slowly and she looked up at him, raising an eyebrow in silent question. "Salivan serum" he said, voice low.

"Some one struck with the fever in town?" she asked, a mildly surprised and worried look on her face.

He shook his head. "No... Moorvile... my little sister" this was of course a lie. He had no sister first of all and second he knew no one in Moorvile. The one the medicine was for, truly, was a small halfling who'd wandered to their reservation not two months ago. The child had obviously been a mistake since humans and elves didn't usually breed, even when relations were good, and had been abandoned. She was close enough in appearance to one of them to be allowed in by the elders and her true type was only known to the elders, himself and the two others that had found her.

His people really were too kind.

"I wish ye luck then. It takes quickly of the young" the woman replied. "Ten piece please."

Ten?! It's gone up two... I'll have to spend my own.
Since when had the price gone up? Money was a rarity where he came from and to spend his own for a child he wasn't even particularly close to or fond of... He fetched his pouch and produced the ten she asked for, dropping them into her open palm as she passed the bottle over.

"Thank you" the echoed each other and she smiled, he nodded and turned away, ready to go.

"S-Stop! Stop it! Leave me alone!"
the voice of a young woman rang loudly over the clamor and several people turned to see what the commotion was. At a fruit stall, just a few over, a young redheaded woman wearing a green cloak was being brutalized by three older, and much larger, men. Not unusual, humans are rather uncivilized brutes. Don't even know how to treat their women properly.

He made to turn away when she screamed again, the sound followed by a harsh cry of "she's one o' them!" He turned back quickly, eyes widening when he saw her pointed ears. Another elf... another elf in trouble.

Almost every fiber of his being was telling him to turn away, run away, to keep out of it. They were out numbered by hundreds there was no way he could do anything but get himself killed along with her but...

"Please! Help!" Ilse cried out fearfully, gray eyes large with fright. "Please" but all they did was stare at her with contempt, a few with wonder, and some with disgust. She'd been right, everyone had been right, humans were terrible, terrible creatures.

The man holding her arms shoved her roughly down and she landed on the ground with a thump, dropping the contents of her basket, all of them scattering on the ground. Oh no she thought. Oh... oh everyone is going to be so disappointed. Though, perhaps everyone back home and their feelings weren't the most pressing matters at the moment. She tried to sit up again but a swift kick to her back stopped that and she cried out. She was sure it was going to happen again and braced herself for the impact but, it never came.

She looked up when she heard people gasping and the men crying out in pain. Above her a cloaked figure stood, sword drawn and pointed at one of the men, gasping on his knees. "Barbarians" he spat and she could only gaze up at him with adoration. He looked back down, his eye catching hers. "Get up" he ordered, just as the crowed around them began to work itself up.

She complied, rising shakily to her feet. He grabbed her wrist and hauled her roughly up as he dragged her through a smaller group of people, far too shocked to act. He could hear them starting to take chase and sighed. "Why does this always happen to me?" he asked aloud, Ilse blinking at him curiously.