Login to your account

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: random tangent thread

Causeee I am kind of too lazy/distracted/busy to really make more of a response I use myanimelist.net to store all my manga and anime lists~ -skips off to replyyyy to SoF-

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

note: which of course as I just saw, Tahiel did mention. Ahhhh I am completely in the clouds today.

lol yeah have some of my manga and anime there too (but there's a lot I've read/watched and forgotten to add).

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    hmm and as for menga being unequal to books, I would have to argue that. Although much menga is 'popcorn' quality, so are most if not all romance books. On the other hand there are many graphic novels/menga with intense, wonderful stories such as the Sandman series
    My library doesn't carry them- but that's because my library sucks. lol

But, that's not quite what I mean- don't get me wrong, I love manga (and other types of comic books and graphic novels), and I'm not saying they can't have deep stories or the like; I know that they can, and I'm into series that have more than the typical HS romance kinda thing too.
    I'm categorizing them purely by looks and in my own little way, and not for them being "light reading".
    In my eyes: Several pages of nothing but text with occasional picture = book. Several pages of drawings with speech bubbles = not book. Perhaps not very accurate or fair to them, but simple. XDDD

(ooc)

lol my concept of a book is pretty broad. After all, I have been told by people in the past that audio books don't count as books either, and I /strongly/ disagree with that one. To me, the difference between menga/graphic novels, written word books, and audio books is like the difference between a concert, a play and a ballet. They may appear vastly different on the surface, but they all come from the same root source. Often times, one will have aspects of another. Some people might prefer one type over another, but to me they are all equal and valid.

Though as for that wedsite, I've seen calendars on there, and posters, lol, so it kinda fails at limiting the sources to primarily books.

lol yeah, well it has librarians working but not everyone catches everything. XD I'd really have to re-check the rules of what's allowed someday.
    I see what you mean though (tho I'm not sure what I consider audio books myself. XD Since I've only come across them twice I've never given it a real thought, but it makes sense to count them as books!)

My gripe with manga there comes mostly from the fact that I like to compare books with friends and to find new reads (mostly in subjects that are a harder find here, such as fantasy), and when they have 500 manga titles (with 70% categorized as fantasy, too... ) versus 50 (of what *I* consider) "real" books, it screws up our totals.
    Well, of course our matches are only 10%- I'm not adding the shitload of manga I read, it's a whooooooooole lot more than I care to even look up. XD I think I'd be up to around 2000+ titles if I added all the manga and comics I've read so far. lol
    I think if it wasn't because of that, I wouldn't really mind them being there. :P

(ooc)

I live for audio books, xp. My work allows us to listen to mp3 players and when I lost the ability to listen to t.v. on mine (when t.v. went to the new broadcasting system in the U.S.) i quickly grew bored of music and started checking my library's audio book section.I have since wiped out my library selection, become a frequenter of Libravox (awesome website) and come to listen to books I read years ago, enjoying the experience in a whole new way. (Xanth is funny, hearing the reader try to translate text based puns into audio, lol and some works like Dresden Files and Sookie Stackhouse books are well read by readers who sound like their characters.)

I hear your point about menga though. I think I might only list my top one or two menga series on there. If they /do/ allow menga, they should honestly have a whole subcategory for that so it doesn't muck up the fantasy category.

It's probably not, but is Libravox free? XD
    The only audiobook I actually listened to was the fourth book of the glittery vampires lol only because I couldn't be arsed to read such a huge book after all the whiny stuff on the previous one. XD I don't know if it was the fact that the book wasn't that fun to me, or that audiobooks aren't my thing, but I found myself getting terribly distracted and having to re-listen to things. :P

There are a lot of books I wish I could find here that I don't- Xanth, the Hitchihker's Guide, the Dresden Files, and the Sookie Stackhouse are only some of them. If I hadn't been sent the Song of Ice and Fire ones, I probably wouldn't have been able to find them here before the series aired. Even Pratchett's books are hard to come by- I've only found some on the local specialized English bookshop. And I'm not even going into the fact that books have become really expensive here. <_<; (And I mean it, like $30 bucks a book that should be $12)
    It's honestly become cheaper to buy them abroad at used shops (though they usually abuse shipping charges -_-).

I'm trying to see if we can invest on a kindle (or the like), but they're also pricey (as are the books, from what I've been seeing).

ETA: And yeah on the manga thing. A way to "separate" them would be good, though most is how people shelve them. If you stick them in a "manga" shelf it helps (but will still mess up results :P).
    Last edited by Tahiel; 07-23-2011 at 12:54 AM.

(ooc)

Surprised you haven't resorted to downloading pdf's and stuff of books with that sort of expenses
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

http://librivox.org/ in infact 100% free, the catch being that it is only book in the public domain (which includes such classics as Alice in Wonderland and all of the Oz books) and also all read by volunteers. Some of the books sound like your grand mother reading to you, lol, but others are well produced with great sound quality. It's a bit hit or miss until you find the readers you like, but I love it any how. Also, lots of more recent scifi stuff is public domain because they don't seem to set the copy write for very long on those.

I actually have 1-20 something of Xanth on audio, all but the most recent Dresden files on audio, and ll but the most recent of the disc world books on audio. i might be able to send them to you if you have a file sharing site that you trust. I got my xanth books from the library for the blind and totally put em on my computer cause I am ebil like that. (honestly, it was the only place that I could find them on audio and I wanted to own them my self >.>. Shh, I have a friend who is legally blind and I get the books then put them on mp3 for her and keep a copy for my self.)

Tigerkytti; I have. I have a huuuge library of them. But I have neck/back pain so sitting on the computer to read them kills me. XD (Plus there's just something about real books... <3) Which is why I need a kindle-eske type of computer.
    I was using my old Jornada to read them, but the battery keeps getting drained so I have to take it to fix, someday. May end up cheaper to just get a kindle.

Aerion; Ah, that's cool! :3 And lol. That'd be cool if you could send them though. <333 I usually stick to Mediafire, it's the one that gives me least trouble in downloading (not so much in uploading, lately, but that may be related to my internet, not the site XD)
    But anyhow, it'd be cool. X) I could play them on my mp3 player while I organize stuff. lol 8D

(ooc)

Ah I can sympathize for sure about the neck/back pain x.x That's suckish x.x I've had to resort to downloading books myself since I hardly get out anymore, and expenses suck here too. I dunno if there's even a used book store here o.o *is just realizing this* jeebus x.x
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

*random happy dance for the return of the site*

-joins random happy dance-

I didn't even get to read the warning beforehand Y_Y lol I was wondering what had happened. XD

(ooc)

x-x -pats- lol I read it briefly the other day but I was asleep through most of it xD. btw Tahiel, I'm working on zee hair tutorial now Sorry it's takin a bit.

Ohh, no problem! I'm eager to see~

(ooc)

It's up on DA

You make it look easy! lol

(ooc)

x-x sorrryyy D; I've never really had to explain how I draw ^.^;;

Speaking of drawing... I made two.. decent I guess, Elven. Don't got a tablet or a scanner though so I can't share it. Bummer.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Ahhh that sucks D; I don't have a scanner either >.< but I just use a camera and upload my traditional drawings that way xD
    Last edited by Lumine; 07-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.

... heads. Tried to draw some equipment and jewelery/clothes. The equipment and jewelery looked odd though.

@Lumine Guess I'll have to do that then.
    Last edited by Brook V; 07-24-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Zone District

I'm sure it looks fine I look forward to seeing them~

Haha, I use my camera too when I'm lazy (my scanner is on a computer that doesn't have internet at the moment, so it's off when I'm not working on it somehow).

And it's not so much the explaining, but the skill and practiced ease that makes it look easy, Lumine.

(ooc)

I suppose I should say thank you then? xD I've been practicing and drawing a lot lately, though most of it just goes into scraps rather than on DA. But I hope I made it look simple enough? It really is just like that, using three layers of three different colours. I'm too lazy to detail hair to make it look any more realistic than that most of the time.

I've drawn a human male now. The eyes looks a bit too big and the face looks too generic. :sighs:
    Zone District

Don't be so hard on yourself Drawing takes time and practice. Even for the professionals.

I know... but I need pics for my characters. Guess i have to rely on Sims 2 for the time being. Perhaps I should get The Sims Medieval...
    Last edited by Brook V; 07-24-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Corrected a big typo!
    Zone District

There's a Medieval Sims?! Bwahhh I wantttt xD

Yep. Came out some time this year. It's fantasy oriented medieval time-frame. It's a bit of RP in it too. (Someone said it was a better RPG then Dragon Age 2!!!)

You can't built your own buildings and don't got the same control of your world as in previous games though. It's very quest based.
    Zone District

o_o -grabby hands- wantttt. xD I love DA2 <3