Login to your account

Thread: Maneki Neko's "Gosh I hope I get these done before Avcon" thread.

Maneki Neko's "Gosh I hope I get these done before Avcon" thread.

Soooo. Yes!

I'll be going to a convention (I don't suppose I've mentioned it yet, have I? ;p) and we'll be having an art table where I'll be selling things.

Unfortunately, I'm so out of art practice that I'm being lazy and not arting when I should. I'll be on a plane in a little over two days as of this post and all I have are a few sketches. Eeep.

So I'm making this thread to share what I'm working on and hoping that by posting my progress I may be more motivated to work on them. Because so far I go, "Hmmm.... Well, y'know, I'd much rather play this game demo right now... >_>" instead. And while I should have some time to finish artwork between when I arrive in Australia and when we set up the table, I'd rather not spend all my downtime furiously scribbling. :B

Here I go. First one.

I'll be inking Hsien-Ko tonight first off. I've already corrected some spots in the pencils and hopefully will at least ink and scan her before I sleep.

You're welcome to cheer me on, ask questions, offer comments/critique - whatever you like. :3

The con's theme is "Retro". So if you have any retro anime or video game favorites, you could suggest them. If I don't get to them before I head off, maybe I'll get to them while we're furiously drawing to add to our stock. :3
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

You draw soooooooo good Neko T^T I wants your art~

Hmm, video game retro, eh? Just how retro? Because I'm going to suggest... Guybrush Threepwood. XDD
    But but, I'm sure you can do it in time for the con. I'll cheer you from here~ *\0/*

(ooc)

xD Thank you. <3

Here is the inked version. :B Would have posted it earlier, but I was printing up artist trading card sized versions. >:B

Guybrush Threepwood. Hmmm! I've never played the games and while I know who you mean, I don't have much familiarity with him. I wonder if Aussies do. :? I do need some guy stuff... >___> ::adds to mental list::

Thank you for the cheering. <3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

How could you not have played the gamessssss. Guybrush Threepwood is my childhood hero. I want to be a pirate because of him! XDD

And the inked piece is love <3

(ooc)

:c I may have played a demo or something, if that makes you feel better? xD I know it is a series I've always been interested in, just never seemed to have the opportunity to play. xD

Thank you. :3

Tomorrow tonight I'll be working on this one:

I've made so many edits to it it's almost not going to look like the same picture when I'm done. >___>;
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Monkey Island is the best T^T You haaaave to play it. The first two are the best ones. <3 Rest are nice, but not as good.

Lots of work to be done I see. :3 I'm sure you can do it! *\0/*

(ooc)

You may or may not have ever heard of this (the response is fifty fifty, half the people remember it fondly and half are all like "Wha?!") But my favorite 'old school' anime is totally Galaxy Express 999. There was other Galaxy Express stuff, but that one was by far my favorite, and in fact my introduction into anime. (It was in with the 'not for the kids' movies which I was totally snooping in, and I did not understand how a cartoon could be not for kids lol. Honestly it is fairly tame, the worst scene is similar to one in Bambi only insert a humanoid woman >.>).

As for old school video games, how old? Vivi is my favorite finale fantasy character. He's just soo adorable and dark.

Btw, I loove what you've done so far, looks awesome!

Ohh, Galaxy Express! What was it with that time and the 9's? I used to watch Master Mosquiton 99 (loved it) lol

(ooc)

I kept thinking about Galaxy Express 999. xD I've only seen bits of it (it was probably too mature for my tastes the first time I tried watching, so I really didn't understand it and lost interest), but I wondered if anyone would recognize it. :' The character designs appeal to me a lot and they're totally 'retro' but I'm told that the Aussie anime convention community skews young. (My friend was telling me that she was one of the oldest people there last year - and she's four years younger than I am. :x )

I think they mean "retro" by "anything before 2000". xD Vivi is really cute. xD I know I'm going to do some Final Fantasy stuff so Vivi may make it. xD

Tahiel - that gif made me laugh for a solid minute until my dad came to check on me. xD I love it.

I wonder if I can find Monkey Island online. >_>

For study purposes.

Not procrastination.

At all. >_>
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

*cracks the whip* bad shark kitty, draw pretty pictures, lol.
    I always loved the art style in Galaxy express, the women's faces are just stunning and although the proportions of the legs are way out there, they are awesome.
    And before 2k is retro? Lmao that IS young!

Haha, it's the cutest, isn't it?
    Let me know if you like it if and when you find it.

(ooc)

But I'm eating! And waiting for the storm to pass! The power's already gone out once. >_> Imagine if I were inking at the time! I can procrastinate research because of that, right? :>
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Remember how I said I'd be working on this sketch and it wouldn't look much like the sketch?

Tol'ja. :B

Don't know if I'll have time to update with any others before I leave on the trip. D: I have sleeping and packing to do. I don't know if I'll be updating the thread while on the trip either, though I will scan what I do and share when I return. xD

EDIT: Actually, I'll go ahead and share the other sketches I've already done, so you'll know what I will eventually return with inks and/or colors for. :3

Left-to-right:
    Felicia (Darkstalkers), Lilith (Darkstalkers), Q-Bee (Darkstalkers), Lum (Urusei Yatsura), and Morrigan again (still from Darkstalkers).

That reminds me to save the redlines for Morrigan to take with me since I may not fix the sketch before boarding the plane. >o<
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Soooo many stuff. So many pretty stuff. But you definitely need guys there. XDD

(ooc)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiel View Post
    Soooo many stuff. So many pretty stuff. But you definitely need guys there. XDD
    I was about to say that too! You need more guys. But maybe you don't have the time?
    Those are very good! I wish I could draw that good too!

I did do a sketch of Sesshomaru from InuYasha, but I didn't like how it turned out. >_> So I didn't bother to scan. Absolutely doing Link from Legend of Zelda. Less certain of whichever other guys I'll be drawing. xD;

It's not really that I didn't have the time... <_<; I just let myself get distracted instead of sketching like I was supposed to. 8D Thankfully I have until the 22nd or so to add more art to my queue, so hopefully will use my time wisely! I need perhaps a Goku from Dragonball Z (a muscle-y type) and a Naruto perhaps (atheletic kid type), and a Sesshomaru ("bishie" type) at least. :B Just to round out my collection...

And thank you both. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Just updating this thread to note that during my trip, I've been bullied into getting a Tumblr account so that a group sketchblog could be restarted on Tumblr instead of LiveJournal (seeing as none of us really use LiveJournal as much as we used to).

ANYWAY. I have two sketches there at the moment that I've done while on the trip. Most of the artwork I showed you guys the sketches for earlier in this thread are being posted to Tumblr starting Friday, midnight Central US time (so I think in a few hours?). They'll be posted once a day at the same time since I've put them all in that handy-dandy queue feature. xD

I may make a new art thread for myself here when I return home. :B

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'll from time to time post non-graphic (artistic) nudity and most of my artwork could be considered "cheesecake" or "beefcake" pin-up artwork, sooooo you may prefer to be cautious if seeing people who are naked except for carefully placed objects/cloth or lots of cleavage bothers you. >_>;
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Such amazing artwork!! <3 It saddens me that I didn't notice this thread before D; I love how clean your style is. -jealous- ;x;
    “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”
    — Søren Kierkegaard

Aw - thank you. xD

Actually, before I finish replying to your post, I'd better add a warning to my post above, since the most recent picture in it is of a guy who is pretty much naked, even though you don't see dangly bits.... ...There we go. >_> <_<;

Annyywaaay - no worries. xD I've been a slacker and not been updating it, even though I could have borrowed my friend's scanner at any time and used it to update things. I just don't have access to the things I usually have when editing my artwork so I've been very MEHHHH about it. xD

And, yes, thank you again. xD I'm still working on improving the style, but I think I've got to the point where it's "my" style more than my sources of inspiration for it. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Now that is a slick pic, i am very jealous of your skill! Envious.
    Updates Mondays

Thank you. xD Any particular picture you're referring to? (Jus' 'cause I'm curious. xD )
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

mmm sorry lol, your newest one is the one i am talking about.
    Updates Mondays

xD I guess that'd be the naked Teo if you mean my Tumblr account. xD Thank you!
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

lol yes naked male. ^^ it looks wonderful great perspective, no just great over all!
    Updates Mondays

Thanks. xD I was pretty stoked with the foreshortening bit.

Noting that Tumblr spat out my post with three versions of hand-colored Felicia from Darkstalkers. Woot!
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

with the way he is position i am very enthralled with how clean the foreshortening and the perspective is on the picture. getting the right slide of a crouching is always difficult. I am earnest in my words saying this is very impressive.

ive never used tumblr but ill woot for Darkstalkers! WOOt
    Updates Mondays

I was really happy that it turned out so well, since I have trouble sometimes with true action poses like that. :3 (I mean, it's still something of a less-than-awesomely-dynamic 'action' pose, but... baby steps, yeah?) So I'm kinda stoked that someone other than the person it was drawn for likes it so much. :3

Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    I was really happy that it turned out so well, since I have trouble sometimes with true action poses like that. :3 (I mean, it's still something of a less-than-awesomely-dynamic 'action' pose, but... baby steps, yeah?) So I'm kinda stoked that someone other than the person it was drawn for likes it so much. :3

lol you dont always need the dynamic superhero fighting poses, to convey what you need. And i certainly did enjoy you art. Which only stirs the question, do you have a DA account, cause i would to watch you.

You are so very deeply welcome ^.^
    Updates Mondays

I dooooo... but there's nothing at it at the moment. xD; Well, one old picture. I'll be returning starting September, though, so you could always pre-emptive follow?

klawzie.deviantart.com
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin