Login to your account

Thread: Psychics in a post-apocalyptic world~?

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar

Psychics in a post-apocalyptic world~?

I KNOW. I have too many ideas. Though I don't know if there's such a thing as too many!

So, I love the movie Push. I love the story and the characters, but here I'd just want to use their names for the psychics. If you don't know what they are, here are all of them )please dont be scared of the techno-babble. It's mostly just flavour text, and not something you'd have to memorize. Also, it's copy+pasted from wikipedia):

Watchers: Watchers have the ability to foresee the future to varying degrees. As knowledge of the future invariably causes that future to change, Watchers' visions of the future in their direct sphere of influence are subject to frequent shifting.

Movers: Movers are powerful telekinetics who are trained to identify the specific atomic frequency of a given material and alter the gravitational field around it, usually causing the nearby air to appear warped. This allows them to move both animate and inanimate objects. Advanced Movers can work at the molecular level, creating protective force fields in the air around them or to reinforce punches and other strikes to make them stronger.

Pushers: Pushers have the ability to implant memories, thoughts and emotions into the minds of other people in order to manipulate them. The skill level of the Pusher determines how many people the Pusher is able to control at one time, and how vivid the implanted memories are. A powerful Pusher can push a large group of people at the same time, basically creating a personal army. A Pusher is able to make a person do anything the Pusher desires, even commit suicide. A Pusher's eyes indicate how powerful they are: their pupils will dilate to certain degrees depending on how powerful the push is (for example, if the person's eyes are rendered completely black, it signifies that they are an extremely able and effective Pusher).

Bleeders: Bleeders have the ability to emit high-pitched sonic vibrations that cause ruptures in a target's blood vessels. While using this ability, their pupils turn into vertical slits, like a snake's, because of synthetic materials implanted in them to protect the blood vessels from the effects of their own ability. They are also sometimes known as Screechers or Screamers.

Sniffs: Sniffs are highly developed psychometrics who can track the location of people or objects over varying distances. Like bloodhounds, their ability is increased if they have tactile access to an object that has been in direct contact with the subject. Sniffs receive information in the form of images, which is why identifiable landmarks help increase their effectiveness.

Shifters: Shifters can temporarily alter the appearance of an object by manipulating the patterns of light interacting with it. Once the illusion is established, it remains with the object for a short period of time. For example, a Shifter could touch a one dollar bill and alter it to appear as a one hundred dollar bill until the effect expires. The object shifted must have roughly the same dimensions as the object it is shifted into. The length of time that the effect will last is based on the Shifter's experience and ability.

Wipers: Wipers are skilled at either temporarily or permanently erasing memory, an invaluable asset in espionage. Experience will dictate the accuracy of their wipes, though there is always the danger that they will eliminate a desired memory.

Shadows: Shadows are trained to block the vision of other clairvoyants such as Sniffs, making any subject within their target radius appear "dark". Experience will enhance the size of the area they can shadow and the intensity of their shielding effect. Shadows need to be awake to manifest their ability, so it is common for a detail of two Shadows to operate in shifts while protecting a person or object for extended periods. Most Shadows are effective only against Sniffs, but some extremely powerful Shadows are able to block even Watchers.

Stitches: Stitches are psychic surgeons trained to quickly reconstruct cells to their previous or healthy state. Using only their hands, they can heal and even "unheal" whatever they have done. For more detailed work, Stitches use a silver based cream on their hands which acts as a conductor for their ability.

These all appeared in the movie, with the comics adding these three

Phasers: can pass through solid objects

Porters: can teleport

Changer: the ability to shapeshift (to appear as other people)

Lots of information, I know.
    I'd be open to accepting ideas for other types of psychics too~

The only question is what sort of place do these people exist?

As you may have guessed from the title, I mostly am thinking along the lines of post-apocalyptic. Maybe these psychics actually caused the end of the world. (Totally not stealing from the webcomic Freak Angels xDDD) I don't know much else. Maybe some of the types of psychics have different factions and want to take over each other's territories or protect their own. In that case, I'd imagine the leading psychics would be Pushers, Watchers, and Bleeders, with the others being employed by these factions or being in smaller gangs, maybe ones that are trying to band together to overcome one of these factions.

In this case, I'd imagine the Watchers would live in a big tower, and maybe are considered the safe-haven, or the good guys. They would take lots of people under their wing and devote energies to looking to the future to keep them safe, and would probably have lots of other types of psychics under them.

The Mover faction would probably be rather neutral and focused on making things better for the people they have, and be less focused on accepting new people to their little city-thing.

The Pushers, on the other hand, would be interested in expanding. They might not mean bad by it, and maybe are just trying to bring everyone together in a utopia, but think the only way is to manipulate people, and perhaps kill those who they have trouble controlling. So they'd be the bad guys.

Think of Fallout 3 for the setting.

So... anyone interested? 8D

Hmm oddly reminds me of "Book of Eli" is that weird? Once again, I looove your concepts. The problem I see with 'society groups' is getting the backing in numbers. Instead, at least early on, you might have most of the characters with little to no knowledge of what happened or how things ended up as they did. Perhaps some people think they were the cause of things, maybe others are lost in the desolation trying to figure out what happened when and were, that sort of thing.

You could even include a few npc characters such as a small group of seekers and sniffers who are gathering survivors together. If you want an 'enemy' group (of pushers for example) I would suggest you get some game mods (forgot the technical term on this site >.<) early on to help play baddies and agree to keep plot secrets. Just my thoughts so far xp.

At first I thought that connection was weird, but I see it when I think about it.

Yeah, numbers is always the issue, isn't it? In the interest of keeping plot secrets, it would probably be best to start off with the Mover faction, since they would have little clue as to what would be going on, whereas the Pusher would be making big plans and the Watchers would be counter-planning.

NPC sniffs sounds like a good idea, actually. That way the characters of others would have an excuse as to how they found the settlement, should their character not be a usual residence.

Perhaps the other factions wouldn't even be playable, and would be restricted to the host, co-host, or whoever else has been allowed into the secrets of the plot. So the focus would entirely be on the Movers faction, with the locations of the Pusher and watcher factions opening up only when characters are finally brought there on missions or whatnot. That would certainly make Porters handy.

Perhaps the route to the Watchers would open up in an alliance with the Movers faction, with characters from that area finally being allowed then, but no powerful Watchers, since those would be reserved for the people who know the secrets of the plot. (I feel like that should be capitalized, like Secrets of The Plot)

You are so awesome for bouncing ideas back and forth~ <3

lol I love ideas, it is just time that kills me. I so claim the spot of some one to know the Secrets of the Plot if this goes any where ;p. I never read the comics but I am familiar with the movie and the game you referenced as well xp. So the only real playable faction would be the movers? You might allow weaker 'stray' characters with other abilities to wander in or be brought in by sniffers so we can get a variety of character types *says we as though having any real part in things >.>* lol

Ah, time. You treacherous thing, you~
    Haha~ You can have that spot~! I myself haven't read the comics either, but I'm aware of them. I adore the movie, however <3 Watched it probably ten times. I just love the music and the filming and the cast and nyan~!

Well, the movers basically just run things for the most part. They'd still employ others among their ranks, and maybe even train any new mover with potential who comes in. Those that work closely with them might do the same for any like-powered potential who comes along. Like, they'd definitely have at least on stitch up in their ranks to mend those who go on secret missions, who might take on an apprentice with the proper permission from those higher.

I mean, there'd be lots of jobs within the giant workings of the Mover faction. There'd also be the townies who really don't know anything at all about what goes on, but I don't think the focus of the roleplay would linger there.

And now I can't get terrorist bleeders out of my head. xD like, just running it, screaming to their full power to kill or wound as many as possible. Certainly would give the characters work to do~

I should probably dedicate my brainpower to figuring out all the roles and angles that can be played besides the mentor-apprentice angle and roles. Maybe have some sweeper units made up of trained movers who search for things to salvage and maybe teach the riffraff to keep away. x33 Maybe even set up some missions~