Login to your account

Thread: What should I start with?

Reoccurring NPC

What should I start with?

So here I am, joined the site and all excited to get started. I have to work tonight, but after that i will have a whole week to build and start running a new RP, but what would you all like me to run?

There are a few that I have run quite a few times in other forums over the years. One that I named Cityscape (Not to be confused with the D&D game of the same name) and another named Magic School. (which will probably get a new name if I start it here.)

Cityscape is run in a post-apocalyptic setting specifically set around one of the last remaining cities in the world. The city is run by the vestiges of the Mob family that use to command a large station in the underworld before everything went to hell, and most of the conflict in the game will come between the family and those who wish to take it down.

Magic school is less about the setting however and more about the situation. In fact, other than the actual school, the setting was mostly just modern to current day, and I frequently encouraged players to play themselves... abate with powers that no person in are world knows.

Other than that, I could always make something entirely new from the number of concepts that i have had over the years.

My ultimate goal however is to create a larger Roleplay that is designed in such a way that many genres that normally do not mix can be placed in the same world. I have a basic framework of rules designed to make that one work already, however I am not sure how well they would work. So I am hesitant to make that my first game here, as I would like to start with something that is more natural to me and less busy work.

Well, let me know what you all think. What would you be interested in playing to start off with? Give me ideas and hopefully by the end of next week we will be well into it.

Let me begin by saying both ideas are good and would draw a crowd in their own unique ways. But in my opinion the Magic School would draw in a wider crowd. Mainly because it is a general and easy concept to grasp for new players who aren't sure about how to introduce themselves in the world of role playing and a fun and relaxing environment for everyone else. I do like how you mentioned you encouraged others to play as themselves and that it's also in a modern day setting. In my mind that is going to be very appealing, who wouldn't want to give themselves some type of fantastical power?

But I also have to say that I for one would never turn down the idea of a post apocalyptic game, for they are one of my favorites. This game would most likely take the most work putting together for there is more information that goes along with it and there are going to be many background questions that will need to be answered.

This leads me to ask, how much time are you willing to put into the game? If it is true you would dedicate a whole week to setting it up, managing the beginning kinks out (If there are any) and open up things in detail I'd say taking on either project would be doable. But also, you didn't really specify which one of the games flows naturally for you? Which obviously is a big deal since you don't want to be caught up in the responsibility of running something without being fully committed to the subject.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Agree with Schiz on the post apocalyptic game idea of yours.

Surely you cannot make me stop playing Fallout. Especially if i'm blowing shit up.

Reoccurring NPC
    Both of those games flow naturally for me. Though I have never had enough dedicated players to get past the first 100 pages before, so it's hard to be sure how well they would go in the long run. It is true however that the magic school one is the easier one to just start playing, that one does require a bit more work in the beginning due to the fact that I like to run an in game character creation system. A series of test that the character must solve, which will help them realise their powers and limits.

On the other hand Cityscape is more in depth, but will allow for less micro-managing in the beginning. Not to mention I have figured out a lot of answered to those questions people might ask already, seeing as I have run the game quite a number of times as it is. Of course, if there is enough interest in both then I will most likely start both of them eventually anyway.

Stop right there. An in game character creation system?! Involving a series of questions?! You must do this. I want to be involved. This sounds... awesome.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar
    FFF- the character creation system sounds sweet.

Do this.

I will love you.

I will love you with all the nyan in the world!

Ha Ha in game tests reminds me of fall out three where you had to pass your school test and it defined your skills. Both sound interesting though.

Reoccurring NPC
    Better than just a quiz. We are talking a practical test of skill for your character that helps to define the types of powers and weaknesses you will have.

Seems like i will be staring with magic school then.

Reoccurring NPC
    So, now that I have gotten a little ways into my first RP, I am looking to start working on the details for my second one. I wonder which one I should do though. The post apocalyptic one will be a little easier to do since I have run the game before, however now that i have had a chance to play around with the system that we have available here I am confident that I will be able to start building the multiverse that i was looking to work on.

The Mulitverse that I am looking at making is actually a collection of connected worlds. Each with a different set of rules, cultures, and Mythos. It is mostly meant to be a cross genera game where people from totally different worlds can meet and adventure, however unlike WTF Multiverse there will be more rigid rules for each genera and how they interact. I don't really have any details on any of the worlds as of yet, but I will work on them slowly and expand the world further as I come up with new ideas.

I think it sounds interesting.

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

I'm myself contemplating if I should start a modern type of RPG. I have taken lots of pictures I can use... hopefully.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"