THE DOUBLING DOUBLE STANDARD
doubling debunked and other roleplaying trends

I've been roleplaying for years. At first, I naturally adopted female roles, but as I began to develop as a roleplayer (via reading, mostly), male roles became equally as appealing. Before I knew it, I found myself facing a choice before beginning a roleplay: should I play a male lead or female lead? This decision was virtually impossible to make, but after careful deliberation, a gender would emerge victorious and be rewarded with the title of lead.

This, however, is me speaking from personal experience. As I've grown older, so has Gaia and it's roleplaying trends. From the unusual obsessions with mafia princesses to players coining their characters "dominant" and "submissive", I can honestly say that I've seen it all. One of the most unusual trends I've happened across is one called "doubling". Now, I'm sure most of you have heard of this term during your roleplaying exploits. For those who are unfamiliar with it, I believe I have it down to a viable definition.

DOUBLING Playing character(s) desired by your roleplaying partner so that they may reciprocate, thus appeasing both parties

This is more or less how I perceive "doubling". To further elaborate, I find that doubling is only suggested when a roleplayer is looking for a certain character to be played versus their own. Doubling is used as a means to entreat their partner to do so - by playing the character their partner wants, they are likely to reciprocate. While this appears to be a practical idea, I've noticed some huge flaws in this trend.

Firstly, doubling is mostly suggested by female roleplayers who generally want prince charming played against their female character (or in some cases, their male character). Usually their partners seek similar treatment. What I've found is that when doubling is agreed upon by both parties, the two secretly dread playing the male role for their partner. Usually (or at least from what I've seen) the female role ends up getting more attention; the males are drab, uninteresting and poorly played leaving both parties unhappy.

In my opinion, this is one of the stupidest trends to ever make its way to Gaia.

In retrospect, the idea could be useful, but it's abused by haughty girls (and sometimes, although rarely boys) who seek a stereotypical happily-ever-after for their tragically mary-sue lead. Why is this so accepted among female roleplayers but rejected among the males? While I'm exploring the forums, male roleplayers who suggest doubling get shit on time and time again. Why? Why is doubling such a huge double standard? I'm sick and tired of seeing females post in their threads "I want to play a female role because I've been playing the male role a lot lately." No you haven't. That method of psychological importunity leaves much to be desired [/endrant]

So, my friends, I leave you with a few questions. Please remember that this is my opinion and it is by no means right or wrong. I'm super curious to hear your comments, so here's some topics/questions that can be discussed:

1. What's your personal outlook on doubling? Yay or nay? Why?
2. Do you believe that a doubling double standard exists between male and female roleplayers?
3. Do you "double" differently? (ie, just play multiple side characters)
4. What other roleplaying trends do you abhor? Discuss them!