Login to your account

Thread: Aliens, Androids and Deserts

Aliens, Androids and Deserts

I'm not sure what to title this as, but anyhow I just had an idea and I decided to write up a few ideas about. As far as fleshing it out goes and making it a fun game I don't think I have enough input yet so I thought I would just share and see if anyone likes the idea.

And I wrote this in the wee hours of the morning on lack of sleep, so excuse it if it's a little confuddled, I'll try to fix it later.

The Olimpia-3 space station orbits the planet Vastitus, a nearly uninhabitable desert planet. Vastitus has two suns, and as one sets the other rises. This results in a nearly forty-hour day, as the larger sun (reminiscent of the Sun Earth survivors remember) sets at the 26th hour, the smaller sun rises for a few hours and sets again.This results in an eerie four hour sunset. The process repeats at dawn, with the smaller sun rising and setting just as the larger sun rises. It had been decided that the day would begin and end with the larger star to avoid confusion. Vastitus also has seven moons, and five of them are visible in the daytime hours.

It has been 23 years since planet Earth was destroyed, and Vastitus is one of five planets humans have settled on. At current there are three human colonies living on Vastitus, and the biggest is a "city" referred to as Twofold. Though it started as strictly human, over the years it has attracted many other lifeforms. Before humans had ever arrived, Vastitus was a planet for the unwanted, the runaways and the crooks.

Many good people who live here, human or not, do not have a choice in the matter, and are trying desperately to find a way to get to another planet. The reason many dislike the planet, besides the fact that it is a desert wasteland, is because of The Swell, a once human colony that is now run by criminals and other ne'er do wells. They are a cruel group of people, raiding and murdering their neighbors simply because they can. Without a consistent policing system, The Swell have quickly gotten out of hand and it seems almost impossible to ever stop them.

The last colony is made up of mostly researchers and scientists, called Coppelius. It is also the only colony with a space station and sufficient defense against The Swell. Coppelius is a place reserved for the rich and the lucky, and getting in from one of the other colonies is very, very hard. Though all of the colonies started out together, Coppelius is the most detached from its fellow human cities, and the people living there usually have no idea what is going on outside their perfect little dome.

Olimpia-3 monitors transportation coming and going from Vastitus and handles main communications with other stations and colonies on other planets. Quite a few people live on Olimpia-3 as well, but it is usually reserved for those that work there. The families of Olimpia-3 workers live in Coppelius, and that is one of the reasons why the city is closed off to others.

Mostly all I've got are short descriptions of stuff. But yeah, I figured it would be neat to have these three different factions people could choose from, and being in space makes everything more awesome, but I feel that it might be too much just to start out, y'know?

Any feedback or other ideas are very much appreciated. The best part about a roleplay is that we build the world together.
    "The bittersweet tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
    Harriet Beecher Stowe

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar
    While there aren't that many science-fiction oriented roleplayers here on WTF, I certainly am~ I actually addressed that issue in the Roleplay Skull Session portion of the forums.

But anyways, I think this sounds epic, and I would join it in a heartbeat~ <3 The very fact that aliens can be included has be sitting with glee, let alone the other details you went over.

I certainly like the options for the three factions, though perhaps because those who roleplay science-fiction are a little more scarce, it might be a good idea to narrow the focus a bit, if only so that there wouldn't be too few characters in each. Only in the beginning, of course.

Got a few questions, of course~

How far advanced do you imagine the humans or aliens to be? Is everyone on the same par? Have humans only just recently come into the colonizing scene, or have they been doing it a while and even have a universal cure for all diseases, being as advanced as they are?

How did you settle on the name Vastitus? Does it have a meaning? Do the moons and sun have their own names (yet)?

And would mechanically-based or techno-organic-based aliens be permitted? Or perhaps you have specific alien races in mind that players would simply choose from? If so, are any of them techno-organic or cybernetic? If you can't tell, I'm a fan. xD Are all the alien races composed of the same amino-acids? Or are some different, like the dextro-amino acids, as seen with Mass Effect's quarians and turians? Are the aliens cosmetically rather similar to humans, like the Twi'leks of Star Wars, or are they more varied, like between the various Star Wars races?

Also, for fun, what's your favourite science-fiction film? :3

Yeah, I was thinking maybe starting in either Twofold would be a good idea, since it's kind of the middle-ground. Also late reply. D:

How far advanced do you imagine the humans or aliens to be? Is everyone on the same par? Have humans only just recently come into the colonizing scene, or have they been doing it a while and even have a universal cure for all diseases, being as advanced as they are?

I expect they're pretty advanced, but in a dystopian post apocalypse kind of way, where everyone might have advanced weaponry and a hover-bike but more leisurely things like food and medical supplies are hard to come by. Everyone on Vastitus is pretty much on the same par, but I'd say the aliens are actually more advanced. And it has been a few years since humans have been colonizing, but they still have a ways to go.

How did you settle on the name Vastitus? Does it have a meaning? Do the moons and sun have their own names (yet)?
    Vastitus is Latin for devestation. I'm not very original. xD Though I did think on it for quite awhile. I wanted something that sounded like it would be the name of a planet and referenced the fact it was a deserted wasteland. And the moons and suns don't have names yet. They'd probably follow the same process, though, (googling and headscratching) so if you have any neat ideas for names that'd be cool.

And would mechanically-based or techno-organic-based aliens be permitted? Or perhaps you have specific alien races in mind that players would simply choose from? If so, are any of them techno-organic or cybernetic? If you can't tell, I'm a fan. xD Are all the alien races composed of the same amino-acids? Or are some different, like the dextro-amino acids, as seen with Mass Effect's quarians and turians? Are the aliens cosmetically rather similar to humans, like the Twi'leks of Star Wars, or are they more varied, like between the various Star Wars races?

As far as aliens go, I'm okay with letting people do whatever they want. I want Vastitus to be a great big cooking pot. That way nobody get's turned away, and I don't have to micromanage what's okay or not. If you wanted, you could be a xenomorph from Alien without making me bat an eye. (But then I am pretty lenient I guess).

Also, for fun, what's your favourite science-fiction film? :3
    I'm really no good at picking favorites. xD So I'll go by my most recently watched which was Titan A.E. I'm also a sucker for 2d animation.

And really, I dunno if I would be fit to run this thing. I'm more of a builder than a leader. =P
    "The bittersweet tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
    Harriet Beecher Stowe

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar
    Late reply is better than no reply~! :3

I expect they're pretty advanced... ... ...but they still have a ways to go.

Ooo, sound like fun~! I can actually imagine this as a webcomic series. I'd certainly read something like that~

Vastitus is Latin for devestation. I'm not very original. xD... ... ...And the moons and suns don't have names yet. They'd probably follow the same process, though, (googling and headscratching) so if you have any neat ideas for names that'd be cool.

I love translation-names~ I'd only think it was unoriginal if it was an over-used bible name, like Babel or Zion or something.
    Well, if you give me some base characteristics of the moons, such as relative size and colour, I would be eager to go and do the googling and headscratching for you~! It's honestly one of my favourite things to do~ Though for the suns may I suggest parum presul and magnus presul (little dancer and big dancer)? Or parens and parvulus (parent and child)? Or rector and secuutus (leader and follower)? I could go on for ages. xD

As far as aliens go, I'm okay with letting people do whatever they want. I want Vastitus to be a great big cooking pot. That way nobody get's turned away, and I don't have to micromanage what's okay or not. If you wanted, you could be a xenomorph from Alien without making me bat an eye. (But then I am pretty lenient I guess).

Micromanaging is what I do best. <3 It also tends to drive people away from roleplays. /nyron
    I don't think I'd go as far as to play a xenomorph, though the fact that you even know what they're called makes me happay~ I'd probably go for something big and insect-like. Basically borrow heavy inspiration from the prawns of District 9~

I'm really no good at picking favorites. xD So I'll go by my most recently watched which was Titan A.E. I'm also a sucker for 2d animation.
    Ah, Titan A.E.~ How I hardly remember you. Gah. I'll need to watch it again soon. ...Riiiight after rewatching the Alien series again <3

And really, I dunno if I would be fit to run this thing. I'm more of a builder than a leader. =P
    Haha, I know how you feel~ Maybe if you just got someone who could lead and be the co-host or something? I love both leading and building, but planning takes me a while. I have, like, three different ideas for roleplays here, and I won't post none of them up until I figure out some plot points to strive for. Except one of them isn't meant to have those points, so I'd just spend forever working out the guidelines. So maybe I'll have a roleplay up in a month or two or three or ten. xD

But no, this is something I'd love to see on this site, even if it ended up not doing that well. 'cause you gotta try, y'know? Some of my best roleplay memories have been with roleplays that hardly made it out the front gate. :3

If only I had the art skills to webcomic it. xDD Actually it probably exists out there somewhere. 0-0

Well, if you give me some base characteristics of the moons, such as relative size and colour, I would be eager to go and do the googling and headscratching for you~! It's honestly one of my favourite things to do~ Though for the suns may I suggest parum presul and magnus presul (little dancer and big dancer)? Or parens and parvulus (parent and child)? Or rector and secuutus (leader and follower)? I could go on for ages. xD
    Really I was going to refer to moons with nicknames and stuff so really you could come up with anything you want. But here are some general ideas anyhow.

Visible during day hours:
    1: The biggest moon. Blue. Probably four times as large as Earths moon. Covered in really large craters.
    2. Small moon, usually in front of Biggest Moon. Orange.
    3. Smaller moon. Irregularly shaped due to impacts.
    4. Yellow moon. Rises and sets before all of the others.
    5. Average moon. Has an odd canyon like streak.
    Visible only at night:
    1: The red moon, average sized. Probably the moon farthest away from Vastitus.
    2. Last moon. Aysemetric in appearence.

I like Parum and Magnus Presul for the suns though!

Micromanaging is what I do best. <3 It also tends to drive people away from roleplays. /nyron
    I don't think I'd go as far as to play a xenomorph, though the fact that you even know what they're called makes me happay~ I'd probably go for something big and insect-like. Basically borrow heavy inspiration from the prawns of District 9~

Xenomorphs are probably my favorite alien, hehe. I used to micromanage a lot but nobody would listen to my managing anyway so I kinda stopped. o-o
    I love the District 9 guys too. Alien cruelty in that movie made me sad. D;
    This reminds me though I should really think about what I am going to be in this roleplay. So much planning but so litle thought on my part.

Haha, I know how you feel~ Maybe if you just got someone who could lead and be the co-host or something? I love both leading and building, but planning takes me a while. I have, like, three different ideas for roleplays here, and I won't post none of them up until I figure out some plot points to strive for. Except one of them isn't meant to have those points, so I'd just spend forever working out the guidelines. So maybe I'll have a roleplay up in a month or two or three or ten. xD
    If I have my way I plan forever. Strive too much for perfection I think. Probably why I don't make roleplays very often.

But no, this is something I'd love to see on this site, even if it ended up not doing that well. 'cause you gotta try, y'know? Some of my best roleplay memories have been with roleplays that hardly made it out the front gate. :3
    True. xD Hopefully the fact that it takes me so long to bang it into shape is worth it.
    Last edited by Zomby; 07-03-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Harriet Beecher Stowe

I think this sounds very interesting (and I also think Xenomorphs are awesome and my favorite aliens ever <3 haha <.<;; I used to freak out my ex because I had a joke signature going "Xenomorphs are sexy" XDD /end random tidbit no one cared about)... I would love to join this RP if I find I have the time by when it's up. I don't want to overdo it with the RPs I join and end up not replying to any, you know how it is. Buut yes, I think this idea rocks, and the fact the world is so developed rocks even more.
    And I like that we'd be able to make our own aliens, I love making new species and stuff, even if half the time they all end up rather very humanoid. :P

(ooc)

Thank you! I like it when people like my ideas. <3 And seriously Xenomorphs really are the best. o-o

I'll try to get this up, I really like the idea myself and the fact that even a few people might be interested means I need to do it. Just need to adjust my schedule and make time for it! I think I'm just gonna try to nitpick less and simplify it a bit. I get all perfectionist about things and then I never do anything with it. Not this time! This time I will not falter!
    Harriet Beecher Stowe