Login to your account

Thread: Any Science Fiction roleplayers out there?

Humble Farmer With a Sword Nyan Cat's Avatar

Any Science Fiction roleplayers out there?

Surely they must exist somewhere. I'm not quite sure why, but it seems to be the genre I have the most difficulty finding around roleplaying sites, and it's my greatest love. All of the roleplays I'm currently in (minus one) throughout the internets are science fiction, but are only one-on-ones. The other one is dark fantasy.

If you're here because you're a science-fiction roleplayer, what kind of science-fiction roleplays do you like to do? I myself am a fan of roleplays focused on alien worlds and cultures (which makes Mass Effect a heaven-send for me).

If you're here not for this reason, do you have speculation as to why science-fiction seems to be more unpopular with roleplayers? I have a few ideas myself, but they strike unkindly against the roleplaying community, and I'd like to see if there might be some better guesses. :3
    Last edited by Nyan Cat; 06-23-2011 at 03:03 AM.

My best guess is a combination of:

- The email went out on the 15th to people who signed up for Menewsha, which has sort of an anime look/feel to it. Our most popular items are always fantasy-based. Anyone likely to sign up there would be more likely interested in fantasy than sci-fi.
    If people advertised in areas that had more sci-fi oriented people, we'd get more sci-fi oriented people. xD (I wonder if there are any Star Trek D20 or even Star Wars or Blue Planet (earth? oceans? I forget the name of that sci-fi tabletop game) forums out there that might be interested in using our forums for gaming.)

- Popular media paints sci-fi as much more nerdy/dorky than fantasy. I've rarely seen a character meant to be "cool" having a "dorky" sci-fi interest but a little more commonly seen them have a "dorky" fantasy interest.
    I put that down to mainly the idea that the people who write for popular media were geeks and dorks and felt persecuted by the "cool" people, so they may not have actually hung out with many people they thought were "cool" or understand what they think is "cool" until they start meeting actors. And actors routinely admit to being a "big fan" of fantasy stuff but less so in sci-fi stuff. Unless they're sci-fi actors, of course, in which case they would drop dead before admitting they think sci-fi is "dorky". xD

- A lot of roleplayers feel intimidated if they feel like they have to research something in order to play it. "Hard" science fiction often involves thinking a lot about whether something could make sense mechanically or scientifically or with coding - even inserting a caveat of "if we accept that THIS works even though we don't understand HOW, then what follows naturally after that?" You'd probably get more nibbles on a sci-fi game if it were liberally coated in fantasy dressed up to look like sci-fi (like Star Wars or the old space opera stuff from the 50s and 60s).

I'm actually, at this moment, playing something of a semi-modern sci-fi romance game with my best friend.

The game is set under the premise that it's however-many years in the future where humans have spread throughout space in space stations. One, named The Hive, is set somewhere out in nowhere and has bee or wasp themed things like Drones (the military/police force) and other such things. People are born on a level and work their way up to a higher security clearance where they can have better lives. Genetics and genetic superiority play into it heavily where beautiful people with high intelligence, skills, and extremely good health and fitness would ideally make their way up the top levels and people with poor genetics would find themselves sinking to the bottom. It takes permission to have children with someone else, with some people forbidden to do so because of genetic "incompatibility". There was also a take-over by the females at some stage to instate a sort of matriarchy and they apparently felt it beneath them to carry children, so they programmed that into the males (who would presumably deliver by C-section).

That plot could be taken somewhere very hard-line or it can be played "soft" for casual use. Dark for maximum grittiness or grey for leaving loopholes open for whatever we wanted to happen. We're playing it pretty casual ourselves because what we're looking for right now is a game we can play casually without having to think too hard about it. (My friend is studying for her nursing finals for the semester and I'm busy with WTF and other duties.)

The ramble above being perhaps a nicer way of saying, "If people have to think too hard about it, it'll only be those who already have an interest in that sort of game and also have the time to play it properly who will play it."
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
    - A lot of roleplayers feel intimidated if they feel like they have to research something in order to play it. "Hard" science fiction often involves thinking a lot about whether something could make sense mechanically or scientifically or with coding - even inserting a caveat of "if we accept that THIS works even though we don't understand HOW, then what follows naturally after that?" You'd probably get more nibbles on a sci-fi game if it were liberally coated in fantasy dressed up to look like sci-fi (like Star Wars or the old space opera stuff from the 50s and 60s).
    This.

I love sci-fi and I would looove to RP it (I sometimes do with my close friends who know that I'm not very techie-oriented ont hat aspect and have low sci-fi vocabulary haha), but it's all the tech talk that has to sound like it makes sense that usually throws me back. I'm the same with military RPs with everyone describing their (insert name of coolest ever weapon of choice here).

But think it can be a most entertaining thing to roleplay if done well.

(ooc)

I... didn't expect such an in-depth reponse. You really are an awesome mod, you Welcoming Cat you~

Though Tahiel brings up a good point I'd like to argue against. xD Science fiction isn't all techno-babble. It really isn't. Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black are science-fiction, but I don't ever remember any huge talks about how certain things works. Maybe the occasional word about an engine or how the sun on the penal colony would cook them to bits.

Sience-fiction ranges so much more than the space-oper space-babble. Book of Eli was science fiction, though obviously does not fit the mantra associated with the genre.

And then there's the science-coated fantasy Maneki mentioned. Some of my favorite sci-fi fit under that category, which includes Tron and Metroid. The technology isn't so much explained as much as it just is.

I myself only use techno-babble as flavour text, to make situations a bit more believable. I mostly only use biology babble, anyways. Chemistry and physics are a bit over my head.

I don't know. I mostly bring these things up because I was thinking about making some science-fiction-survival-puzzle roleplay here, with more emphasis on the puzzles than anything else. The science is just there to explain why the jangle of characters ends up on this strange planet in the first place. If I can get it all figured out, I'll try and put it up, and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Where I'm going in a few weeks might help its case as well as WTFRPG, since I might be able to find a lot of science-fiction roleplayers there.

At the very least, I'll be recruiting as many people as possible. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by ENob View Post
    Though Tahiel brings up a good point I'd like to argue against. xD Science fiction isn't all techno-babble. It really isn't. Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black are science-fiction, but I don't ever remember any huge talks about how certain things works. Maybe the occasional word about an engine or how the sun on the penal colony would cook them to bits.
    You have a good point with that! To be honest most the sci-fi RPs I found/stumbled upon when I was looking for them were all techie-speak, so mostly I never looked into it "deeper"; if I had, I might have found some more 'friendly' games out there. Maybe I just don't know how to look for them (or always ended up looking at the posts of the die-hard fans that describe the mechanics of everything :P).

On the other hand, I guess you could call my RP sorta vaguely sci-fi-ish since they are in another planet? lol

I'd be interested to join a sci-fi RP that was non-tech-savvy friendly, but I think I want to focus on just a couple large ones at a time for now, lest I end up in over my head.
    Last edited by Tahiel; 06-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.

(ooc)

Sounds like all the Trekkie roleplays I come across. I honestly love the shows, but I could never roleplay it. So much techno-babble. Gah.

Haha, that would qualify for vaguely-science-fiction. xD Superhero roleplays tend to fit under that category too. Especially X-Men. 'cause there's a whole lot of fantasy-like things going on that truthfully wouldn't comply with the laws of the universe as we know them, but it works. xDD~

I used to end up over my head all the time. Finally reached that point where I know when enough is enough. Due to that, this roleplay I have planned might not com out for a while, since I want to know enough of it ahead of time so that I'm not feverishly trying to keep thing up.

That, and I'm going to school for 3D game animation. So if I wait a bit, I can draw or model some of the things that might be in the roleplay. :3

Haha, yeah most of those were Trekkie/Stargate rps. :P Whenn they weren't going all techno-babble on one they were describing weaponry in the other. XDD

That's pretty awesome, to be able to draw/model/etc your own settings would be so cool. *_*

(ooc)

I don't know. I mostly bring these things up because I was thinking about making some science-fiction-survival-puzzle roleplay here, with more emphasis on the puzzles than anything else. The science is just there to explain why the jangle of characters ends up on this strange planet in the first place. If I can get it all figured out, I'll try and put it up, and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Where I'm going in a few weeks might help its case as well as WTFRPG, since I might be able to find a lot of science-fiction roleplayers there.

At the very least, I'll be recruiting as many people as possible. ;D
    I <3 RIDDICK. I have never been able to get a Riddick-based RP to work, and I wonder if it's because it's SciFi (which I love too, by the way, and don't think it gets enough RP-love).

I'd totally be interested to see what you start for a SciFi RP. I almost started one here, but then it seemed like none of the active members were into that sort of thing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiel View Post
    Haha, yeah most of those were Trekkie/Stargate rps. :P Whenn they weren't going all techno-babble on one they were describing weaponry in the other. XDD
    ...and I <3 Stargate too. But I imagine it would be a difficult one to RP, because they are pretty technical in the shows.

If you're here because you're a science-fiction roleplayer, what kind of science-fiction roleplays do you like to do? I myself am a fan of roleplays focused on alien worlds and cultures (which makes Mass Effect a heaven-send for me).

If you're here not for this reason, do you have speculation as to why science-fiction seems to be more unpopular with roleplayers? I have a few ideas myself, but they strike unkindly against the roleplaying community, and I'd like to see if there might be some better guesses. :3
    I'm not here specifically for that reason but I do love me some science fiction role play ^.^! Mass effect is AWESOME though RPing seems like it might be rough to me because the games focus so deeply on the shepard character and there can technically be only one Shepard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie Styx View Post
    I <3 RIDDICK. I have never been able to get a Riddick-based RP to work, and I wonder if it's because it's SciFi (which I love too, by the way, and don't think it gets enough RP-love).

I'd totally be interested to see what you start for a SciFi RP. I almost started one here, but then it seemed like none of the active members were into that sort of thing yet.

...and I <3 Stargate too. But I imagine it would be a difficult one to RP, because they are pretty technical in the shows.
    I also think a Ridick Rp would be awesome but hard to pull off well. I've actually taken part in a successful SG1 rp though ^_^! We had team members and we took turns choosing the "planet" and then guiding the other players across what ever surprises and enemies might be found.

I'd honestly say I am more of a sci-fantasy fan than a science fiction one xp. I love Star Wars and Star Trek TNG which I both consider to be more fantasy than other wise, lol. I also like steam punk which is something like science fantasy. I love the Jeckyl and Hyde concept because it has a facade of science and a flavor of fantasy. Of course, my biggest sci-fantasy fandom is DEFINITELY Doctor Who ^_^! It has just enough science to make things pseudo plausible and lots of out there stuff.

I love the genre of science fiction, but role playing it is just slightly hard in my opinion. Aside from the "jargon" the mechanics of what might work can be hard to agree upon some times That is to say why do things work on planet X and not on planet Z, or how does that faster than light system work and why might it break down? Where as, in my opinion, you can more or less gloss over the hows and why's and get right to the interaction which is the point of text based role play ;p. Just my thoughts any how

Haha, no problem. :3 I was at first surprised by how often the "fantasy" tag was used (look at the tags page. Hmm... I wonder what our users are mainly interested in creating games for so far?) and had been thinking about it on some level since I started watching the "fantasy" tag grow bigger and bigger. xD

Not that there's anything wrong with fantasy (it's what I intend to write for a living one day), but I was expecting an equal amount of fantasy and fan-based games and there are only a few fan-based games and none of them especially active at the moment (because most of them are still in setting-up stage). I sort of expected supernatural games to be third, followed (perhaps) by original superhero universes. I would have placed sci-fi after that, but not by too far. Then everything else bringing up the rear.

I'm expecting things to change and go in cycles as we get more users, though. Both because more players means more people making their own games and because the "first wavers" will start to seek out something they haven't played before or recently or at least has an original twist that makes it multi-genre.

I actually have a sci-fi game I've been working on for literally years. >_>; (It's actually a sci-fi universe with reality tv format and adventure and monster battling hijinx.) I'm sure this is the best place to set it up, but I'm still trying to get a feel for how people use the site and to see if I can streamline it a bit. I sort of went crazy planning it and I decided to sit on it when I realized how intimidating it would probably look at first.

So, that's my thoughts: sci-fi can be intimidating to casual roleplayers. I think that many people who roleplay sci-fi do so in their specific fandom that inspired the love for it. So it's a matter of reaching out to the people who are in those fandoms and wooing them over here so they can see our original sci-fi games (and sci-fi fan games, and just any of our games).

I know I'm essentially repeating my first post with the last paragraph. :P
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I never really thought of doing a Riddick-based roleplay. I personally love Pitch Black more, since that type of science-fiction-survival-thriller thing isn't done that well that often. I think Outlander and Dead Space: Aftermath are the only other two examples I've seen, or that imrinted themselves on my mind. Speaking of which, Christopher Judge, aka the actor for Teal'c, does the voice of one of the characters in Dead Space: Aftermath. :3 I've seen all of SG-1, just need to watch all of Atlantis and the movies minus the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    I'm not here specifically for that reason but I do love me some science fiction role play ^.^! Mass effect is AWESOME though RPing seems like it might be rough to me because the games focus so deeply on the shepard character and there can technically be only one Shepard.
    Mass Effect is rather easy to do, if you shift your eyes away from Shepard and look at the wealth of possibilities in the universe. Reading the novels made for it makes you realize how much else is going on that hardly involves Shepard. The books made me love Aria and Omega, and I've been searching for someone to do a ME roleplay set on Omega. I got one EM roleplay going with a team of two OC spectres and their diverse crew that include a maimed alcoholic quarian and a wig-wearing asari. :3

I actually have a sci-fi game I've been working on for literally years. >_>; (It's actually a sci-fi universe with reality tv format and adventure and monster battling hijinx.) I'm sure this is the best place to set it up, but I'm still trying to get a feel for how people use the site and to see if I can streamline it a bit. I sort of went crazy planning it and I decided to sit on it when I realized how intimidating it would probably look at first.

So, that's my thoughts: sci-fi can be intimidating to casual roleplayers. I think that many people who roleplay sci-fi do so in their specific fandom that inspired the love for it. So it's a matter of reaching out to the people who are in those fandoms and wooing them over here so they can see our original sci-fi games (and sci-fi fan games, and just any of our games).

That sounds like something I've been interested in looking into. I have something similar to that, (that is, a sci-fi game I've been conceptualizing for years) only it's an actual game and not meant for roleplaying. It's a point-and-click adventure that I may do one day, or maybe not. Regardless, I don't even know how its story ends or begins. I just grab some pencil crayons, start doodling the rooms, and then write blurbs on the back about the only two humans in the entire thing and their experiences in each room.

I'll have to keep a close eye on that science-fiction tag. I'll definitely be trying to recruit science-fiction fans, though of course I'll reach out to other people too. Basically, people I think will contribute something to the site~

I certainly didn't expect this thread to get that many replies. Figured it might be brushed over, given the level of activity versus the number of members. Though when I lurk the people who replied here are the people I normally see.

Except Nixie.
    I'm sure I would have recognized that avatar.

I never really thought of doing a Riddick-based roleplay. I personally love Pitch Black more, since that type of science-fiction-survival-thriller thing isn't done that well that often. I think Outlander and Dead Space: Aftermath are the only other two examples I've seen, or that imrinted themselves on my mind. Speaking of which, Christopher Judge, aka the actor for Teal'c, does the voice of one of the characters in Dead Space: Aftermath. :3 I've seen all of SG-1, just need to watch all of Atlantis and the movies minus the original.
    I use the term "Riddick" loosely to include all of the movies/animations based in that universe. Although, I haven't played the video game, so I guess I can't include that. The RP I tried to start involved many spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the Chronicles movie, so I won't get into it. ;D

And SG-1 is the best. I watched a season and a half of Atlantis and couldn't get over Rodney. :/ Something about him... *shrug*

What about Firefly? I noticed no one has really brought that up yet. That's been a classic SciFi fanbased RP, in my experience.

Also, I'm getting the feeling I need to do more looking into Mass Effect. I know nothing about it, and I feel like I should. It sounds fun.

Except Nixie.
    I'm sure I would have recognized that avatar.
    xD I recently changed my avatar due to someone mistaking me for a boy because of it. *grin*

And SG-1 is the best. I watched a season and a half of Atlantis and couldn't get over Rodney. :/ Something about him... *shrug*

What about Firefly? I noticed no one has really brought that up yet. That's been a classic SciFi fanbased RP, in my experience.

Also, I'm getting the feeling I need to do more looking into Mass Effect. I know nothing about it, and I feel like I should. It sounds fun.

xD I recently changed my avatar due to someone mistaking me for a boy because of it. *grin*
    Really? Rodney's a favourite among everyone I know who watches. David Hewlitt is a good actor, though most of the characters he plays all seem rather similar. Though I haven't seen The Dog's Breakfast, so I probably shouldn't judge that yet.

Mass Effect really has some interesting locations and historical events. Politically, I think it'd be interesting to do something taking place during the Krogan Rebellions or during the fallout from the First Contact War. Though after reading the books and the comics, I'm very interested in the clashing that goes on between Aria, the Illusive Man, and the Shadow Broker. The internal social network of the quarians to me means the Migrant Fleet would be somewhere interesting to roleplay, especially if it was just a generation after the geth drove them out~

I really love the franchise so much. Someone I came across once thought that I memorized the information or something, but I just read the books and the codex entries and remember them well. Though certain things I know better from doing a bit of checking for my Mass Effect roleplay, especially when establishing how old my asari characters are.

Hmm. So maybe I have seen you around. xD

I usually try and make myself androgenous on internet site, especially where roleplaying is involved. I roleplay mainly on Gaiaonline these days, and my avatar is dressed as a cow. So I can fake whatever gender I please if the person I want to roleplay with wants a specific gender, though usually because of my wants I end up with partner who don't care. I'm usually not mistaken for the wrong gender in typing, though someone once thought I was a gay man. It made me lol. In real life my face is rather androgenous. Which means I can do alright in costuming as a boy~ This halloween I'mma be a gender-bender Dexter. From the hit show Dexter. I just need to find myself a guy who will be a gender-bender Deborah and it'll be epic. <33

This halloween I'mma be a gender-bender Dexter. From the hit show Dexter. I just need to find myself a guy who will be a gender-bender Deborah and it'll be epic. <33
    That is freaking awesome! I loove Dexter!
    firefly is another sci-fantasy to me, more fantasy than science fiction. I've played it before, but sadly it fell apart almost upon creation.
    Hmm but before that t.v. series and later movie, I still adored the 'insane/powerful person in s box' concept xp. I like some what crazy characters in all genres and being locked in a box is certainly good starting point for insanity.

@neko- a self created science fiction universe sounds amazing but like it would just be soooo much work. Lol I dunno maybe it is just me, but I would want a fairly well defined set of "rules" for how things worked through science and politics before I ever started.

~~~~~

Oh Oh has any one ever tried science fiction variants on the classics, those can be fun too. I think I have RPed in about six different variants of alice in wonderland and in one of them I was the virus ridden computer program known only as Cheshire who's objective was to mislead the alice thing.

And another random thought, I was totally forgetting a few of my other science fiction fandoms. Reboot is tons of fun to role play in. And the world of Tron is great fun to be a part of ;p. They are both sort of the same thing and yet not, the idea of being that which brings your computer or game to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerion View Post
    That is freaking awesome! I loove Dexter!

~~~~~

Oh Oh has any one ever tried science fiction variants on the classics, those can be fun too. I think I have RPed in about six different variants of alice in wonderland and in one of them I was the virus ridden computer program known only as Cheshire who's objective was to mislead the alice thing.

And another random thought, I was totally forgetting a few of my other science fiction fandoms. Reboot is tons of fun to role play in. And the world of Tron is great fun to be a part of ;p. They are both sort of the same thing and yet not, the idea of being that which brings your computer or game to life.

Dexter is epic, and the books are even moreso~ Though in the books you learn what exactly the Dark Passenger is, and then things get really weird from there.

I've always wanted to do stuff like that, sounds awesome~ On Gaia I tend to scare away a lot of potential partners with all the information in my search thread, so I haven't had many chances for many things. Though usually I don't repeat ideas, if only because of scarcity and the diversity of the partners that do reach out to me. :3

But science-fiction fairytales//classics have been something I've always wanted to do <33

Reboot was a great show, don't think I'd want to fiddle with it though. Tron on the other hand~ I love Tron. Jeff bridges got me into it <3

I realize this thread is a bit old... but here he're just my... 2 dollar? 50 cent? 1 penny? 2 penny? (American idioms... sighs)

I was in a Star Trek RPG. The techno-babble is just too much. I needed to have the ST wiki and a site called Officiers guide up to be able to keep up, which slowed me down a bit. It's a bit off-pulling.

However on Twitter I've seen and follow a big amouth of Star Wars roleplayers. There's a non-canon RPG planet called Tynaara (Think I spelled it right). It's the most habited non-canon planet on Twitter. :P Alot of differnt RPs has that planet as a point of story.

Mass Effect could be fun. It's not very much techo-babble in it. Also a thing I get annoyed with is the big focus on Earth and Humans. The galaxy is filled with other races but they don't get much space. In ME2 they abducted human colonists and in ME3 they will attack Earth. I mean c'mon...

Then you could also go crazy and create your own Sci-Fi universe. I got some ideas about FTL travel and such.

However Star Trek, despise the techo-babble, would be very fun to roleplay. In this group I was in I would have loved to go from the Academy to a ship. Apperantly the GM didn't think I was good enough.

Two cents. xD (Which is two pennies, but is phrased "two cents". Though many joke about inflation so they increase the amount of money for the input and add "because of inflation" or some other such notation.) (Also, it is usually, "off-putting" rather than "off-pulling".)

/end helpful and possibly rude part of post

I think that Trekkies just like their techno-babble. I rarely see that in other sci-fi rpgs that I skim over, though one Star Wars rpg I looked into said we would need to use the Wookiepedia if we wanted to play in his game, because he intended to follow canon fairly closely. I haven't seen many other sci-fi games in action, so I don't know how they trend on technobabble.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Two cents. xD (Which is two pennies, but is phrased "two cents". Though many joke about inflation so they increase the amount of money for the input and add "because of inflation" or some other such notation.) (Also, it is usually, "off-putting" rather than "off-pulling".)

/end helpful and possibly rude part of post
    Not rude. Helpful. Thanks.

I wonder if it really is so much techo-babble in the show? (Have only seen ENT, VOY and some TOS but it was awhile.)

Job hunting...these buggers are gorram impossible to catch
    I'm a large fan of Sci-fi roleplays though I've never been part of one. The talk starts in a brainstorming thread and grows to a plan and then something happens and the idea gets dropped. I don't know why but it just seems to happen.(wish it didn't)

As for all the techno babble...I tend to ignore it and imagine that to some extent a lot of copy paste happens throughout those threads. Especially if someone isn't as savvy with the whole 'verse that's been created. Whether it's a Starwars, Trekkie, or other formed setting. Personally i think some great settings would be those of Firefly, or Dead Space. where it's a simple advance on current techs and shouldn't need to much explaining or techno babble.

Dead Space is great for no-techno-babble. What little there is is easy to understand, especially since the weapons aren't huge and fancy and are just engineering tools and such.

Might be interesting to have a Dead Space roleplay on here, though I'm still working on finished Dead Space 2 and want to get my hands on Dead Space: Downfall before I go diving in~

It's been awhile since I've watched Star Trek, but I think the fans are much more guilty of technobabble than the show itself. I think the show only uses it in the following situations:
    a) they need to establish that something works because of a technology beyond modern possibilities,
    b) they need to establish that someone knows what they're talking about/are good at their job,
    c) they want to ramp up the tension of the moment by having the characters bark unintelligible orders at each other.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'm a sci-fi role player myself. It, like with you, is my favorite genre and I adore it to bits and pieces. I currently run an open sand-box style role play combined with a galaxy building project called CARMINE here on WTFRPG. For me I'm a lover of mixing my sci-fi, I LOVE space opera (Farscape being one of my favorite as far as sci-fi pop culture goes) and tend really enjoy the grandiose stories, romances and space adventures. I also enjoy myself some good old steampunk or skypunk . . . or any of the punks . . . I like to mix and match! >D

Sorry for the shitty ramble post. Its late and I wanted to say something before I went to sleep.

Quick edit, this is one of my favorite quotes: "fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible." Rod Serling. For it's the reason I love sci-fi, there is an explanation for everything even magic (which is a theme I implement in my sci-fi often.)

I try to explain it like this in sci-fi I have all the creative options I do in fantasy and even more. I can do everything I do in fantasy in sci-fi and I can have all the extra techno-jargon on top of it all. I can have magic, dragons, otherworldly begins at the same time I can have plasma weapons, space ships, and galactic governments. I can do everything in one genre, I can have the best of both worlds when I do sci-fi.
    Last edited by Strude; 07-28-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Adding some stuff about my opinion of sci-fi.

FARSCAPE. Need. To. Watch. Baaaah!
    I also love the -punk genres, and make up terms of my own to explain what doesn't have names. Ffffff Punk. I loooove it.
    Also, mixing fantasy in science-fiction... just... yes. It's why I prefer the newer Final Fantasy games over the old ones <3

Idk. I think I love you.
    Also, you're Canadian too.
    I originally live north of you by 45 minutes~
    But right now I live in B.C., about an hour's flight away or a ten hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan Cat View Post
    FARSCAPE. Need. To. Watch. Baaaah!
    I also love the -punk genres, and make up terms of my own to explain what doesn't have names. Ffffff Punk. I loooove it.
    Also, mixing fantasy in science-fiction... just... yes. It's why I prefer the newer Final Fantasy games over the old ones <3

Idk. I think I love you.
    Also, you're Canadian too.
    I originally live north of you by 45 minutes~
    But right now I live in B.C., about an hour's flight away or a ten hour drive.

Well look at this I just keep running into people who live close to me or once did! >D Loads of Canadians on this site too, pretty damn cool.

Oh man if you ever want to watch Farscape I can totally do a livestream. I haven't done it in a while but I used to livestream TV and anime for my friends! I plan to start again soon for a friend of mine because she wants to see Generation Kill and I have the boxset. But yeah I have the entire boxset, all 4 seasons, of Farscape + The Peace Keeper Wars (and then I can't livestream this but I own all the comics too . . .well almost all I'm missing 3 . . . the store didn't have them at the time when I was there.) YES I fucking LOVE Farscape.

Firefly is another gooder but I don't know a single sci-fi fan who hasn't seen it. If you haven't I can stream that mofo too, because EVERYONE needs to see that. Firefly ranks right beside Farscape for me, I love them both so much. It's another series I have the comics for too! >D

ANYWAYS, FUCKING HELL YEAH TO THE PUNKS! I want to get working on my steampunk outfit. I plan to start on my steampunk headphones on my next pay check, working ones to boot! XD I want to get my brother to join me. We're pretty damn creative yuppies and we have a very crafty uncle who would help up craft weapons. I'm going to modify some nurf guns! XD

I think that is why I always like the Final Fantasy game in general because they all do the whole science fantasy thing. Some more fantasy than others, and the some more sci-fi. It makes me all happy. > w <'

It's also the reason I love WoW and pretty much the entire Blizzard Universe.

NOW COME. LET US MAKE SWEET LOVE . . .

Last edited by Strude; 08-03-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Woot for Canadians!! *dances* Seriously, I am STOKED for so many Canadians here! I've never been anywhere before that has had so many of us around! It's sorta nice not feeling like a minority for once *proud sniffle* I'm from BC myself^^
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

I always managed to find a lot of Canadians wherever I went online, but still Americans tended to be the majority . . . depending on the time of night I was online at! XD

But none the less it is nice to be someplace were every second person is Canadian! >D >D >D