Thread: ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn┊ interestthread

ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn┊ interestthread

ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn┊
    BROUGHT TO YOU BY JING

Title: Halcyon | ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn
    Genre: Action ; Supernatural ; Alternative Universe
    Literacy: Intermediate - Advance
    Rating: PG-13

I'm too lazy to type up a legitimate interest thread. So, I didn't.

Lots of actions!
    Mercenaries hired out to governments / private individuals.
    Really awesome, really fantastic powers!
    A super kick-ass story line (There's mystery involved!).
    Only eight playable characters, though. ):

Please feel free to ask me questions. I will answer all questions thoroughly and to the best of my abilities. I just don't want to ramble about my idea for days without any prompts. Plus, I wanted to see if people would be interested in joining the game before I actually release it in the upcoming week.

Last edited by joonsexual; 01-29-2013 at 07:16 AM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn┊
    BROUGHT TO YOU BY JING

The following is a brief FAQ addressing possible questions.

1. WHY ARE YOU MAKING ANOTHER GAME? DIDN'T YOU RECENTLY CLOSE PENTIMENTO / ATG?

I'm not going to lie: This is a very sudden, spur-of-the-moment decision. Having said that, I don't believe Halcyon is a rushed game. I don't think the game is poorly constructed. If anything, Halcyon is better formulated and better organized than Pentimento, a game saturated with structure. Finally, even though I have closed both Pentimento and Glitters, I don't believe the closing of those games have any bearings on Halcyon. They are completely separate and distinct matters.

2. EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF GAME IS HALCYON?

Halcyon is a dark mystery game with a healthy serving of action and the supernatural. I use the word "supernatural," but it may be more appropriate to say, "fantasy." The story revolves around eight individuals, who are members of an elite organization that trains humans with special abilities.

3. THIS SOUNDS KIND OF LIKE X-MEN. IS THIS A SCHOOL RP?

No. While the core setting is a school, the story is not a school-themed RP. In fact, there is little time actually spent milling around or on the campus. Most of the game will occur at various locations around the world.

4. ARE WE PLAYING AS SUPERHEROES? ARE WE TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD?

The characters are not necessarily superheroes or even heroes. The characters have unique abilities, but are more akin to mercenaries that work for pay than alturism. Having said that, the characters are not necessarily evil-minded, money-grubbers. Since all missions are assigned by the academy, the characters have no real say over which missions they would like or, conversely, which missions they wouldn't like. Furthermore, money is also handled by the academy (every character has a stipend or salary).

As for saving the world, not every story is about something grand or epic.

5. THERE ARE EIGHT CHARACTERS, ARE THESE SLOTS OR FREE-FORM CHARACTERS?

Each character is accompanied by a brief description or a shell. The following is an example:

THE CRIMSON FLAME

You were brought into the academy at the age of fourteen and you graduated when you were twenty-one.

This is the basic shell. All characters must adhere to the limits prescribed in the shell, but are free to design the personality and the history of the character as they see fit.

6. CAN WE RESERVE CHARACTERS? IS IT GOING TO BE FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVE?

No, you can't ask for a reservation and, no, this is not a strictly first-come, first serve basis. Interested parties will be asked to fill out a small background check (BGC). The BGC will not ask for a sample post, but it will ask for a brief description of your character's personality and history. It will also ask for a small blurb about the character.

If I like what is proposed, I reserve the right to immediately accept the character (thus closing off the slot to more applicants). If I think the design won't serve its purpose, I also reserve the right to decline the character. If, however, I am not strongly moved by either side, I'll clear the BGC and wait to make a decision after the profile is completed.

7. SINCE WE'RE FRIENDS, CAN I GET A RESERVE?

No, this is a really terrible mindset to have and carry. I'm not going to compromise the integrity of the game because you happen to be my friend. I want the best possible cast out there and, if you were my friend, you'd also want the same thing. So, please, don't ask or insinuate anything. It's really upsetting to me.

TUMBLR.

ʜᴀʟ ❖ ᴄʏᴏn┊
    BROUGHT TO YOU BY JING

Additional information, relevant to the story, can be found here.

1. WHAT KIND OF SETTING IS HALCYON GOING TO HAVE?

Halcyon is set on Earth, but in an obviously fictitious future. The year is 5032 A.D. and much of the world is suffering from the mistakes of the past. Excessive use of unclean energy has created rot in the environment and various "replacement" energy sources have not done any better. Air, in most places, are heavy with contamination and, as a temporary fix, many "modern" day cities are built in layers.

There is the first level—the slums, the sewage of the past. The first level is dirty and grimy and the air is stale with machinery. The second level is a grander city of pretty lights, fancy cars, and fashionable people. It is a paradise compared to the hell that lives below. The residents of the two levels live completely different lives despite being only an elevator ride away.

In some places, access to the elevator is restricted and guarded by the military.

In any case, the world is a technologically advanced society. Hovercrafts don't exist, but things like virtual simulation does. AIs such as Jarvis (from Ironman) are no longer a dream, but a reality (although an expensive reality). Further information about the world will be provided upon the game's release.

2. WHERE IS THE ACADEMY LOCATED? AND WHAT IS IT CALLED?

The academy is situated in an unmarked territory. It's shielded by illusions and only people with permission can see or access the building. Additionally, the academy's environment does not seem to experience seasons or weather changes like the rest of the world, which makes it difficult to know precisely where the school is. Moreover, it's not really an important point. Finally, the school's/institution's official name is: Sidereus.

TUMBLR.

A Shining Example Sweetsunnyrain's Avatar
    Q A Q This is like...omg. Why do you come up with awesome plots

Clumsy Apprentice A Simple Sigh's Avatar
    I'm very interested in this. Maybe if I can find the time, I'll probably attempt at joining. ^w^

Thank you for your interest thus far! It's very encouraging! (:

If you would like to see the development of the game, here is a link.

TUMBLR.

If everything goes according to plan, I will have the role-play completely set up (read: ready for applications) by the end of the week! (:

TUMBLR.