Login to your account

Thread: About "Groups" (and albums)

About "Groups" (and albums)

I'm sorry, I'm always full of questions. D:

I not-so recently noticed the "groups" section- at first I had thought it was admin-managed (in the sense that the "Adult permissions" group was part of it and only admins could make groups), but it seems they are two different things (groups-groups and permission-groups, where "adult" is).

I was wondering, can we make groups? (I know the button right there says we technically can, but can we? lol)
    Are they being saved for something specific or can we make groups of whatever (book group? manga group? character fanclub? yaoi fanclub? etc etc)
    Are we gonna/can we use them as a third way to do RPs? XDDD

And what are the rules (if there's any) regarding albums? Can we use them for the extras we put on the RPs (images, pics, etc), art, photos, whatever?

Also, where's this "uservoice" tab? XD I'm not finding it.

/shuts up now (maybe XD).

(ooc)

uservoice?

What and where's that?
    "I know we'll imprint Whiskey with the Tenth Doctor!"
    "And then my brain will implode."
    "Yes, but we will have saved the world."

Well, *points* I noticed only today that on this section for feedback and so, the description says "To suggest new features, please use the "Uservoice" tab!" but I can't find said tab, so yah. XD But apparently it's to submit new feature ideas. ^^

(ooc)

Hmm, that's cool. Maybe it's coming soon.
    "I know we'll imprint Whiskey with the Tenth Doctor!"
    "And then my brain will implode."
    "Yes, but we will have saved the world."

XD I don't mind questions! Even if they're from the same person - no worries.

If you can use groups and want to use them for anything, feel free to use them for whatever. xD We have "groups" on Menewsha, so I'm vaguely familiar with them, but I don't like the way they're set up, so I don't use them and don't know much about how they work. xD;

Albums are for your use for whatever you need them for. I don't think they allow picture storage for any image that's very big (like it resizes it smaller) but it's great for storing avatars/signature pictures. You might want to consider something like Photobucket for larger pictures. I'm pretty sure you can't restrict albums by permissions groups, so adult images probably wouldn't be allowed. (I'm too lazy to test right now. >_> Sorry. xD; )

I think for now we may not be getting "Uservoice", so I'll edit it out of the description until we do. xD; It's an off-site service that allows voting on new features. (As in, a user suggests a new feature and people can comment and vote on it. The ones that get the most votes are usually priority.)
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

Thanks for the answers!!!

The groups here- what type of groups are they? Or will I have to try and see? XDD
    Like, for instance I know a vB that uses "groups" just to add images from your albums to, a different one that uses groups that open up an own "mini forum" section, another one that does both the above, and a last one that just opens "permissions" that allow you to see more forums (just like the permissions group for adult).

And will there be categories added to them? (since it has the drop down to sort them by categories)

And oooh, I know what you meant now by uservoice lol (like getsatisfaction and thoseother sites, gotcha!)

While I'm on the roll of being annoying... XD Perhaps in the far future the "advertising" for RPs area could change from a sub-section to something a bit different? More visually... different.... or something lol. I was just thinking because I noticed people seemed to find the rp and OOC posts first over the advertisement ones. (which is great, but it made it kind of funny to have an advertising section that's sorta overlooked).

<3 thank you

(ooc)

I guess you're going to have to try and see. >_> ::sheepish:: It's probably a "miniforums" type, though, seeing as that's what is on Menewsha. xD; (I only ever joined them to show my interest in "boys love" or "drawing" or "DS" or whatever - hanging out in them was inferior to a forum thread to me, so I've largely ignored them. xD; )

I don't know anything about categories for groups. D: But if it's important to anyone, I'll make categories that they suggest. xD

I keep changing and rearranging that area because I'm still not very happy with it. Right now I'm considering breaking it off from OOC to its own group so that the advertising and interest gathering forums can stand on their own and hopefully see more use because they're not lost in all the other OOC forums. :' Do you think breaking it off would help?
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Well, if groups ARE used, it would be good to have a way to categorize them? Dunno what to suggest for them though, maybe like manga & anime, movies, books, RPs? lol Maybe look around mene's groups for categories? XDDDD

Breaking off the advertising section from the OOC area might help, but perhaps only if it's higher up than it? (You know, people gets lazy to scroll down sometimes lol).

I'll go mess with the groups briefly XDDD

(ooc)

I wonder if they're even categorized on Mene... >_>

Yeah - I was thinking it'd have to be higher above OOC for visibility. xD I'll go futz with it now while I'm thinking of it. xD
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Okay, well, if anyone's interested, groups have miniforum+album abilities. I'm not sure what the limits are in regards to poss and such, but I think you should consider making them a different kind of RPing feature besides just interest gathering groups! XDD Then one can really RP any way they want here! So much to choose from!

(ooc)

If people want to roleplay in them, they're more than free to. xD I could make that one of the categories after I figure out where to go in vB to set categories for groups.

I don't think Insomniac would let alxjvr fiddle with customizing the groups as he doesn't want to create security loopholes from too much customizing of vB, but it'd be easy enough to make a category if that's already part of the software. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Haha, it would be cool to have that as category too.
    Well, not customizing, but it'd be good to know if there is any limit to say, groups one can have, or pics one can upload, or topics one can start. Just to cover all bases for those who want to use them as more than just interest badges. X)

(ooc)

Unless there's a limit imposed by the system, I have no personal limit. xD I'll have to look in the settings tonight and see if there's one listed. (But I'd have to find it first. D: )
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Did you find anything about system limitations on groups?

If you found where to add categories, I have some random suggestions for them (you can rename them to sound nicer lol):

- RP Games (for those who want to open games there
    - RP OOC (for those who want to move OOC or open OOC of the games in the groups)

And then there could be fan stuff, like:

- Entertainment (books, movies, plays, etc)
    - People (actors, actresses, etc)
    - Anime & Manga (for the obvious)
    - Tabletop Games (for groups on discussions of them, systems, etc)
    - Fan clubs ? (for OCs and original RPs maybe? WTFRPG fan, and stuff like that XD)
    - Hobbies (photography clubs, writing clubs, etc)
    - Misc/other (for everything else?)

OR

Another way would be to have it just mostly RP oriented. In which case, you can put:

- Fan clubs (for all non RP oriented clubs)
    - OOC (for RP clubs' OOC needs)
    - Various genre categories (sci-fi, historical, futuristic, yaoi, romance, adult, etc)

I kind of like the idea of having only one fan category where to stick everything (I'm not sure if it has sub-categories, which would allow for more organization), and then leaving the rest as RP-oriented, since the site is all about RPGing. X)
    But yeah, that's my suggestion, anyway.

Also, it would be nice to make a small cosmetic change to the groups, so that the bar on the left could be placed horizontally at the top instead (and thus allow more room for the discussions and albums area), as well as shifting the photos under the discussion section.

(ooc)

Sorry for not responding to this. o_o I never saw this as a new post. D: I wonder how much else I'm missing...

I came here to tell you I added some group categories. Haha. xD I'll add some of the ones I didn't add... One sec... ( ::work work:: ) There we go.
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin