Login to your account

Thread: Sunken (Artsy and mew)

Sunken (Artsy and mew)

Abandoned her, did they? They threw old Juliet to the wolves when she had nothing more to offer, did they? Well, she hoped that the guild would take like the most fatal of disease in their shrivelled hearts and that they would find no peace! And good riddance, she says! Yes, they would rue this day when they threw away the woman who revolutionized singing for the whole world back in her day or she wasn't called Juliet Frau!

It had been two years now that they put her in this dump of a district and she still remembered it like it was yesterday. That cursed day when her own granddaughter exiled her to the low district, where the old and unwanted lived. She did not know how she went wrong with that girl, as she was good to her and taught her all she knew, after all...

Walking in the dirty streets of what she loather to call her home, the old octogenarian made her way to the market to buy something to eat, dark shawls draped around her to prevent the chill of being in a underwater city, she couldn't help but think that it was oddly cold today, the magic protecting the city should have made her eel warmer than she was now, wouldn't it? Or maybe that was her old bones that were talking...

No matter, she had to get to her destination, and fast as wares and food in these parts were scarce. As she approached, her weary eyes were pleased to see that there was still some food to buy, only to glare in dismay as a family appeared and brought it all. She knew then that she would have to feed off the city's trash depository again.

Humble Farmer With a Sword mewmint20's Avatar
    ElizabethRubyDonovan

Most people when dared to go to somewhere like the abandoned levels would make up some story of how they went down there, but never actually go. Making some evidence of it or with the intricate tale itself, explain how they couldn’t get anything. Not Elizabeth, she was going to go down there and get something for real. The way in to the level was intricate, as the further down they went the higher the chance of flooding, she passed through air tight chambers the piping that pumped fresh air in to the rooms around her beginning to pump something that smelt stagnant.

Her shoes gently echoed through the silence as she moved down a set of dirty steps. Perhaps her attire wasn’t best suited for this type of thing. The black dress hovering just above the floor, luckily not touching it, but her cloak did; no issue she could cut off the bottom when she got back. All her outfits were like this though; it was part of being a member of such an important family. The long beautiful dresses, the cloaks, the shoes. As she stepped round a corner she saw a place with food, a family bought it and left. She couldn’t help but be disgusted and intrigued by these people. Perhaps she should merely grab something now, she was there after all, then she could return to the surface before things got messy. She knew thieves and ruffians lived down here, it’s why she hadn’t brought anything with her but a few items of food and the clothes she wore.

This place was colder than where she lived and she pulled the cloak around her, approaching an old woman who seemed annoyed at the family, she was no idiot and she held out a box of packed food to the old lady. She had been taught to respect her elders and wondered why the woman was down here. “Excuse me Ma’am I’m looking for…” what was she looking for. “I’m looking for something interesting, perhaps a broken machine?” it was opportune, she could take part of it back up with her, all the machines ran perfect up there any missing part would be claimed but hers wouldn’t.

Juliet was of course suspicious when that richly dressed girl gave her a box that, a short inspection later was identified as full of food. Wary the old woman glared at the girl as she listened to her question.

“Look around you, everything is broken here, you just have to pick anything up and hope that it don't belong to someone, girl!”

Carefully putting the food securely in her bag, Juliet clutched it to her bosom and started to slowly walk away, her job done, as far as she was concerned. Not to mention that the filly reminded her of her treacherous granddaughter. You couldn't trust youth, these days!

The walk back to her little hole in the wall would take some time without her cane but she would have to do without it! It had been taken by the treacherous swine with her jewellery and fine dresses, after all...

ElizabethRubyDonovan

The old woman seemed to be having difficulty walking, perhaps someone had stolen a cane she once had, or that was the conclusion Elizabeth came to, down here though if she needed to she would tell that her name was Ruby. She recognized the loud noises of an area being sealed off; her father had told her it was happening, was that today. She would be trapped down here, the place would flood without the ‘power’ being received, Moving after the old woman she sighed.

“Please, they’ve sealed the place off do you know of another way out?” perhaps she shouldn’t tell the inhabitants about the sealing she followed the old lady “you would be greatly rewarded for helping me. You need not go hungry for another day, or live down here.” She was sure the woman must have heard of a second way out, perhaps a passage less traveled, she knew that undesirables had snuck in to the city before and mentioned a passage.

”I know trust is not given, it is earned; I ask how I may earn yours. I am also aware the once broken trust is like a mirror, you can pick up the pieces and put them back together, but you will always see the cracks.” it was an old saying but she believed with all of her being.
    Last edited by mewmint20; 11-18-2012 at 12:23 AM.

“Merely pretty words, like my granddaughter kept telling me, won't be fooled twice!” Juliet scowled, her new box of food possessively clutched to her chest as she wailed her answer to the young woman. “You think you can fool old Juliet Frau, don't you? Well, I've seen far better actors than you in my time and you won't get to me!” The old woman was now in hysterics as something else the younger woman said penetrated her misery. “No, I will get out of here by myself! If it's a scheme by Amelia, I will take care of it no doubt about it!”

With that Juliet started to the main entrance leading to the upper levels, not caring if Ruby followed her in her chaotic state of mind. They passed through numerous hovels on the way to the gate, the streets empty and filthy, littered with trash. With half an hour of unsteady stomping, Juliet stopped at an unwelcome obstacle: The gate was closed off by an emergency barrier. The women would have to find another way out.

“Could... could it be true...?” The elderly woman whispered, distraught. “No... it isn't supposed to end like this... No. I won't let it end like this.” As if finding a new spring of courage deep withing her heart, Juliet turned around and walked to a dark alley with purpose.

The old woman knew where she would go. No one stopped Juliet Frau!

Elizabeth saw the woman walking off talking to herself; she didn’t seem dangerous so Elizabeth followed her. Falling silent as she did, the woman although old seemed determined not to let the sealing cause her death, so she followed her hopeful that she knew another way out. She didn’t speak anymore, if she was called upon for help she would, she wasn’t afraid to get her hands dirty, yet the woman seemed to hate her.

Perhaps not her but something about her, she had mentioned her name was Juliet Frau and the surname sounded familiar. Amelia Frau, it definitely rang some bells. Then it dawned on her, she hated Amelia for her own reasons not that telling this woman, was apparently her grandmother, would really help any but Ruby could understand the disdain towards Amelia.