GRAMMAR GIRL

Grammar is important. It's really, really, really important. And because it is so important, I've decided to link the community to a really fun (and easy) site! It provides excellent references for problem situations (don't know why an M dash is for? Or need a refresher on semicolons?) and, overall, can help everyone take the next step in being better writers.

Granted, this is a creative writing community and, as the creative writing community is apt to say, grammar isn't always a top priority! That's just not true. I think that SOME liberties taken with the English language are acceptable, but it's a horrible mindset to have when you're still learning the basics.

Fact is, in the year that I have been on this site, I've encountered dozens and dozens of posts that are littered and filled with common errors! Some, you can attribute to typos (but, as a respected writer, why aren't you double-checking your writing more closely?) and, others, just make me sad.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect. Hell, I'm a far cry from having polished, errorless writing, but, as a community, I think we should strive to improve on our shortcomings. I'm still learning and, really, I would love it if the community grew with me as well. (: