Login to your account

Thread: We are Gods

Background NPC

We are Gods

This is a Role Play idea that will allow anyone and everyone to flex their creativity. An RP that can be as fun and / or serious as we make it. In this RP we each play our own God. They can look how ever you chose. You are ball of light so intensely focused no one dare gaze upon it. You are a lion headed gorilla with no legs and water constantly pouring out of your mouth. You are a lamp that is not plugged in but it is always lit. You powers are new limitless. I'll ask that you restrain yourself in some way just to force yourself to be creative and make this interesting for the rest of us. This is all the pregame.

The game itself will be played like this. The first location created will be our "Mount Olympus" if you will. A place only home to Gods. Here we are all equals. From here we will all create our own planets using what ever powers we have given ourselves. This planet can be how ever you want it. Land masses look how ever you please and the creatures that live upon it are what your mind desires. Only one thing lays beyond your God's control. The free will of those creatures. Along with your God you may also play 1 creature on each planet. While playing at someones location remember that your character is completely at the mercy of the God who owns that location, but that doesn't mean you have to play nice. If you die you simply make another character.

The only way to die in this RP is if your God itself visits another Gods planet. You are then an Avatar and your powers are super human at best. If your God is a living star that forged his planet of iron and steel using his own life force flames and rules over steam punk elephants with wings then you visit someone else's planet and you are somewhere between the human torch and the tinker.

Anyone have any thoughts?

~Tud

This sounds incredibly fun, I'm definitely in this.

Though raw creativity isn't my my strong point, I generally just tweak stuff I get from books/movies to my own liking.

Uchihageshi!

Background NPC
    If raw creativity isn't your strong point than this will be a great exercise to help you build upon that skill. I am sure if you run into any creative troubles someone will be willing to help you. Also, there is nothing wrong with having a God and a world puzzled together from tweaked books and movies. If that is what you want that is what you may create. I am glad to have your interest and I look forward to what type of world you invent.

~Tud

As I see it this makes character interaction kinda hard to do as the gods would not really have a reason to leave their world. Could you tweak the plot to add one or more of them?

Background NPC
    The Gods will interact with each other at the " Mount Olympus " like area set away from all these planets. This is our home. If your God's limitations stop them from causing an event that you want on your planet you may be able to barter with another god or ask them for help as a friend or black male them into helping you. Maybe you really enjoy some aspects of someone elses planet and you want part of that on yours. You could strike some sort of deal giving them restricted dominion on your planet in order to create with you. Maybe this is all a chess game to you and another player. You share limited dominion and create rules in which both parties must obey then you play with the lives of the planets inhabitants to see who can win a bet. Or maybe you want to thank tank ideas with other gods on how to manage your planet and the races that live on it. Just a few ideas on how your Gods may interact.

A lot of player interaction will be between God and the inhabitants of its planet. As soon as you breathe life onto your world all other RPers will be able to create character on that world (These characters will be a race already existing on the planet) Unless of course your God brings a creature from their planet onto that planet and it is able to survive in that worlds conditions. Maybe it is your Gods way of sabotaging someones planet. But the God that owns that planet may destroy the creature at any time.

If you have any other ideas beyond that share them with me and we will see what works.

~Tud

Quote Originally Posted by Tudutsujin View Post
    you are somewhere between the human torch and the tinker.
    I had to pop in just to say I laughed at this so hard. I have literally no idea why but I just found it pretty amusing. I don't know anybody but you who has heard of the tinkerer. Even my friends who enjoy comic books haven't heard of him.

Okay, so here's my suggestions to help you work out some kinks I'm feeling.

What exactly is the plot of the story?

A lot of people like to know why they're partaking in a story. If we can gather a general idea of what will happen, we're usually more likely to engage in the story. There is nothing wrong with a loose plot, only it's not for everyone (such as myself, I find stories without plots or general directions to be unorganized and hard to really dive into -- but that's just me).

My advice is to really hone in on what you want this story to do. Is this just a free for all? Like in the Sims where there isn't really a purpose, other than to have fun. While figuring that out, you might think about the end result. What do you want the participants to take away from this story. How should they feel? What should they think? How will this help them?

Think about what makes you join roleplays. What do you like? What are you drooling over? What are some of things that make you cringe or shy away from an idea? What about those indifferent roleplays that don't make you feel anything -- why do they make you feel this way?

Sometimes too much ambiguity can be confusing.
    I've been there, done that (and I've had someone rip my idea apart limb from limb). We all want to make all-encompassing stories that will meet a wide range of participants. But sometimes having too many options makes it too hard to manage. And it can also be super confusing.

My thought? Maybe cup down on the number of oddities and worlds to travel to. Rather than having people make up their own planet, god, races, etc. you give them three worlds to work with and then they can build characters off them them. If someone can and wants to go outside those preset ideas, then you can let them do so.

The reason I wouldn't join this is because it seems like I would invest a lot of time and for nothing (this isn't meant to sound harsh or rude, I just wanted to let you know my honest thoughts behind this). I love making characters, worlds, races and such up. I do not like when a roleplay only lasts for a week. Investing much time and effort into something that is loosely designed is a big "no-no" for me. Again, I would offer setting up some boundaries and stuff. There is nothing wrong with making up five worlds and then having people design characters after those worlds. And, again, for me, I want a plot -- something to work with. A direction and reason behind the game.

Let's dissect one of my less-involved games - S7Nera. It doesn't really have a setting as it changes from era to era. The ideas behind the story are comedy (that's another thing to think of -- what genres you want to fill) and adventure. The roleplay has a plot -- a loose plot but a plot nonetheless. Seven people are trying to save the world. It's a generic and vague plot, but everyone knows what there character(s) should be doing -- saving the world (or trying to destroy it).

Overall.
    Overall, I think this is a cool idea. I love the creative freedom as well as the idea of making up your own gods. If you were to tie up some of the loose ends, I think people would be more likely to buy into the idea.

What you've done, though, is correct. You've made a brainstorm thread and you've asked for opinions. Those are both two big things -- and big things you actually did. So you're already ahead of the game. To further better yourself, I might glance over some of the more popular games on here and see what might have drawn people to the idea. Also read your own stuff over - in your head and out loud. Give it a quick overview. Like an elevator speech. If you only had 160ish words to describe this roleplay in, what would you say.

Again, you've got a good start. Now, you just have to decide where you want to go from there.

Well, I hope all of this helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Oh, and good luck!

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Background NPC

Cool

@Scarlightning ~ Glad I could bring a little laughter to your life. The main reason why I know the Tinkerer is because he kept one of my favorite Marvel villains alive. He attached an EMP box to Cyber's chest after he had a heart attack fighting Wolverine.

@Xavirne ~ Thanks for all the input! Your reply was exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. I wanted to ThinkTank this idea and mold it into something palatable for site members. I will defiantly think over what you had to say and write down something less general so everyone can see more direction and story line. But I want the main purpose of the RP to remain relatively similar. In this RP you are a God and you create your world. You are not coming in here with a fully formed planet and race and friendships. This RP is about creating the planet and the race and so on. Sitting before you is nothingness and you have to use what ever powers you give your character to make all that you want.

I will set more specifics when I write out the Character Template and Planet Template. These templates will constrict things ever so slightly but they will force players to show creativity of some sort. Another thing that may help. I can write up some examples and Ideas I had built for this Rp to break down the experience. I will also develop a stronger character motivation to propel the story. Maybe the 5 or so Gods we have get bored of the fact they are the only things in existence and decide to create these worlds as a game. Who ever makes the most successful creatures wins. Another thing that might be plaguing their minds (much like mortal minds) How did we get here?

~Tud
    (I will get around to making an avy and sig soon)

Interesting concept by the way. I've held off posting this mainly because I've been busy with other things...plus I forgot (sorry :P.) As for showing interest this seems like a great idea and I would be willing to be one of the first players to join.