Login to your account

Thread: Dark Fantasy, Choose your own adventure style RP

Dark Fantasy, Choose your own adventure style RP

I saw a thread earlier that suggested this idea also. It talked about making an RP where the creator played the GM in a table top style RP and the players made characters with inventory's and such and they just went at it. Now the thread in question suggested a mystery style RP but I'm more of an adventure type of man myself. With multiple years of D&D DMing under my belt I feel like that's what I know the best. I may not be the best DM out there but I have some experience at least.

When I saw this thread the first thought I had was "Wow, I had that same idea too, it's great." I've actually been sitting on this idea for a long time now and I was almost tempted to post in the thread even though it was outside of my comfortable genre (even though my genre is cliche and done over and over and over :P.) But, when I got to the end of the thread I see a post that said that many of the people originally interested in it had bailed out and that the creator was going on vacation. My goal by starting this thread is to try and revive that "table top/choose your own adventure" style idea for an RP.

To start out I would like to say that this isn't even in beta stage yet. I'd like to get some support and maybe some people who act like they're remotely interested before I begin major work on it. If a few people are interested I would be willing to put in major amounts of time into this (I've created campaigns from scratch before and I can do it again.) It would require an inventory system as mentioned by another person. Keeping an inventory would probably require either editing of a character profile or possibly everybody just keeping a list of stuff they have with me having a central master list so that I know who has what and such. Another idea I had was maybe have an OOC thread specifically for inventories. Also, as a long time D&D player I'm used to having some sort of structure to characters. Even if that just means following a basic six attribute system or something along those lines (probably one similar to the one from D&D and some similarities to fallout but with some changes because I'm picky :P.) But, I could deal with not having an attribute system if all the characters are well detailed and thought out. Classes would be nonexistent but having a paragraph that described the general feel of a characters powers would be very good. (Creativity is key. Just saying "I'm a wizard with magical fire powers" isn't acceptable. Be original. And if you're gonna go with a classic at least detail the character well.)

If anyone has anything to say at all go ahead. I'm open to input. Negative input is better than none in my book.

Attributes idea:

Strength

Intelligence

Endurance

Some sort of agile related skill (agility or dexterity) I'd like to try and come up with something that's not over used but the words that are generally used are so good it's hard not to.

Charisma (or something along those lines)

Perception

Inventory system idea:

It's hard to make a detailed system that encompasses every possibility of equipment and tools and such. I think it would just be better to give lots of detail to the location of important items. My sword is on the left side of my belt. I carry three candles in a pouch attached to the right side of my belt. Things like that.

Ah, the whole class/inventory bit throws me off. Not at all my kind of thing, but the general idea sounds awesome. I have also tried to do something very similar, where I was just the narrator that threw random events and such at the playing characters. They posted only once or twice per week though, and eventually they just stopped altogether, so I closed it. It was good fun though.

I wish you luck on finding interested players.

Uchihageshi!

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha View Post
    Ah, the whole class/inventory bit throws me off. Not at all my kind of thing, but the general idea sounds awesome. I have also tried to do something very similar, where I was just the narrator that threw random events and such at the playing characters. They posted only once or twice per week though, and eventually they just stopped altogether, so I closed it. It was good fun though.

I wish you luck on finding interested players.
    More of an idea really. I find that statistics usually help when people cant find the right words to describe their character in a well enough way. I'm completely ok with the absence of stats if the people participating build their characters well enough.

Oh, I see. So it's more of a way for you to manage the newbies better? That's actually a really good idea. I remember plenty of times that would have come in handy, haha.

Uchihageshi!

It can be. But, I find that it can also help with advanced RPs too. Having a reference to how powerful certain characters are and in what ways can be helpful to even the most advanced role players.

Edit: Plus in role plays that are more about adventuring and combat and less about emotions and that kind of stuff, inventories can be a helpful way to keep track of what equipment people have. You could easily forget about those throwing daggers if you're in the middle of trying to think up your next move in combat.
    Last edited by scarlightning; 10-09-2012 at 04:48 AM.

I think I would like to play. I had a similar rp I played in but it died ...

Quote Originally Posted by Artsydaze View Post
    I think I would like to play. I had a similar rp I played in but it died ...
    Cool! Glad to hear somebody is interested. If you know anybody else who thinks it's a good idea send them here! The more the merrier (for the most part XD.)

Clumsy Apprentice
    Count me in.

I was thinking about the races in the world and the question came up. Shall we have like multiple amazing races (EX: the classic elves and dwarves and most definitely some of our own because making your own race up is awesome.) Or should it be more "humans only" with maybe possibly a couple of variants here and there.

I would like human only better, to be honest...

I feel pretty much the same way. It just doesn't feel as dark when there are elves and stuff involved. Feels too lord of the rings. Although creatures are a must obviously XD.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I created the RP. It's still a WIP and any suggestions are fine, anything from suggesting a creature to rewriting a whole section is welcome.

http://www.wtfrpg.com/forum/showthre...pgtab=overview

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar
    Actually the RP I made didn't die- I just couldn't find enough members after two dropped out. Apparently the 'choose your own adventure' style isn't very popular around here- or maybe I didn't cheerleader enough- or something. But I wish you the best of luck with yours!

This is interesting- I probably won't be joining due to the fact that while I love these style RPs and dark fantasy in general I have enough on my plate to balance as is. Maybe if this is still open when I get things settled and calmed down- I'll join. Just wanted to pop my head in and be a bit of a cheerleader for your idea so maybe it'll succeed where mine did not.

Quote Originally Posted by NomDePlume View Post
    Actually the RP I made didn't die- I just couldn't find enough members after two dropped out. Apparently the 'choose your own adventure' style isn't very popular around here- or maybe I didn't cheerleader enough- or something. But I wish you the best of luck with yours!

This is interesting- I probably won't be joining due to the fact that while I love these style RPs and dark fantasy in general I have enough on my plate to balance as is. Maybe if this is still open when I get things settled and calmed down- I'll join. Just wanted to pop my head in and be a bit of a cheerleader for your idea so maybe it'll succeed where mine did not.
    Fair enough, my point remains. Thank you for your support. I didn't make this to "steal your thunder" or anything I just love the idea so I figured I'd try and get it going again. I wish you luck with whatever you're doing and hope to see you soon. And again, thank you for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by NomDePlume View Post

I wasn't talking about your rp, Nom! It was on another community and is indeed dead. Yours is awaiting players and haven't started yet. I imagine you talked about the With's Feast?

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar
    Oh no no no- I wasn't trying to infer at all that you were stealing my thunder-~! Of course one might state: what thunder? Because the game never got off of the ground. I was just reading and noted that you mentioned a game similiar and I was like: oh hey!

I sent a PM to the other girl that was in my other game to check this one out.

I was just reading some games- because I was considering opening a game soon and I didn't want there to be similiar ideas on the board. I would hate to steal someone else's thunder- as you said. Anyway!

Oh- sorry Artsy- I figured my game looked pretty dead. I'm pestering some folks right now for it- and they said once things calm down at the uni that they would be more than interested. This is a bad time to recruit folks in college. XD Anyway- I'll get out of your guys hair, but I'll send of people that I think might be interested. And if everything goes well I'll join here soon-ish (still need to catch up on posts).

Yes- nonsensical rambling- I'm Queen at that- apologies if I just erupted with it in your thread and didn't manage to get much done. XD

Have a good one!