Login to your account

Thread: [HALCYON] • An Interest Thread

[HALCYON] • An Interest Thread

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE INTEREST/SET-UP THREAD FOR HALCYON, THE REMAKE OF ANATHEMA

GENRE: Fantasy / Adventure / Steampunk
    LEVEL: Intermediate - Advance
    RATING: PG-13

The theme is simple: It's about sky-pirates, bounty-hunters, and an empire on the edge of war. It's about the struggles of differing opinions, the dreams of children, and the desire to protect the things people love. It's about a lot of things—anything you want.

The storyline is, by itself, not really too ground-breaking. There are powerful people, who, predictably, want more power. A queen, corrupted by rule, seeks to expand her borders. A prince, too young to fully understand the workings of a kingdom, must step up to protect his people. And a world—caught between the tension of empires—must decide how to proceed. The world is at a dangerous point and anything can tip it into chaos.

Of course, something does—something always does.

That should have looked familiar as it came straight from my collective storage. In any case, the story will stay true to the general concepts of adventure, saving the world, and packaged in beautiful East-Asian (namely Chinese) mythology. There will be sky-pirates, bounty-hunters, monsters on the prowl, warring nations, and everything that is typical of a story where magic and insanity are bound to happen.

But, to be concise and clear, allow me to sum up the general gist of the idea.

A motley crew of twelve individuals (each corresponding with one of the twelve animals from the Eastern Zodiac) have been brought together (at the demands of a young prince) to make a dangerous and, likely, impossible journey.

The twelve adventurers must use all their skills and wits and charms to survive this harrowing experience. They will cross mountains, venture through forests, navigate the deserts, and endure all of nature's worst fits. Together, they will uncover the the shrines of the twelve spirits, fight off evil-doers, and save a kingdom from certain enslavement.

Pretty straight-forward, right?

In terms of setting: Imagine/Envision the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender. That is, more or less, the environment I intend to put the game in, but with some twists and additions. Oh, and steampunk aesthetics.

Oh, and before I forget, this role-play isn't meant to be taken too seriously. I'd like a dash of humor and typical shounen-esque qualities tossed in, alright? (:

First, this is a fast-paced, short-post oriented role-play. What does this mean? This means that posts should not, on average, be more than 500 words (ideally, posts should be around 300-400 words) and should not take two (or more) weeks to make one post. If you need an example of what I expect, this is what I'm looking for. The example post (which was an introductory post) contains 326 words.

Having said that, I won't be a stickler with word count IF posting rates stay relatively high and regular. For this role-play, I do expect posts every few days, but, at the very least, once a week. Ideally, posts should be made every two to three days if not (on a particularly excellent day) two to three times a day. Of course, I'm not that hopelessly optimistic and I will settle for once a week—minimum.

Second, and perhaps more important than post lengths and rates, the role-play will begin once six character roles have been taken! Players can (and are encouraged) to double up if they like and their second character will also count as one of the six roles! There will be a total of twelve roles, each role will come with a small character shell detailing key characteristics.

NOTE: The cast size (players) will be capped at 6 people (at most). So, if you want in (and you KNOW you'll be dedicate), you should definitely drop me a line so I can update you (personally) when the RP is set-up and ready to go.

THE DRAGON (22-28)

TRAITS: CONFIDENT / AUTHORITATIVE / PREJUDICED / NARCISSISTIC
    CLASS: NOBILITY / ARISTOCRACY
    FLAME: FIRE (INTERMEDIATE)
    NATION: HUO

The above is an example of what shells will look like. Genders are NOT predetermined. Interested parties should apply (the roles will operate closely to a first-come first-serve basis), but roles are not guaranteed. I do not make reservations, but I reserve the right to make allowances as I see fit.

Questions? Concerns? Anything? Let me know.

Last edited by joonsexual; 10-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Release date.

Expected Release Date: 19 OCTOBER 2012.
    Players committed to the game: 3/6.

As a general notice, the game will be somewhat information-heavy. All players are encouraged to review the written material of the world (Fu Shang) and to ask questions.

Profiles will be judged on three major premises:

1. Coherency
    2. Adherence to the preconceived world
    3. Adherence to the character shell.

If all things check out, then your profile will be given the green light. If something isn't "working," we can discuss the matter.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.