Login to your account

Thread: Dresden Files RPG

Background NPC

Dresden Files RPG

I dunno if anyone here is familiar with the Dresden Files series of books, but it has come to my attention recently that there is a tabletop role-playing game based on them.

For those of you who aren't familiar, the series follows Harry Dresden, a modern-day wizard who hires himself out as a private investigator, and does supernatural consulting work for the Chicago Police Department. I'm only on book 2 myself, but so far he's encountered faeries, demons, vampires, mobsters, reporters, skeptics, werewolves, and other wizards.

The game takes place in the same fictional world, though not necessarily following in Dresden's footsteps. It allows you to pick what city you want to play in, and to create elements of that city that you think would be fun or interesting to play with (such as locations and unique NPCs). It's a world where the supernatural world is on the up-and-up, whether most folks realize it or not. The world of magic and sorcery never left us, we just turned our backs on it in favor of science. And now, the things that go bump in the night are making themselves known again.

The system itself is far less number-crunchy than most other tabletop RPGs and instead favors abstract storytelling. Your characters have different Aspects, short statements that are meant to help summarize who that character is on a fundamental level. With the use of Fate points, characters can invoke their aspects for bonuses on whatever tasks they're trying to perform, or to make declarations that may slightly alter the scene being played out. Alternatively, the GM may hand out Fate points in situations where a player's aspect may actually cause a complication for the players.

I'd be starting off a low-level game, just to get people used to the system and how it works. It can be hard to wrap your head around sometimes, but it's easy once it sinks in. Entry-level characters may include minor spellcasters, shapeshifters, or psychics, or perhaps even a pure mortal (who has no supernatural abilities, but has access to more Fate points).

Anyone interested in giving this a try?

I haven't encountered this type of RPG before, but I may be interested in trying it (providing it is as easy to catch onto as you promise).

Background NPC
    It's relatively easy to catch onto. Like I said, it's a lot less number-crunchy than most other tabletop roleplaying games out there, like Dungeons & Dragons and the like. I've never been very good at math, so that part alone appeals to me. lol

The main thing to keep in mind is that each character has 7 aspects which describe the character on a fundamental level. They, in effect, describe who your character is, and can be invoked to make things easier on you, or compelled by the GM to create in-game complications.

Characters can also purchase skills, stunts, and supernatural powers, which describe what the character can do in-game. This is where the numbers come into play, albeit in a very simplistic way.

I'd be running a low-powered game, which limits character options a bit, but also makes it easier for new players to learn the system. If you're interested in playing, let me know, and I'll send some basic character creation info your way.

I actually started watching the Dresden Files not too long ago (maybe last week?) and I rather like the setting/world. The series, on the other hand, leaves some things to be desired, lol...

But, hmm, I think I would be interested in trying something like this out. (:

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Background NPC
    If you're referring to the TV show, it leaves a lot to be desired. I tried to watch it after I read Storm Front, the first book in the series. Barely got through it. The character names are about the only real similarity between the books and the TV show. XD