Login to your account

Thread: More Variety!

Humble Farmer With a Sword Maestra de Musica's Avatar

More Variety!

I'm not starting A roleplay... welll I guess kind of a trend.
    Why is it that most RP's on WTFRPG somewhat similar?
    There are a lot of common themes in RPS here...
    Variety?
    Even my own RP's do not have them
    The theme is always *Light vs Darkness*
    I don't know if it's because no one is interested in anything else
    because if it it then that is a whole different story.
    Maybe I'm wrong and ignorant but then again,
    I'm just wondering.
    Last edited by Maestra de Musica; 09-16-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    Olé!

I think that the forum has a lot of "save the world" from evil kind of ideas, but having a lot of something isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Plus, "good vs bad is a really broad theme that exists in almost all games and stories.

But having said that, I think there's a fair number of games available that AREN'T centered around the concept of good/evil.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

I think our themes also reflect the market trends. Did you notice a spike in vampire love stories when Twilight came out? What about a spike in wizards with Harry Potter? Or even a shift to pirate roleplays when Captain Jack Sparrow took over the theaters? What about stories with men in black suits that fight aliens when MIB3 came out? Phases come and go. What's hot today might not be tomorrow. Good vs Evil/Light vs Dark is usually a "safe" theme as it can never really... come out of style. There's almost always good vs evil in some sense in a story. Even if it's not the main plot of the story, it's usually hidden somewhere within the plot. The key is variety comes with how that world-saving (or destroying) process. It's how you save/destroy the world that matters. Some stories have mechas others have divine weapons while others use magical powers or have creatures fight for them. The possibilities are pretty much endless when it comes to saving the world, in my opinion.

Interest also as a ton to do with it. I'm not about to make a mental asylum based roleplay because I don't personally like that theme. I tend to prefer my world-saving stories so I will usually keep that as a commonality in all the stories I create.

If there is a niche you wish you fill, I say toss out an idea and see if people jump on the boat with you. I say this because I would hate to see you slave away over an idea and story to see that no one has an interest. I've done it time and time again.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Humble Farmer With a Sword Maestra de Musica's Avatar
    :'D Thank you! I think gathering other's attention was what I didn't understand.
    Olé!

The community is still, despite its growing active user base, small. It's smaller than most other boards and, because of its size, attracting attention/keeping players is rather tough.

So, for most games, it's tough to get started. And, for the few that do start, it's harder to keep it running (a fact on nearly all boards. Dedication has always been shaky, at best). I think, if you want to start a game, but aren't sure of the reception, you should post in the brainstorming/interest thread. See if anyone else is interested in what you have in mind and, from there, take the next step, etc, etc, etc.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

I try to add some different ideas every now and then but my main problem is I go for stuff thay plays out well in my head but in reality doesnt seem to be catchy enough.

I got like...3 rps going, one died in the prologue and the other 2 need me to get my butt into gear and start posting and gathering more intresy

Everyone has different tastes,.take me for example: I like comedy and romance and action but I try to avoid mashing them together

And from what I know, Xav will go for anything Warriors Orochi :P

I say put all our brains in a jar...not my jar...and brainstorm until we figure out a good Rp for everyone
    Friendly Neighbourhood Gunsligner
    'Tag...you're it...*shoots*'

Nero, you know me so well! <3

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Legendary Adventurer NomDePlume's Avatar
    I've actually made a few 'different' RPs on here- the sad thing is they don't get much interest. Light vs. Dark is usually the easiest angle someone can take in forming an RP that people will be interested in.

That being said there are always multiple ways to skew it- I like doing that. The light isn't so light and the dark isn't so dark- etc etc. Personally I'm more of a mystery lady myself- with a good dose of discovery. It is just RPs like that don't garner any attention really because they are hard to insert yourself into due to the nature of them- many just make good 1x1s or stories within themselves. I guess group RPs are just easier to make when there is a common goal for all the characters to work towards ala Light vs. Dark. Or at least that is the RPs that last the longest on here (RIP Twilit Bounds :c ). Anyway I'm sure with an influx of new users that variety will pick up as people will create things that they aren't worried about people joining. So cheers to that!