Login to your account

Thread: The Soup Fairy

The Soup Fairy

OOC Forward for the curious bystanders
    My S.O., Miso, wants to learn how to roleplay. This is a game we'll be working on when we have time and interest for it and since we'll usually be across the room for each other, we're not going to have an OOC thread for it. We'll talk or leave notes in ((parentheses)) if necessary.

Neither of us promises it'll be the best game ever, but hopefully Miso will enjoy it.

Premise
    A college student goes to a restaurant and gets a surprising addition to his meal.

As seems obvious now, it will have a very anime feeling to it. Miso likes anime.
    Last edited by Spring-heeled Jack; 06-18-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

Jack was a regular at The Fuji, a local Japanese-fusion restaurant located about two blocks from his off-campus apartment. He only went on the slow days, something he learned meant the staff was both more cheerful and less annoying. They hovered on the busy days and Jack hated hovering. Jack also hated people, so having fewer of them around was more pleasant for him.

He ordered a miso soup because it was a little chilly out that evening. Jack tried to eat according to the weather. He thought it was more logical that way and he was sure it was the reason his body had a remarkable constitution.

When the waitress brought him his large clay bowl, he was gratified to see it steaming. The warm food was always warmer on slow days. Another reason he preferred it. She sat it down, smiled, asked if he needed anything else, and when he said he didn't want anything, she left to rejoin the other staff in the kitchen. He heard them laughing together, only slightly muffled by the closed doors and the faint clatter of cooking.

The only people in the restaurant besides himself were an older Japanese couple, smiling across the table at each other and squinting happily at their hot plate as they cut their okonomiyaki into smaller pieces for each other. They were on the opposite side of the restaurant, so even them making small talk to each other didn't bother him.

Jack took up the thick, wide-bottomed spoon, dipped it into the soup and fished out a rather large, surprisingly whole mushroom.

Or that's what he thought it was until he saw little legs wiggling from the cap of it. Stunned, Jack set his laden spoon down on the little plate beside his bowl and stared at the "mushroom".
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

"waii waii~~" she said, her little legs flailing and her ams flailing.

She got put down on the plate and sat up, mewing a little to herself as she put her hands to her face and rubbed under her eyes. She looked over at Jack.

"Master~ <33" she said, reaching for him. n_________n! <3 She wanted a hug.

((A picture of what she looks like!

It's by Shadow Lady!))
    ~ No soup for you! ~

((Notes for Miso:
    * Emoticons are fine for forum posts, but unless you're doing chat-style games, should be used less often.
    * It's fine to include images, as long as your partner is okay with it. But try to work them into the post more naturally.
    * Watch your typos. Turn on your spellcheck on your browser and it'll catch most of them.
    * Stop tugging my ear while I'm typing, or I won't leave you tips or describe your character for you. Goose. ;p ))

The "mushroom" seemed to be a girl about as tall as a salt shaker. She looked about sixteen years old, round faced with a cute button nose, wide, smiling red mouth, peachy skin, and her noodle-blonde hair in two pigtails that sprang from her head like exclamation points. As far as clothes, she seemed to be wearing a mushroom upside down as a dress, little squares of tofu as hair ties, and a bit of leafy vegetable stuck to her head. She even wore green slippers with pieces of tofu on them.

Jack realized that he was clearly stressing too much about finals. Being something of a practical person, he decided the best thing to do was ignore the hallucination and eat his soup. He nudged the plate away from his bowl, took the soup spoon again, swirled it in the broth to make sure no other little people were in it and scooped up a spoonful of dinner.
    Henry Mayhew

((Notes for JACK:
    * I like emoticons. :PPPPPPPPP
    * I like the picture. :PPPPPPP
    * It is on, I just heard my game making noises at me adn didn't look. :P
    * If your ears weren't so big I could watch you typing without moving them. :P
    * I'm not a goose. :P ))

"HEY!!!" she shouted, stamping her foot. >:| "I'm talking to you!"

She was annoyed at being ignored. That's not what was supposed to happen. She thought about what was supposed to happen. He was supposed to go, "Uuaahhhh??? A fairy! A soup fairy???" and she was supposed to go, "Yes, I am a soup fairy! My name is Miso! And you are my Master!" <3

But that wasn't what hapepned. It made her mad.

When he didn't answer her, she ran over and kicked his elbow. "Pay attention to me!~"
    ~ No soup for you! ~

((When you wake up/get back from work and see this, just keep in mind that kicking someone is a "forced action" and most people don't like it. Next time type something like, "she ran over and kicked at his elbow" because it gives me the option of it missing. It depends on the player, though. Some of them will run with it and others really hate it. With you I'd run with it because it doesn't permanently damage my character. ))

"Ow," he said, dropping his spoon into the bowl before he was able to sip at the broth. He glared down at the little mushroom-girl and then pointedly picked up his spoon again, growling under his breath. "I don't have to pay attention to a hallucination. It's not healthy to give your mind free reign like that."

Using his elbow, he tries to nudge her back towards the plate before he took a sip of his soup. He wasn't sure that figments of the imagination were supposed to be able to do things to you and make them felt - or that he'd be able to feel hallucinations against his elbow. But maybe he was imagining the mushroom-girl was the size of a salt shaker because what he was moving around was the salt shaker.
    Henry Mayhew

(( I got another picture from Shadow Lady! I PMed it to you! <333
    I hope you didn't sleep all day. I'll jump on you if you did. ;p
    And okay, I understand. ppp I forgot.))

"I'm not a hallucination!! I'm a soup fairy!" and then she yelled angrily when he shoved her away with his elbow, falling over. "waiiii!!!" She rolled around and tried to get to her feet, black eyes filling with angry tears. he is so mean!

"Maybe I won't be your soup fairy anymore if you're going to be mean!!! How would you like that? Huh mister?" She huddled on the table pouting and glared over her shoulder at him.
    ~ No soup for you! ~

"I think that'd work out just great for me, thanks," Jack said in clipped tones, his color rising with irritation. He was trying to enjoy his dinner and the peace and quiet that only a public place that was free of people could bring. Instead, his mind was firing on all the wrong cylinders.
    Henry Mayhew

The Miso Fairy started crying. She was quiet at first sniffling and tearing up, but when Jack didn't look at her after awhile she started balling and getting louder and louder. She knew he'd have to say something if she cried.
    ~ No soup for you! ~

((Bawling, goose. And you can't get huffy because you told me to correct you. ))

So much for peace and quiet.

Jack did his best to ignore it, though, manfully eating his soup even though the wailing made him break out into a sweat. He couldn't stand crying. It became obvious that something was creating noise that wasn't inside his own head. The older Japanese couple started looking around and one of the waiters stuck his head out of the kitchen.

Could it be him making that god-awful racket? Today was the worst day of his life. They'd probably throw him in a padded cell... unless...

"Look. If you shut up and stop crying, we can talk about this after I finish eating." He said this out of the corner of his mouth so people wouldn't think he was talking to himself.
    Henry Mayhew