Login to your account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC : Castle Märchen - Fairytales for Adults

OOC : Castle Märchen - Fairytales for Adults

General OOC thread. Feel free to ask questions or talk with each other.
    Last edited by Spring-heeled Jack; 06-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Noting that I've more or less finished writing everything up.

I still have to come up with shop items and prices. There are probably a few things I could do to my characters' profiles.

I stayed up far later working on this than I intended to, so I'll probably sleep late. I'll answer questions when I log in tomorrow.

I hope people find themselves interested in the game.
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

Just noting that I'm slowly working on adding stock to the shops. Added several potions to the witch's potion shop.

Edited some of my bios and the information for typos. That's about it.
    This here is Satan, - we might say the devil, but that ain't right, and gennelfolks don't like such words. He is now commonly called 'Spring-heeled Jack;' or the 'Rossian Bear,' - that's since the war.
    Henry Mayhew

All right.

I had a PM conversation with Maneki Neko and at the end of it I decided to switch my game from "Adult" to "General" just to open myself up to more players. As she pointed out, I wasn't really gunning for a truly dark and twisted world and I was already going to have sex scenes take place out of the game, so it made sense.

I also asked her for feedback on my write-up. Because I asked her to be honest, she said that some of the areas of rules were intimidating, so I've edited them to hopefully be more friendly. I tend to have a caustic style of writing and don't always come off as friendly as I mean to.

If anyone has questions or anything about the game or a rule, I won't bite. I'd love to play the game with people.
    Henry Mayhew

Just wanted to poke my head in and say Congrats on becoming a featured game this week!
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Thank you very much, Schizophrenic. <s>

Not something I expected, but I am glad I put the hours in (even if some of those hours were practices in destruction and patience).

I've got a few PMs the last few days about people interested in playing, so we should be getting started sometime this week.
    Henry Mayhew

Haha. I expected it for you. But there's a reason for that. :P (Or several reasons, really.) I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a huge fan of fairy tales, so I was excited to see a game using them. I may have to sneak some time in to play, but like I've told you before, I'm looking at August/September at the earliest. Until then, I'll be excited to watch the game from the sidelines.
    Maneki Neko
    "To respect the (shark)cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
    - Erasmus Darwin

I finally got Myrelle's profile polished up and a first post made! Yay! And Maneki, you should totally sneak some time in and play a little before then. :3

Maybe I will. <_< >_>

I'll have to think about it tonight. :3
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

I'll look forward to seeing what you think of, Maneki Neko. <s>

Intriguing first post, Nixie Styx. It'll take me a few minutes to decide how best to reply (or rather, with which character to reply).
    Henry Mayhew

>:P

I hate caving. ::laughs:: But I really do love fairy tales.... >B
    Maneki Neko
    - Erasmus Darwin

Nixie Styx - Sorry it took me so long to respond. I (oddly enough) hadn't thought about what the entrance to the castle would look like beyond the long land bridge and it taking you walking through the town to get to the actual "castle" portion of the castle grounds.

I did some digging into photographs of Mont St. Michel to see what it looked like and I think these are the actual entrance:

A much larger picture here. It would be too big to embed. http://i56.tinypic.com/rr1av9.jpg

Though I imagine the land bridge to have cobblestones that simply aren't washed away when the water rises over it. And, of course, a wooden door.

Oh - and it would make sense for there to be stairs too (just out of sight of the picture), so there's nothing about your post you should edit, I just wanted to share the photos I found.
    Last edited by Spring-heeled Jack; 06-22-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Henry Mayhew

No worries; I've been off and on all night. And I think I had a totally different picture in my head of what was going on, so the actual pictures help a lot. :} Yay visuals! I believe I was thinking that the land the castle was on was larger and included some wooded area, but now that I'm thinking about it again, I suppose that doesn't make much sense considering where the castle itself is supposed to be located. But it seems to have worked out anyway!

Nothing to worry about - I'm having a bit of trouble resolving the issue of, "I want Mont St. Michel for the island" with "I want beaches for mermaids and people to wash up on" and "an enchanted forest sounds about right" and "oh, and we need mountains for dwarves, trolls, and cave explorations..."

So if it's all jumbled together in my own head, I couldn't imagine anyone else would be able to sort it out. <laughs>

Miso gave me the password to her photobucket account, so I'm going about uploading photos I found that made me say, "Yeah, that inspires me." Though I'm not really interested in dictating things too much beyond what "sounds reasonable or likely". I don't want people to feel like they can't contribute their own details by being too specific and looking up something like actual floor plans and expecting people to be familiar with them. <laughs>

Organizing it now:
    http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...tle%20Marchen/

I've become somewhat obsessed, I think, with the town and the gate from the town to the castle. There's something about Mont St. Michel that draws me, and the town and gate seem to be a major part of it.
    Henry Mayhew

Ooh, the detail pictures really put it in perspective. It IS a beautiful place, and I can certainly see where the inspiration comes from. Have you been there? If I'd been doing good homework, I would have looked into the details myself, but I suppose I was assuming it was more of a "this is the feel of the castle" than a "this is the foundation of the castle" sort of thing. Shame on me. :} So the castle itself is inside a larger walled area that includes the town, or at least part of it, yes? Is there more town outside the wall too?

Humble Farmer With a Sword Fallen Saint's Avatar
    Jack I hope it's ok that I started my character a month in. It just seemed the easiest way to make my opening the best I could.
    A little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

Alright, Been a little busy. I'm planning on reading the rest of your overview and than creating a character. Sorry for the delay of my character.

Also where do you guys get your pictures for your characters?

Nixie Styx - I haven't been to Mont St. Michel, but one day I hope to go. Perhaps a few summers from now. Funds are being diverted elsewhere for the foreseeable future. Perhaps it would give me time to learn enough French to get by. <laugh>

I'd imagine Mont St-Michel is a good 90% accurate as for what it would generally look like. Inside of the actual castle is more like the palaces I linked to or the images I used for the locations in the "Game World" area, so I figure with a possibly infinite number of rooms, people can describe those however they like. ie: Not "the" ballroom so much as "one of" the ballrooms. That way it doesn't limit the creativity of others as to how they imagine a fairy castle.

But as for the layout of the island... There's a bit of beach outside of the walls during low tide, but not much else on the actual island that isn't surrounded by the walls that keep the water (and invaders, if it ever came to that) out. From photos, it looks like the road to the castle winds its way around the island's mountain and the town takes up about half of that before you get to the "proper" castle area with the castle gardens, Cathedral, and "palace" area itself.

I figure the set-up should allow people to get "lost" in-character and not as much out of character. Or that's the intention, anyway. ;p

Fallen Saint - It's perfectly fine. It all depends on the character, really. I'd expect that few people playing servants, for example, would want to roleplay out asking for a job. <s> So it won't bother me to have a guest around for a little while to "get their hat straight". Especially if they've kept to themselves for awhile.

Sorry for the delay in response. Miso's going to bed and I've been distracted.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Auzei - Oops. You were posting while I was distracted, I see.

I got mine from Google Images or a few communities on LiveJournal I found from a link Maneki Neko posted in the WTF Multiverse OOC thread. I'll upload some to Miso's photobucket if you want to look through them. I've literally collected hundreds trying to find good portraits for Reine and the Lord. (I'm still not happy with hers, actually.)

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Here you go -

The first gallery has over 300 pictures, mostly illustrations from fairy tales and paintings.
    http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ose/Portraits/

The second gallery has over 500 pictures, mostly game illustrations or animation stills/promotional art.
    http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...e%20Portraits/
    Henry Mayhew

Thanks for the art! I'll see if I find any pictures I like.

No problem. Hope you find one you like.

Apologies if I take awhile to respond to anyone tonight. I'm getting a lot of PMs lately to discuss characters and there's a bit of an explosion elsewhere online. I may be spottily attendant tonight.

I'm considering posting my character prompts in an OOC thread. It's not that I really mind getting original characters, but I've had to work with everyone who's submitted a character so far without discussing their fairy tale theme with me beforehand. I may change it to something like, "You can use one of the prompts found here or PM me first. No other characters will be accepted." That way I'm not feeling like an ogre when I tell players I think would be great here that their character doesn't quite fit yet (or at all). When I look at it from the perspective of a player, it'd be such a let down to spend time writing my bio only to be told it's not at all appropriate for the setting. But I don't want to make this a general fantasy game either just because I hate telling players 'no, not this character, even though it's a great fantasy character'.

Apologies for the rant/whinging. Any thoughts of if an OOC thread of prompts would be useful would be appreciated.
    Henry Mayhew

I certainly think an OOC prompt thread could be helpful -- it lets people who are considering the RP get a good feel for the kinds of things you're going for so they'll know if what they have in mind fits with it before they attempt to start anything on their own anyway.

I'll go ahead and make such a thread since at least one person thinks it might be useful. <chuckle> Thanks, Nixie Styx.

I've been promoting the game pretty heavily on a few Livejournal communities. 7am isn't the best time to do this and I probably should have thought about that before deciding to do it, but I'd just woken up and didn't think of it. I mention this because we may get a few new people this way and it's possible that someone in the game may want to promote the game in Livejournal too, but they should be careful which communities they post to since some only allow a post once a month or ever...

I have only a short time left before I head off to work. As usual, I'll probably be taking a nap and eating dinner before logging on again. If either of the ladies in the foyer wishes to move on somewhere else, don't feel you need to wait for Lady Reine. She can either wander off or be distracted by her purchases and not follow immediately.
    Henry Mayhew

Edited the Overview section of the game. Nothing that effects current players, just new players. Hopefully it will lead to less frustration in the character creation process.

We have another new player - check out her bio (or any new bios you've missed).
    Henry Mayhew

Will be off and on throughout the night - mostly 'off' as I'm going to try to do more advertising in Livejournal.

I'll reply to posts before I sleep, though.
    Henry Mayhew

Sorry for not logging back in that night, in spite of my best intentions. We had unexpected houseguests arrive on our doorstep not long after I posted that. I'll probably be busy with them for the next day or so. <sigh>

I will post now, though.
    Henry Mayhew

And I'll add my apologies for my disappearance the past few days! I had an interesting weekend... ER visits included. Heh. All is well, though, and I'll be getting back up to speed with things here tonight and tomorrow, I hope.

I'm glad to hear all is well and I'm sorry to hear things were a bit more interesting than anyone would really like. (Unless it was a birth, in which case I assume it was a happy occasion that came unexpectedly.)

Take your time - I understand real life's visitations all too well. <s>

Other than advertising our game in various LiveJournal communities (I'm done for a few days, at least. I want my listings to have time to bear fruit.) I've also found a good site to determine what the general weather might be like on the island:
    http://www.holiday-weather.com/mont_...-forecast.html

I had been using a site to determine what weather was like at Neuschwanstein Castle, but belatedly realized that Mont St-Michel would (obviously) be the most logical weather to use, as the castle isn't directly in the mountains, but on the sea. Judging from the widget, my weather wasn't entirely off, but that would be the more accurate one.

No one has to use it, of course, but I linked it to the Overview page and Lord M's character journal first post in case someone wanted to dress for the weather.
    Henry Mayhew

Humble Farmer With a Sword Fallen Saint's Avatar
    Jack is there someplace to eat? I'm not really sure what to say to Nixie's post.
    A little madness now and then is relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Saint View Post
    Jack is there someplace to eat? I'm not really sure what to say to Nixie's post.
    HAHA. Sorry. xD I was just trying to come up with something natural for her to ask to continue the conversation.

Ah, yes. Hmm.

Dinner is probably brought to individuals in their rooms, though there is probably a restaurant or two of some type in the town. Formal dinners/banquets are held every so often.

I could set up anything you guys would enjoy, just let me know if you'd like me to play an NPC wait staff. If you'd like to play out a dinner party of some sort, Leila could have already been informed of one that would come the next time a new guest arrived?

A bit distracted by my guests this evening (uninvited guests are generally the sort you need to babysit ) but hopefully will be able to post once they start drinking and become distracted by games.
    Henry Mayhew