Login to your account

Thread: Dead Earth

Dead Earth

So... I am aware I really make my explanations unnecessarily long, so I'll try to keep this one really... Small. > <"))

More than five decades passed since the accident which sent mankind dangling at the bottom of the food chain, hanging onto the thread they called their lives. A virus, with origins unknown even to this day, ravaged the planet at the time of the wipe-out. Some say it was in the vegetation that grew around the farms that raised the cattle we used as food. Some suspect that this was the doing of an accidental release of laboratory experiments regarding warfare. The answer was never clear. Though one thing was evident; these creatures were almost indestructible.

Surviving Civilizations:

As far as survivors, there are three major cities that are known to have absolute protection. What we call the Citadels, used to be the major cities of New York, Miami and DC. Now, these cities are sanctuaries embraced by mile tall concrete and steel, meters thick walls that kept back and kept in anyone and anything.

People within the walls are the survivors, living in houses that are built atop a large metal plate that spans from wall to wall, just to ensure that none of infected dirt or soil get into the vegetation grown in the Citadels. The houses, of course, are also built with thick metal that is bolted shut, window to window to window, every night, in case the creatures of dark manage to force themselves past the walls. There are curfews set, directly when the sun sets, every adult is to gather their children and head back inside for lock down. Though, during the day, it is growing crops and tending to the animals, though, with the large number of people giving the effort to grow food, there are days where they can relax and enjoy the sun which never again gave life outside of the walls.

But, besides that, the citadel's residents dread the coming of Harvest. And the crops are not all that are taken from the fields. The city must produce at least three children, or more if they desired, so that the scientists, which reside in the heart of the citadel, in the tower that loomed over every metal house, can take one child every five years from each of the families' houses so that they may train.

These children are given drugs to enhance the durability of their muscles and the strength of the organs on their body while at the same time, having the immune system weakened so that their bodies would accept the pain and power that was to come. You see, humans have long since struggled through starvation and escaping death many times. And a group, a specific group, had chosen to eat infected flesh... And with it they were given the ability to heal and reform, and morph at will. This became a practice, having the trainees eat the flesh once the existing slayers (what the scientists continue to call them) had either died from a mission or walked into the sunlight.

Slayers:
    These half-human, half-Carnid (also a name given to the monsters from the scientists) slayers are removed from home, only to be injected by countless needles, poisoning their bodies with drugs that would modify their bodily structure enough to allow pieces of the very monsters they despise into their own bodies. Though, some refused fiercely, the scientists proceed with their modifications nevertheless. But all learn their duties as slayers in time.

Since they've weaken the immune system of their bodies, upon eating infected flesh, their bodies accept the changes much more easily, with less pain than those that are given the flesh without weakening the body's defenses. And since the flesh given is living, it bonds with the existing human bodies and make it their own. And due to the change, muscle and organs are slightly damaged, which was the reason behind the strengthening of these two features. Though, the damage is almost instantly repaired after the agonizing change finished the final modification within the body.

And though it may seem a bit cliche, the slayers battle also the darkest desires of the Carnid within their bodies. Their instability some times results in them killing their own fellow slayers or other scientists. And because of this, they are in constant watch, monitoring is mandatory and daily and monthly injections just to ensure the body's system can keep up with Carnid's added features. Every morning, after they are dispatched to fight endless waves of Carnid to the crack of dawn, they are confined in the small space that were their rooms. Where they sleep as if the day was night.

Like Carnid, they die if caught in the sunlight. But VERY unlike Carnid, they do not burst into flames and fall apart like vampires. Since the Carnid flesh within their bodies reacts so unbelievably strong to UV rays, it begins to die from the inside of the host's body. And since the flesh is like a web, spread around and inside the organs, which include brain and heart (making their five senses as sharp as Carnid and allow them regeneration and instant healing), the organs begin to shut down from the lack of support. And the hosts dies a slow, painful death.

Carnid:

These creatures called Carnid, are flesh consuming beings that grow after devouring and making their own the flesh of their prey. They are formless creatures, mostly ending up as blobs of flesh that walk upon the dry ground of a plantless wasteland. They are nocturnal, and for whatever reason, their bodies cannot stand sun, resulting in the burning of their flesh, killing them instantly. And though, they are very common around the world, they do not desire each others flesh, only the existing humans'. They live in hives, with a queen, ironically. Some humans still are trying to find out the reason behind this heirarchy, some find it unnecessary to do so. But for whatever reason, their hives are built in record time, some being built within only days and the network of tunneling under the mountain of dirt they are able to gather, so maze-like that it was easy for the slayers that were sent to kill their "queen" to get lost as they hide within the center. For such a flawed and brainless creature to make such a defense mystified the humans.

(All i have. Feel free to suggest ideas if you think there should be another added.)
    Crystalline tears will fall again...

it's like a zombie apocalypse only there are vampire like people that are awsome and not shiny!
    Friendly Neighbourhood Gunsligner
    'Tag...you're it...*shoots*'

Lmao. Not entirely vampiric... They're half monster with the ability to kill invinsible creatures.
    Crystalline tears will fall again...

I like it. Now, we get the choices to begin in any of the 3 cities, right? And there was something else but that slipped my mind.

As due to business... I could only skim this through. But seems like a solid idea. Keep me in the loop. I will be back later and throw up some ideas but so far intrested. Carnid, Original race or something you have heard/seen before? (Could google, but would rather just hear from you XD)

Checkmate.

Would you stop pointing it out every time?