Login to your account

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OOC : Ready for improvement?

I don't think the issue is to discontinue the one/one method.

Rather, the suggestion is to offer a group-setting as well—in tandem with the availability of one/one.

Personally, I like the option of working individually with someone. But I also understand that the functionality of a one/one is drastically different from the dynamics/mechanics of a group role-play. Some ideas can be extrapolated to both, but, at the end of the day, what someone does in a one/one is radically different from what someone would do in a group.

I think, in a practice group-role-play, it can still maintain a one-to-one teaching instruction. Just because the RP's paradigm has shifted to incorporate more than the instructor and the student doesn't automatically mean that a student will "become a face in the crowd." Nothing is preventing the teacher from offering commentary/critiques to the students they are responsible for.

And if the argument is that it divides focus... No matter the method, the teacher's attention will ALWAYS be divided. There are, at the moment, only five available mentors and not everyone is willing to handle the same aspects of role-playing (e.g. Strude wants to focus on game mechanics, etc). So, the point is, eventually, teachers will have to take on more than one student at a time.

Or maybe I've misconstrued the argument and misunderstood what is actually being said. :/

If I've misunderstood, then this is my proposal:

We set up a practice group role-play (every group role-play will consist of roughly 3-4 students and their respective teachers). They RP a brief scenario (one agreed upon by a teacher or one provided by Misaru) together as a collective whole and, along the way, the teachers will make comments/points to their individual students.

The reason I think offering a chance to let the students practice group is because group RP will zero in on shit like: meta-gaming (a prevalent problem that NEEDS to be addressed), individuality (seeing as there is only control of ONE character, it's less free-form than a one/one), and environment (working within an established setting—created by the GM in charge).

These things, while they exist in a one/one, aren't highlighted as well or as thoroughly as a group RP. There's various other points, but, at the moment, I'm suffering from BFF-withdrawal. STRUDE. WHY. WOULD. YOU. SHOW. ME. THAT. COMIC?!?!?!?!?!?!!

I just reread the whole thing and I'm dying. DYIIIIIINNNNGGGGkldhskjhsfjjdffksdhgd.

okay. hi guys.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Oh I wasn't saying a group is bad, I just didn't want one on ones to be left out.

Everything your saying Jing, makes perfect sense and I pretty much agree with all of it.

And yeah, I fully expected to have more than one student. I don't mind that at all, I just wanted to make sure that if they wanted to one on one they could do that. The logical next step, I suppose, would be for (pending Misaru's approval) teachers to shine up their resumes and put a few samples up and to go from there.
    Looking for Rps! Message me!

To be honest... even if the group idea is unfeasible (because of coordination, etc), I think the teaching method the teachers decide to use or offer should be left to their individual discretion.

I mean, if there's only one teacher teaching select students, there's nothing inherently preventing the teacher from establishing a group role-play or a one/one. In fact, the teacher can even have the students practice writing (prompt-based teaching), if they truly wanted to.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
    what is essential is invisible to the eye.

TUMBLR.

Right oh, to voice something quickly, we DO need a group feel. Thing is, as Strude often says, it is about mechanics. A feel for making games work. For devloping how to act in a game, what to add that will make the game role, and what will make your posts more useful to other roleplayers. One on Ones will be good for general examples of work and testing people in situaltions but I can see what Strude means. Getting them in a group so that they are not breaking character or god moding. In short, getting them used to being in the group setting.

Also. Jing. In tandum. Yes. Good. Cookie.
    Last edited by Misaru; 06-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.

I know game mechanics are important, all I'm saying is that there are other skills that are important too. And by not allowing one on one training (Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what you mean isn't it?) you are making it much more difficult to teach other skills. Like how to keep rps interesting, and how to come up with your own ideas rather than being led by a GM. It helps develop independence in writers. one on ones are good for so much more than just "general examples". Not everyone wants to only be in a group setting, and I don't think its fair to completely eliminate one on ones as a useful teaching method.

I like Jings suggestion about the teaching method being up to the teachers. Having a group training thread is fine, I just think its important to allow one on one teaching too if thats what the students want.

Just to make sure I understand, would each teacher have two locations - one for one x one training and one for a group setting?

Either way, I don't care what happens so long as it's what the students want.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

Quote Originally Posted by Xavirne View Post

Either way, I don't care what happens so long as it's what the students want.
    ^ This right here. Agreed.

Are we safe to start posting? Or do you want us to hold off until you've made the changes?

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369