As a general rule, I personally almost never play characters from existing worlds, though I will happily play in those worlds. That is to say, I will never play and good or bad guys from the DC or Marvel universe but I will make my own characters who fit into that world. I do this for several reasons, first being that if I TRULY love a character, I feel I would not be doing him or her justice in my own attempt to portray that character. Also I think people use existing characters as a sort of crutch, depending on the traits of that person rather than pushing their own mind and skills. Most of all though, I want the freedom for my character to grow in the ways I like and not be stuck to those preset personality traits.

I used to refuse even to play in existing worlds, opting instead to say make my own generic school for mutants and the like. I've since changed my opinion on that and have even played a very few existing characters, including the Doctor from Doctor Who and the grave robber from Repo! the genetic Opera, but these are few and far between. Though i have no problem taking attributes from other characters, bits and pieces of abilities or personality traits, I simply do not agree with playing that which is not my own.

I know most people differ in their opinions from me on this matter and I would love to hear your opinions and even have a bit of, key word FRIENDLY debate ;p. I doubt any one will change my mind but who knows, some one talked me into playing the Doctor after all. So what are every one else's thoughts? And on a side note, do you have feelings on people who always play the 'daughter of harry potter' or the 'forgotten sister of han solo'. Any other role playing crutches you have opinions on? I think I saw some one who was bugged by the whole uke/seme concept.