Login to your account

Thread: Game Admin Commands

Game Admin Commands

There are some commands that it would be really nice for the game admin to have. (In the order I see them as being important.)

1. The ability to go through and delete posts by people who have dropped out of a game (or been removed)
    2. The ability to edit player's posts who are (or were) members of the game they admin.
    3. The ability to delete posts by people still in the game.
    4. The ability to delete whole threads of their game (very handy for "game reboot scenarios).
    5. Place a timer on the game- if X hasn't posted for X days, remove them from the game. (And the ability to turn this off for people going on known leave).
    6. The ability to either show or remove the visibility of who plays what character. (Sometimes anonymity is neat between players especially for those who don't get along.)

I don't believe you edit past posts, but I do know you can play any person and make posts for them. Although, the person being power-played would need to be made aware of the situation and agree to it. Unless it was a narration post as such posts are used to move the story along.

And as cool as it would be to tidy up posts and post orders and locations, I think leaving the deletion process to the admins and mods is a logical choice. Not only does it prevent people from accidentally deleting things, but it also protects against harassment, dislike, and those late night rage fits. At least with the mods removing it, there is no prejudice or 'oh crap, I deleted that post... Omg omg omg... What did I do' moments.

Rather than deleting posts by people in the game, it would be neat to see the posts get grayed out. They are still there that said person can still reflect upon their righting, but the post is no longer an active post in the thread. So if X removed their character Y from roleplay Z, then all of Ys posts would be gray/faded out.

- hangouts -
    Tumblr | Twitch| Insta | Discord: Xavirne#2369

I understand where your requests are coming from Utopia, but I don't necessarily know if they are a good idea- it would make harassment way too easy. Now I'm not saying anyone that GMs on this site would do that, I doubt they would, but that doesn't stop someone from completely screwing a player over if they have an OOC disagreement, or if they have a random bout of rp anger. It just gives the GM too much power. Honestly a lot of them aren't really necessary- players know to ignore the posts of booted characters and as far as entire rp reboots go, its just as easy to make a new full forum altogether, which allows people to still go back and read old posts for recreation (something I participate heavily in, to see how my writing has developed and changed)

I understand that, used by the right people, those powers are very helpful, but the probability of them ending up in the wrong hands is to high. Not to mention it would scare players from joining if they dont know a GM, as well as it makes the divide between GM and player too large, and many players arent comfortable with differences of power. A good GM should be able to handle bad/disappearing players without just deleting them from existence. Although one more power, and the ONLY power I think that would be helpful is for GM's to be able to move posts to different locations within an rp.

The ability to delete posts would actually be really useful. God knows I have messed up a bunch of times while posting, lol... But I do think the ability to delete posts should be reserved for the posts's writer and the game's GM.

I also really like the last suggestion, it'd be really useful for like... let's say a mystery game or any game with a point to be unveiled at a later point.

Also, this is something very small.. but... I rather prefer that when we make a game it doesn't automatically make an OOC thread and then, when you try to change the title, it doesn't STAY capitalized.... for some reason. that hella bothers me, but i guess it's not a really big deal, lol.

Absolutely...just Game GM and the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by jingRAWR View Post
    The ability to delete posts would actually be really useful. God knows I have messed up a bunch of times while posting, lol... But I do think the ability to delete posts should be reserved for the posts's writer and the game's GM.
    While I know that deleting a post would be quite useful for many who make mistakes or what have you (I know I've messed up and wanted to delete posts in the past too lol), I don't think it's a very good idea to allow the original poster (but yes the GM) to delete their own post
    Mainly because I've known quite a few situations where:
    1. "Delete everything!" -> come back next day and regret it.
    2. "Delete everything!" -> People had replied to it and now there's a weird gaping hole in the story when you re-read it.
    (tho you can argue this will happen with editing also XD that someone could edit all their posts to say something like "ignore please"; but it's still proof that something was there).

I like the grayed out idea, maybe the OP can mark their posts for deletion and then they will be grayed out, and the GM can decide if it will break the story flow or if it can be safely deleted.

Just my two cents on the matter.

(ooc)