Login to your account

Thread: Valentine's Day Thread

Valentine's Day Thread

o o

So, Valentines day is coming up. Some celebrate it with a smile, and some loathe the holiday with a passion. Where do you stand? Do you like to stray away from the more commercial and traditional gifts and routines, or does a classic gesture warm your heart?

Share with us your experiences and opinions, the good and the bad are welcome!

Since I am a big fan of getting our little community together in social dandy-ness, I will be uploading playlists, coming up with games and setting up a little "Anonymous Valentine" event. :D

o o o

Anonymous Valentine Event

I will start taking Valentine's! Keep in mind, it's not like you are confessing your love or anything like that; (you can if you want to, I know I'm irresistible.) feel free to send whatever you want, a creepy greeting, a message about how much you think someone is cool or special, or ya know... whatever.

Feel free to start sending your messages to either Utopia's or my PM box, titled "Cupid, shoot me." and be sure to inform us if you want it anonymous or not. And you can trust us, we won't blow anyone's cover. xD And sometime on Valentine's Day I will send them all out accordingly!

Last edited by Schizophrenic; 02-12-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

Valentine's is... it's cute, I think. I mean, there's always the argument that it's a huge commercialized event and partners shouldn't show greater appreciation for each other on some marketed date, BUT, with that said, I think that the gestures taken are all rather endearing. I can't quite articulate how I feel about this date (other than that I think of it rather positively), but, in brief: The fact that someone else was willing to do the things they did — even if they poured money into corporate pockets — is something worth smiling about.

And, generally speaking, in a relationship, if, on Valentine's Day, NOTHING happens... I get kind of irritated. Not gonna lie... lol. But am I going to blow up and throw a tantrum? No. I'll just... be upset... by myself. LOL. .______.;

But this Valentine's Day falls on two midterms, LOL. So... I think, at the end of the day, I just want to come home and crawl into bed and sleep, lol.

I find Valentine's Day to be silly. I don't see why one day has to involve presents of love. Real relationships don't have to have a special day. I find it to be a waste of money and effort. It also tends to be one sided- women expect a lot, but get a man flowers and they are insulted. My husband doesn't get me gifts for V-day or my birthday or anything specific. He gets me something when he sees it and thinks of me. I do the same. We spend time with each other everyday just chatting about our day and our thoughts. (My husband is also my best friend.) So when V-day pops up it isn't special, it is just a day named after a dead saint.

But, then again, I am bad at being a princess.

And I am Jewish, why would I celebrate a Saint's day?I

I sort of love/hate Vday in all honesty. Well I dunno if I would go so far as to ever say that I love it I guess. However, yes there is a part of me that is totally into the having a day where someone takes the time to do something special to show that they thought of me. But I also hate it because of the fact of how lonely it can make a lonely person feel... and because yeah, going to feel down if forgotten on that day.

I agree with Utopia on how it shouldn't be just focused towards women however. I've ALWAYS believed that Vday is about celebrating a relationship, and both partners in the relationship. Both women and men should be spoiled... I've never understood why people don't do it like that tbh. And actually I do agree that there shouldn't HAVE to be a special day taken for someone to do special things... it is a good idea anyways because life can get so busy and hectic, filled with stress that sometimes you just don't think about doing such things. (This is why my husband and I have always celebrated our anniversary every month, because we believe it should be important to take time out with each other more often then just a couple times a year.)

Like I know if there wasn't an occasion to take the time to celebrate it, my husband wouldn't ever stop to think of something just cuz his mind doesn't work like that. So it's a nice reminder I think.
    ~RL= Nightmare... RP Interest= Bedridden...~

Artist and Writer: http://tigerkytti.deviantart.com/
    Self Proclaimed Goddess of RP, and Corrupter of the Innocent!
    The Jayded Tygress
    Kytti

These are usually the general array of opinions regarding the holiday. But I've spent a lot of time flip flopping on the subject through my life.

As a little one I adored the holiday, seeing as it was my dad's favorite. He used to always give me some kind of little chocolate box, or a stuffed animal of some sort. He is one of those guys who is kind of awkward / bad at showing emotion and things like that so I think he uses the holiday as an excuse to do things "only softies would do."

Once I got into school, Valentine's Day started to become something else. Usually it would just be a day where every kid got a valentine from everyone and we all ate candy, but then people started writing notes on them, or putting extra hearts and things like that... and I started not to like the holiday so much. It seemed competitive, and for someone who didn't receive "special" valentines it just rubs in that you don't have a "valentine" on this day, or any day of the year.

So for a while I blew it off, got angsty and said the holiday was for chumps. I wouldn't get anyone anything, and told everyone I didn't want anything either. ( That way, I could pass it off as I told everyone not to, instead of nobody cared to. )

And then highschool hit, and things started to change. My school did anonymous gifting, you could purchase flowers and candy through the school and have them delivered to the persons home room anonymously or with your name on it. (All the funds went to Prom or something... I don't really know. xD) And I started to receive flowers, as romantic gestures. It's kind of funny, but I feel like because my friends were all "odd" like me, expressing feelings was painfully difficult. So a day where you wouldn't be alone in doing it, you could anonymously send tokens of affection.

Then my senior year hit, and a boy who was very nice... but very over the top... sent bouquets, a huge stuffed bear, bags of chocolate and a painting to my homeroom. And then I started to be on the other side of things, word of all the stuff I got was passing fast and before I knew it I was getting glared and at heckled throughout the day.

So my opinion of Valentine's Day during grades 1-12 is not that awesome. The abundance of "romance" (if you want to even call it that) in the air on this day makes it even more apparent to those who lack it. And even if you are enjoying every second of your chocolate filled day, there is always going to be someone who is hating every moment.

But now that I'm long since out of high school, and in a normal relationship. Valentine's Day is a lot like... our anniversary. Both of us are terrible at romance, and in no way do our lives parallel anything in a romantic comedy. Like Utopia, we are best friends. But we are also very low key. So Valentine's Day is an excuse to get us to put on some nice clothes we never touch and go out on the town to spoil ourselves, instead of being frugal.

It's not so much about flowers and chocolates. ( oh, and it never was about jewelry. I have a lock and chain choker I haven't taken off in 8 years so I don't really wear anything else.) We live in the same house, so we pay the same bills and buy stuff we both use... so now it's just more about celebrating how awesome we are. Because sometimes we get too distracted with the daily hub bub.

Okay, so I figured I will start taking Valentine's! Keep in mind, it's not like you are confessing your love or anything like that; (you can if you want to, I know I'm irresistible.) feel free to send whatever you want, a creepy greeting, a message about how much you think someone is cool or special, or ya know... whatever.

I was going to make an alt username "Cupid" for you to send your messages to, but everyone will know I will be the one forwarding them so what's the point? ;p Anyway, feel free to start sending your messages to my PM box, titled "Cupid, shoot me." and be sure to inform me if you want it anonymous or not. And you can trust me, I won't blow anyone's cover. xD And sometime on Valentine's Day I will send them all out accordingly!

Hehe, how cute.

Thanks, I know it's kind of corny... and super cheesy, but anything to get the social community together!

I'll actually have to think of things then. Maybe we can have a secondary person to send out V-Day wishes...you know, for the people who want to send them to you.

Haha, uhm I didn't think about that! Sure, if you wouldn't mind joining in on the festivities? You can feel free to come up with other event ideas too I'll put you on the OP to make sure people know.

No problem.

I will think about other events. I was going to say something about anti-Valentines wishes, but that's just mean and I don't want to encourage that.

Yeah, lol. That might get a little harsh. cx

Valentine Sent!

On the ball. Yep yep.

Sent out a little over a dozen this morning, not sure if anymore are going to come in but hey...

Happy Valentine's Day WTF~!

The love stinks Pandora station is pretty kickin'. :D

I think Valentine's Day is very hard on lonely people. It's also very commercialized nowadays. Why would you need a specific day for it? Shouldn't every day in a relationship be cherished, just not one special day? Also it feels quite aimed toward women, no offense. I don't think guys cares so much about it.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

This is a day late, but... lol, I thought this was kind of nerdy... but cute. LOLOL.

http://fosslien.com/heart/

Awh damn! I wish I had this yesterday! xD Good find, jing!!