Login to your account

Thread: Glossary of terms - Help a staffer out!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    How about...

GH: Game Host (since game masters are called hosts here?)
    PM: private message (for people asking to PM them/newbies to forums too)
    PC: playable character (there's npc and oc but I didn't see PC)
    AU: alternative/Alternate universe (for fandom characters in other universes)
    Crossover: (similar to the aforementioned multiverse)
    Double/Doubling: which someone mentioned in a 1on1 request and I'm not certain what they mean (but I guess they mean playing two characters or something to match up lol)

In regards to furry, I think you should distinguish Kemonomimi (human characters with animal features- this is usually just ear and tails, and sometimes paws but nothing else: for instance catgirls, catboys, most kitsunes in human form, etc) with fully furry (animal characters with furry features- fur on the skin, snout, usually animal-like hind legs, etc, etc) characters. Because for instance I like kemonomimi but not furry so to have it badly advertised is augh. :P
    And I guess in general Antromorphism? (human qualities are given to non-human beings, objects, etc; like when you draw your computer as a person for instance, and the words seems to comprise furry and such too)

In regards to the word "seke" (from the seme/uke thing), isn't is "suke?" I always wondered. :P

(ooc)

In regards to the word "seke" (from the seme/uke thing), isn't is "suke?" I always wondered. :P
    Pointless reply is pointless, but the reason it's seke and not suke is how the words are broken up. In japanese seme is せめ (せ = se め = me). And Uke is うけ (う = u け = ke). So for the Japanese speaker to split it up into s + uke would be near impossible- as s isn't a stand alone consonant in the Japanese language. So they just take the first kana part of seme (せ se) and the latter of uke (け ke) to make seke! (Though, if you're ever speaking with a japanese-born yaoi fan they may sometimes forgo the word seke in favor of the phrase Riba (リバ). It means the same thing, riba is just slang for the English loanword "reversible.")

Ohh, thanks for clearing that up! I'm from the generation where yaoi was just newish and there were no sekes haha. (Or rather they were just called reversible :P) And when I "got back" into the community everyone was otaku-ing it all over the place with "seke this" "suke that" (hence my not knowing if it was seke or suke) "fujoshi day" and "moe the other" and I was like "whut, my Japanese lessons didn't cover those sort of terms". <.<;;; (had to actually google for an updated "otaku" word reference, felt so old XDDD) At first I always thought it just meant sasoi uke. XD

(ooc)