Login to your account

Thread: The Skyrim Discussion Thread

The Skyrim Discussion Thread

Seeing as Skyrim is such a huge thing and I can easily discuss it in a forum in pages, I've decided it would be good to set this up beforehand. Feel free to talk about it here. Since It's such a large world with a countless number of quests, talk about what you find, what your character is capable of, anything you want.

In my case, I'm playing a female Imperial Mage and am currently doing the Winterhold College quests. I haven't unlocked many of the dragon shouts but I'm badass with lighting spells.
    " I am the bone of my sword
    Steel is my body and fire is my blood
    I have created over a thousand blades
    Unknown to Death, Nor known to Life
    Have withstood pain to create many weapons
    Yet, those hands will never hold anything
    So as I pray, unlimited blade works. "

I play a female dark elf. Not sure what I can categorize myself as, seeing as I take in a little bit of everything. I specialize in one handed weapons, light armor and stealth. I would like to say I lean toward a strange mix of rogue and warrior but I have no heavy lean as of yet.

I'm only level seven right now, but I'm aiming to ally myself with the Stormcloaks. The dragon shouts make me laugh, I didn't expect the first one I'd learn to sound like "BOOOOSH!" but it makes me laugh every time. I actually just got finished up speaking with the ol' greybeards... although currently, I am trying to catch up on some minor quests in the Whiterun before I venture onward, I am a sucker for talking to every single person I meet.
    And I hope you have not a single still moment.

I would definitely recommend doing side quests whenever you can. The bonuses and the experience are invaluable since the difficulty of the game is so much greater than in Oblivion. The monsters don't stay at your level, you actually have to level up to take on the monsters in certain dungeons. I was doing the quest before final quest for Winterhold and I had to fight a wraith who could kill me in two hits. By the way, I'm the Arch-Mage now and it's awesome!

I'm not sure who I'm siding with. Imperials are dicks but the Stormcloaks views are too one-sided for me. I plan to stay neutral in case there's a path I can take in which everybody wins.

I'm not much of a magic user this run through, but I think my next character will be. My guy is a mage and damn does it look fun, but I hate backpedaling so i dunno if one class is easier to handle than the other. xD And yeah, right when I first started playing I wandered into a Frost Troll and it punched me in the face... instant death.

My character is becoming a little more deviously dark than I had previously expected... but it has its benefits. Also, not sure if you got this one already, but there is a dragon word located in The Dark Brotherhood base, on the back wall of their main room where the little pool of water is.

There's also one in the dungeon of the second Companion quest. I'm taking a break from my Mage run to work on a warrior thief.

What level did you get on your Mage? And thanks for the tip ^^

14 I believe. Margin of error being a level or two.

I'm level 15 right now, and damn... i need a better strategy when killing dragons. x-x

I take forever... my ranged attacks just aren't that powerful. And they don't actually stay on the ground until they are less than half health anyway. When this site gets active again. I want to make a Skyrim-like game.

I usually take cover and wait until I've mapped out their movements. Then I charge with dual weapons and try and do as much damage as possible while I'm getting hit by their breath and then retreat. Then when they're on the ground, I snipe at them with the bow and arrow so they don't kill me with their bite attack.

I'm playing a warrior Nord, and I'm like level 37 or something. I'm playing on PS3 and right now my save file size is either at or approaching 10mb. I've really been enjoying the hell out of this game, but now It's really lagging bad on me. I've read that the lag tends to correlate with the size of your save, the amount of time you play, or just what is going on throughout Skyrim. My personal experience so far is pointing towards it being all three of them, with the file size the most prominent culprit. I'm wondering if anyone else here is having a similar problem.
    Last edited by Mitsukashira; 11-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.

I've always kept separate saves and I'm running one main and two alts. My main is experiencing some wierdness with the graphics as I reach the ending of certain dungeons. I was in this draugr crypt and when I killed the boss, The walls began to flash green as if the graphics were bugging out. I had to quit the game and start it again to make it go away.

I haven't experienced any graphical issues with the game. My only problem with it is this lag I'm experiencing. For the first time it got so bad I had to turn it off. The game seriously felt like it was not only lagging, but running at 15 frames per second.

In other news, I fought two dragons in a row today! I'm just doing my thing, running from Winterhold to a deadra shrine, when I hear that familiar roar. I look up and there was not one, but TWO dragons soaring around above me. The first one swooped down and fought me. It was a basic frost dragon, so I made short work of it. The next was an elder dragon, which I have not yet fought. That one was a bit harder, and I was forced to use some potions to come out of it alive. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this yet-- it was really awesome.

Almost. When I was running from Malkrath to Alduin's Wall (Minor spoiler) There was a dragon flying along the same path as me. I wasn't really prepared to face a dragon alone so I let it fly by. Then I went back on my path, only to find that there was a Blood Dragon attacking two of my allies for that particular quest. Luckily they did some decent damage so I was able to take it down. Still, I don't think I would have been able to take two dragons in a row.

Ahh, playing as a Nord affords me a 50% resistance to ice damage, so I was at an advantage from the start. I also have Legendary Dragon Scale armor (set), a Legendary Glass Sword, and Yagsmar's(sp) shield (affords me a 20% resistance to magic). Needless to say, I'm pretty powerful at the moment. I'm currently waiting to get 100 skill enchantment so I can enchant my gear how I want. Until then I'm pretty much playing without any sort of enchantments-- I do use enchanted rings and necklaces that I find. Get some good fire and ice resistances and the dragons turn into a joke.

Ah, I'm so happy I found this forum.

I just got the game two days ago, and haven't sold as much as my soul to the game as I've wanted to. We recently got Netflix as well, so, I'm a little bit caught between watching every single episode of LOST, Glee, and just bad movies in general. Such guilty pleasures.

Anyway, back to Skyrim! I created an Imperial. Should have paid more attention to the war and what not. I'm fighting mostly with a shield and sword. Gosh, I freaking love the finishing moves. xD I wish I could see that every time I fought something.

I just killed my first dragon today. Before, I kinda just went exploring, and doing very few quests for people. Basically got my feet wet a little. But I'm loving it. Earlier this morning, I joined the Companions guild, and I'm about to start running their little errands before I can prove my worth. :/

Oh, I had this follower, Sven, who you get in the first city. Riverwood, I think? He's been pretty good to me. I recently just sent him back home to grab Lydia once I got promoted Thane. She's just not the same.. Sigh... xD

P.s: Giants and mammoths make me want to pee my pants. Seriously. lol

If you love the special kill animations, wait until you start decapitating people. There's nothing like taking out three or four enemies all stylish like, and then on the last guy, spinning around and lopping his head off with a single swing.

As for my update, I've hit 100 enchant, and I have all of my dragonscale armor in god mode. Here's a short list of the bonuses I get now:

120 (or more) health
    120 (or more) stamina
    40% resistance to magic
    37% resistance to fire and electricity damage
    80% increase in one-handed damage
    40% increase in blocking effectiveness
    40% increase to archery damage
    20% increase to alchemy

Not only that but I have an armor rating above 700 with a full set of armor, and above 600 if I don't use a helmet. Damage protection from armor caps off at the late 500's (can't be assed to find the exact number), so I'm always getting the 80% reduction to damage thanks to my armor. I've pretty much turned the game into a joke with this set of armor, and only one enemy even came close to getting me to half health. It was this old dead Dragon Cultist Nord named Rhogad(sp?), who was shooting fire everywhere and had a bunch of minions for me to fight. Admittedly, I wasn't fighting very smartly, because I knew I was now a giant damage sponge.

If anyone wants a tip, get enchanting to 100, get smithing to 100, and then enchant some clothes, boots, braces, a ring, and a necklace with "fortify smithing", and you'll be able to make "nearly" any armor set hit the damage protection barrier. This means you can use any applicable armor (you need to be able to upgrade it to "legendary" status) and have it be just as good as dragon or deadra armor.

Oh, almost forgot, my glass sword killed a Dragon in four power strikes without enchantments.

Speaking of Dragons, I fought two in a row again. First was a lame normal dragon that went down super fast (before I made my gear all super), and the other was an Elder. Now, this was no ordinary battle. At first it was pretty normal. I shot some arrows at it to get it plop down and fight me like a... man-dragon thingy. Then it soared back up, and did it's dive bomb attack, where he sort of skids across the ground. This is where it got weird. The dragon just flew right into the side of the mountain I was on, and the animation of the ground deforming still played out right under my feet. Knowing that the game just screwed up big time, I rush over to the edge, and see the dragon just climbing on the side of the mountain. This wasn't animation climbing, but rather it just spazzing out on the rocks, and standing in the air. At one time it was even doing flips and fighting me upside down or sideways. It was pretty damn wild, and I was forced to sort of scale down the side of this steep ass mountain just to fight it, and then all the way down after it's rag-dolling corpse. I actually died once while doing this, as I fell to far, and upon reloading I got the same exact results with the Dragon flying face first into the mountain.

If anything, Skyrim is pretty damn consistent in wanting me to see some wild, glitchy stuff, and for that I thank it!

I used to talk about Skyrim....but then I took an arrow to the knee.

*takes and arrow to the knee* MOTHERF-

UGH YOU TOTALLY WOULD lmfao.

Let me guess.... someone stole your sweetroll?

Hey. Youtube corrupts the mind with the Skyrim meme infesting pretty much every video....

SOMEONE STOLE MY SWEET ROLL? But why?! Wait! I didn't have a sweet roll!

My computer would explode with all these mods... I should get back to play Skyrim.

I got back into Skyrim a while ago after not playing for a few months. Archery continues to be the most OP skill, for serious. Do the obligatory power lvling of smithing and enchantment, then bash out a daedric bow and watch as dragons die in less than 10 ten shots, even on master difficulty. Being able to abuse Faendal to reach lvl 50 in archery before even getting to Whiterun just makes the game that much more ridiculously easy. It's for this reason that I'm going for a master poisoner kind of dealy, all points in alchemy, stealth and pickpocket, and maybe speech as well. Dying a lot so far, so it's definitely a challenge, but I think I can pull it off given enough time.