Login to your account

Thread: So, why didn't you join that roleplay?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For me, it is the originality of the plot and the time it seems that the GM has put into crafting the game. I also prefer "Chapter" games over location games- though I will play location games if the theme is good and works with the local type setting. If a game does seem interesting, I will see if I can picture a character in the setting. If I cannot, I pass. The GM has to seem dedicated and able to lead a story, but at the same time adaptable enough to roll with the punches that good players will throw their way.

I generally pass on unscripted games. The "here is a setting aaaand...go" type games. They tend to fizzle out and have no direction. People "blow their wad" on their character angst/history fairly quickly and then there is nothing left interesting in the game.

There is also just that initial feeling. The feeling you get when you read the overview and know that you just have to join a game. Some games just don't have that. They feel flat and uninspired.

Also, I hate elves. It is an irrational hatred, but a strong one that whips me up into a frothy rage (which is 7 times more potent than a plain old rage). As such, I steer clear of games that are "pick a race", meaning that any race is allowed.

----------edit------>
    Another thing that makes me skip a game- if I go to read the over view and it is type in size 1 font in light colors that I can't read, I don't bother.
    Last edited by Utopia; 11-12-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
    I generally pass on unscripted games. The "here is a setting aaaand...go" type games. They tend to fizzle out and have no direction. People "blow their wad" on their character angst/history fairly quickly and then there is nothing left interesting in the game.
    I have seen that type of roleplays at LiveJournal. Generally all panfandom roleplays are like that. However in one panfandom roleplay I follow the mods and admins now and then throws in a major storyline. Those are rather interesting e.g. they change the setting or stirs some trouble among the players.
    Zone District

"The journey is more important than the destination"

Quote Originally Posted by Brook V View Post
    I have seen that type of roleplays at LiveJournal. Generally all panfandom roleplays are like that. However in one panfandom roleplay I follow the mods and admins now and then throws in a major storyline. Those are rather interesting e.g. they change the setting or stirs some trouble among the players.
    It takes a good group of Admin/GMs to lead a game like that. (And any game in general.) But, that is usually why I steer clear of panfandoms and fandoms in games.

I agree with you on the "level" of roleplay thing as well. I prefer more advanced games, but some styles are really fun as beginner games as well. I actually prefer games where you don't have to write a "minimum" number of paragraphs...that keeps people from writing novels in posts and keeps the game moving.

I agree with Maneki Neko- I hate waiting on people. I actually quite like a blend of forum and chat games. If you can get people to all agree to show up at X time, you can actually have a nice blend of forum and chat. Some scenes are really fun to do as chatters- like fight scenes and scenes where there is a lot of interaction between players. (It would be awesome if we had a chatter here and the logs would save to the games they are associated with. *nudge nudge wink wink*)